F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Can't wait for my F34
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #1
carpediem24
New Member
carpediem24's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2015 Chrysler 300
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (0)

So I decided to get me a 2018 F34. Loved it since the day I saw it at my local dealers floor and test drove it. Wonder why it gets so much hatred from people.

2018 330i - Sport Line Trim (a tiny bit regretful that I didn't get the M sport package) - Alpine White with Dakota Red Interiors - Executive Package - Harmon Kardon - Apple Carplay - BSM - ACC

Anyway, tracking my car from the factory has been exciting but the wait is painful knowing I won't get my hands on it till the 1st week of February. I've been documenting every step since I placed the order. Sharing it here because...... well, just because.

Built at: Dingolfing, Germany
Order Finalized - 11/27
Order Placed - 11/28
Production Started - 12/01
Paintshop Started - 12/13
Production Complete - 12/14
Released to Carrier - 12/15
Arrived at Port - 12/27
Booked for shipment - 12/28
VIN showed up on shipping website - 01/05
Loaded on Vessel at Zeebrugge - 01/08

I plan to swap the RFTs out with non RFTs All Seasons once it gets here. Any recommendations? I'm eyeing the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. Anyone has any experience to share with these tires or if there are better ones out there? Any links to any kind of discounts is also highly appreciated if someone can share.


Last edited by carpediem24; 01-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
GoSpursGo
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
36
Posts

Drives: BMW X3/ BMW 325ti
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

So what colour/model/options did you get or do we have to wait?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
carpediem24
New Member
carpediem24's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2015 Chrysler 300
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpursGo View Post
So what colour/model/options did you get or do we have to wait?
Edited my post to include the color/model/options
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Sportstick
Colonel
Sportstick's Avatar
656
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: '15 228i and '18 330i GT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Snowbird USA!

iTrader: (0)

My newly-arrived 2018 is also white, but Beige Sensatec, with somewhat less content, but after a couple of hundred miles, I like it very much! I haven't encountered any "hate", but would attribute any to those with different needs who can only express themselves with egocentrism and childishness. The car serves a purpose extremely well!

As to tires, within the Ultra High Performance All Season category, there are some variations. We have the DWS06 currently on my wife's Audi A6, and they are great providing a quite/comfortable ride with very good handling. If you want something within the same category more performance oriented, trading off a bit of the quiet/comfort, I suggest Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. I have an earlier version of that tire on my 2 Series/Track Package/6MT car. In either case, you will also need snow tires, such as Blizzak WS80 or Michelin XIce xi3. Neither of the DWS06 nor AS3+ (nor any others in that category) will be as capable of stopping/turning as well in the winters in your area. They can handle "light" snow at most...when you can still see most of the concrete below you. (Most tires will get you going, but that is convenience...stop/turn is the life/limb saving stuff).

Congrats, good luck, and enjoy!
__________________
2018 Alpine White 330Xi GT - Stock
2015 Valencia Orange 228i 6MT Track Handling Pkg/M2 LCAs
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs
BBS SR Wheels/Michelin AS3 Tires
MPerformance Spoiler/Black Kidney Grilles/Xpel Ultimate/OptiCoat Pro
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
carpediem24
New Member
carpediem24's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2015 Chrysler 300
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
In either case, you will also need snow tires, such as Blizzak WS80 or Michelin XIce xi3. Neither of the DWS06 nor AS3+ (nor any others in that category) will be as capable of stopping/turning as well in the winters in your area. They can handle "light" snow at most...when you can still see most of the concrete below you. (Most tires will get you going, but that is convenience...stop/turn is the life/limb saving stuff).

Congrats, good luck, and enjoy!
Thanks for your reply, Sportstick,

I have a driven a FWD with AS tires and now drive a Chrysler 300 AWD with AS tires and been in MN snow for 7 years now and I've survived well. From that alone, I am hoping to be fine with just the AS and ditching Snow tires.

But if I were to indulge in that thought, I'll need space for 2 set of tires in my tiny garage. The Runflats that I have to return at the end of three years and spare AS/Summer tires when I'm using Snow tires. I really dont have the space to store them. Does BMW offer any sort of storage plans for tires? If yes, how expensive are they? Or is there an alternative that I can consider?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
980
Rep
3,561
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

My GT with AS is far better in snow, incomparably so, than every FWD I ever had with winters, going back 30 odd years.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
Sportstick
Colonel
Sportstick's Avatar
656
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: '15 228i and '18 330i GT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Snowbird USA!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem24 View Post
Thanks for your reply, Sportstick,

I have a driven a FWD with AS tires and now drive a Chrysler 300 AWD with AS tires and been in MN snow for 7 years now and I've survived well. From that alone, I am hoping to be fine with just the AS and ditching Snow tires.

