F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Manual or Automatic
proTUNING Freaks

06-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #111
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

I'm embarrassed. I don't know how to drive an automatic transmission. Maybe I should take lessons--NOT.
      06-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #112
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

The new 8 speed is an awesome bit of kit. Always had manual this is the best compromise
      06-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #113
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz123 View Post
I too had my E90 in for the battery cable and received a 320i automatic loaner. I found the imprecision of the transmission to be unbearable. My BMW experience began with a 1972 BMW 2002 and continued on with one of every new 3 series generation up to my current E90. Alas, it seems that after 50 continuous years of ownership, the E90 could be my last BMW. Although I am not fond of Audis, it is looking like the only viable alternative. I want a small 4 door body and I don't want more power than a 328i produces. It appears, at least here in Canada, that the days of manual transmission availability in a 328i are numbered as are the days of rear wheel drive.

I notice that the "Ultimate Driving Machine" advertisements with the engine singing as the driver downshifts on a twisty road are gone, maybe because it isn't true anymore. The little BMW has become big, fat and bloated likely to better suit moms dropping kids off at school or shopping at the mall. Too bad.
That "little" BMW is the 1 series and it's quite sweet.
MT will be available in that model for quite some time I think as it's a very popular trans choice. The other being the DCT, not offered in the 3.
The current 1 series is being replaced soon with a new 2 series coupe.
There is still the possibility of a 2 series based sedan, and I REALLY hope BMW does it, as that will likely be my next car.
If no sedan, then I'll likely go back to the "little" 2 series coupe.
I really enjoyed my 135i with MT. It had what is special about BMW.

My 335i Msport is likely my last 3 series as I too it's become too big, and BMW has lost sight of what BMW sport sedan owners want in their 3's.
If BMW would have actually done better tuning with the sport line and Msport line, then I wouldn't feel this way.
But, they also softened the sport/Msport too much, just as they did the non sport versions compared to the E46 and E90.

The sport/Msport just didn't get enough SPORT attention from BMW.
It's as if BMW simply said let's just lower the suspension a bit, put in sport seats, up the spring rat a tad, not TOO much, and call it "done".
Then, they also missed the opportunity with the Msport, which should be a firmer more BMW driver focused version to appeal to the sport sedan driver.
Instead, they went cosmetic adding a cool body kit, nice looking and feeling steering wheel, the more cosmetic M logo's in places and an M footrest, and calling it "done" too.
There is NOTHING "M" about the Msport other than cosmetics.
Shame, BIG shame.

As for trans, I've been driving MT over 20 years, but decided to relax a bit and try out the new sport AT.
It's an amazing AT. Rapid fire quick shifts, just as fast as the DCT's and DSG's I've driven.
But, it's no substitute for the MT experience if that is what you love and prefer. It's a great substitute for an auto trans and for DCT though. It's smoother than DCT, DSG, or any other "auto" type trans.

My experience is ruined though as my sport AT doesn't work so smoothly in manual and sport mode as other sport AT's I've driven in F30's.
Manual shifts in my 335i are quick but abrupt, I can feel every single upshift and get a slight head bobble. Downshifts are worse. Sport mode feels nearly the same. The only butter smooth nearly imperceptible shifts I get are in "normal" D mode, where it works like magic.
But I opted for it as I wanted the smoothness in manual mode as well.
I had the dealer look at it once, but they didn't get what I was saying.
To them as long as it shifts it's working "as designed", well it's not. It's a quality of shift issue and the tech's are not so concerned about that.
It's ruined my original enthusiasm for my 335i Msport, and I do wish I would have got the MT instead given my over all experience with the sport AT.

I've got an appointment with the shop for a laundry list of issues including the "limp mode" high fan problem, clunking in the steering wheel, and a couple of other rattles.
I'm going to insist that they fix my trans. 2.5 more years of this is really going to sour my love of BMW.
Oh, and my speedometer NEVER reads 0 mph while sitting still. It's off by about 2 mph. Yes, it's a very minor and silly complaint, but when you start adding things up even the little things start to bother me.
Even the odd squeak in the dash, which didn't bother me at all a few months ago is now really irritating me.

Hang in there and hope BMW does it's homework on the 2 series, and realizes they need a small sport sedan to compete with MB's small sedan and Audi's new A3 and S3 sedan. If not, the new A3 is coming really soon and the S3 isn't too far behind.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #114
CobraZb
Rep
Drives: 04 Mustang Cobra

Interesting thread. New the the forum here, and this among other things is one of the major questions I have to answer in my quest for the 335 I want. Lots of great opinions. Seems to me and from what I'm reading here, that the manual argument is more about feeling then true performance. But when looking at the numbers, and correct me if I'm wrong, the auto 335 is faster over all. Not trying to fan a bickering war here just trying to understand. Cheers gents,
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #115
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraZb View Post
Interesting thread. New the the forum here, and this among other things is one of the major questions I have to answer in my quest for the 335 I want. Lots of great opinions. Seems to me and from what I'm reading here, that the manual argument is more about feeling then true performance. But when looking at the numbers, and correct me if I'm wrong, the auto 335 is faster over all. Not trying to fan a bickering war here just trying to understand. Cheers gents,
0-60 According to BMW USA:

320i: 7.1s (man); 7.1s (auto)
328i: 5.7s (man); 5.8s (auto)
335i: 5.4s (man); 5.1s (auto)

So BMW says manual box is faster for the 328, slower for the 335 and the same for 320. In other words, the difference is negligible in real world conditions.

I have never driven an auto box where the liquid link between the engine and the drive wheels gives you the same direct connection feel of a mechanical manual clutch, and it looks like the 8sp slushbox, while better, still gives you the slushbox feel (as it should).

