F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Screwed up my ebay purchase - any suggestions?
GetBMWParts

05-10-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

Screwed up my ebay purchase - any suggestions?

So I was so excited about buying a set of 403Ms on ebay that I forgot to check the shipping address! I have PayPal one-click ordering enabled on ebay, and just after placing the order realized that the shipping address on file is the old apartment where I lived 5 months back!!

Am I screwed? I got on the phone with ebay but basically they're telling me to work it out with the seller. I have emailed the seller, need to try to get them on the phone when in their working hours.

I searched for similar cases online and found a guy who sold his xbox similarly with his old apartment address and reported that the guy currently living there took it and feigned ignorance, and reading responses there the guy is pretty much screwed.

So did I just learn a super-expensive lesson?!

Just posting this in case anyone has suggestions and also as a heads-up to anyone else who might be doing ebay shopping to be careful..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 02:54 AM   #2
bmwperson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Relax, just call the seller. I don't see why this shouldn't get sorted out.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive 6spd loaded
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 02:54 AM   #3
.Rolex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 535i '14 435i

don't worry about it bruh

seller can always call the shipping agency and change address

just wait for seller to get back to you
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

If someone other than you signs for it then it's the shipping companies fault.
But the seller is the one who had to deal with it since they are the shipper
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
bige1919
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

How far away is your old apartment? Even if it gets shipped there, you can go and pick it up.

I did this not too long ago and they just took the mis-shipped item to the apartment office and I was able to go pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. I was able to talk to the seller, he asked me to add my new address to paypal and get it paypal confirmed and he would ship there.

I was worried because quite a few other people seem to have made this mistake - with much smaller/cheaper purchases tho - and in many of the cases the guy at the old apartment signed a fake name and took it. In my old apartment it doesn't go to the leasing office, it goes directly to your mailbox or doorstep.

I was hoping to get it delivered to a friends place who has a garage but looks like I can't do that, I'll have to give my current apartment address because of the "paypal confirmed" thing.

So how do wheels get delivered in apartments, do they leave such big packages at the office or do they usually give a slip asking you to pick it up from UPS/USPS warehouse? Anyone in an apartment buy wheels and tires online?
      05-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
.Rolex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 535i '14 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
Thanks guys. I was able to talk to the seller, he asked me to add my new address to paypal and get it paypal confirmed and he would ship there.

I was worried because quite a few other people seem to have made this mistake - with much smaller/cheaper purchases tho - and in many of the cases the guy at the old apartment signed a fake name and took it. In my old apartment it doesn't go to the leasing office, it goes directly to your mailbox or doorstep.

I was hoping to get it delivered to a friends place who has a garage but looks like I can't do that, I'll have to give my current apartment address because of the "paypal confirmed" thing.

So how do wheels get delivered in apartments, do they leave such big packages at the office or do they usually give a slip asking you to pick it up from UPS/USPS warehouse? Anyone in an apartment buy wheels and tires online?
usually at the office
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post

From my experience living in an apartment, the packages usually end up in the front office, and a note is left for the person living in the apartment complex. If they attempt to make a few delivery attempts and nobody is able to sign for them, they'll usually hold it at a local hub for you to pick up.
      05-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Just FYI to anyone who might end up in a similar situation - the seller had to cancel the transaction, do a refund and relist the item, then I bought it again giving the correct address this time.

Huge thumbs-up to the seller for taking the risk and doing the refund and relist. (He could've been an ass and insisted on shipping to the address I gave, and when he refunded he took the risk of me just deciding not to buy the item again).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Ugh. Thought the story ended there ^ but no. PayPal placed a limitation on my account thinking the double transaction is fraudulent activity and they likely need a week ("3 to 5 business days") to resolve it! Meanwhile the seller got impatient, contacted me saying another guy is looking to buy those wheels, I told him to go ahead. I'm back in the market.. with a locked account full of my money! Fun.

*Sigh* I guess my car doesn't have those particular whees in its car-ma.

Just a note of caution if you're buying online please PLEASE check your shipping address before you place the order first!
Appreciate 0