F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Problems / F30 Issues POLL.. Do you have any problems or NOT !!
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: How many Issues have you had with your F30
More than 3 issues. 120 15.42%
1 to 2 issues excl. Steering wheel Vibration 162 20.82%
Steering Wheel Vibration 46 5.91%
Very minor issues. Not worth putting up there. 146 18.77%
NO ISSUES WITH MY F30 (touchwood) 304 39.07%
Voters: 778. You may not vote on this poll

09-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #177
thebrain24
Rep
Drives: 13 335xi

I so far have a non functioning passenger seat.

My car plays music out of my iphone instead if the speakers when it feels inclined to do so.

Also i have a 335 with mppk and m exhaust yet my car doesnt even hit 300 on the sport displays...

Oh and the prerequisite limp mode on 2 occasions and 2 drivetrain malfunctions. All of this in 3000 miles..
This is my 3rd bmw. Both of the others were E46 with minimal problems.

Its going in for service on monday
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #178
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 x-drive luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberez View Post
I am still looking for the answer if it appeared by magic or there are just so many unlucky F30 owners.
Post pics
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #179
cyberez
Rep
Drives: f30 msport

I copy this pics from another forum
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #180
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberez View Post
I copy this pics from another forum
I don't see the dents you are referring to, but regardless of that, do you believe there are stresses within the framework of the hood causing the sheet metal to be developing stress lines?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #181
schtozo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sparkling bronze metallic

Couple of problems mentioned in other posts! 14k miles now
1- runflats sound horrible (embarrasing to my ears, wife doesnt hear)
2- steering column upper cover rattle
3- blower fan sound like a helicopter on highest 2 settings
4- seat bases with some superficial rust spots
5- some paint chips ( bmw cheapened the paint quality to one coat i guess)
6- one big one small curb on both rear wheels (wife)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #182
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schtozo View Post
Couple of problems mentioned in other posts! 14k miles now
1- runflats sound horrible (embarrasing to my ears, wife doesnt hear)
2- steering column upper cover rattle
3- blower fan sound like a helicopter on highest 2 settings
4- seat bases with some superficial rust spots
5- some paint chips ( bmw cheapened the paint quality to one coat i guess)
6- one big one small curb on both rear wheels (wife)
Sorry about the issues you are having. I too had rusted seat bases and BMW will replace them. I had my seats replaced the first month I had the car. However, I think the paint quality is the best on any vehicle I've seen. And curb rash and paint chips can't really be blamed on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #183
nick776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes, these dents appeared on my first F30 as well. The cause for mine was leaning on the hood in the "wrong" place while drying the car after a wash. It seems as though even modest pressure will dent these hood lines.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #184
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick776 View Post
Yes, these dents appeared on my first F30 as well. The cause for mine was leaning on the hood in the "wrong" place while drying the car after a wash. It seems as though even modest pressure will dent these hood lines.
Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #185
schtozo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sparkling bronze metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post
Sorry about the issues you are having. I too had rusted seat bases and BMW will replace them. I had my seats replaced the first month I had the car. However, I think the paint quality is the best on any vehicle I've seen. And curb rash and paint chips can't really be blamed on BMW.
Lol i know about the curb rash and rock chips! Wanted to mention... However i do feel that the paint is a very light coat compared to older bmws.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #186
elschap29
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I'm on my 2nd week with a 2013 328i. Overall, coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it's been a really exciting experience driving this car everyday, but I've had the following 3 main issues:

1.) The back left taillight popped out the second day that I had the car as I've seen posted by some others in this thread. Dealer replaced, but it took 2 days to get it back.

2.) Engine braking/downshifting. I'm on the 8spd auto, and I don't know if this is just due to my inexperience at driving a sports car, but I'm not used to the rather significant engine braking that I experience when driving the car at low speeds/city driving. It's as if the second I take my foot off the throttle, the car is automatically braking itself. Anyone know whether or not this is a normal condition that I am just oversensitive to?

3.) BT syncing with Galaxy Note 2. 80% of the time it works perfectly, but the other 20% of the time when I start the car up, I get a message that "Unable to connect to previously paired device..." The phone reports being connected and all good to go with the bmw during these times, not sure what the problem is
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #187
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elschap29 View Post

2.) Engine braking/downshifting. I'm on the 8spd auto, and I don't know if this is just due to my inexperience at driving a sports car, but I'm not used to the rather significant engine braking that I experience when driving the car at low speeds/city driving. It's as if the second I take my foot off the throttle, the car is automatically braking itself. Anyone know whether or not this is a normal condition that I am just oversensitive to?
I have this same 'phenomenon'. Only happens at low speeds, usually first or second gear. Kinda weird given the RPMS aren't really high either (<2k). It also seems to stop after the initial bite, as in you left off and the car does it's jerk thing and then give it a tiny bit of gas and let off and it will be smooth and want to coast rather than slow down. Maybe it's too smart for it's own good.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #188
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elschap29 View Post
I'm on my 2nd week with a 2013 328i. Overall, coming from a Jeep Grand Cherokee, it's been a really exciting experience driving this car everyday, but I've had the following 3 main issues:

1.) The back left taillight popped out the second day that I had the car as I've seen posted by some others in this thread. Dealer replaced, but it took 2 days to get it back.

