F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Bald Tyres & No Tax......... What would you have done?
proTUNING Freaks

06-17-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

Bald Tyres & No Tax......... What would you have done?

Just wondering what others would have done in this situation. Out earlier today at the local supermarket, on my way out with my groceries I passed a parked car, full steering lock on and totally bald front tyre i.e. no tread at all, not quite down to the canvas thought. As I drive out the same car pulls out in front of me and I follow it down the road for a mile or so, long enough to have a good look at the registration plate. When I get home a quick Google shows it's SORN too. So not taxed and bald tyres.

Anyway, after a few minutes deliberation I phoned it in on 101. Not sure if the police will do anything, hopefully if they call by the car will be parked on the road and they can tow it away.

Would others do the same or am I just turning into a grumpy vigilante in my older years?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Grass
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Sounds a correct response to me except I would likely have called 999 lol.

Did that once when following a lorry where the driver was clearly drunk. Police did nothing sadly.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Absolutely I'd report it.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
Edinburra546.50
      06-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

I’m with you on this, highly likely they aren’t the only faults with the car. I had similar deliberations when I followed an old boy staggering out a local supermarket having just topped up his supply of vodka a coke...each to their own until I then saw him drive past me as I was loading the weekly shop into the boot!

Also called 101. End of the day if you’re happy to flout the rules, then you take the chance that someone dobs you in!
      06-17-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Good to hear I'm not alone. No tax is one thing but probably also accompanied with no insurance. It was the thought of someone getting killed after the car careering out of control in the rain that made me decide to call it in.

I would be disappointed if the traffic police don't follow it up but then again they are understaffed and I'm sure that there are more important things to address, speeding BMW drivers for example 😂
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

You may have acted unlawfully though. You're not the owner so shouldn't be checking the insurance status online if you did - even if people do do it to check.

People do have SORN insurance that might cover them to drive limited miles whilst the car is SORN as well as insure it while it is sat on a drive as SORN. This enables them to move their car from garage to garage for example while SORN. So long as it is not a daily drive. Temporary cover doesn't always update the inside database. So it is hard to actually prove whether there was cover in place or not.

The tyres I agree with. Those could be dangerous to the driver and other road users.

So it is a tough one. I hear your frustration. If it bothered me that much. I would upload a video to the Met website and say the tyres were bald without mentioning the insurance.

Just saying.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #8
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surg_Capt_R View Post
You've acted unlawfully though. You're not the owner so shouldn't be checking the insurance status online - even if people do do it to check. People do have SORN insurance that might cover them to drive limited miles whilst the car is SORN as well as insure it while it is sat on a drive as SORN. The tyres I agree with. Those could be dangerous to the driver and other road users.

So it is a tough one. I hear your frustration. If it bothered me that much. I would upload a video to the Met website and say the tyres were bald without mentioning the insurance.

Just saying.
OP never said it was uninsured, just untaxed? Checking that is perfectly legal.
      06-17-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
Just wondering what others would have done in this situation. Out earlier today at the local supermarket, on my way out with my groceries I passed a parked car, full steering lock on and totally bald front tyre i.e. no tread at all, not quite down to the canvas thought. As I drive out the same car pulls out in front of me and I follow it down the road for a mile or so, long enough to have a good look at the registration plate. When I get home a quick Google shows it's SORN too. So not taxed and bald tyres.

Anyway, after a few minutes deliberation I phoned it in on 101. Not sure if the police will do anything, hopefully if they call by the car will be parked on the road and they can tow it away.

Would others do the same or am I just turning into a grumpy vigilante in my older years?
Google says it is SORN too.

KCH1984
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #10
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Quote:

KCH1984
SORN is the tax status, nothing to do with the insurance.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn
      06-17-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Quote:

KCH1984
SORN is the tax status, nothing to do with the insurance.
I updated my post
The point is just because it is SORN doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the move. If it was moving from one storage to another.
Appreciate 1
KCH1984951.50
      06-17-2018, 03:10 PM   #12
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Quote:
I updated my post
The point is just because it is SORN doesn't mean it shouldn't be on the move. If it was moving from one storage to another.
The website suggests otherwise, that once SORN the vehicle shouldn’t be used on the road until taxed again. I think it’s meant to be catch-all and moving from one location to another (certainly via the shops) doesn’t count. Maybe some traders exemption but otherwise I thought pretty black & white?
      06-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #13
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

This was the site I used, not the DVLA website, linked straight from Google after putting the registration number in so no mention of having to be the registered owner before searching.

https://www.checkthecar.com

The GovUK site makes the following statement about SORN. Maybe getting an MOT done on a Sunday!

