F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 DV+ or BOV for flutter noise
Studio RSR

05-04-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
carsforlife
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

N55 DV+ or BOV for flutter noise

Hello guys got a question that google didn't have the answers to, I want to upgrade my DV and I want to have the famous Tutsutsuuu turbo flutter sound. I heard that you lose power if you install a BOV and that a DV+ would be better since it's a mix of both a BOV and a DV if this is the case please give me suggestions of good quality DV+ that would satisfy what I need , and if it isn't correct my informations with also some suggestions to reach the desired sound.

P.S: I currently have a stage 2 tune with catless downpipes and Borla ATAK exhaust and got an aluminium charge pipe on the way and that's all the current modes.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 03:53 PM   #2
Bl00DY F30
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i M-Sport RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsforlife View Post
Hello guys got a question that google didn't have the answers to, I want to upgrade my DV and I want to have the famous Tutsutsuuu turbo flutter sound. I heard that you lose power if you install a BOV and that a DV+ would be better since it's a mix of both a BOV and a DV if this is the case please give me suggestions of good quality DV+ that would satisfy what I need , and if it isn't correct my informations with also some suggestions to reach the desired sound.

P.S: I currently have a stage 2 tune with catless downpipes and Borla ATAK exhaust and got an aluminium charge pipe on the way and that's all the current modes.
Here's one of the better BOV other then the go fast bits

https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...-dual-port-vr9
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

What you are referring to is generally caused by compressor surge and is most prevalent when you run no BOV/DV at all. You can achieve similar sounds with a VTA BOV but generally speaking the sounds is produced by air going backwards through the compressor, which is BAD for the turbo, especially without an anti-surge housing.

The turbosmart is a good option if you want a VTA DV but AFAIK you will not get that sound. Just a louder "whoosh"

Last edited by thejeremyman9; 05-04-2021 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

BMS intake with stock DV produces a pretty audible turbo swoosh.

To the Jeremyman9's point, when I installed the TurboSmart Plumback DV, the swoosh was nearly silenced even with the BMS intake.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #5
carsforlife
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
What you are referring to is generally caused by compressor surge and is most prevalent when you run no BOV/DV at all. You can achieve similar sounds with a VTA BOV but generally speaking the sounds is produced by air going backwards through the compressor, which is BAD for the turbo, especially without an anti-surge housing.

The turbosmart is a good option if you want a VTA DV but AFAIK you will not get that sound. Just a louder "whoosh"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post

To the Jeremyman9's point, when I installed the TurboSmart Plumback DV, the swoosh was nearly silenced even with the BMS intake.
So the only way to get the tsutsutsu sound is by what Jeremyman9 said? And there isn't a specific DV+ or BOV that could produce that specific and all have only the "whoosh" sound.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsforlife View Post
So the only way to get the tsutsutsu sound is by what Jeremyman9 said? And there isn't a specific DV+ or BOV that could produce that specific and all have only the "whoosh" sound.
Our car is frankly not setup to produce that sound. This isnt a big turbo tuner car from the 90s. The N55 setup is to vent the pressure post-turbo back pre-turbo without venting anything to the atmosphere. Getting an aftermarket intake makes this recirculation sound "whoosh" louder. Alternatively you can get a VTA DV that dumps the air to the atmosphere instead of recirculating it, but its still just dumping air.

The sound you are talking about happens with no BOV or DV because the high pressure air post-turbo surges back through the turbo when the throttle shuts and it has nowhere else to go. Bad for performance and the turbo; hence why the N55 does not do it.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post

The Turbosmart Plumb Back model is designed to be the quiet model. The only perceptible sound is if the car is in Sport mode and you momentarily let off the throttle. The driver will faintly hear the second syllable of a whippoorwill bird call coming out of the intake on the left side of the hood. Google the whippoorwill bird call. It sounds exactly like the second syllable.

The Turbosmart Dual Port model is the one with the whoosh sound. The dual port is partially vented to the atmosphere so that sound is coming from where the N55 Diverter Valve is mounted, next to the turbo on the right side of the hood.

Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
carsforlife
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Our car is frankly not setup to produce that sound. This isnt a big turbo tuner car from the 90s. The N55 setup is to vent the pressure post-turbo back pre-turbo without venting anything to the atmosphere. Getting an aftermarket intake makes this recirculation sound "whoosh" louder. Alternatively you can get a VTA DV that dumps the air to the atmosphere instead of recirculating it, but its still just dumping air.

The sound you are talking about happens with no BOV or DV because the high pressure air post-turbo surges back through the turbo when the throttle shuts and it has nowhere else to go. Bad for performance and the turbo; hence why the N55 does not do it.
Ehhh I see thank you a lot
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #9
carsforlife
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
The Turbosmart Plumb Back model is designed to be the quiet model. The only perceptible sound is if the car is in Sport mode and you momentarily let off the throttle. The driver will faintly hear the second syllable of a whippoorwill bird call coming out of the intake on the left side of the hood. Google the whippoorwill bird call. It sounds exactly like the second syllable.

The Turbosmart Dual Port model is the one with the whoosh sound. The dual port is partially vented to the atmosphere so that sound is coming from where the N55 Diverter Valve is mounted, next to the turbo on the right side of the hood.

Thank you for the link I'll check it out
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50