F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Door Pin Rattle
Studio RSR

08-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
NBMW30
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i Msport BSM

Door Pin Rattle

Hello all,

I have a major annoying intermittent rattle coming from my passenger side door pin, seems to be just a little more lose then the other ones. I've read this is a common problem and it's a waste to changed by the dealer Bc it can just happen again. Does anyone know how to exactly get the trim around the pin off ? So I can put some felt tape in their?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMW30 View Post
Hello all,

I have a major annoying intermittent rattle coming from my passenger side door pin, seems to be just a little more lose then the other ones. I've read this is a common problem and it's a waste to changed by the dealer Bc it can just happen again. Does anyone know how to exactly get the trim around the pin off ? So I can put some felt tape in their?

Thanks guys
I've heard people have pried it up with a credit card.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Yes mine did the exact same thing on the passenger side. Drove me crazy. A credit card is a bit too flimsy for this imo and can break. I tried that method and didn't feel comfortable doing it as it takes a fair bit of force to get the lock pin housing out (at least on my car anyways). I used a trim removal tool and after some strategic prying it popped out. I layered the inside of the pin housing with a couple layers of black hockey tape and that did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Kdavis61
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
Yes mine did the exact same thing on the passenger side. Drove me crazy. A credit card is a bit too flimsy for this imo and can break. I tried that method and didn't feel comfortable doing it as it takes a fair bit of force to get the lock pin housing out (at least on my car anyways). I used a trim removal tool and after some strategic prying it popped out. I layered the inside of the pin housing with a couple layers of black hockey tape and that did the trick.
I did the same thing but with electrical tape. Worked like a charm!
2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i--2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
1992 Mercedes G320D--2013 LR Range Rover Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #5
NBMW30
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i Msport BSM

Quote:
Quote:

So you just pried the trim piece that goes around the pin? I agree it is quite hard to pry off and I feel like it's gonna break.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 10:39 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I usually just pop off the whole door card when taking out the pin trim. Lots of videos on how to do that (you'll need trim removal tools and a T20 torx driver). The pin trim has tabs that recess at the 4:30 and 7:30 positions (I can't exactly recall if they're on the interior or exterior side of the door card, but I believe interior).

I lined the interior of those pieces with felt tape.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2017, 11:12 PM   #7
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBMW30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

So you just pried the trim piece that goes around the pin? I agree it is quite hard to pry off and I feel like it's gonna break.
It does feel like its gonna break, just be careful and get a feel for it. It appears to be a pretty sturdy piece unlike a lot of the other plastic parts on these cars though.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #8
Tavicu
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Yeeey

Finally made the courage to get the pins out. Used some electrical tape and now everything it's silent!

I've started the rattle hunt (find it and kill/tape it) )
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
lefthander
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavicu View Post
Yeeey

Finally made the courage to get the pins out. Used some electrical tape and now everything it's silent!

I've started the rattle hunt (find it and kill/tape it) )
How?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 03:13 AM   #10
Tavicu
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthander View Post
How?
How what? How i got the pins out?

It's hard at the beginning because you feel that they will break. What i did was taking a flat screwdriver and wrap it in electric tape so i don't scratch something.

After that it's easy. The door pin has three pins, once you force two of them you can remove it with hand
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
gb3518
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i M Sport

Great post. Fixed my issue as well.
Appreciate 0