F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Best Brake Options for '07 650i?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
The_Reaper
Enlisted Member
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 08 IB M3, 07 BLK 650i & CLS500

Best Brake Options for '07 650i?

I haven't posted or look at website for a while. I tried the search but nothing conclusive, but i bought a 650i last may and i have some questions.Its at the 88,000 and service. Looks like my brakes are almost done. So i was wondering

What are the best yet reasonable priced. Brembo, Stoptec, APC. and a couple of other ones?

What kind of service do i need because its getting close to 100k?

How much does dealer charge?

And anything i should be on look out for? Car seems good, shifts into gears easily and clutch is good.

And my car doesn't have Sirus radio, can i add it without any extra parts?

Also my wheels are the cookie cutter ones, what are some of the favorite wheels for my black 6series? I really like the m6 wheels that are black, I'm worried it will look tacky because i don't have M. I hate it when people put the, IE a 323i with M badges everywhere.

Any other mods that are under 1000 dollars

Also is it worth investing in Michelin pilot sport or go for cheaper Continental ones. i bought some but seems like there almost done. I live in Seattle so it be nice to have good tires with all the rain here.

Last edited by The_Reaper; 02-18-2017 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: adding more...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Do you have the sport brakes with the blue calipers? If so you can upgrade just the rotors to a slotted set, either BMW (made by brembo) or something straight from brembo.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'm doing a lot of guessing, but this may be helpful.

at 100,000 mikes your probably looking at spark plugs, fuel filter, drive shaft flex-disc. So ask about those things. Also an underbody inspection - looking at fuel and brake lines, corrosion, suspension ball joints, bushings and rubber boots. water pump seepage and accessory drive belts, coolant hoses, battery charge.

I think for Sirius, if your car didn't come with Sirius capability (dealer will know) you'd have to add components.

Wheels are personal preference, quality wheels and tire's for a 650 are going to be pricy.

For tire's use TireRack.com to find compatible tires. Both Conti and Michelin make great tires - Michelin probably have higher consumer satisfaction ratings.

The cars Service Manual will have maintenance schedule, can order one from dealer.

Mods under $1k - can't think of any I'd do.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I've not driven on the Michelins, but comments tend to run in the direction that they are at their best in the dry, somewhat disadvantaged in the wet (relative to other hi-po tires). I've had Contis on my 228 (runflats) and my last car (non-RF) and they were great in the wet. There is a spot on my commute where they neglected to drain just a short stretch of highway (because close is apparently good enough around here) and it routinely has about 0.5-1 inch of standing water in a rain - not a problem at highway speeds. The nonRFTs also wore like iron for a performance tire - 3.5 seasons on them when I traded it in, and still not to the 'dry-only' wear bars.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
The_Reaper
Enlisted Member
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 08 IB M3, 07 BLK 650i & CLS500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I'm doing a lot of guessing, but this may be helpful.

at 100,000 mikes your probably looking at spark plugs, fuel filter, drive shaft flex-disc. So ask about those things. Also an underbody inspection - looking at fuel and brake lines, corrosion, suspension ball joints, bushings and rubber boots. water pump seepage and accessory drive belts, coolant hoses, battery charge.

I think for Sirius, if your car didn't come with Sirius capability (dealer will know) you'd have to add components.

Wheels are personal preference, quality wheels and tire's for a 650 are going to be pricy.

For tire's use TireRack.com to find compatible tires. Both Conti and Michelin make great tires - Michelin probably have higher consumer satisfaction ratings.

The cars Service Manual will have maintenance schedule, can order one from dealer.

Mods under $1k - can't think of any I'd do.
Sorry for being it back from the dead but im at 97k right now. I bought an e92 M so i don't drive it much. I want to sell it but i want to make sure car is straight for its new owner. I have had all maintenance done. but while parked in Garage it slowly dripped oil. Obviously im not gonna screw the new owner over because then im just a dick and Bmw owners are too. I took it to a shop and said oil pan was cracked. i looked myself and found that to be untrue. Took it to another shop, SO MUCH BETTER, and they said the alternator gasket, said its common problem in V8s like that 650 and x5s, quoted about a grand to fix. sucks but needed to be done.

Found wheels DPE 20x10 and 20x12 with 275 35 20 and 325 30 20 in the rear, was 2.5k and stock wheels and they look great. Im gonna see if they fit the M3 but i doubt it might try to make them work but thats a different story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I've not driven on the Michelins, but comments tend to run in the direction that they are at their best in the dry, somewhat disadvantaged in the wet (relative to other hi-po tires). I've had Contis on my 228 (runflats) and my last car (non-RF) and they were great in the wet. There is a spot on my commute where they neglected to drain just a short stretch of highway (because close is apparently good enough around here) and it routinely has about 0.5-1 inch of standing water in a rain - not a problem at highway speeds. The nonRFTs also wore like iron for a performance tire - 3.5 seasons on them when I traded it in, and still not to the 'dry-only' wear bars.
tks for the info really appreciate it
Appreciate 0