F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Keep Style 401 19" with Pirelli P Zero Tires?
Extreme Powerhouse

06-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
rohitstudios
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Keep Style 401 19" with Pirelli P Zero Tires?

Hello all,
I recently got a lease for 36mo/10k 335i xDrive. My car came the Style 401 Wheels and Pirelli P Zero Tires. I am located in NJ and I am concerned how these tires will handle in the terrible snow here and I have heard the life of these tires suck. I have not even had the car for a week, and as a rookie, I did not notice the tires beforehand. Also, I purchased a $1,600 Tire/Windshield/Dent Protection Plan for my car, and I am not sure how if it is worth keeping. Brought my lease price from $488 to $537 (not sure if protection was worth it but got it because I didn't want to miss out on offer and I was told I could cancel later if I wanted to). Any advice on what I should do and how should I handle this tire situation because I am not sure what to do?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
rohitstudios
United_States
Rep

Any opinions? Bump
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitstudios View Post
Hello all,
I recently got a lease for 36mo/10k 335i xDrive. My car came the Style 401 Wheels and Pirelli P Zero Tires. I am located in NJ and I am concerned how these tires will handle in the terrible snow here and I have heard the life of these tires suck. I have not even had the car for a week, and as a rookie, I did not notice the tires beforehand. Also, I purchased a $1,600 Tire/Windshield/Dent Protection Plan for my car, and I am not sure how if it is worth keeping. Brought my lease price from $488 to $537 (not sure if protection was worth it but got it because I didn't want to miss out on offer and I was told I could cancel later if I wanted to). Any advice on what I should do and how should I handle this tire situation because I am not sure what to do?
The P Zero is a summer performance tire that really should not be driven in cold weather. As the temperature drops, so does their traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=273

One solution is to buy a set of winter tires so that you'll have good performance all year. Another is to switch to all season tires that offer a compromise in hot and cold weather that some (many) people are willing to make.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
bmw-again
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 440xi GC-15 X1 xline

Dont even try to drive them in the winter. Just purchase a winter setup and run them. I just bought a used set for x3 this week one season 600. Deals are out there right now because its summer. Im also gonna buy a set for my GT for my wife. I run conti extreme contacts in summer and come first of november they come off.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #5
zyncopado
Musician/Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitstudios
Also, I purchased a $1,600 Tire/Windshield/Dent Protection Plan for my car, and I am not sure how if it is worth keeping. Brought my lease price from $488 to $537 (not sure if protection was worth it but got it because I didn't want to miss out on offer and I was told I could cancel later if I wanted to). Any advice on what I should do and how should I handle this tire situation because I am not sure what to do?
I was made to believe that the sky was gonna fall on my 335i. They offered me the same plan. I refused it.

IMHO, you're better off saving that amount of money to be used later on in an unavoidable event. It takes discipline, though.

I know it's scary... but you'll be fine! #AsLongAsYouHaveTheMoney
      07-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
rohitstudios
United_States
Rep

I feel like I was I lied to though because my salesperson did not make me aware that these were summer tires on the car that were not meant to be driven in Winter. Then, they sell me on a plan where they say that tons of potholes happen in the winter and the tires will go bad... etc. Yet, I didn't know I had to make an extra expense for different tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #7
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitstudios View Post
I feel like I was I lied to though because my salesperson did not make me aware that these were summer tires on the car that were not meant to be driven in Winter. Then, they sell me on a plan where they say that tons of potholes happen in the winter and the tires will go bad... etc. Yet, I didn't know I had to make an extra expense for different tires.
If your salesperson said "These tires will be fine in the winter", I would agree that you were lied to...but that's probably not what happened. I'd bet that 99% of all car buyers don't know the limitations of summer tires in a cold climate, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself.

If your part of NJ is anything like mine, the roads are a minefield well into the spring. But I've driven in the northeast for 50 years with no tire/wheel trouble more serious than a slow leak. So the tire protection isn't for me. If you don't see value in the coverage in your situation, call your dealer and cancel. But be sure to understand the cost of wheels and tires if they do need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 07:08 PM   #8
rohitstudios
United_States
Rep

My salesperson said this: "If you customized your car, I would've told you what kind of tires your car was coming with and not recommended these ones, but since you chose the car yourself off the lot, you should have known". He advised that it says on the sticker that it has summer tires. All it says is "perf. tires". There are tires that are all-season perf. tires and summer perf. tires.... this is not specified in the sticker. Dealership is not willing to do anything for me even though I asked a week after having the car. Very disappointed and I have tried to escalate this issue to BMW NA, but they say dealership management can only do something. They have no control.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #9
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitstudios
My salesperson said this: "If you customized your car, I would've told you what kind of tires your car was coming with and not recommended these ones, but since you chose the car yourself off the lot, you should have known". He advised that it says on the sticker that it has summer tires. All it says is "perf. tires". There are tires that are all-season perf. tires and summer perf. tires.... this is not specified in the sticker. Dealership is not willing to do anything for me even though I asked a week after having the car. Very disappointed and I have tried to escalate this issue to BMW NA, but they say dealership management can only do something. They have no control.
Are you sure you have summer rubber? Thought XDrive came with No Season tires?

Anyway, this is your responsibility, not the sales guy. They shouldn't really be trusted for much of anything.

Tires are the most important part on a car. No excuse to not know about tires, especially living in the North. Many of us ditch our RFTs anyway, even with a lease.

Just buy a set of No Season tires that are Go Flats. Hankook makes a few that should be less than $900 for the set. They should also last the three years.

At turn in, just get a tire shop to put your RFTs back on.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #10
snj49er
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Are you sure you have summer rubber? Thought XDrive came with No Season tires?
XDrive is available with summer tires on staggered wheels.
Appreciate 0