F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Turning DSC Off completely
GetBMWParts

12-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
PierreTT
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 iX

Turning DSC Off completely

Sorry if this was already asked/discussed, I tried to Search and there is just too much informations... :-)

I'm looking to turn off DSC and DTC completely while staying in Sport + mode.

Is it feasible?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

hold the button for 10 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

"I think" there is no way to turn off DSC and DTC and keep it in Sport+ or Sport mode even. If you figure out a code to disable these safeguards, I'm sure many here would like to know.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5`º View Post
"I think" there is no way to turn off DSC and DTC and keep it in Sport+ or Sport mode even. If you figure out a code to disable these safeguards, I'm sure many here would like to know.
Have you tried holding the DSC button for about 5 seconds continuously, and it didn't work?

I haven't turned the DSC off completely in a while, but IIRC while in sport or sport+, just hold down the separate DSC button until you see the DSC off icon light up on the dash.

As you likely know, sport+ will turn DTC on leaving DSC active.
It's still a more fun yet still safe mode for spirited driving, and still allows a very hearty launch off the line.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Have you tried holding the DSC button for about 5 seconds continuously, and it didn't work?

I haven't turned the DSC off completely in a while, but IIRC while in sport or sport+, just hold down the separate DSC button until you see the DSC off icon light up on the dash.

As you likely know, sport+ will turn DTC on leaving DSC active.
It's still a more fun yet still safe mode for spirited driving, and still allows a very hearty launch off the line.
Holding down the DSC button for 5 seconds will put it back into Comfort mode... thus watering down the throttle response. OP wants everything disabled AND have it in Sport or Sport + Mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5`º View Post
Holding down the DSC button for 5 seconds will put it back into Comfort mode... thus watering down the throttle response. OP wants everything disabled AND have it in Sport or Sport + Mode.
Oh wow no wonder why dsc off felt weaker than when in sport or spot+
      12-10-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz
Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5` View Post
Its just throttle response. Do you want your throttle control to be an on/off switch with everything off? I want to see that.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz
Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5` View Post
Its just throttle response. Do you want your throttle control to be an on/off switch with everything off?
I want to see that.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Its just throttle response. Do you want your throttle control to be an on/off switch with everything off? I want to see that.
Has this been confirmed? With the combination of the sharpened throttle response and added exhaust overrun burble sounds when switching to Sport/Sport+ from Comfort, it seems like more is changing than just a more linear throttle sensitivity.

Regardless, it's a little annoying to not even have the OPTION to disable both DSC and DTC and retain the same Sport/Sport+ engine settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #10
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
It's safety rules probably that keeps us from having this.
Btw sport+ is basically sport mode with dtc off (if I'm not mistaken) for now that's as close as it gets.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

don't you guys have a seperate DSC/DTC button?
In all BMWs I have driven it was turned off by pressing the button for 5 seconds
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
don't you guys have a seperate DSC/DTC button?
In all BMWs I have driven it was turned off by pressing the button for 5 seconds
Right. But if you turn DSC completely off it takes you out of Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
Full engine power with no computer aid procedure:

1: Go into sport mode
2: Put Gear box in DS mode (if auto) (shift gear to left)
3: Hold DSC for 5 or 10 sec till it says DSC off on dash with a warning light (when i press this my F30 the car goes into a different DSC off sport mode)

Thats it, shifts are fast, throttle is quick, steering is tightened and car burns out/drifts everywhere. (computer does not interfere at all)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:22 AM   #14
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayman519
Full engine power with no computer aid procedure:

1: Go into sport mode
2: Put Gear box in DS mode (if auto) (shift gear to left)
3: Hold DSC for 5 or 10 sec till it says DSC off on dash with a warning light (when i press this my F30 the car goes into a different DSC off sport mode)

Thats it, shifts are fast, throttle is quick, steering is tightened and car burns out/drifts everywhere. (computer does not interfere at all)
I think what the op was saying when he meant by sport mode turning off is only the pedal feel. I get the same. Steering is still tight, shifta are fast but pedal feel goes back to normal - or comfort- its a bit misleading because of the naming convention.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817
Quote:
Has this been confirmed? With the combination of the sharpened throttle response and added exhaust overrun burble sounds when switching to Sport/Sport+ from Comfort, it seems like more is changing than just a more linear throttle sensitivity.

Regardless, it's a little annoying to not even have the OPTION to disable both DSC and DTC and retain the same Sport/Sport+ engine settings.
Its just a twitchier gas pedal and stiffer steering feel unless you have the other packages. You just have to press the throttle down some more but you are not getting any added power.

Sport mode you barely press the gas and its as if you are already stomping on the gas. Thats the only difference. Ecopro is the exact opposite but try flooring it in ecopro youll have the same power delivery.

Maybe the exhaust flap is open?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #16
PierreTT
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 iX

Thanks for the answers.
No ways around I guess... Hopefully some tuners may find a solution soon.

