F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Washer fluid and jets not working or reduced -DIY fix
Extreme Powerhouse

04-09-2018, 03:45 AM   #1
smithie
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F34 GT Msport

Washer fluid and jets not working or reduced -DIY fix

Hi All,

Just to share, its a common problem that the filter in the reservoir gets gunky or jets tend to get a bit blocked. The common advise is to remove the bottle and clean the filter.

I found a quick fix while searching for this issue, if you disconnect the tube that goes into the jet outlets and remove the screen wash filler cap, you can then either blow into the tube or as I did use a pump to blow back down the tube. You should see see water or bubbles come back up the filler hole and then the fix should be done.

It may not be a long term fix but when you don't have time to take the wheel off etc it works!

rgds
Smithie
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 05:27 AM   #2
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithie View Post
Hi All,

Just to share, its a common problem that the filter in the reservoir gets gunky or jets tend to get a bit blocked. The common advise is to remove the bottle and clean the filter.

I found a quick fix while searching for this issue, if you disconnect the tube that goes into the jet outlets and remove the screen wash filler cap, you can then either blow into the tube or as I did use a pump to blow back down the tube. You should see see water or bubbles come back up the filler hole and then the fix should be done.

It may not be a long term fix but when you don't have time to take the wheel off etc it works!

rgds
Smithie
I tried this but it didn't really work and it's not a long term fix.

The way I fixed it was to pour some drain unblocker into the washer reservoir. Leave for about half an hour then disconnect the tube from the outlets and put into an empty bottle and pump out the contaminated water. Refill with clean water and repeat to rinse out the reservoir.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkey8 View Post
I tried this but it didn't really work and it's not a long term fix.

The way I fixed it was to pour some drain unblocker into the washer reservoir. Leave for about half an hour then disconnect the tube from the outlets and put into an empty bottle and pump out the contaminated water. Refill with clean water and repeat to rinse out the reservoir.
So just to be clear:
  1. You opened the reservoir cap, added some drain cleaning liquid
  2. Wait about 30 minutes to let it mix with the "gunk"
  3. Then remove the top "filter" from the reservoir so that a tube can fit inside and then pumped out as much fluid as possible
  4. Then put in some distilled water or just filtered water to dilute any remaining drain liquid stuff
  5. Then pumped that out again with the tube
  6. Then done?

Using this method, cant there still be some stuff blocking the "jet shooters" that OP cleaned?

Should I do both methods that you guys are talking about?
      04-09-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Extreme measures are not required. Fill the tank with vinegar, which will clean the system. You don't need to drain it, as vinegar makes a very good washer fluid. You could use it all the time except it would freeze in winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Extreme measures are not required. Fill the tank with vinegar, which will clean the system. You don't need to drain it, as vinegar makes a very good washer fluid. You could use it all the time except it would freeze in winter.
I just feel like when I had a loaner- that one shot out super strong and even made some "foam or bubbles" on the windshield, mine is just straight up like two streams... And I'm using OEM washer fluid.

So I feel like the newer ones either have a stronger motor? Or their holes arent clogged like mine?

I don't know... It really doesn't bother me much but I do like how it looks when using a loaner and it shoots so strong that foam forms.
      04-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
So just to be clear:
  1. You opened the reservoir cap, added some drain cleaning liquid
  2. Wait about 30 minutes to let it mix with the "gunk"
  3. Then remove the top "filter" from the reservoir so that a tube can fit inside and then pumped out as much fluid as possible
  4. Then put in some distilled water or just filtered water to dilute any remaining drain liquid stuff
  5. Then pumped that out again with the tube
  6. Then done?

Using this method, cant there still be some stuff blocking the "jet shooters" that OP cleaned?

Should I do both methods that you guys are talking about?
1. Yes, I didn't need to put a full bottle of drain cleaner in. Probably about quarter bottle.
2. The drain cleaner will dissolve the gunge.
3. No, separate the join pipe from the reservoir to the washer jet pipe attached to under side of the bonnet. It has a white connector with a black plastic clip, just push the black clip to unclip. Put the end with the white connector into a empty bottle. Then turn on the pump using the washer lever to pump out the dirty water into the bottle.
4. I just used normal tap water, filled up the reservoir and pumped out the water until the water becomes clear to rinse. I did this twice.
5. Re-connect the join pipe to the washer jet pipe, pump out the air in the pipes and it should work.

I didn't experience any blocked 'jet shooters'. I know on the old cars you can use a pin to unblock the jet shooter holes. But they are different on the new cars and have a single jet shooter hole.

Try not to use the washer or spill any of the water with the drain cleaner as some of the cleaners contain acid. Or wash off any spillage.

You can try the other method first. By disconnecting the washer pipe and opening the washer cap and blowing down the white connector. But as I said this didn't work for me.

Last edited by kingmonkey8; 04-09-2018 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #7
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
1. Yes, I didn't need to put a full bottle of drain cleaner in. Probably about quarter bottle.
2. The drain cleaner will dissolve the gunge.
3. No, separate the join pipe from the reservoir to the washer jet pipe attached to under side of the bonnet. It has a white connector with a black plastic clip, just push the black clip to unclip. Put the end with the white connector into a empty bottle. Then turn on the pump using the washer lever to pump out the dirty water into the bottle.
4. I just used normal tap water, filled up the reservoir and pumped out the water until the water becomes clear to rinse. I did this twice.
5. Re-connect the join pipe to the washer jet pipe, pump out the air in the pipes and it should work.

I didn't experience any blocked 'jet shooters'. I know on the old cars you can use a pin to unblock the jet shooter holes. But they are different on the new cars and have a single jet shooter hole.

Try not to use the washer or spill any of the water with the drain cleaner as some of the cleaners contain acid. Or wash off any spillage.

You can try the other method first. By disconnecting the washer pipe and opening the washer cap and blowing down the white connector. But as I said this didn't work for me.
I'll try your method.

Thanks for the step by step, I saved it to a word doc.

It's hard to explain, but dooes your windshield get kind of sudsy when you use your washer? In other words, does the liquid just stay liquid-y or get foamy?
      04-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
I'll try your method.

Thanks for the step by step, I saved it to a word doc.

It's hard to explain, but dooes your windshield get kind of sudsy when you use your washer? In other words, does the liquid just stay liquid-y or get foamy?
Stays more liquid-y rather than foamy but depends what window wash you are using.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep

Quote:
Stays more liquid-y rather than foamy but depends what window wash you are using.
Yeah, using Oem and it doesnt look like the loaner cars jet stream. I'll ask next time I go in.