F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Auto-dimming exterior mirrors
proTUNING Freaks

05-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #23
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Oh boy, not again
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Oh boy, not again
again?

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #25
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
again?
Options that we don't have in Canada/North America. Or don't behave the way they do in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #26
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
Options that we don't have in Canada/North America. Or don't behave the way they do in Europe.
I find that hard to believe, seeing how they do advertise about it on the bmwusa.com site. If it's advertised and they didn't deliver, they will see a lot of angry people, I'm sure.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #27
yerffejleahcim
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3 Alpine White

I was able to confirm tonight that it is only the interior rear view mirror is auto-dimming. Not happy with this especially here in Hawaii it gets so dark and the lights from behind get annoying.

2016 F80 M3 Alpine White / Sakhir Orange / DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #28
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ok, have confirmed the "Heated mirorrs" are also Electro Chromatic (Dimming) and the North American cars have the Auto dimming mirror housing

So the parts are there to dim

Question is why are owners not seeing the dimming.
Coding ?

We need a Euro member with the option to confirm if shining a strong flashlight at the interior sensor makes their outside mirrors dim
      05-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #29
xit2050
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F30 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
We need a Euro member with the option to confirm if shining a strong flashlight at the interior sensor makes their outside mirrors dim
I have ordered the option, but my car won't be delivered before mid July...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #30
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerffejleahcim View Post
I was able to confirm tonight that it is only the interior rear view mirror is auto-dimming. Not happy with this especially here in Hawaii it gets so dark and the lights from behind get annoying.
Especially with those trucks and civics around that think it's cool to have extra blinding lights that are adjusted way off :/

Quote:
Ok, have confirmed the "Heated mirorrs" are also Electro Chromatic (Dimming) and the North American cars have the Auto dimming mirror housing

So the parts are there to dim

Question is why are owners not seeing the dimming.
Coding ?

Thanks E90 I have send a PM to Robin, hopefully he has the dimming mirrors and some time to see if he sees anything different than us

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #31
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Okay, so my UK spec 320d comes with auto-dimming rear view and exterior mirrors. I shone a torch at the sensor in my rear view mirror and watched the coatings of both the rear view and exterior mirrors darken in response.

You can clearly see the coating on both mirrors during the day, it gives them a subtle blue hue.

On the exterior mirrors the border of the coating stops about 8mm short of the edge of the mirror, all the way around - I will try to get a picture tomorrow but it looks a bit like a film of screen protector that has been placed on the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #32
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Okay, so my UK spec 320d comes with auto-dimming rear view and exterior mirrors. I shone a torch at the sensor in my rear view mirror and watched the coatings of both the rear view and exterior mirrors darken in response.

You can clearly see the coating on both mirrors during the day, it gives them a subtle blue hue.

On the exterior mirrors the border of the coating stops about 8mm short of the edge of the mirror, all the way around - I will try to get a picture tomorrow but it looks a bit like a film of screen protector that has been placed on the mirror.
Great, thanks for the test, that all sounds correct
      05-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #33
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

svache we now need you to confirm with a bright light at the interior rear looking sensor that your exterior mirrors do not dim while the inside one does.

Keep a good lookout on the exterior ones, maybe they just dont dim as much as the older ones
      05-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #34
Rdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

I've read this thread yesterday and I forgot about posting a comment!

My 320i EU spec car has auto-dimming too and can confirm they work (ext & int), but I can confirm the issue too

On daylight, the exterior mirrors do not dim at all on mine (tested two times, will test it again after reading PrinceBarin's post). I can shine a bright light at it, it will not dim (exterior). At night, they work occasionally. I cannot pin-point when not and when they do, but they do not work always when the interior mirror dims, like the 5-serie one does (drove a F10).

Mostly if a car comes from a direction they work, but if a car comes straight from behind, they do not seem to work most of the time. Sometimes they do, so I'm really confused about when they work and what triggers it (direction? brightness?).

If I shine a bright light at it in the night, they all work nicely. The exterior has some kind of film over it that dims and it 'undims' smoothly, very nice.

Last edited by Rdx; 05-08-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #35
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
svache we now need you to confirm with a bright light at the interior rear looking sensor that your exterior mirrors do not dim while the inside one does.

Keep a good lookout on the exterior ones, maybe they just dont dim as much as the older ones
Thanks, I will do this during day time today and when it is darker. I will report back later tonight after I did all this =)

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Well the good news is that the exterior rear view mirrors DO in fact dim!

The bad news is that they seem to take their sweet time. I shone a light onto the interior rear view mirror and it started dimming almost immediately. I think it had completely dimmed in about 2 seconds.

The exterior rear view mirrors started to dim maybe 1 second after the interior one started, but the progress is much slower. From my seating perspective it seems to start dimming from the top which is odd and takes maybe 5 seconds to completely dim. The strength of the dimming also seems to be less than the interior. I will post pictures shortly.

I'm not sure why I'm not noticing this at night, possibly no light has shone onto the interior sensor for long enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #37
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

Here are side-by-side shots with the mirrors normal and dimmed as tested during my flashlight experiment.

Obviously my testing wasn't very rigorous or scientific, but it clearly shows that the dimming is actually occuring in spite of what I'm experiencing while driving at night.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #38
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, I just checked with a strong flashlight and Raspartan is indeed right. It does get darker on the exterior mirrors but slower than the interior. Also I noticed it needs a LOT of light to actually get darker.

I think that we didn't notice it before as much as I did with my other car because of this delay and because it needs to be a lot stronger.

Also, something I noticed, is that there was no blank parts on the edge of the mirrors like I had with my X5 or like I see in my interior mirror. This especially made the difference very clear at night because you'd still see a bit of 'normal' mirror on the outer edges.

So yeah, it does seem to work, just not as obvious as the older cars had

edit: I just realize I also often have my rear window shade up at night (basically almost always) and this, of course, also stops light from coming onto the interior mirror.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #39
Rdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Mm, E90Fleet do you know why EU cars have that film over the exterior mirrors and others don't?

I do see the outer edges not dimmed, but as seen on the picture above, there exterior mirrors have full dim like the F10.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #40
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

I should add that the camera makes the dimmed mirror appear a bit darker than it actually is. My impression was that the interior mirror got darker than the exterior ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #41
jpa74
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i sports line

This is interesting. My exterior mirrors dim, and I feel like the light is too dim. Interior mirrors are just right.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #42
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep

E90Fleet, how does these work? Rather, how is the intensity regulated?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #43
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

I just realised yesterday that the difference between auto dimming on E90 and F30 might be that the F30 mirrors have cameras built into them! Surround view requires dimming external mirrors and people here are writing that the mirrors don't seem to follow the internal mirror. It might be that each mirror now is managing itself!

That could be something good! If I have the trunk in the F31 filled to the ceiling it normally could not make the external mirrors dim since no light from behind reaches the internal mirror, but with these external mirrors they would independently dim based on the amount of light that reaches the mirror from outside the car, regardless of the dimming status of the internal mirror.

Could someone test this?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #44
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Did anyone test my theory in previous post? I am about to order a car and can't decide if the exterior dimming is worth it.
Appreciate 0