3.) BT syncing with Galaxy Note 2. 80% of the time it works perfectly, but the other 20% of the time when I start the car up, I get a message that "Unable to connect to previously paired device..." The phone reports being connected and all good to go with the bmw during these times, not sure what the problem is
To address point #2. I also noticed this when I first got into my F30. Wasn't quite sure if it was normal and was pretty paranoid that it might be damaging something everytime I felt this intense pull from engine braking. I can't say I've gotten used to it but it doesn't seem like there's much that can be done besides not driving slow lol. Unfortunately for some of us who are constantly in urban city areas it's difficult because there are constant red lights, stop signs, crazy people crossing streets when they're not supposed to and eventually traffic. If you or anyone else can figure out how to make the transition more smooth, I'm all ears!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #189
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
To address point #2. I also noticed this when I first got into my F30. Wasn't quite sure if it was normal and was pretty paranoid that it might be damaging something everytime I felt this intense pull from engine braking. I can't say I've gotten used to it but it doesn't seem like there's much that can be done besides not driving slow lol. Unfortunately for some of us who are constantly in urban city areas it's difficult because there are constant red lights, stop signs, crazy people crossing streets when they're not supposed to and eventually traffic. If you or anyone else can figure out how to make the transition more smooth, I'm all ears!
I only find something somewhat to what you are describing in one specific situation. When my car when i am coasting down sydney opera house carpark the transmission is a little too happy to pick 1st gear. The gradient is what i would consider moderate.

If i manually select 2nd gear via the paddle there is not as much engine breaking. If i want to pick up a little more speed the auto wont select 3rd. Then i experience excessive engine braking.

It wont let me select 3rd at that speed so i have to accelerate a bit faster to trigger the shift to 3rd gear. Then it will happily coast.

I dont see this as a problem. Just more of a limitation of the auto in this specific scenario.

Othwrwise i dont feel excessive engine brakint in majoriry of driving
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #190
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
I only find something somewhat to what you are describing in one specific situation. When my car when i am coasting down sydney opera house carpark the transmission is a little too happy to pick 1st gear. The gradient is what i would consider moderate.

If i manually select 2nd gear via the paddle there is not as much engine breaking. If i want to pick up a little more speed the auto wont select 3rd. Then i experience excessive engine braking.

It wont let me select 3rd at that speed so i have to accelerate a bit faster to trigger the shift to 3rd gear. Then it will happily coast.

I dont see this as a problem. Just more of a limitation of the auto in this specific scenario.

Othwrwise i dont feel excessive engine brakint in majoriry of driving

While I can relate to the fact that shifting into 2nd does seem to make the engine braking jolts less pronounced, fact is, it's still there. I have a 6spd so for me it's a lot easier to control what gear I'm in and I do notice that lower speeds in higher gears do seem to help ease the rough dragging feel of engine braking. I guess I kinda answered my own question but I was trying to see if anyone had any alternative answers/suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #191
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

Quote:
While I can relate to the fact that shifting into 2nd does seem to make the engine braking jolts less pronounced, fact is, it's still there. I have a 6spd so for me it's a lot easier to control what gear I'm in and I do notice that lower speeds in higher gears do seem to help ease the rough dragging feel of engine braking. I guess I kinda answered my own question but I was trying to see if anyone had any alternative answers/suggestions.
Man, if i was lucky enough to be driving a manual i would be clutching in or coasting in neutral.

Maybe it is the regenerative braking kicking in? I think a motor engages somewhere in the drivetrain when the car is coasting that generates current to recharge the battery.

If you have the extended display do you see this pronounced when the fuel use indictor points to recharge mode?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #192
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Man, if i was lucky enough to be driving a manual i would be clutching in or coasting in neutral.
Haha, if only it were that easy. There's no such thing as coasting in neutral in heavy NYC traffic. Cars move a few feet at a time and if you let even the smallest of gaps in between you and the car in front you will either be cut off or honked at by the a-hole behind you. As for clutching in everytime I need to slow down, my clutch would be toast cuz I'd be clutching every few feet.

Quote:
Maybe it is the regenerative braking kicking in? I think a motor engages somewhere in the drivetrain when the car is coasting that generates current to recharge the battery.

