F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anyone getting the ActiveHybrid 3?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #155
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny C View Post
After 1200 miles Im getting 36 37 highway and high 30's city. Depending on traffic and how much Im willing to feather the gas and control the acceleration. One problem I am having is that sometime I can't change the mode fro sport, comfort, and eco pro. I called BMWNA and there is a recall on the car. Im bringing it in on Monday.
The car is a slug in eco pro. It does feel a little heavy while trying to maneuver. It is a very comfortable car. I love the hybrid screen. Its a game to try and keep ther car on derive and not use the gas engine.
Do you have the dynamic handling package? Cars built starting Nov had dozens of changes including computer module part number changes. Maybe they can fix yours with some of these new parts.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=65
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 05:59 AM   #156
Kenny C
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335 e90 1998 e39 540

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 m50  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
2018 mx3 40  [0.00]
2016 340  [0.00]
2013 BMW ACYIVE HYB ...  [0.00]
2010 BMW X535D  [0.00]
No I don't. Build date was 7/12
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #157
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Hybrid 3

Is the recall simply a reprogramming of the ECO Pro Settings? I received a campaign # from BMW but not much detail.

Quote:
After 1200 miles Im getting 36 37 highway and high 30's city. Depending on traffic and how much Im willing to feather the gas and control the acceleration. One problem I am having is that sometime I can't change the mode fro sport, comfort, and eco pro. I called BMWNA and there is a recall on the car. Im bringing it in on Monday.
The car is a slug in eco pro. It does feel a little heavy while trying to maneuver. It is a very comfortable car. I love the hybrid screen. Its a game to try and keep ther car on derive and not use the gas engine.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #158
Kenny C
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 m50  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
2018 mx3 40  [0.00]
2016 340  [0.00]
2010 BMW X535D  [0.00]
Not sure. I was unable to change modes from eco or to sport. I was stuck in comfort mode. Ill let you know when i get some info
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #159
Kenny C
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 m50  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
2018 mx3 40  [0.00]
2016 340  [0.00]
2010 BMW X535D  [0.00]
it took 2 days to reprogram. A software upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #160
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
it took 2 days to reprogram. A software upgrade.
Bummer. Besides that, how ya liking it?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #161
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep

So Spoiled... No Turning Back! A Few Impressions

When I purchased my F30 AH3, I did not test drive the 328i or the 335i. The AH3 was my first and only test drive and it has almost every available option.

When I took my car in for the service campaign and was given a 328i with only a comfort package, it was like night and day. Yes, BMW did a good job with the 4 cylinder engine but I am now spoiled and can't go back. The AH3 has such a tremendous reserve of power and it's all about the way it is delivered. The inline six is a very sublime engine. The passing power is effortless all the time.

A.S.S.
Before I bought the AH3, I thought what the big deal? Why are people wanting it disabled? Now I know why. The A.S.S. is very noticeable and is not refined. The AH3 is elegant in operation and I love the smooth transition from electric mode to engine start. I would never want to disable engine stop at lights on the AH3.

Gas Mileage
Not enough of a difference to bother with the 2.0

The Weight Difference?
Maybe it was the Bridgestone tires or something else but the suspension dampening in the 328i was okay but the car felt less substantial as it piloted down the road.

The AH3 with the inline six up front and the battery in the trunk contributes to a ride quality that feels more substantial and planted. I have the Luxury line with the standard suspension and was seeking the ride comfort of a 5 series in smaller size.

I only wish BMW would offer a 18-22 way comfort seat option for the 3 series with power adjustable everything.

I guess it is true what they say. Don't test drive the most powerful engine 1st or everything else will fall short.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #162
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEV View Post
The AH3 with the inline six up front and the battery in the trunk contributes to a ride quality that feels more substantial and planted.
It should; it is a great deal heavier.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #163
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I purchased my F30 AH3, I did not test drive the 328i or the 335i. The AH3 was my first and only test drive and it has almost every available option.

When I took my car in for the service campaign and was given a 328i with only a comfort package, it was like night and day. Yes, BMW did a good job with the 4 cylinder engine but I am now spoiled and can't go back. The AH3 has such a tremendous reserve of power and it's all about the way it is delivered. The inline six is a very sublime engine. The passing power is effortless all the time.

A.S.S.
Before I bought the AH3, I thought what the big deal? Why are people wanting it disabled? Now I know why. The A.S.S. is very noticeable and is not refined. The AH3 is elegant in operation and I love the smooth transition from electric mode to engine start. I would never want to disable engine stop at lights on the AH3.

Gas Mileage
Not enough of a difference to bother with the 2.0

The Weight Difference?
Maybe it was the Bridgestone tires or something else but the suspension dampening in the 328i was okay but the car felt less substantial as it piloted down the road.

The AH3 with the inline six up front and the battery in the trunk contributes to a ride quality that feels more substantial and planted. I have the Luxury line with the standard suspension and was seeking the ride comfort of a 5 series in smaller size.

I only wish BMW would offer a 18-22 way comfort seat option for the 3 series with power adjustable everything.

I guess it is true what they say. Don't test drive the most powerful engine 1st or everything else will fall short.
Nice review. Yes, the 50/50 weight distribution of the AH3 does feel rather nice. And the A.S.S. is implemented completely different on the AH3 vs. other BMWs. There is no way to disable it, but there would never be a need to. You typically cannot tell when the motor is running vs. the battery. There is zero "shudder" or transition from ICE to battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #164
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep

150 or so more lbs compared to an 335 xdrive does not seem like a great deal to me. 150-170 lbs is a passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
It should; it is a great deal heavier.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #165
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Nice review. Yes, the 50/50 weight distribution of the AH3 does feel rather nice. And the A.S.S. is implemented completely different on the AH3 vs. other BMWs. There is no way to disable it, but there would never be a need to. You typically cannot tell when the motor is running vs. the battery. There is zero "shudder" or transition from ICE to battery.
Well you can temporarily disable A.S.S. by putting the transmission joystick into M/S. It's interesting that Sport mode doesn't imply that. Either way, it's not all that important on the ActiveHybrid as the electric motor does a pretty good job of getting you rolling while the engine comes back online.

P.S. Hello everyone, proud new (4 day) owner of a 7/2012-made ActiveHybrid 3. My first tank has been at 27mpg with the body computer claiming 27.3. Very impressed given the way I've been driving the car. Came from a 2011 A4 2.0T and it got nowhere close to this mileage.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #166
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
Well you can temporarily disable A.S.S. by putting the transmission joystick into M/S. It's interesting that Sport mode doesn't imply that. Either way, it's not all that important on the ActiveHybrid as the electric motor does a pretty good job of getting you rolling while the engine comes back online.
Very interesting! I don't recall the manual mentioning that, and neither did my CA during the test drive.

Quote:
P.S. Hello everyone, proud new (4 day) owner of a 7/2012-made ActiveHybrid 3. My first tank has been at 27mpg with the body computer claiming 27.3. Very impressed given the way I've been driving the car. Came from a 2011 A4 2.0T and it got nowhere close to this mileage.
Very nice, especially if you've been driving it with enthusiasm.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #167
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep, I'm extremely impressed. I also tried one commute with an already-warm engine and Eco Pro mode, and was able to squeeze out 36mpg over 14 miles of combined. Though it was more of a funny experience to try once -- if you want to drive your $60k BMW like that, you're better off just buying a Prius.

This car is really meant to be driven like a 335i that just happens to get 10-20% better gas mileage regardless of how you drive it.

EDIT: I'll also agree with the people earlier. Especially if you are leasing, the AH3 is not as expensive as the MSRP would make it out to be. In fact, for my lease, the AH3 costs $5 or so more per month than an equivalent 335i. If you're already looking at a 335i automatic and don't need xDrive, do give the ActiveHybrid a serious look.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #168
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I'm extremely impressed. I also tried one commute with an already-warm engine and Eco Pro mode, and was able to squeeze out 36mpg over 14 miles of combined. Though it was more of a funny experience to try once -- if you want to drive your $60k BMW like that, you're better off just buying a Prius.
LOL nice. Well considering I have a heavy traffic commute, I don't really get to drive much different than I would in a Prius, at least half the time.

Quote:
This car is really meant to be driven like a 335i that just happens to get 10-20% better gas mileage regardless of how you drive it.

EDIT: I'll also agree with the people earlier. Especially if you are leasing, the AH3 is not as expensive as the MSRP would make it out to be. In fact, for my lease, the AH3 costs $5 or so more per month than an equivalent 335i. If you're already looking at a 335i automatic and don't need xDrive, do give the ActiveHybrid a serious look.
I have told folks that.. but there seems to always be some hybrid discrimination (?). Several complaints about the extra 250lbs. But it doesn't feel like that much to me. Seems faster than a 335i to me, so I don't care that much about the weight. I did a purchase, and since 335i discounts were not rock-bottom, the AH3 was only about $1K more than a 335i spec'd out the same way.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #169
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
LOL nice. Well considering I have a heavy traffic commute, I don't really get to drive much different than I would in a Prius, at least half the time.
I live in the Bay Area and a lot of times it's like that too. I've already noticed this car makes me much less grumpy about traffic jams. In case of standstill traffic, I just put it into Eco Pro mode and smugly look at my trip computer say "28mpg" while finding a better radio station. It's a lot less unnerving when you don't have to see your fuel economy for your whole trip drop from high-20's to low-10's when hitting a jam.

Quote:
I have told folks that.. but there seems to always be some hybrid discrimination (?). Several complaints about the extra 250lbs. But it doesn't feel like that much to me. Seems faster than a 335i to me, so I don't care that much about the weight. I did a purchase, and since 335i discounts were not rock-bottom, the AH3 was only about $1K more than a 335i spec'd out the same way.
I test drove the GS450h and M35h and I can totally see why there's hybrid discrimination. There is really not another hybrid on the market that feels this smoothly integrated. The perception of speed is very noticeable on this car, especially in sport mode when it eBOOSTS all the time. Even though the N55 is a very low lag turbocharged engine, there still is like a 1 to 2 second period for the power to build up when you suddenly WOT while cruising. The motor does a great job of giving you a temporary boost to mask that. I don't think that it'll beat a 335i on a racetrack, but that doesn't matter to me. It's the perception of power.

And I'm glad to hear you got such a good deal on purchasing the AH3 as well. That's awesome! Yeah, back on my A4, I paid $1250 for a warranty-backed stage 1 ECU remap that claimed to be more "responsive" and "1mpg" better due to a leaner burn. That was more of a waste of money than the ActiveHybrid can ever be.

My #1 concern when considering a hybrid performance car is "what am I compromising?". And in the case of the AH3, you're really not giving up much over a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #170
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I live in the Bay Area and a lot of times it's like that too. I've already noticed this car makes me much less grumpy about traffic jams. In case of standstill traffic, I just put it into Eco Pro mode and smugly look at my trip computer say "28mpg" while finding a better radio station. It's a lot less unnerving when you don't have to see your fuel economy for your whole trip drop from high-20's to low-10's when hitting a jam.
Yes! That is my exact experience. Sometimes I have to wait through 2 cycles of a long traffic light. That's 5 minutes of pure idling... just wasting gas for no reason. I know all F30s have A.S.S. but with the AH3 it doesn't seem like any chance the N55 will even fire up, especially if you're just creeping along.

Quote:
I test drove the GS450h and M35h and I can totally see why there's hybrid discrimination. There is really not another hybrid on the market that feels this smoothly integrated. The perception of speed is very noticeable on this car, especially in sport mode when it eBOOSTS all the time. Even though the N55 is a very low lag turbocharged engine, there still is like a 1 to 2 second period for the power to build up when you suddenly WOT while cruising. The motor does a great job of giving you a temporary boost to mask that. I don't think that it'll beat a 335i on a racetrack, but that doesn't matter to me. It's the perception of power.
Even though I owned an M3, I didn't track it. I love spirited driving, but I'm not concerned about .2 seconds 0-60mph or slalom time... I much prefer the extra torque.

Quote:
And I'm glad to hear you got such a good deal on purchasing the AH3 as well. That's awesome! Yeah, back on my A4, I paid $1250 for a warranty-backed stage 1 ECU remap that claimed to be more "responsive" and "1mpg" better due to a leaner burn. That was more of a waste of money than the ActiveHybrid can ever be.

My #1 concern when considering a hybrid performance car is "what am I compromising?". And in the case of the AH3, you're really not giving up much over a 335i.
Not only are you not giving up much, you're getting the new Nav, guaranteed better mpg, a few free extra options (if you spec correctly) and the fun of knowing you're driving a fairly rare auto. I would never pay $6500 more for those privileges, but $1-2K extra makes pretty good sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #171
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep

There are many things on the AH3 that are not fully clarified in the manuals. Every day I learn something new. Luckily with IDrive you can 'choose" to dive as deep as you wish in configurations. My daily driver is a diesel and the AH3 and diesel are very similar in how they put down power (torque rich) but the AH3 is the 1st car I have owned where it never runs out of steam.

I've been driving the car with stability control off to see when the car would lose traction. it's not that easy - very well balanced.

Quote:
Very interesting! I don't recall the manual mentioning that, and neither did my CA during the test drive.

Very nice, especially if you've been driving it with enthusiasm.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #172
MotoEV
Private
United_States
Rep

Congrats on your new car. The 8 speed auto is the star of this car. Very smooth gear changes and very fuel efficient. When I had the 328i as a loaner, I felt the need to drive it in Sport mode to get the responsiveness you get with the AH3.

For me the AH3 reminds me of cars of the past that were effortless off the line while still being luxurious. The start with electric propulsion feels magical and the engine blends in at higher speeds to give you that never ending thrust forward. Reminds me of larger v8 engines with 4 cylinder economy. I also like when the car is coasting/sailing. When I get to the entrance of my subdivision, I can coast and drive on battery all the way to my garage door and never have an engine start.

Continue to share your experiences as you get to know your AH3.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #173
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Yes! That is my exact experience. Sometimes I have to wait through 2 cycles of a long traffic light. That's 5 minutes of pure idling... just wasting gas for no reason. I know all F30s have A.S.S. but with the AH3 it doesn't seem like any chance the N55 will even fire up, especially if you're just creeping along.
Very true. The electric A/C compressor should help to keep the car running on battery for enough minutes to deal with long traffic signals. The gas F30 car will start the engine after the car interior warms up. In the Southern States during the Summer season that likely means 10-20 seconds! We are in December in So. FL and I find the 335i can't stay off long enough for a 90 second traffic light. I suspect gas F30 owners in Southern States will need a few cooler days to appreciate pure silence at traffic lights.

Quote:
Not only are you not giving up much, you're getting the new Nav, guaranteed better mpg, a few free extra options (if you spec correctly) and the fun of knowing you're driving a fairly rare auto. I would never pay $6500 more for those privileges, but $1-2K extra makes pretty good sense.
New Nav...

"Fairly rare auto" usually means parts that need to be special ordered. Just today I asked about this issue and my dealer shop foreman told me the AH cars typically end up sitting for days or weeks because parts often have to come from Germany. BMW doesn't sell enough to keep parts sitting in US warehouses. Maybe this time around things will be different? Time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #174
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on your new car. The 8 speed auto is the star of this car. Very smooth gear changes and very fuel efficient. When I had the 328i as a loaner, I felt the need to drive it in Sport mode to get the responsiveness you get with the AH3.
Thanks! Indeed -- my 2011 A4 actually came with a similar ZF 8HP transmission and I loved it there too.

Believe it or not, the AH3's transmission is smoother than the A4's despite having to bridge a motor with an engine. The A4 sometimes harshly clunked when it engaged/disengaged the engine at low speeds. I've yet to observe the AH3 doing that.

If I am to point out faults with the AH3, I've observed very few so far:

1. Feathering the brakes when the engine is off sometimes leads to an unexpectedly sharp response from the regen braking. This is the only time that I've noticed the regen brakes. This mainly happens when rapidly changing your brake pedal travel at speeds below 10mph. On traditional hydraulic brakes, there's a lot of "dead travel" when you're just pushing against the hydraulic fluid before you finally reach the point at which your inputs cause slowdown. You're not so lucky with the AH3. If you want the car to be liquid smooth when stopping, avoid sudden changes in brake pedal application below 10mph.

2. Once in a while from a full-stop, I've felt a clunky either 1->2 upshift or engagement of the engine. It causes a bit of a torque ripple and audible clunky noise, but is not terribly disruptive and never reproducible. It's happened maybe at 2 takeoffs under moderate throttle, out of the hundreds of times that I've done it already.

All in all, "I can't believe this is a hybrid" still stands. These are extremely nitpick faults, and I've driven plenty of gasoline-only luxury cars that did more ridiculous things.

Folks with 7/12 build dates who went in for the reprogramming, did the dealership ever explain what it's for? I'm wondering if I should bring it up with a service tech if there's something in there that I'd care about. I haven't had issues switching modes...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #175
jdong
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Very true. The electric A/C compressor should help to keep the car running on battery for enough minutes to deal with long traffic signals.
I'll weigh in on this too -- I live in California where the sun beating down makes AC mandatory. I've also spent a good deal of time lately sitting in my parked car familiarizing myself with the nav. With the AC on, the car will idle for a minute or two to charge to 25%, and then shut off and drain to 10% over the course of 5 or so minutes, and repeat this cycle.

If you're in Eco Pro mode, the discharge rate is much much slower, but you can feel the cabin temperate cycle a few degrees warmer and cooler of your set temperature.

Either mode is a huge win over non-hybrid start-stop and I guess you can choose whether you want to save a few drops of fuel at the expense of feeling slightly warm while stopped. I love turning off the radio when I'm stopped to bask in the silence of this car!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #176
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
I'll weigh in on this too -- I live in California where the sun beating down makes AC mandatory. I've also spent a good deal of time lately sitting in my parked car familiarizing myself with the nav. With the AC on, the car will idle for a minute or two to charge to 25%, and then shut off and drain to 10% over the course of 5 or so minutes, and repeat this cycle.

If you're in Eco Pro mode, the discharge rate is much much slower, but you can feel the cabin temperate cycle a few degrees warmer and cooler of your set temperature.

Either mode is a huge win over non-hybrid start-stop and I guess you can choose whether you want to save a few drops of fuel at the expense of feeling slightly warm while stopped. I love turning off the radio when I'm stopped to bask in the silence of this car!
If BMW is really cycling the LiOn batteries down to 10% then lifespan will be reduced. LiOn batteries actually prefer to stay charged. Life is longer when they are charged before being depleted. Very different than NiCd and NiMH.
Appreciate 0