But if I were to indulge in that thought, I'll need space for 2 set of tires in my tiny garage. The Runflats that I have to return at the end of three years and spare AS/Summer tires when I'm using Snow tires. I really dont have the space to store them. Does BMW offer any sort of storage plans for tires? If yes, how expensive are they? Or is there an alternative that I can consider?
Respectfully, the reason you have done well in snow is likely because you've never had to stop or turn in enough of an emergency avoidance (yes, you can be cautious, but others can unexpectedly slide into your path) to overwhelm AS tire snow/ice capability. The actual difference in capability vs winter tires is very significant. This concept is like homeowners insurance. Who needs it....until the place burns down! Anyway, my Michigan/Ohio experience gets me on a soapbox sometimes, so please excuse the preachiness.

As to convenience of how to manage this if you so decided, I am a fan of tirerack.com. They have a network of approved installers. You order the snow tires on wheels (ask for narrowest fit possible), they ship to the local installer you choose, and many of them store the off-season set (sometimes for a fee), so you just do a "NASCAR" pitstop twice a year and are always on optimal rubber.
__________________
2018 Alpine White 330Xi GT - Stock
2015 Valencia Orange 228i 6MT Track Handling Pkg/M2 LCAs
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs
BBS SR Wheels/Michelin AS3 Tires
MPerformance Spoiler/Black Kidney Grilles/Xpel Ultimate/OptiCoat Pro
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
Sportstick
Colonel
Sportstick's Avatar
656
Rep
2,301
Posts

Drives: '15 228i and '18 330i GT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Snowbird USA!

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My GT with AS is far better in snow, incomparably so, than every FWD I ever had with winters, going back 30 odd years.
Likely so, but the fact that you're emphasizing the comparison to prior FWD suggests you are primarily making your assessment on getting the car moving. My position is that, of the three basic functions, "go" is the least important versus "turn" and "stop" when considering safety and damage.

However, for getting moving, dividing the torque among four wheels is helpful to gain traction, so your observation makes sense. But, the data is clear that, for stopping and turning, you are at a disadvantage if the same car is compared on AS versus dedicated winter tires.
__________________
2018 Alpine White 330Xi GT - Stock
2015 Valencia Orange 228i 6MT Track Handling Pkg/M2 LCAs
Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs
BBS SR Wheels/Michelin AS3 Tires
MPerformance Spoiler/Black Kidney Grilles/Xpel Ultimate/OptiCoat Pro
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #9
carpediem24
New Member
carpediem24's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2015 Chrysler 300
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (0)

Don't get me wrong. I'm absolutely not denying the benefits of dedicated snow tires. And you're right about the comparison with needing insurance. So there is a definite inherent risk in saying 'I don't need snow tires' that I'm aware of.
Having said that, I'll check with tirerack and see what they have to offer.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
980
Rep
3,561
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Likely so, but the fact that you're emphasizing the comparison to prior FWD suggests you are primarily making your assessment on getting the car moving.
My assessment is based on running a ski shop for 25 years, which required me getting reliably to work, and home again, no matter what, including a ten mile drive up a mountain road to get to work, down it to go home. Judging by the OPs comments it sounds like he knows how to drive in winter, so he's probably OK. On that subject winter driving is 75% skill, only 25% vehicle. Invariably after a storm here there's a land office business towing stuck vehicles off the medians they wandered into. They pretty much all have three things in common: They're AWD SUVs, they have winter tires, and they have Massachusetts plates.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
kmenard
New Member
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: Still at the dealership
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
My assessment is based on running a ski shop for 25 years, which required me getting reliably to work, and home again, no matter what, including a ten mile drive up a mountain road to get to work, down it to go home. Judging by the OPs comments it sounds like he knows how to drive in winter, so he's probably OK. On that subject winter driving is 75% skill, only 25% vehicle. Invariably after a storm here there's a land office business towing stuck vehicles off the medians they wandered into. They pretty much all have three things in common: They're AWD SUVs, they have winter tires, and they have Massachusetts plates.
At least give me that us Massholes are better drivers than Rhode Islanders
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
980
Rep
3,561
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

We don't see SUVs with RI, or Connecticut plates, sitting in the median strips after a storm. They all ran off the road in Massachusetts.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST