F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Installing Side Decals
Studio RSR

02-06-2017, 04:23 AM   #1
DanChapman90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 M Sport

Installing Side Decals

Hi guys,

Anyone on here installed the side decals themselves? (OEM or after market)
I got some OEM ones from Liam's BMW chaps on his Facebook group and thought I'd read somewhere that the top of the protective film should line up with the top of the sill so you know you have it in the right place? Using a water spray gun with soapy water seems to be a must as well?

Any advice?
Thanks
      02-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

I installed non-OEM ones. There was nothing to line mine up. I had a look at some pics on line and also a few cars in person and they all seemed a little different. None of them actually properly followed the lines of the car!!!

Both mine are slightly different, but since you cant see both sides together, it is not obvious.

you will need soapy water in a spray bottle

1. Clean the area - sound obvious, but a wash is not enough. you need all the tar spots off and it should feel free of any bumps/spots
2. Clean it again with alchohol or Panel Wipe if you are into detailing
3. spray car with soapy
4. spray sticker with soapy (2people certainly helps)
5. align the middle first
6. adjust until rear part is sitting correct
7. go back to middle and squeggie (spelling ???) out water/air. Work from the middle outwards.

at some point you will need a heat gun. it can be tricky to get all the air out. the bits folded under the sill are not the prettiest on mine - but they cant be seen.

The professionals make it look SO easy

(mines is a F31)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #3
DanChapman90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
I installed non-OEM ones. There was nothing to line mine up. I had a look at some pics on line and also a few cars in person and they all seemed a little different. None of them actually properly followed the lines of the car!!!

Both mine are slightly different, but since you cant see both sides together, it is not obvious.

you will need soapy water in a spray bottle

1. Clean the area - sound obvious, but a wash is not enough. you need all the tar spots off and it should feel free of any bumps/spots
2. Clean it again with alchohol or Panel Wipe if you are into detailing
3. spray car with soapy
4. spray sticker with soapy (2people certainly helps)
5. align the middle first
6. adjust until rear part is sitting correct
7. go back to middle and squeggie (spelling ???) out water/air. Work from the middle outwards.

at some point you will need a heat gun. it can be tricky to get all the air out. the bits folded under the sill are not the prettiest on mine - but they cant be seen.

The professionals make it look SO easy

(mines is a F31)
Thank you so much for your detailed response!

I was going to wash the car, then use Tar-X and Iron-X remover, probably clay the sills as well to remove any polish residue, IPA them and then use the soapy water method like you say.

Some people say to start at the front and work backwards but I'd be worried about getting the rear part aligned properly!
I certainly want to give it a go but I'm just concerned about screwing up £70 vinyls haha, no idea how much a vinyl place would charge to install them...
      02-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #4
J60nyn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f31 335d xdrive m sport

Garage List
  [0.00]
I fitted my oem ones myself the backing paper should line up to the top edge of the sill. use a bit of tape to secure it in place and slowly peel the backing off 180deg to the decal. so you don't lift the decal away from the panel.

it's a bit fiddly but stick with it.

use plenty of soapy water and a squeegee to remove the air bubles. you also get a small square for the inside edge of the front wheel arch fit that first.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
DanChapman90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J60nyn View Post
I fitted my oem ones myself the backing paper should line up to the top edge of the sill. use a bit of tape to secure it in place and slowly peel the backing off 180deg to the decal. so you don't lift the decal away from the panel.

use plenty of soapy water and a squeegee to remove the air bubles. you also get a small square for the inside edge of the front wheel arch fit that first.
Thanks for the advice, I was wondering about the little square that wraps around in to the front wheel arch. Does it withstand all the stones being thrown at it from the wheels?
      02-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
J60nyn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f31 335d xdrive m sport

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanChapman90
Quote:
Originally Posted by J60nyn View Post

Thanks for the advice, I was wondering about the little square that wraps around in to the front wheel arch. Does it withstand all the stones being thrown at it from the wheels?
yes mine has been on 6 months and not a mark on it
Appreciate 0