F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Tutorial
Extreme Powerhouse

08-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #23
RheelDeal
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Sport

Question in regards to navigation.

I feel like my navigation is always incorrect or uses the longest route instead of the quickest route. I always try to compare with Google maps on my phone. I've tried using dynamic routing and I've also tried without dynamic routing. My navigation has the 2015 update. Any ideas? Are there some other settings I maybe missing?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 11:54 AM   #24
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RheelDeal View Post
Question in regards to navigation.

I feel like my navigation is always incorrect or uses the longest route instead of the quickest route. I always try to compare with Google maps on my phone. I've tried using dynamic routing and I've also tried without dynamic routing. My navigation has the 2015 update. Any ideas? Are there some other settings I maybe missing?
Every navigation system will have priority routes. Google maps vs. Apple Maps vs. Waze vs. iDrive. They will all differ. Some cases, your navigation may use the longest route as some people had posted in this thread. In my case, Dynamic Guidance tended to shorten my trips based on traffic. But for others, it may not work as well. Sometimes people also have a deception of what is the quickest route because they are accustom to what they feel like is quickest, even though it may not be or be the exact same.

My advice is to set your Route Preferences in iDrive to your desired priorities, drive around a bit based off that, and if unsatisfied, try other settings. If you have the latest maps, you have the latests roads possible to drive on.

I believe iDrive maps also do not include what the speed limit is for every road. It just knows streets, highways, freeways, tolls roads, and traffic and prioritizes them accordingly. But that's what I believe, hasn't been confirmed.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0