F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Help!!How to retrofit my new cluster into my F30
ARMA SPEED

03-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #45
nfxsh
Rep
Drives: 2013 F35

Below is the "modern" solution used by F30... If it's the solution my car used, I don't understand why FEM high or low matters in the ECU detection..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #46
mougwai
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfxsh View Post

So, with the FEM high, did you just connect Cluster to NBT like you described below?
I have KOMBI => NBT => AMP

Do you have inpa ? , you can see device connected in MOST ring, and do some initialisation...

Quote:

If so, the Cluster and NBT then makes a close loop with no other node in the loop. But, if FEM is not in the MOST ring, how can the FEM "link Most ring with PTCAN"?
No, Kombi is part of all most devices, as you can see in picture.

MOST GW is built in NBT, you can code Kombi only with most ring connected, so kombi cannot be coded through PT CAN, like basic kombi.

Quote:

What confused me is I do see several successful story that people with even lower configuration such as F35 320Li basic model retrofit the Extended IC and NBT successfully, and comment from them is like a snap, "just connect the IC to NBT with extra optical wires, do a quick coding, then you're all set..". F35 320li basic mode doesn't have Combox, but mine does. Could it because their FEM is high version while mine is low? Gee...
I really don't know why in somes cases kombi can be seen or not: try to do some most ring inisitialisation with tool32 or inpa.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #47
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

I'm trying to retrofit a 6WA kombi on my BKOMBI car.

Those who tried to retrofit the 6WA and couldn't detect it, I might have a theory, but no way to test it till I get my Kombi. I agree you need MOST Cable for all the MM stuff, Service information and Diagnostics, but you don't need it for flashing or detecting the ECU. I think I know why you can't detect the new KOMBI. I don't think you need to upgrade the FEM_BODY MAX/HIGH.

Both BKOMBI and 6WA Kombi uses FA_CAN to communicate to the car (FEM), only difference is 6WA has MOST as part of the Bus type for other information transfer.

Check picture 1 and 2.

Fist Picture with 6WA Kombi on Aritaurus's SVT and Second one is BKOMBI from my base car.

I was playing around with the SVT Target (what's written in the car's VCM) and SVT Actual what you have based on the ECU's you have in the car (Including anything you added). The reason I think you cant detect the New Kombi is because both BKombi and 6WA uses the same Hardware ID but different name. In this case ID 60. So when you Read SVT from SVT Actual it picks up the Information written in the VCM of your car, which has Hardware ID/name of the BKOMBI but in fact you have connected the 6WA, but software related to that is not relevant. It will still show you BKOMBI ECU information in the SVT tree. We know this already, which is why we inject the CAFD to the kombi, as per what we need to do. I think it fist reads VCM ECU and then whatever is connected to the car actual ecu, but if there's a conflict of Hardware ID, it defaults to VCM ecu relevant to that ID, regardless what you have connected.

I think all we need to do is make a backup of your original SVT Target and edit/delete out the BKombi, write this back to your VCM and then read the SVT actual from the car. This should in theory show the 6WA.

Worse come to worse. You can always write back your backup SVT target back to the car. If you still cant read it.

Maybe one of you can try this out if you had no success reading the 6WA.

Correct me if i'm wrong guys. From all the analysis, this is my understanding.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:09 PM   #48
F30EDR
Private
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire F30

It's worth a try. The only hole in this theory is that those who successfully did it also had BKOMBI and didn't have to go thru all these
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #49
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
But maybe those cars already had FEM_BODY MAX/HIGH due to another option like Adaptive Headlights.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #50
F30EDR
Private
Rep

That makes sense.

I think it would be better to find an FA with factory 6WA and manually add/edit parameters from it to one without.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #51
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Why? Coding is simple with proper hardware and installation. Just add 6WA to FA, and VO Code Kombi. Making an FDL Code comparison to a stock 6WA car is not necessary.

The issue here is getting E-Sys to recognize instrument cluster properly as Kombi and not BKombi, so it can then be coded.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #52
F30EDR
Private
Rep

It's for the second part of your statement, when E-Sys insist on using BKOMBI instead of KOMBI. I meant to say it's easier to modify FA by changing parameters than deleting the ECU altogether.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #53
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30EDR View Post
It's for the second part of your statement, when E-Sys insist on using BKOMBI instead of KOMBI. I meant to say it's easier to modify FA by changing parameters than deleting the ECU altogether.
There is only one parameter in FA to change, and that is add 6WA. Nothing more.

The problem lies at the hardware level causing SVT not to recognize 6WA cluster, even with 6WA in FA.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #54
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

F30EDR, I think FA is just a guideline for SVT's. FA informs SVT's, what options they have to turn on/off based on the Option list.

Last night when I read my SVT actual, my SVT tree showed TBX and ZEB3 modules. I never had these in my CAR, but yet they showed up (I was using a Donor vin to flash my NBT FW, donor vin/build date contained TBX and ZEB3). When i backed up my SVT target from VCM, it had TBX and ZEB3 modules in the list. What I did was write back my Factory SVT target (from a backup) back to VCM and then read it again, now it only showed what my actual list was. Which is why I think SVT actual is not reliable, As it composes whats written in VCM and any other ECU not conflicting with hardware ID. If there's a conflict, it presents what's in VCM

For example, ZEB2 was connected to my K_CAN and working. But my SVT list showed ZEB3, hardware wise ZEB3 is supposed to be connected to BODY_CAN bus, but with the same hardware ID as ZEB2 (103). So what my point is, it doesn't matter what Bus it's connecting to as long as ID's don't conflict we should be able to get 6WA Kombi working.

