F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport vs M Package
GetBMWParts

05-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #45
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB BMW View Post
Is the steering wheel really worth the upgrade? I don't love the rims but they may grow on me.
I've felt both wheels and currently have the M Sport wheel, and IMO it is worth it esp. when you factor in better brakes, cooling and overall appearance.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #46
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
You *do* get: upgraded, 4-piston fixed calipers in front (4-piston floating standard)
4 pistons fixed on all 335, but smaller rotor.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #47
JB BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi

Order is in! 428xi mineral gray, coral red interior, M sport package, premium, cold weather , driver assistance, Nav, and added in black front grille! Appreciate everyone's help! Now only 2 months of waiting! This is going to be torture!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #48
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickinaz View Post
I know that the MSport brakes option has dustier pads, but I don't thing that is true for the MSport package itself.
Sure is. Regular MSport brakes (335i for sure) are Euro dusty pads. Check out p/n's on Realoem.
      05-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #49
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
Just buy both!

Great combo. I love the wagon. Wish I could have talked wife into the wagon instead of the horrid Sienna minivan in my garage.
      05-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #50
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Order is in! 428xi mineral gray, coral red interior, M sport package, premium, cold weather , driver assistance, Nav, and added in black front grille! Appreciate everyone's help! Now only 2 months of waiting! This is going to be torture!
Congratulations! Now is the time to really get into a hobby to take your mind off the wait. How about stamp collecting?
      05-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #51
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
All that consternation and you get xDrive? So this is all about looks and not performance?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #52
JB BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
All that consternation and you get xDrive? So this is all about looks and not performance?
Well excuse me!!! I said at Beginning it was Xi and in New York you need awd. Thanks for the congrats!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #53
jonkarn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 M-Sport Stage 1 GS

I recently took delivery of my F31, and changed from Sportline to M-sport the day after I placed my order. I am soooo glad I did. M-Sport really sets the car apart, as I don't see so many around the NYC area. 3 series are a dime a dozen out here in central NJ(more than Hondas!), but most of them are lower lines. I think I have one of the few F31 M-Sports. It definitiey looks meaner, and just has a higher end feel all around. IMHO of course.

Originally I liked the Sportline rims and wanted Imperial Blue. Now that I have the car (Glacial Silver), I think I actually like the M-Sport rims better! Again they just look more expensive and high quality, and something about the larger spaces between the spokes just looks sportier. And about the M-Sport brake pads, I don't notice that much brake dust. And I've only washed the car once in the 3 weeks having it.

As everyone has mentioned, the steering wheel is great. Such an amazing feel. Never realized what a difference it can have on your driving experience

I would've voted for the black interior personally, bc there are a lot of different colors on the interior bw the trim and headliner and dash, etc, if you don't go black. The red isn't the most relaxing feel on the inside of a car although it looks hot. Too bad saddle is only on a luxury line.

Mineral gray was on my short list of colors after glacial silver. But whenever I see EBII F31 pictures I'm jealous. Man I think that really looks sick. Nothing like that on the road.

I regret not going staggered summer, as this is a free upgrade. I advise anyone getting the MSport to go summers for multiple reasons, and just get a winter setup, or even just winter rubber to fit the staggered rims

Anyway, good decision in the end!!!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #54
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post
I recently took delivery of my F31, and changed from Sportline to M-sport the day after I placed my order. I am soooo glad I did. M-Sport really sets the car apart, as I don't see so many around the NYC area. 3 series are a dime a dozen out here in central NJ(more than Hondas!), but most of them are lower lines. I think I have one of the few F31 M-Sports. It definitiey looks meaner, and just has a higher end feel all around. IMHO of course.

Originally I liked the Sportline rims and wanted Imperial Blue. Now that I have the car (Glacial Silver), I think I actually like the M-Sport rims better! Again they just look more expensive and high quality, and something about the larger spaces between the spokes just looks sportier. And about the M-Sport brake pads, I don't notice that much brake dust. And I've only washed the car once in the 3 weeks having it.

As everyone has mentioned, the steering wheel is great. Such an amazing feel. Never realized what a difference it can have on your driving experience

I would've voted for the black interior personally, bc there are a lot of different colors on the interior bw the trim and headliner and dash, etc, if you don't go black. The red isn't the most relaxing feel on the inside of a car although it looks hot. Too bad saddle is only on a luxury line.

Mineral gray was on my short list of colors after glacial silver. But whenever I see EBII F31 pictures I'm jealous. Man I think that really looks sick. Nothing like that on the road.

