F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F36 with HiFI sound pack OEM
Extreme Powerhouse

03-06-2023, 01:46 AM   #1
Sweden76
SWEDEN
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i (F36)

F36 with HiFI sound pack OEM

Hello all, I have a BMW from 2015 with the HiFI option (I think is called "676"). It means in total 7 speakers. The sound performance I think it´s pretty flat.

I´m not a teengaer (unfortunatelly...I´m 46), who is just looking to high blaster volume, I really want to "enjoy" the music... have some kind on "inmersion" that I don´t find on this "decaf" HiFI sound.

After reading many posts and considering that I would like to spend on it the less aount of money... Many people suggest just to replace the HIFI OEM amplifier by one of this 2 ones:

1.- MATCH UP 7BMW (plug and play.... BUT.... looks that it´s convinient to connect it to the car battery).

2.- ETON STEALTH 7.1 DSP (plug and play too.... and a must to connect it to the car battery)

If I replace the amplifier (and I set the right settings...) the cost will be around 900$. I´m not planning at all to replace anything else. DO you think It will be worthy?.

If so, where do you suggest to connect the negative terminal?. TO the battery or to the car chassis (anywhere)??.

Sorry for my poor english. Hope you will understand me good enough.
BR and thanks!
Sweden
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 02:30 AM   #2
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

I'm not familiar with the upgrades, but the hifi system has at least 8 speakers:
Front: 2 tweeters, 2 mid ends, 2 woofers under the seats and maybe(??) A center speaker in the dash.

Rear: 2 mid ends in the doors

I haven't been able to hear the center speaker in the dash, neither with stereo music, nor with surround sound DVD's. Maybe someone else knows in what situations this is activated?

It could be that the front tweeters & mid ends are connected as one speaker and have their own dedicated crossover filters.

To be honest, I don't think the hifi system sounds very flat. Of course there is always room for improvement though. What audio source are you using and how is it connected?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 02:45 AM   #3
Sweden76
SWEDEN
Spain
Rep

Thanks MidtoownMike for the quick reply.
Yes, you are right about my speakers setup sorry. (2 front doors+ 2 steeters+2 woofers+1 center+2 rear = 9 in total ).

I usually lisent into my pendrive files (MP3, and FLAC files, but all of them with high quality, or no looses at all like on the FLAC files).

What is a bit funny is that I feel better equalized the radio (more "vivid", more "inmersive") than my files on the USB stick. Strange.

Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 06:56 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The MatchUp is the best option. There are multiple threads about it here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=426
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      03-06-2023, 11:21 AM   #5
MidtownMike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI 320i M-Sport Shado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden76 View Post
Thanks MidtoownMike for the quick reply.
Yes, you are right about my speakers setup sorry. (2 front doors+ 2 steeters+2 woofers+1 center+2 rear = 9 in total ).

I usually lisent into my pendrive files (MP3, and FLAC files, but all of them with high quality, or no looses at all like on the FLAC files).

What is a bit funny is that I feel better equalized the radio (more "vivid", more "inmersive") than my files on the USB stick. Strange.

Thanks a lot!
In my experience, FLAC & 320kbps files on the hard disk or USB drive do sound a bit flatter than other audio sources, making me think that the bottleneck may be the DAC and not the amplifier / speaker setup. Also, the hifi head unit does not have a real equalizer. Do you have an aux? What does it sound like when you connect a quality audio source with a FLAC file?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:20 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden76 View Post
Hello all, I have a BMW from 2015 with the HiFI option (I think is called "676"). It means in total 7 speakers. The sound performance I think it´s pretty flat.

I´m not a teengaer (unfortunatelly...I´m 46), who is just looking to high blaster volume, I really want to "enjoy" the music... have some kind on "inmersion" that I don´t find on this "decaf" HiFI sound.

After reading many posts and considering that I would like to spend on it the less aount of money... Many people suggest just to replace the HIFI OEM amplifier by one of this 2 ones:

1.- MATCH UP 7BMW (plug and play.... BUT.... looks that it´s convinient to connect it to the car battery).

2.- ETON STEALTH 7.1 DSP (plug and play too.... and a must to connect it to the car battery)

If I replace the amplifier (and I set the right settings...) the cost will be around 900$. I´m not planning at all to replace anything else. DO you think It will be worthy?.

If so, where do you suggest to connect the negative terminal?. TO the battery or to the car chassis (anywhere)??.

Sorry for my poor english. Hope you will understand me good enough.
BR and thanks!
Sweden
Do the Match 7BMW amplifier upgrade. And upgrade the two underseat subwoofers to the Earthquake SWS-8Xi (2-ohm). There is much posted about this.

As far as the power and ground connections I’ll attach photos of where I connected my secondary amplifier. I wouldn’t connect directly to the battery. There’s a post nearby that’s perfect. And in the other direction near the battery is one of the car’s stock ground connections.

I would assume that the Match amplifier has an internal fuse/circuit breaker. Find out the amperage. Usually when power connections are added they recommend an inline fuse about 12” from the power connection. See photo example. I’d suggest an inline circuit breaker like in the photo that’s the same amp rating that Match uses.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      03-08-2023, 12:32 PM   #7
Sweden76
SWEDEN
Spain
Rep

WOW Johnung!!!!. Amazing info and support, really thanks a lot for the detailed info!. Also really good tricks about how to connect the cables, not directly to the battery. and the pictures also looks like how it is on my F36 . GREAT.

Thanks again.

MidtownMike and Billitz, thanks also for your suggestion, I will go for the Match Up7.
I did test also yesterday connecting the mobile phone with the aux. to my car.... and playing with the mob. phone amplifier (software Android APK...). Ummm.... I think that the result was worse. Of course I could feel the difference, more "body" on the songs, but too saturated, and not really convinced about the quality.

Best solution as you say, replace the amplifier my Match Up 7BMW and also (if I´m still not satisfied...) the subwoofers.

THANKS!
Sweden76
Appreciate 0