F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Nbt Retrofit On A F30 Without Nav Or Bluetooth Audio
Extreme Powerhouse

01-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
F30wasty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive sport

Nbt Retrofit On A F30 Without Nav Or Bluetooth Audio

I have the 6.5 inch screen without navigation nor Bluetooth Audio now
I want a bigger screen with Bluetooth Audio and NAV. I wanted to go BimmerTech vivid screen and smart-view route but it's about $900
So I'm saying why not go the NBT route
I was quoted more than $2K
Has any one retrofitted the NBT less than 1500
If you have any information and where to get it please let me know. I was told it's a lot of wiring and with emulator for the NBT. I see a lot on eBay what do I purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:21 PM   #2
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30wasty View Post
I want a bigger screen with Bluetooth Audio and NAV. I wanted to go BimmerTech vivid screen and smart-view route but it's about $900
If you have any information and where to get it please let me know. I was told it's a lot of wiring and with emulator for the NBT. I see a lot on eBay what do I purchase.
2k is a bit too pricy for a NBT. Anyways, I got your PM and responded to it so perhaps you will like what we have to offer you
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Quote:
I had the same factory set up as you. Got my NBT retrofit from Steve steve@codemybimmer

He will take care of you, trust me.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
cdwalls
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32

Steve, PM me! Same set up as op. Curious what i will be quoted.
      01-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
sk8ter
Registered
Rep
Drives: E71, F30, E46

I'd have to agree that $2000 for nbt is a bit pricey. I got mine from Bimmer Retrofit for less than that, and my friend got nbt evo from them for around $2K. I'd recommend you reach out to them. Not sure how to tag them, but they are bmwretrofit on this site.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 02:28 AM   #6
laggysogxx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
2k is a bit too pricy for a NBT. Anyways, I got your PM and responded to it so perhaps you will like what we have to offer you
Hey Steve, would you mind sharing details about the NBT upgrade for my 2013 328i? I'll send you a PM.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andycho7 View Post
Hey Steve, would you mind sharing details about the NBT upgrade for my 2013 328i? I'll send you a PM.

Thanks in advance.
PM sent.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #8
paul6763
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: 430d msport

hi had a nbt retrofit on my f30 works great had it done by shawn sheridan on here great job
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #9
meadcd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive, NBT retrofit

F30wasty - thanks for this post. I'd been looking for something to replace my rig, which is exactly the same as yours, and didn't realize there was a step between CIC and NBT EVO (i'm new to bmw ownership).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 04:31 AM   #10
F30wasty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive sport

Thanks to @[steve@codemybimmer] I got exactly what I wanted. Navigation, bigger screen, bmw apps. I can also play Spotify through my phone. Everything looks great. He configured everything to work with my car so it was totally plug and play
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #11
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks to @[steve@codemybimmer] I got exactly what I wanted. Navigation, bigger screen, bmw apps. I can also play Spotify through my phone. Everything looks great. He configured everything to work with my car so it was totally plug and play
Glad to hear

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 11:44 PM   #12
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 320i

I can say the same, did my NBT retrofit this weekend.

We ran into a couple of issues, mostly ok all cause by me, but Steve was very patient, great communication and we got everything working.

And we both learned something during my retrofit so it was a wonderful win.

Thanks again steve@codemybimmer
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #13
meadcd
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive, NBT retrofit

NBT Retrofit, Backup Camera Install - Steve from CodeMyBimmer is my hero.

NBT retrofit fully installed, courtesy of and many thanks to Steve from CodeMyBimmer.ca - he hooked me up too. 0 coding for any part of this project, everything was plug and play.

I won't post pics (unless asked) since everyone else did, but the experience I had with Steve was fantastic. Service and support was patient and easily available, and prices were awesome.

Steve also recommended a backup camera which didn't require PDC (which I don't have). The camera, in case anyone is interested, is from Emtronika, model BM-RVI1E, and even though Steve didn't sell the camera he was knowledgeable and helpful, and made himself available for my stupid questions during the install.

There are tons of write-ups and videos on installation for this head unit and camera.
i used this one for the head unit:

and this one for the camera unit

note that the camera in the video isn't the specific one i used, but the install strategy was accurate and helpful. credit for the videos goes to Omar Alassil, who made them both.

