F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Would you ditch your E30 for an F30?
Studio RSR

10-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo View Post
Honestly you are comparing a 4k go kart feeling car to a 45k+luxury sedan. I have owned both and honestly once you DD anything newer then a e46 you start missing those simple things that updated cars have. Plus if you haven't converted your R12 that AC never cools as well as these newer more efficient compressors. I live in TX so that is huge for me lol. I have an E30 but it's rarely ever driven when it's running.
I agree concerning the AC, I only use it as a defroster. Living in Massachusetts, it's not such a big deal. On really hot/humid days I take the V6 Accord. The E30 is useful as my DD, but I've got another.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

Well if you are more concerned about garage space you can use the F30 to replace both of those =P.
      10-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #25
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
At a certain point, you need to just man up and drive an F30. Do NOT drive an Xdrive car, drive an RWD Sport or MSport as it's the only way to get a mechanical sport suspension.

If you are not too far from NJ, you are welcome to drive my car which has proper tires, springs, and transmission.
So JV, I finally found the time and "manned up". I found a 328i xDrive Sportline w/o DHP at Tulley BMW near my home. (We turned off the DTC so it was basically RWD--or so the CA claimed.) The CA didn't let me play with it too much but I got a feel for what it could do with better tires and wheels and a RSB. Power was adequate but not overwhelming, I felt it could use another 25-30 hp. Steering was not as responsive as my E30, but that's also a function of tires/wheels. All in all I found it a well-damped ride (even in Sport+) and wouldn't hesitate to buy one in the early spring and run through a set of performance RFTs before I buy my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 replacements.

Are those Eibach RSBs really available now? BTW, JV, do you have static or adaptive sport suspension?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #26
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Keep the E30. Classic BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:01 AM   #27
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
So JV, I finally found the time and "manned up". I found a 328i xDrive Sportline w/o DHP at Tulley BMW near my home. (We turned off the DTC so it was basically RWD--or so the CA claimed.) The CA didn't let me play with it too much but I got a feel for what it could do with better tires and wheels and a RSB. Power was adequate but not overwhelming, I felt it could use another 25-30 hp. Steering was not as responsive as my E30, but that's also a function of tires/wheels. All in all I found it a well-damped ride (even in Sport+) and wouldn't hesitate to buy one in the early spring and run through a set of performance RFTs before I buy my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 replacements.

Are those Eibach RSBs really available now? BTW, JV, do you have static or adaptive sport suspension?
LOL, your CA was a tool. Again, the Sportline had no sport suspension and no DHP thanks to it being an Xdrive. You longed for 25hp more, but the car had an extra 150lbs of weight to lug around. Really not a great way to judge compared to your RWD E30.

I have the static Sport suspension with added H&R Springs. The RSBs have hit the web, just not sure if they can be ordered in the US YET.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #28
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
LOL, your CA was a tool. Again, the Sportline had no sport suspension and no DHP thanks to it being an Xdrive. You longed for 25hp more, but the car had an extra 150lbs of weight to lug around. Really not a great way to judge compared to your RWD E30.

I have the static Sport suspension with added H&R Springs. The RSBs have hit the web, just not sure if they can be ordered in the US YET.
Tulley BMW in Nashua NH has a good reputation and rated #2 in BMW dealerships this year according to BMWUSA. But I'm not going back there. Before I drove up there they specifically assured me that they had a RWD 328i with sport suspension, but no such animal was available when I got there. They just lost a customer.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #29
mattu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 14 335GT, 21 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardnation View Post
Never sell your E30. You. will. regret. it.
I just sold my e30 M3 after 9+ years of ownership a few months back, and I'm afraid that's going to haunt me forever. I must say, there was substantial incentive to sell the M3 given the high prices they are garnering now.
It'll be tough to find any car that will be as communicative as your E30. Sure, F30 will smoke the E30 by all the numbers, but it won't FEEL nearly as agile.

If you don't need something with 4 doors, I'd wait for the M235i with the optional LSD...it'll likely be the closest Bimmer available to your E30.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #30
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

This is unbelievable. I've contacted the three large dealers near my home and NONE of them have even ONE RWD 328i in stock!!! The reason, according to a CA, is that "nobody buys them in New England". I don't believe that for a second. What's going on here? Is BMW turning into Subaru?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #31
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Not in Australia lol we don't get X Drive at all
      10-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #32
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

I think a better fit for you may be the m235 when it arrives? The f30 is a great car but like others have said its just completely different than its predecessors...Its sensible as a daily driver, but not track worthy in my oppinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #33
lloydaustin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 533i

I made the move from an e28 to an f30. It is definitely different. If I could have both I totally would, but I remember some days driving the e28 and missing the whole new car thing; warranty, good bushings, everything works(I had a 2013 dart before the e28). I am still in the process of selling the e28 and will really miss it but for now I need one car that gets me where I need to be without question, not saying the e28 wouldn't but it is 30 years old and the f30 is a couple months old.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #34
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Please explain how shutting off DTC affects the drivetrain in the XDrive. Is it some vague approximation of RWD?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #35
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
I think a better fit for you may be the m235 when it arrives? The f30 is a great car but like others have said its just completely different than its predecessors...Its sensible as a daily driver, but not track worthy in my oppinion.
The 328i would be a replacement for the family DD ('07 V6 Accord) which my wife also drives--not a replacement for the E30--so I'm looking at 4 doors and AT. I was initially wondering whether I should give up the E30 because of a shortage of garage space in our new domicile. I've been convinced by posters on this thread to find some way of garaging the E30 as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #36
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
The 328i would be a replacement for the family DD ('07 V6 Accord) which my wife also drives--not a replacement for the E30--so I'm looking at 4 doors and AT. I was initially wondering whether I should give up the E30 because of a shortage of garage space in our new domicile. I've been convinced by posters on this thread to find some way of garaging the E30 as well.
Well in that case it would be a great replacement, but definitely keep that e30!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #37
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Please explain how shutting off DTC affects the drivetrain in the XDrive. Is it some vague approximation of RWD?
No.

In a RWD car, it would allow for wheelspin and sideways fun with no computer intervention.

In AWD, it does not mean much of anything because wheelspin and sideways fun is not happening until a very high thresh-hold. Your CA implying that Xdrive becomes like RWD with the press of a button is silly.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #38
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^Thanks, JV. One more mark against Tulley BMW, too bad. I take it that disabling the DTC is not enough to override the AWD transmission, but what would be the affect of disabling DSC in AWD?

I did manage to identify the whereabouts of a rwd 328i (with SportLine!) in Boston, and will be driving it on Storrow Drive Sunday afternoon. Storrow Drive is a pretty road that tracks along the Charles River and has its fair share of turns, some of them a bit tight, so it should tell me a lot more than I know now, especially since I drive that road in my E30 all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #39
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^Thanks, JV. I take it that disabling the DTC is not enough to override the AWD transmission, but what would be the affect of disabling DSC in AWD?
No DSC in AWD means you could fling the car around a curve at 60 mph and the car will allow itself to get out of shape, DSC would intervene to keep you in your line.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #40
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
^Thanks, JV. I take it that disabling the DTC is not enough to override the AWD transmission, but what would be the affect of disabling DSC in AWD?
No DSC in AWD means you could fling the car around a curve at 60 mph and the car will allow itself to get out of shape, DSC would intervene to keep you in your line.
+1

I just wanted to add that you can easily test the limit, maybe let me say my limit, of these cars. Take the car in comfort mode around a tight curve at your max speed. Repeat in sport + and repeat with everything off. Comfort mode keeps your in line. You can feel the nannies kicking in to stop the tail from misbehaving. In sport+ the tail is liberated to the extent that I am comfortable with (my limits). My limits are obviously lower than JVs

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #41
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
+1

I just wanted to add that you can easily test the limit, maybe let me say my limit, of these cars. Take the car in comfort mode around a tight curve at your max speed. Repeat in sport + and repeat with everything off. Comfort mode keeps your in line. You can feel the nannies kicking in to stop the tail from misbehaving. In sport+ the tail is liberated to the extent that I am comfortable with (my limits). My limits are obviously lower than JVs
The key is, turning off DTC on XDrive does not somehow mimic how a RWD one would. I had my traction light lit up all day in Sport just from my summer tires being driven in 50 degrees. No such issue would exist with Xdrive, no button pushing on these cars transforms them as such.

Silly.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #42
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
+1

The key is, turning off DTC on XDrive does not somehow mimic how a RWD one would. I had my traction light lit up all day in Sport just from my summer tires being driven in 50 degrees. No such issue would exist with Xdrive, no button pushing on these cars transforms them as such.

Silly.
My point was even with xdrive and anyone with xdrive can test this, the car will not behave the same in all modes. There is definitely nannies in comfort mode which keep you in line and in sport + those nannies come off. I don't think the tail is going to swing to the front as with rwd or you can do donuts like rwd. I have done donuts in the snow in the x5 though, just for kicks However the car does give you some latitude to power out with a bit of oversteer. I can attest to this even in the x5.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #43
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My point was even with xdrive and anyone with xdrive can test this, the car will not behave the same in all modes. There is definitely nannies in comfort mode which keep you in line and in sport + those nannies come off. I don't think the tail is going to swing to the front as with rwd or you can do donuts like rwd. I have done donuts in the snow in the x5 though, just for kicks However the car does give you some latitude to power out with a bit of oversteer. I can attest to this even in the x5.
Op specifically talked of DTC off which trumps any of the modes. It means NO nannies are left in place which is not true of the driving modes.

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #44
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Op specifically talked of DTC off which trumps any of the modes. It means NO nannies are left in place which is not true of the driving modes.
Noted, I am yet to try DTC off aggressively. OP should try this himself. These cars are more than eager oblige. However it's unlikely DTC off will send all power to the rear

Appreciate 0