F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > M6 Gran Coupe vs. '12 335
proTUNING Freaks

11-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
KGIL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335

M6 Gran Coupe vs. '12 335

I had the pleasure of driving my friends new M6 the other day and I had a few observations I wanted to share. First off, the car looks so cool. It has such nice lines. It's using much nicer materials, especially the leather. I would swear the "leather" in my car is pleather compared to the M6. You've also got to appreciate the carbon fiber roof and dash.

Active sound - While the car sounds amazing, even at idle, it also really intrudes into the cabin......which I like. i wish my car did that a little more. I know my 335 sounds great. At least, I think it does. I sort of have to open my door to hear it or have someone else drive it. I wish we could have more of that sound come through the cabin. His car was also much more solid-feeling and sounding than the 3. I've had my car since it had 3k miles on the clock and it never felt new-car solid. I thought maybe I just got a bad egg, but I drove new 3's and they felt the same.

Driving impression - The M6 is really fast from a stop and more neck-snapping than the 335 from 30mph to 90. That's another thing; it really gets up to 95mph much quicker than I'd be comfortable with. And then when you're up there, it doesn't feel all that fast. I love that M steering wheel. It isn't all that much thicker than my wheel, but nicer material and ergonomics.

Here's the thing that really surprised, me though; it was the transmission. I thought with it being an M6, it would have DCT.....and maybe it does, but I don't feel the transmission was all that much different than my 335 Sportline. I used both the paddle shifters in manual mode and then just regular Drive in Sport Mode. The shifts a) didn't feel particularly faster and b) engine braking was about the same.

I've always compared my transmission to my fathers 135 M and I love his DCT. Shifts are faster and the car downshifts like a manual. I was theorizing this may be because of the vast different in weight between the M6 and 135??? I don't know.

All I can say is that I came away with much more appreciation of my car when comparing it to a $135k sled.
      11-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGIL View Post

All I can say is that I came away with much more appreciation of my car when comparing it to a $135k sled.

*clears throat* You sir, are nuts.

I would love to drive an M6 GC one day. Pretty much my dream car right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #3
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

Yeah I felt the same way when I spent some time in my friends 911S ( non-turbo ) that cost 115k. While the interior was really nice, the extra 70k he spent compare to my GS Corvette - not sure where all of it went. The suspension was hard as a plank, and it certainly didnt feel more confidence inspiring in the corners. Maybe after I got more used to it I would appreciate it more, but my initial impressions were I could move my GS around a track a lot easier and with less stress. Im not saying it would be faster, just easier to drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

does the 335's come with Dakota leather as standard? or is it that sensatec crap?

I think the M's are still using nappa leather....which is so soft and supple....makes dakota feel like crap
      11-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #5
KGIL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
*clears throat* You sir, are nuts.
No argument here. Just one fella's perspective. Don't get me wrong. The M6 is dream-car worthy and I'd kill a sibling for one. I just have new appreciation for the sport transmission in my car, which I've kind of been on the fence about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
does the 335's come with Dakota leather as standard? or is it that sensatec crap?

I think the M's are still using nappa leather....which is so soft and supple....makes dakota feel like crap
That sensatec stuff is crap.....at least compared to the M6 leather. It must be Nappa.

another observation is that I couldn't wait to try out the Siri function on the steering wheel. We played with it a few times and maybe it just doesn't understand my voice, as it's not my phone, but it wasn't following instructions very well.
      11-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

I had a 2008 M6 before I got my 2014 335i. What year was the M6 GC you drove?

when I first got the M6, the shifts were much faster than my 2008 335i. But when I got my 2014, it felt just as fast. I think this just goes to show how good the SAT in the new F30s truly is.

The M6 is an amazing car. I loved driving it. Unfortunately there wasn't a lot of fun I could have with it (legally) on a small island. I would love to get one again if I move back to the mainland and can really drive it how it's meant to be driven.

My wife hated it because it was too "rough". The only thing she loved was any time we would go to a nice restaurant the car would always be parked right in front of the door by the Valets. Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
KGIL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
I had a 2008 M6 before I got my 2014 335i. What year was the M6 GC you drove?
The M6 Gran Coupe I drove is probably considered a 2015. Aren't they all?

Quote:
when I first got the M6, the shifts were much faster than my 2008 335i. But when I got my 2014, it felt just as fast. I think this just goes to show how good the SAT in the new F30s truly is.
You're right. In regards to slushboxes, the SAT is really good......but it's not a stick and after 6 months of owning my first auto, I'm still going through withdrawal.