If you have the extended display do you see this pronounced when the fuel use indictor points to recharge mode?
I actually didn't know about such a feature and even if this were so I guess it's a characteristic of the car and would be difficult if not impossible to turn off (not that anyone would want to turn it off, better a little rough engine braking than a dead battery).
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #193
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Couple thoughts - does it also do it when shifting in manual mode? How about switching to eco mode or sport +? Guessing this feeling is the lockup clutch engaging and then disengaging. I'd assume this engine braking is worse in sport mode + manual mode than eco mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #194
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Couple thoughts - does it also do it when shifting in manual mode? How about switching to eco mode or sport +? Guessing this feeling is the lockup clutch engaging and then disengaging. I'd assume this engine braking is worse in sport mode + manual mode than eco mode.

I' m in manual mode 100% of the time, probably because I have a 6MT. It seems to react the same way in any mode and again in every mode things seem to be smoother in upper gears.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #195
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I' m in manual mode 100% of the time, probably because I have a 6MT. It seems to react the same way in any mode and again in every mode things seem to be smoother in upper gears.
Haha ok, not sure why but I just assumed a AT. Interesting about the engine braking, is this your first FI car? Maybe all the drag from the turbo/compressor changes how engine braking works? I know that turbo diesels on big trucks are obviously major sources of engine braking, but on the other hand engine braking effects are much larger in compression ignition engines, so not really sure...

Also +1 to the reference to the "regen braking", which on the F30 amounts to the alternator being clutched onto the drivetrain when coming to a light stop. I don't have an F30, but I wonder how pronounced this effect is? Probably pretty significant. Have you always noticed this on your car or maybe your battery is starting to die?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #196
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

There is always going to be noticable engine braking when your in 1st or even 2nd gear and just let off the gas. I'm not sure why this is a surprise to some. I've never driven a car that would not jolt and significantly slow down at a very fast pace when letting off the gas in 1st or 2nd. This is especially true for performance oriented cars. In the case of a 6MT or an 8AT like the F30, the ratios alone would suggest this is to be expected.

Bottom line, your not really supposed to hang out in 1st gear. It's just for getting off the line. Nor should you really ever downshift into 1st while in motion unless your literally about to stall out in 2nd (MT). If you are in 1st gear at a "normal" RPM trying to stop, then you are better off just going into neutral. It's not worth the stress on the car when you are going 8mph. For the auto's, again there is no reason you should manually flip to 1st until you are at least almost completely stopped.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #197
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
There is always going to be noticable engine braking when your in 1st or even 2nd gear and just let off the gas. I'm not sure why this is a surprise to some. I've never driven a car that would not jolt and significantly slow down at a very fast pace when letting off the gas in 1st or 2nd. This is especially true for performance oriented cars. In the case of a 6MT or an 8AT like the F30, the ratios alone would suggest this is to be expected.

Bottom line, your not really supposed to hang out in 1st gear. It's just for getting off the line. Nor should you really ever downshift into 1st while in motion unless your literally about to stall out in 2nd (MT). If you are in 1st gear at a "normal" RPM trying to stop, then you are better off just going into neutral. It's not worth the stress on the car when you are going 8mph. For the auto's, again there is no reason you should manually flip to 1st until you are at least almost completely stopped.
Interesting, so you're saying the issue is it's just that the geared torque from the engine is significantly higher? Makes sense, but seems like this wouldn't be different from any other car. I would assume that the strange sensation could be the regen alternator braking, which might have some strange programmed behavior (i.e. turn on when going < 30 MPH with throttle = 0%). If you're going 33 MPH and coasting to the stop, the switch on as you get to 30 MPH might be slightly offsetting if you don't expect it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #198
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Interesting, so you're saying the issue is it's just that the geared torque from the engine is significantly higher? Makes sense, but seems like this wouldn't be different from any other car. I would assume that the strange sensation could be the regen alternator braking, which might have some strange programmed behavior (i.e. turn on when going < 30 MPH with throttle = 0%). If you're going 33 MPH and coasting to the stop, the switch on as you get to 30 MPH might be slightly offsetting if you don't expect it.
The concept isn't different from any other car, but multiple factors that differ from car to car will affect how pronounced it is, like basically every component in the transmission. You ever see somebody new to driving a manual car and they end up jolting the car like a bucking bull in 1st gear? You have to picture the mass of the car in relation to the gear it's in. If you drive first gear up to 5K RPM, and let off, all of that kinetic energy on a 3500 pound car is now bound by that same small gear which is only meant to wind up fast and get moving, not sustain high speeds. We are supposed to shift up a gear because the engine can not rev high enough to spin that gear any faster. When you don't shift, your in effect sayining to the gear, ok nevermind, you keep all this power. With that gear's potential maxxed out, if you go totally off the gas the car will slow down rapidly. And this is all a very short timeframe because like i mentioned earlier, 1st gear is really only meant to get a car moving, never for coasting. We don't see this in higher gears because the rate of acceleration is slower and the tall gears can handle the momentum of the car better.

I don't think an alternator kicking on would be involved in this equation. Yes that will sap power but this is a drivetrain concern, theoretically at 0 throttle.
Appreciate 0