I regret not going staggered summer, as this is a free upgrade. I advise anyone getting the MSport to go summers for multiple reasons, and just get a winter setup, or even just winter rubber to fit the staggered rims

Anyway, good decision in the end!!!
Congrats, Jon! There are certain advantages to going with a foursquare set-up instead of staggered. Staggered set-ups can cause more of a tendency to understeer if you get up enough speed on an interstate ramp or a back road. If you have X-Drive I believe that tendency is increased even more (not sure about that). Also, if you have directional tires and two different sizes front and rear, tire rotation becomes more of a hassle. You have to take the tire off the wheel and reverse its direction for it to go on the other side of the car. When it's foursquare you can just swap the fronts and rears keeping them on the same side.
      05-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #55
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Well excuse me!!! I said at Beginning it was Xi and in New York you need awd. Thanks for the congrats!
Sorry that I missed that and definitely congrats on the new ride. It's just that I tend to buy my options to make my car as sporty as possible. An xDrive model can handle well but you need to order the DHP option. So you have a sporty looking car that is basically the worst handling iteration of the 3 series. I don't know if that matters to you but for me that would not be my choice. And as far as needing AWD in NY, not true. Get RWD and add winter tires. AWD with winter tires is best but not that much better and RWD with winter tires is better than AWD with all season tires. I'm in the Detroit area and have RWD Sportline with all seasons. Pretty good but it's flat here.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #56
JB BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Sorry that I missed that and definitely congrats on the new ride. It's just that I tend to buy my options to make my car as sporty as possible. An xDrive model can handle well but you need to order the DHP option. So you have a sporty looking car that is basically the worst handling iteration of the 3 series. I don't know if that matters to you but for me that would not be my choice. And as far as needing AWD in NY, not true. Get RWD and add winter tires. AWD with winter tires is best but not that much better and RWD with winter tires is better than AWD with all season tires. I'm in the Detroit area and have RWD Sportline with all seasons. Pretty good but it's flat here.
I drove a basic 4. Handling is pretty good. Maybe not as great as yours and I've done the whole swap tire thing before in the past and it's a pain. Didn't want to do it again. Geezes can I just be happy I ordered my car?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #57
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
I drove a basic 4. Handling is pretty good. Maybe not as great as yours and I've done the whole swap tire thing before in the past and it's a pain. Didn't want to do it again. Geezes can I just be happy I ordered my car?
Don't worry about it, congrats, I'm sure you'll love your car. This is an enthusiast forum and some have very opinionated ideas about this that and everything under the sun.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #58
JB BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Don't worry about it, congrats, I'm sure you'll love your car. This is an enthusiast forum and some have very opinionated ideas about this that and everything under the sun.
Thanks..haha I love BMWs and this will be my second one. Have had an Audi and an Infiniti and test drove a lexus and mercedes and nothing drives or handles like a BMW, with or without the DHP.

Last edited by JB BMW; 05-03-2014 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #59
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks..haha I love BMWs and this will be my second one. Have had an Audi and an Infiniti and test drove a lexus and mercedes and nothing drives or handles like a BMW, with or without the DHP. If I did add DHP, does anyone know if it is residulalized? I assume not but wishful thinking.
Lease? All factory options (and/or options that appear on the factory sticker) are residualized.
      05-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #60
JB BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Lease? All factory options (and/or options that appear on the factory sticker) are residualized.
Duh. That makes sense. Wasn't thinking. Thanks. Maybe I should add it in to my order.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 10:46 PM   #61
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Duh. That makes sense. Wasn't thinking. Thanks. Maybe I should add it in to my order.
Oh boy, this could get dangerous.....

While you are at it, add HK stereo and MSport brakes. You'll only pay for about 50% on a 3 year lease.
      05-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #62
JB BMW
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Oh boy, this could get dangerous.....

While you are at it, add HK stereo and MSport brakes. You'll only pay for about 50% on a 3 year lease.
haha...dont tempt me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #63
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

The only aspect of the M-Sport that I wanted was the front bumper. Literally everything else I wanted was Sport line. I love the red stitching, and I do prefer the looks of the sport steering wheel over the m-sport. I decided on a price point that I was not going to go over for the car build and besides for the odds and ends options, I went for the bigger motor and the Sport line. Much of my rationalization was the fact that I can just change out the front bumper when I'm ready. Also don't get me wrong, I love the looks of the Sport line, but that m-sport front is beyond. I don't even want the sides or rear valance of the m-sport; just the front, so the Sport line 335 was the best choice for me.

I look at it this way. I'm keeping this car for a while so down the line a bit, I can do this work and it will keep my internal mod bug happy. When I mod my car the fun factor is as if I bought a new car, actually better.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #64
JJS
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkarn View Post
But whenever I see EBII F31 pictures I'm jealous. Man I think that really looks sick. Nothing like that on the road.
Like this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
The only aspect of the M-Sport that I wanted was the front bumper. Literally everything else I wanted was Sport line. I love the red stitching, and I do prefer the looks of the sport steering wheel over the m-sport.
I felt the same about the Sport Line steering wheel, until I felt the M-Sport. The two things I wanted most from the M-Sport package was the 403M wheels and M-Sport brakes.
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 06:04 AM   #65
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS View Post
The two things I wanted most from the M-Sport package was the 403M wheels and M-Sport brakes.
Same thing here !

One done (403M), one to go.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #66
riimiX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Coupe

glad you chose the MG, m sport, coral red combo

I ordered the sport line based off the digital pics bc at the time there weren't too many m sport RL photos, it was also cheaper. I regret not getting the M sport purely on the body aesthetics! great choice
Appreciate 0