"When you can drive your vehicle
You can only drive a vehicle with a SORN on a public road to go to or from a pre-booked MOT or other testing appointment. You face court prosecution and a fine of up to £2,500 if you use it on the road for any other reason."
Appreciate 1
KCH1984951.50
      06-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #14
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

If you do phone one of these in, make sure you get a reference number for it from the police operator.

That almost guarantees that it will be looked at a lot more closely.
Because if (for example) the same car is involved in an accident in a couple of weeks time, someone's going to get asked uncomfortable questions about why nothing had been done about it being on the road previously.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      06-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #15
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

I would have tried to have a word directly with the driver. Granted he might have said fuck off, but you also get idiots who just don't look at tyres.

In terms of the morality, none of us are whiter than white but two ton missiles that drive past school kids... dob it in if you have to.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 05:05 PM   #16
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
I would have tried to have a word directly with the driver. Granted he might have said fuck off, but you also get idiots who just don't look at tyres.

In terms of the morality, none of us are whiter than white but two ton missiles that drive past school kids... dob it in if you have to.
I have seen the outcome of that, where someone comments about issue with someone else's car.

Happened in Morrisons, while the person that pointed it out was getting swore at by the other driver, the drivers mate went over and keyed this guy's car.

It's bad enough when you point out someone has parked too close to your car, had that before Christmas and was sworn at etc.

I have phoned the police on a drink driver before, an officer that barely managed to go around a corner leaving camp, luckily the police on A1 caught him quite quickly.

I am with the OP on this in dealing 101.

Around here a confrontation is likely to get you stabbed if it's the wrong type of person.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Well done chap, Gets these mongrels off the road
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:37 AM   #18
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I agree, calling it in is the responsible thing to do.

Whilst it's possible that there could be extenuating circumstances surrounding the SORN, the bald tyre is more of a giveaway and the balance of probability is that it's some lowlife just chancing it. If they were subsequently involved in an accident, who knows what grief could be caused.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #19
ZHP076
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP 076

Garage List
2016 435i ZHP  [0.00]
Unless your ID states that you are a law enforcement officer, you should go about your own business. Ask any former or current totalitarian state about informants. I am sure you have done something in the past that could have been reported by an informant. Maybe the person you are talking about is very poor, he had a choice of feeding his family or buying new tires just to please you. Freedom is a fragile concept,we here in the US are seeing the foundation of our democracy being eroded, and too many are willing to follow in a cult like manner, until of course it turns against them, when by that time it may be too late to reverse. Sorry, for my ranting, but a seemingly benign statement like yours can lead to more than you think.

"the bald tyre is more of a giveaway and the balance of probability is that it's some lowlife just chancing it"
Being poor does not automatically make one a "low life"
2016 435i ZHP #76
RACE CAR
spelled backwards is
RACE CAR
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #20
aloo6
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHP076 View Post
Unless your ID states that you are a law enforcement officer, you should go about your own business. Ask any former or current totalitarian state about informants. I am sure you have done something in the past that could have been reported by an informant. Maybe the person you are talking about is very poor, he had a choice of feeding his family or buying new tires just to please you. Freedom is a fragile concept,we here in the US are seeing the foundation of our democracy being eroded, and too many are willing to follow in a cult like manner, until of course it turns against them, when by that time it may be too late to reverse. Sorry, for my ranting, but a seemingly benign statement like yours can lead to more than you think.
I think your statement is somewhat vague. What if the tyre blows and wipes out another family. No one has to drive.
Appreciate 1
Eimal22.00
      06-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #21
ZHP076
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP 076

Garage List
2016 435i ZHP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloo6 View Post
Quote:
I think your statement is somewhat vague. What if the tyre blows and wipes out another family. No one has to drive.
Quote:

I live in a country where anyone able to sign their name can cary a gun, or several guns, you think I have time to worry about bald tires
2016 435i ZHP #76
RACE CAR
spelled backwards is
RACE CAR
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #22
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

once you have noticed it you cant not notice it - I would rather someone spoke to me in a car park before they called 101 but I'm a reasonable person and would be pleased someone had drawn something I would have overlooked to my attention - Providing it was done in the right manner.

Given the risk associated to me or someone else then I would fully support them being informed by a local law enforcement officer not to drive it again until its sorted. I can forgive genuine accidents but injury or grief caused by negligence boils my pi**