F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lease Problem - seeking advice
Extreme Powerhouse

09-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #23
kent11202
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This is your first German car, isn't it? You've just experienced the German way. With German cars you are paying for the vehicle engineering. And people are willing to pay. Other manufacturers offer more bells and whistles, because it's necessary to get their cars sold.

German car sales are increasing, not decreasing. Don't look for pricing structures to change much.
Actually it's not my first German car, it's my second "high end" one. The last was an MBZ and there were several VW's long before that (as when I was a really young, virile, macho, strikingly handsome guy)
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #24
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
So you did this as part of the purchase of another vehicle, right? The excesses weren't gone. There was a high enough margin in the new deal that the dealer covered them out of the margin rather than pass a lower selling price on to you. You may work a deal where no cash appears to leave your pocket, but there is no free lunch.
Amen to no free lunch. New car, trade/lease end, F&I are 3 separate negotiations, often a great deal in one is offset by bad deals on the other 2.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #25
BMRGUY
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

No good deal need be offset by a bad deal... Then it's not a good deal.

What's great about math is that it does not lie. no free lunch is for suckers who don't know how to calculate or negotiate a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Amen to no free lunch. New car, trade/lease end, F&I are 3 separate negotiations, often a great deal in one is offset by bad deals on the other 2.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 11:51 PM   #26
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRGUY View Post
No good deal need be offset by a bad deal... Then it's not a good deal.

What's great about math is that it does not lie. no free lunch is for suckers who don't know how to calculate or negotiate a good deal.
My usual approach is to stick to my numbers and only accept better deals on each of the 3. My F30 deal ended up with no trade nor F&I but invoice minus MACO+training minus incentives, so it turned out OK.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #27
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
No fees. BMW periodically runs pull ahead programs. As long as you lease another BMW you can get out of your existing lease 3-6 months early. No penalty. And you can have used your entire allotment of miles. Great program
How do you find out when they're running a pull-ahead program? Do they let you know?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #28
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

This is the most bizarre question I've ever heard. And some of the advice is a bit sketchy.

Here's the cliff's notes on a lease:

1. Agree on capital cost ("sale" price of car)
2. Agree on terms (term, mileage, residual value, money factor)
3. Drive car
4. Turn in car at lease end.

The ONLY thing you're on the hook for if you stay within the terms is your monthly payment. The actual market value vs. residual value is not relevant to the discussion. The only think that's relevant is whether you made the sum total of the payments owed and that you are at or under the allowable mileage. Condition is also relevant of course.

If you fulfill your obligation from a payments standpoint that's all they will care about. I would advise against parking the car for the next year to avoid going over your mileage. Remember that there's another cost associated with holding the car - insurance. Do you really want to pay for insurance on a car that's parked?

And for future reference, as some have noted, it's completely irrational to make extra payments on a lease. There is zero benefit to be gained. The interest charges are fixed.

I personally would swallow my medicine, turn the car in, and order the car I really want...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #29
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

my opinion, just drive it and negotiate the miles over limit later. (I was 5k miles over limit on my last lease and was not charged).

Don't forget the taxes and fees for your beater could have been money you put towards the miles over limit charge.

Also stop overpaying the lease.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #30
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

This thread is so confusing.

Most of my cars were leased and some of them made through the entire lease term and some didn't.
What were you trying to accomplish by paying $140 more a month? what is done is done.

There are only 2 realistic options for you: Either sell it NOW or return it to BMW dealer.

Sell it:
you said you got a quote from Carmax already. Ok. Login to your MyBMW account and see what is the BUY IT NOW price. and compare it with the quote that you got from Carmax. If it is about the same or if you can actually get some $ back then sell it.
That is the fastest and most hassle free way right now.
You dont have to worry about the wear/tear, excess mileage fees, the monthly payments of a car that you are not going to drive and dealing with BMW dealers and unnecessary insurance cost.
Remember you can sell a leased car at ANY time during the lease term. You don't have to wait until it is over.

park and return it:

Unless the quote you received from Carmax is a lot lower than your BUY IT NOW price. I don't see the point of paying monthly payment on a leased car that is parked.
But for whatever reason you must keep it. I'd suggest you to drive it the way you drive now even the current mileage. at least you are wasting your monthly payment.

Then When the time comes to return to car, most of the dealers/sales ppl will help you with the extra wear and tear/excess mileage if you lease or buy another BMW from them. Worked for me every time. Then the dealer with deal with BMW. That is their problem, not yours.
You might even receive something in the mail or a phone call from BMW that offer you to return your car early with some kind of incentives or allowance.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #31
Domonicdave
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
So you can just pull ahead 6 months before your lease is up? What kind of fees are there?
No fees. BMW periodically runs pull ahead programs. As long as you lease another BMW you can get out of your existing lease 3-6 months early. No penalty. And you can have used your entire allotment of miles. Great program
In the past, when has BMWFS offered a pull ahead program? Does it occur near model end year (to move inventory)? Has anyone seen it occur in the winter months???
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #32
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
As long as you are within the contracted parameters when you turn in the car you walk away. There is a $350 disposition fee in your contact that you will owe if you do that. If you get a new lease with BMWFS they will waive the disposition fee. They probably will also waive it if you finance a new car with them.

If your mileage exceeds the contracted allowance you will have to pay for that.

The market value of the car is frequently less than the contracted residual value and the dealer can buy the car from BMWFS for an amount less than the residual. In those cases you may be able to negotiate with the dealer to buy the car for less than the contracted residual.
Pretty much sums the whole thing up.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #33
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domonicdave View Post
In the past, when has BMWFS offered a pull ahead program? Does it occur near model end year (to move inventory)? Has anyone seen it occur in the winter months???
They do it when there's excess inventory or they're trying to simply move more units to pad their numbers. It is often around calendar year end.
Appreciate 0