SO now I tried this in my car. Deleted my BKOMBI from SVT target list and wrote that to my VCM. for a few second my KOMBI stopped working. Then came back online. I read the SVT actual, it showed all my ECU's. Then went back to my SVT Target and did another backup Edited the XML guess what. BKOMBI wasn't there. But yet, SVT actual was able to compose the list based on VCM and whatever is connected to my bus.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #55
F30EDR
Private
Rep

Thanks. I'm thinking of doing this so all your efforts are appreciated. I hope to avoid all these issues when it's my time to do the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #56
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Shawn, has anyone confirmed that, there is a FEM MAX/HIGH avaliable for F30? I keep comparing parts on etk, and all I see is hardware revisions/build (D5, D6, D7.1 and D7.4).

It sounds to me like FEM Max/High doesn't exist. As I have also compared the software/hw ID's of Aritaurus's and my FEM (we both share the same production month and software update recently), they both are the same. His car has Xenon's and Extended Kombi, but yet he has the same hardware.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:57 AM   #57
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am not sure what is meant by "FEM MAX/HIGH". Like you, I first heard of this in "BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit" thread.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #58
mougwai
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by vithy View Post
Shawn, has anyone confirmed that, there is a FEM MAX/HIGH avaliable for F30? I keep comparing parts on etk, and all I see is hardware revisions/build (D5, D6, D7.1 and D7.4).

It sounds to me like FEM Max/High doesn't exist. As I have also compared the software/hw ID's of Aritaurus's and my FEM (we both share the same production month and software update recently), they both are the same. His car has Xenon's and Extended Kombi, but yet he has the same hardware.
Please see picture:

Can you see MAX letters (version D7.1) and MID (from my car) ?

Last edited by mougwai; 03-15-2014 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2014, 11:04 PM   #59
Serpent720
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Hi Vithy,
Do you have any 6WA retrofit update which can be shared?
Since my coder had tried remove the BKOMBI from VO and added the new 6WA in, but same issues as before. The retrofit is still not successful.
Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #60
asjsrs1
Rep
Drives: BMW 318D F30

Hi mougwai

I see you have done a retrofit 6wa on a f30.
Could you tell me where the EEPROM chip is on the f30 6wa as its different from all the guides?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #61
barm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 320d

Guys, thanks a lot for sharing all these info.

My cluster is on its way and it is used. Is there a manual on how should I kind of reset it before installing?? And what additional parts will I need? I understand that first of all it's most bus from head unit to cluster - what's the partnumber?

Many thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 10:46 PM   #62
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hi Serpent720, Sorry for the late response. I decided not to do it, Not really worth for me.

Have you done your retrofit? did it work? If not if you can get me your SVT_target and FA. I should be able to investigate. Further research makes me guess it's FEM hardware ID D4 and D5. New once are D6, D7.1 and D7.4. I know my hardware ID/revision is D5, if you have anything bellow D5, that might be the issue.

You can do a simple test with your SVT. Under FEM_BODY, write down all your HWAP_xxxxx's and HWEL_xxxxx's, this is just to see what is currently in. Under TAL calculation Add 6WA to your FA and using your istep shipment do a calculation. Under FEM_BODY, if your see HWAP_xxxxx and HWEL_xxxxx anything new added from the old (Actual will be blue - what you had, Target will be red - new hw ID's) , then there is a hardware difference in FEM.

If you dont know how to let me know I can check. With my FEM (D5), i dont think i need to get a new FEM to get 6WA detected. For fun, I added 322 (comfort access) to my FA, and did a calculation. My HWAP and HWEL changed. This tells me for Comfort access I need a different FEM.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent720 View Post
Hi Vithy,
Do you have any 6WA retrofit update which can be shared?
Since my coder had tried remove the BKOMBI from VO and added the new 6WA in, but same issues as before. The retrofit is still not successful.
Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #63
Serpent720
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Hi Vithy,

Thanks a lot for your information. I will try again this weekend, and will try to align the HWAP and HWEL matching the original value and retry the retrofit. Will let you know the results.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #64
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Serpent720, don't really worry about HWAP, just make sure HWEL is not changed. Cuz thats the actual hardware ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpent720 View Post
Hi Vithy,

Thanks a lot for your information. I will try again this weekend, and will try to align the HWAP and HWEL matching the original value and retry the retrofit. Will let you know the results.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #65
Terabyte
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 316d

Has car, with factory xenon light, FEM high automatically?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #66
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabyte
Has car, with factory xenon light, FEM high automatically?
Terabyte, I think FEM High has some connector pins which are missing on FEM MID, depending on the options you have.

I flashed a MY13 F30 with Xenon's and everything else exact as my MY12 F30. FEM was exactly my revision FEM MID. Compared the hardware ID's using his svt to mine also those matched. On a different F30 MY12 when we did 2TB retrofit so removed one of the connectors to run a wire to the steering and noticed it had FEM HIGH. When I compared the SVT it had comfort access.

I think since comfort access requires additional connector pins and hardware within FEM, which requires it to have FEM HIGH.

If you are planning 6WA and Xenon retrofit, your FEM Should be good.
Appreciate 0