Given the choice of a torque converter and a manual clutch, I think I'll stay with the manual until I'm too old to care about driving feel at which time I'll probably opt for the less sporty but better comfort of a MB or Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #116
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That "little" BMW is the 1 series and it's quite sweet.
MT will be available in that model for quite some time I think as it's a very popular trans choice. The other being the DCT, not offered in the 3.
The current 1 series is being replaced soon with a new 2 series coupe.
There is still the possibility of a 2 series based sedan, and I REALLY hope BMW does it, as that will likely be my next car.
If no sedan, then I'll likely go back to the "little" 2 series coupe.
I really enjoyed my 135i with MT. It had what is special about BMW.

My 335i Msport is likely my last 3 series as I too it's become too big, and BMW has lost sight of what BMW sport sedan owners want in their 3's.
If BMW would have actually done better tuning with the sport line and Msport line, then I wouldn't feel this way.
But, they also softened the sport/Msport too much, just as they did the non sport versions compared to the E46 and E90.

The sport/Msport just didn't get enough SPORT attention from BMW.
It's as if BMW simply said let's just lower the suspension a bit, put in sport seats, up the spring rat a tad, not TOO much, and call it "done".
Then, they also missed the opportunity with the Msport, which should be a firmer more BMW driver focused version to appeal to the sport sedan driver.
Instead, they went cosmetic adding a cool body kit, nice looking and feeling steering wheel, the more cosmetic M logo's in places and an M footrest, and calling it "done" too.
There is NOTHING "M" about the Msport other than cosmetics.
Shame, BIG shame.

As for trans, I've been driving MT over 20 years, but decided to relax a bit and try out the new sport AT.
It's an amazing AT. Rapid fire quick shifts, just as fast as the DCT's and DSG's I've driven.
But, it's no substitute for the MT experience if that is what you love and prefer. It's a great substitute for an auto trans and for DCT though. It's smoother than DCT, DSG, or any other "auto" type trans.

My experience is ruined though as my sport AT doesn't work so smoothly in manual and sport mode as other sport AT's I've driven in F30's.
Manual shifts in my 335i are quick but abrupt, I can feel every single upshift and get a slight head bobble. Downshifts are worse. Sport mode feels nearly the same. The only butter smooth nearly imperceptible shifts I get are in "normal" D mode, where it works like magic.
But I opted for it as I wanted the smoothness in manual mode as well.
I had the dealer look at it once, but they didn't get what I was saying.
To them as long as it shifts it's working "as designed", well it's not. It's a quality of shift issue and the tech's are not so concerned about that.
It's ruined my original enthusiasm for my 335i Msport, and I do wish I would have got the MT instead given my over all experience with the sport AT.

I've got an appointment with the shop for a laundry list of issues including the "limp mode" high fan problem, clunking in the steering wheel, and a couple of other rattles.
I'm going to insist that they fix my trans. 2.5 more years of this is really going to sour my love of BMW.
Oh, and my speedometer NEVER reads 0 mph while sitting still. It's off by about 2 mph. Yes, it's a very minor and silly complaint, but when you start adding things up even the little things start to bother me.
Even the odd squeak in the dash, which didn't bother me at all a few months ago is now really irritating me.

Hang in there and hope BMW does it's homework on the 2 series, and realizes they need a small sport sedan to compete with MB's small sedan and Audi's new A3 and S3 sedan. If not, the new A3 is coming really soon and the S3 isn't too far behind.
What is your build date and factory?
      06-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #117
z335ixp09
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 WRX Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabz View Post
Age old question.

I was originally looking at used 3-series before I decided to go with the F30.
Everything was Automatic, so I was reluctantly preparing myself to become an Automatic driver.

I have been a Manual driver my whole life, and didn't want to switch to Automatic.
When I decided on a 335i I made sure I got myself a 6-speed because there is simply NO OTHER WAY to fully ENJOY the control, speed, and maneuverability of a car unless you are driving manual.

Many people will disagree with that, but I also love driving Manual because I feel it is safer.
Every time I drive an Automatic, I am more inclined to check my cell phone, take a phone call instead of ignoring it, play with the radio, etc.

With an automatic you have an arm and a leg that does the work for you.
If you are a Manual driver, all four limbs are working, both legs, both hands (unless you're cruising in 6th on the highway)

I am more aware at how fast I am going because I know when I have switched into a certain gear, and downshifting to overtake someone is way more satisfying in a manual than an automatic.

I also look at it as a romantic attribute to have with your sports car.
More cars are going toward paddle-shifting, and I understand it's more accurate than a manual could ever be on SOME cars, but for the new 3-series: get a manual.

I've had friends who have made the jump to manual and couldn't believe what they were missing.

Cliffnotes: Manual is the only way to drive.
+1

i work for a dealership and i drove both versions a lot. and being a manual driver ever since i learned to drive, there's no auto transmission, be the 8AT or a DCT will ever give you the same satisfaction as the manual can give you.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #118
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
What is your build date and factory?
German build 7/2012 among the first batch of US Msport's , 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #119
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
German build 7/2012 among the first batch of US Msport's , 335i
Mine is August 2012 from Munich.
      06-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #120
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

automatic of course. The 8 speed ZF gear box is amazing. I would be lying if I said I can shift better and faster than the ZF.

I would require a proper stick on a Porsche 911, but not in ANY BMW. Not even the Ms.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #121
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
automatic of course. The 8 speed ZF gear box is amazing. I would be lying if I said I can shift better and faster than the ZF.

I would require a proper stick on a Porsche 911, but not in ANY BMW. Not even the Ms.
Why? The 911 is a sports car (okay, a GT car, but still). If anything, I'd want the PDK shifting performance in a track car, but in a street car I want the enjoyment of rowing my own gears.
Appreciate 0