Additionally, I can mention some things about the installation others might find helpful:

1) The Emtronika unit replaces the trunk release handle, fits and looks OEM. The clips which hold the trunk handle in are a bit tight but with a plastic trim tool and carefully applied pressure it'll pop right out. NOTE: it's a good idea to remove your rear license plate for this as it'll give you more clearance to get the old handle out and the new handle w/camera in.

2) Most installation writeups for this recommend routing the camera wire through the trunk and up the passenger side under the trim (which i did). These installations also recommend removing the trim completely for this installation, which i did not find necessary - i removed the upper side-seat trim and the footwell trim from the rear passenger side. Everything else, i was able to tuck the wire under the edge of the trim and it held itself in place just fine.

3) The camera install kit comes with several parts:

Camera (and trunk handle)
Camera ECM
Camera cable
Quad-lock adapter
Video Cable

The intent is that you install the camera ECM so that the video feed goes from the NBT to the ECM, and then to the monitor in the car. I found that, in testing, I needed specifically to use the video cable supplied with the camera kit to connect the monitor and camera ECM, and use the video cable i received from Steve to connect the NBT and the camera ECM.

I also noted that, in the quad-lock wire hardness, there is a blue cable which hangs out of one of the connectors, and is not terminated. It does nothing - you don't need to splice or terminate - just tuck it in with the rest of the cabling.

***EDIT (2/14/18)*** I receieved a note from Mangirdas at Emtronika - "those loose cables are for manual gearbox cars". Here's a link to the documentation and images which I used for reference when installing the camera: https://mega.nz/#F!4spDSRhK!jU4wuA0UWYLDs6ykL4jrPQ

/EDIT

4) with the quad-lock adapter harness, the camera ECM, and the NBT, there wasn't a lot of room in the dash. I was able to get it all to fit (barely) by taking advantage of a void between the NBT unit and the glove box to house the camera ECM. You need to place the ECM in first, vertically, and doing so will take a lot of finagling and adjustment to get it in place without scratching the s&*( out of the cabling, but it is possible. At that point the NBT unit can go in place, carefully, to avoid damaging the cabling.

after that, assembly was easy.

5) I've read a bunch throughout this and other forums about the differences between NBT and NBT EVO mainly being that the EVO unit is faster and can support ID5/6. That might make you think that the NBT unit is slow - this is absolutely not the case. It's fast as hell.

In short - Steve from CodeMyBimmer.ca is the man. He will hook you the hell up.

Thank you, Steve!

-c

Last edited by meadcd; 02-14-2018 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #14
Cnav82
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 320i sedan

Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
PM sent.
Hi Steve I’m new to all this, I have an f30 no nav or Bluetooth for music streaming, it’s only to make and receive calls. I would like a bigger screen with all this other options that my car is missing. Was looking into Avin USA for the 10.25 Android system but lots of people having issues with them. Any way you can you can help me out and point me to right direction and where to get them?
Thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #15
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Keep looking. I got full nbt setup for $450 it can b done.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #16
cshawkeye
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I can say Steve is awesome. I am working with him now to do an NBT retrofit, just need to find someone in the DC metro area that would assist me with the install now.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #17
prosty
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i X-Drive 2014

Does the standard upgrade from entry to nav work if you have a factory backup camera? I want to do this too!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #18
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosty View Post
Does the standard upgrade from entry to nav work if you have a factory backup camera? I want to do this too!
Yep, we can code it accordingly to ensure that your factory backup camera still functions.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:28 PM   #19
prosty
Sweden
Rep

Thanks for the reply, what about service history? Is that stored in the idrive or do we back it up somehow and exporting it to the newer unit? Or is the history stored elsewhere?

Do you have site or do I contact you via e-mail about the details of what I need to buy? Or do you have ready kits for this?

regards
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:08 AM   #20
k2golf
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 - 2014 xdrive

Display 10"?

Hey awmenard, is that a 10" display with the NBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmenard View Post

We ran into a couple of issues, mostly ok all cause by me, but Steve was very patient, great communication and we got everything working.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 01:21 AM   #21
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2golf View Post
Hey awmenard, is that a 10" display with the NBT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmenard View Post

Yes it is, the whole unit came from a F15.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:37 AM   #22
prosty
Sweden
Rep

Still wondering about service history. If you upgrade the whole unit with nav (and the screen ofc), does the service history get replaced with the donor units history?
I have hu_entry

regards
Appreciate 0