F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Does anyone enjoy/dislike Active Driving Assistant?
proTUNING Freaks

05-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #23
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
What radar detector do you have?

Blend mount, I presume?

Did you hardwire it?

*this is not a thread jack*
I have a Uniden R3 mounted with the suction cup mounts. And yep, it's hardwired with a MirrorTap cable.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      05-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #24
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

R3 is great RD love mine
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      05-28-2018, 07:46 AM   #25
technologic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 440i

I only use lane departure on long trips on highway. Happy to have it when Want it, but I don't use it much because it's just too sensitive for my liking. Collision warning/mitigation is fantastic IMO. May have saved me from rear ending someone once but I will never know... If I tail gate someone it will show up in the HUD. It's a nanny but the nanny is only trying to help and usually is.... If you don't have HUD I am not sure you'll notice it as often. Blind spot detection is fantastic and like a backup cam I wouldn't buy a car without.

I have a hardwired radar detector and I had to turn laser off but who cares. I have no use for laser warnings because they are noisy and always are too late (my son called it a Merc detector in my last car when I had it enabled). Regular radar guns which is what cops use in my neck of the woods is detected without many false alarms caused by fancy cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 07:19 PM   #26
CrimDoc
North Country Cabriolet Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2019 430i XDrive Convertible

Active Driving Assistant ...

So, I recently purchased a 2019 BMW 430i Convertible (with XDrive).

The car has the Active Driver Assistance feature (but not the Active Driver Assistance Plus package).

The lane departure warning feature seems to work fine, as does the active blind spot warning.

However, the frontal collision, and pedestrian warning systems seem more marginal.

The frontal collision warning seems to only engage when one gets extremely close to the car ahead, and only if one's foot is entirely off the brakes.

The pedestrian warning has never engaged.

I'm just wondering what others experiences with these systems have been? Do they work? How often do they often engage? Do folks find them useful?

I have the system set to the earliest possible warning BTW (early/medium/late).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #27
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Have blind spot detection on our Suv... drives me nuts... but my wife swears by it... being in the city though I see a use for it with all these bike lanes... moped flew up on me as I was about to turn right ... luckily I do everything kinda slow when turning for this fact and all the pedestrians around here... next car will have all the driver assist... wish everyone else was already automated cars... just to crazy around here
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #28
CrimDoc
Rep

Driver Assistance features ...

For what it's worth, I also have a Garmin "DriveAssist" 51 GPS / dash cam unit that has collision / lane departure warning.

The lane departure warning on the BMW is more accurate and less obtrusive (the slight steering wheel vibration is much better than the Garmin screaming at you).

And the GPS tends to "false positive" a lot since it has no idea if you have the blinker on, whether you're braking etc. The only info it has to go on is what the camera sees, and GPS information about how fast you're moving.

But as I said, by the time the Bimmer gets around to warning you about a collision, I think it would be too late to do anything about it.

My initial gut feeling is that "somewhere in the middle" between the GPS and car would be ideal.

Has ANYONE had the pedestrian warning system activate for them?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:39 AM   #29
SJCMcC
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Cabrio

Garage List
I took the car to the dealer on Thursday and reported that the collision warning did not appear to be working....the car is still there. The dealership reported that no faults were reported in the onboard computer register. Just to check they took the car out. They have now reported the issue further to BMW.... I'll post the findings as soon as the dealer get back to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:43 PM   #30
enotech
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 330e

I love all the features I have in my Active Driver Assistance, however, I'm a bit confused as to what features should be included, as I don't seem to have them all, and I possibly have extras.

For example, I have the Active radar cruise control with stop/start, lane departure, blind spot, frontal collision, park assist (automatic parallel parking), and backup cam.

There's talk on here about Speed Limit Indication, and adaptive headlights. I don't have either of those. Are they supposed to be included in the package? It's all a bit confusing.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #31
enotech
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 330e

I thought I'd mention a funny story about the frontal collision feature.

A while ago, on the morning show on one of our local radio stations, one of the DJs was telling about how she was looking after her sister's Volkswagen, which had the frontal collision feature. She was fascinated, and wanted to give it a try (what an idiot). So she drove into her driveway quite quickly and slammed into the back of her own car.

It turns out that the feature was turned off. Why would you even try it? I thought it was pretty funny though.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #32
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

I enjoy having it, good peace of mind, and you always have the option of turning the features on or off with the press of a button.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #33
CrimDoc
Rep

Funny ... but how else can you know how a feature works, other than trying it?

I have no idea if the pedestrian avoidance system works on my car. It's never activated. Now, granted, I've never come close to hitting a pedestrian. But for all I know, if could be broken.

I did actually try to have my wife simulate PREPARING to step off of a curb into the path of the car, to see if that would trigger it, but it didn't.

Since I didn't want to risk a tragic outcome, I did not ask her to ACTUALLY step in front of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enotech View Post
I thought I'd mention a funny story about the frontal collision feature.

A while ago, on the morning show on one of our local radio stations, one of the DJs was telling about how she was looking after her sister's Volkswagen, which had the frontal collision feature. She was fascinated, and wanted to give it a try (what an idiot). So she drove into her driveway quite quickly and slammed into the back of her own car.

It turns out that the feature was turned off. Why would you even try it? I thought it was pretty funny though.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #34
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I've never had Active Driving Assistance on any of my F30's but I do have it in my i3 as well as active cruise. I can say that it has saved me from 1 possible collision on the highway were someone pulled in front of me. I was getting on the brake when I noticed that the car was already braking for me (and the alarm was going off). It was very close, and I think there was a strong chance that I would have rear ended this jerk if not for the early braking. So I fully support this in a daily driver. On the i3, however, you can completely turn it off if you want to. Can you do this on the F30?

The loaner 440i GC I got did have the blind spot detection, which I really liked. However, I did NOT like the wheel vibration. My Subaru does not vibrate and I can clearly see the orange indicator in the mirror. I think that is more than sufficient, the vibrating wheel was annoying. I also have active lane departure correction in my Subaru, and I like it for long long drives. Again, I do not like the vibrating wheel function at all even for lane departure. I think it's distracting. My Subaru merely nudges the wheel to keep me in the lane, if I don't like the nudge, which is most of the time, I turn it off.

As far as having them in high performance cars, I'm on the fence. I don't have these options on my F80, nor do I need them. It's a weekend canyon/track car, so I'd skip it. I don't want the weight, I don't want unnecessary components, and I don't want my wheel to vibrate etc. Proper technique lets me know if someone is in my blind spot, I don't really need a light and vibration. If I can't stay in my lane, perhaps its time to pull over and get coffee. When I'm in my F80, it's all about the drive.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #35
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
I have it in my 3 series and in my X3. Use it all the time. Love it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #36
SJCMcC
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Cabrio

Garage List
To finish my initial concern about the collision avoidance system:

So I've got the car back from the workshop and I've had a chance to talk to the mechanic

1) they read out the onboard computer system and it showed no faults
2) they took the car out to test for themselves and the local dealer was suspicious so they contacted BMW central.
3) BMW central did more Detailed remote diagnostics of the camara and reported everything to be correct.

My personal feeling is that I am a relatively defensive driver and the situations I have perceived as close are not considered as a threat by the system - so as wisely observed in the previous posts it is most definitely NOT worth testing the collision avoidance part of the Driver assistant and hope the system cuts in if I am not paying attention.

I'm really pleased with all the other assistant system although the speed limit indicator can cause you to ware a crooked halo
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #37
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCMcC View Post
To finish my initial concern about the collision avoidance system:

So I've got the car back from the workshop and I've had a chance to talk to the mechanic

1) they read out the onboard computer system and it showed no faults
2) they took the car out to test for themselves and the local dealer was suspicious so they contacted BMW central.
3) BMW central did more Detailed remote diagnostics of the camara and reported everything to be correct.

My personal feeling is that I am a relatively defensive driver and the situations I have perceived as close are not considered as a threat by the system - so as wisely observed in the previous posts it is most definitely NOT worth testing the collision avoidance part of the Driver assistant and hope the system cuts in if I am not paying attention.

I'm really pleased with all the other assistant system although the speed limit indicator can cause you to ware a crooked halo

I think it is supposed to let you take care of most things without warning you. It only warns if it "thinks" you missed something.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 07:10 PM   #38
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I have all this stuff in the X3M40i including adaptive headlights.

I use the Auto Cruise Control quite a bit on the highway and on state roads when I want the car to "keep an eye on the speed" and follow the traffic.

HUD is on all the time....very useful at night...during the day with polarized sunglasses not so good.

ACC and Lane Departure Warning IMO both worth it....The "Keep the F...kin M40i In The Lane" wrestling match with the wheel.....? I keep that off
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #39
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
My Suv has blind spot... My wife likes it and complains the Bimmer doesn't... Me I can't stand it... freaks me out to much.. pedestrian avoidance I think is a great idea especially here in the city ... every day someone gets hit around here seriously... but I personally don't know how sensitive it is and if it would be more of a hindrance here or not... going out of my lane might bug me.... never ever use cruise control... Just for safety I think Hud is a must...
Appreciate 0