There is snow here now... It is Drifting Time on snowy days. :-)

Not having the option of having the car in Sport (More sensitive throttle but also quicker steering and harder suspension in my situation) and DSC/DTC off is pretty lame.

Pierre
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its just a twitchier gas pedal and stiffer steering feel unless you have the other packages. You just have to press the throttle down some more but you are not getting any added power.

Sport mode you barely press the gas and its as if you are already stomping on the gas. Thats the only difference. Ecopro is the exact opposite but try flooring it in ecopro youll have the same power delivery.

Maybe the exhaust flap is open?
The exhaust tone is noticeably different and there is significant overrun burble in Sport/Sport+ mode that isn't there at all in Comfort and Eco. My exhaust valve is wired open at all times, it's clearly not from the valve being opened or closed...overrun burbles/pops are from additional unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust system...clearly more is changing than just linearity of throttle response to induce the overrun burble and I would be surprised if the addition of the burble sound is just a superficial change to make Sport/Sport+ "appear sportier." Here is a perfect example of the change in this video...in the beginning they rev in Comfort mode and there is no burble/pop, but at the 50 second mark they change to Sport+ and it's a completely different sound...

Whether or not the difference between comfort and sport is just throttle response/linearity and the exhaust burble is only cosmetic to make it feel sportier...it's no less annoying to not have the option to have sport drivetrain settings with DSC and DTC completely off. I have tried every method, and every time it will revert back to "normal" or "comfort" drivetrain settings...blunted throttle response and the burbling exhaust sounds disappear.

Last edited by AWF30MSPORT; 12-11-2012 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

The car is closer. It doesnt add power this is not an m5 where you put it in m mode and it is 500hp.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post
It's safety rules probably that keeps us from having this.
Btw sport+ is basically sport mode with dtc off (if I'm not mistaken) for now that's as close as it gets.
DTC stands for Dynamic Traction Control and is a mode (not an AID like DSC)that allows for some EXTRA wheelspin before DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) comes in putting an end to the fun. So therefore, DTC is always OFF until you either press the traction-button OR put in Sport+. DSC is always ON until you hold the button for a few seconds.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The car is closer. It doesnt add power this is not an m5 where you put it in m mode and it is 500hp.
Closer? It's clearly a different sound...there is no question that there is no burble in comfort and there is significant burble in Sport. Why do you think Challenge even did the comparison in the video in the first place?? It was to compare the sound between comfort and sport/sport+ ...to illustrate how the sport/sport+ burble sounds with that exhaust. Maybe it's not as pronounced in the N20, but it's a very noticeable difference in sound on the N55 when switching from comfort to sport/sport+.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #21
ilhan1103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30 318 2012

Garage List
2012 318D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
DTC stands for Dynamic Traction Control and is a mode (not an AID like DSC)that allows for some EXTRA wheelspin before DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) comes in putting an end to the fun. So therefore, DTC is always OFF until you either press the traction-button OR put in Sport+. DSC is always ON until you hold the button for a few seconds.

thats what i meant, i know. I always mix them up and in addition i keep saying on for the one and off for the other where its vice versa. but you explained it well, props for that
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

I *think* this is how it works, based off the not-too-clear owner's manual:

Default mode upon startup: DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) mode
Traction control is enabled (ie, limiting drive-wheel spin via throttle control and/or brake application)
Stability control is enabled (ie, controlling under- and over-steer by applying brakes to individual wheels)

Hitting the DSC button once: turns on DTC (Dynamic Traction Control) mode
This mode appears to disable the "helps to keep the vehicle on a steady course" aspect of DSC - the under/oversteer control bit. Traction control is still enabled, and sounds like the car won't engage individual brakes to correct yaw movement. Somehow this is supposed to help with getting/staying moving on unplowed snowy roads, gravel roads, and the like. Probably because in such low-traction conditions, there's so much slippage that DSC would be constantly engaging, to the detriment of actually getting anywhere.

Holding the DSC button for 5-10 seconds: turns on DSC OFF mode
"Stability is reduced." But the manual also says "the DSC system is switched off." So I'm not clear to what degree the nannies are deactivated, but the implication is that both traction and stability controls are effected.

Then there are the driving modes:
ECOPRO, COMFORT and SPORT are known.
SPORT+ isn't clearly described in the manual. "Limited driving stabilization. The driver handles several of the stabilization tasks." But the owner's manual seems to be saying that SPORT+ is the same as SPORT plus DTC. In other words, the stabilization program is disabled, but traction control is still active. So no power slides, but you can spin out by taking a corner too fast, or understeer off the road by entering a corner too fast. Not that you could easily do a power slide anyway, what with the open diff.

Last edited by elistan; 12-11-2012 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Updating SPORT+ entry
Appreciate 0