F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Our Full Guide to F30 3 Series M Sport Package
Studio RSR

07-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #463
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc32000 View Post
The decision for the M Sport package was almost entirely cosmetic for me, as I'll never come close to pushing this car to its limits (even without the increased top speed limiter option due to getting x-drive package w/ all-season tires) on the roads I travel.

That said, I do like the option for the sport AT transmission, but didn't love the styling on the regular sport model. I realize that many people LOVE the sport styling, but it just doesn't grab me. I wound up dropping the extra $500 for the sport AT.

One issue that makes me a little apprehensive now that my car is in production: it appears that the M Sport in conjunction with all season tires (a must where I live) somewhat neuters the appeal of the vehicle: no top speed increase, and no lowered suspension. These don't really bother me, but it seems like I'm simply paying for a more aggressive external styling package (and paying a premium for it). What really does bother me, however, is that the 400 style wheels don't appear to come with M Sports configured with all season tires. At least on my production page on the BMW site, my car appears to have some pretty ugly 7 spoke wheels (I think they are style 396). Of the various 18" wheels, these are by far my least favorite, and I'll be a little disappointed if this is indeed what shows up at my dealership. I would much prefer any of the other line's 18" wheels over these. I suppose this is the risk of building a car before you've seen and thoroughly investigated all the available options. Of course, this is also the reason why leasing is so wonderful; I'll pick a better one next time!

In short, I might reconsider my choice for an M sport when this lease is up. I seem to be paying an awful lot of money for not many features (at least compared to a RWD M SPort with summer performance tires), and the aesthetic appeal of the M sport package is significantly diminished (at least in my eyes) if the all season tire option means I'm getting the 396 wheels by default.

Of course, I don't have my car yet, and I may wind up really liking the 396 wheels. ANyone who cares to tell me how much they love these wheels is welcome to make me feel better!
You can the 'dynamic handling' pkg, that will give you the adaptive sport suspension along with the tighter ratio steering rack, for around $1000.
That's give you a very sporty X drive 3 series.

As for the all seasons, you can swap out the OEM AS and get a better set of AS's. Being in Alaska I would think you would want a dedicated winter set, no?

I optioned for the staggered Msport 18's with summer tires.
I'll be swapping those out in early October for real UHP AS tire, non RFT.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #464
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The US 328i has smaller brakes than the ROW cars, and they have not been well reviewed at all. I want an F31, which will be heavier than the F30 and still have the same, small brakes. I know I could retro fit the ROW rotors and pads, but if BMW offers a reasonable priced multi piston option with larger still rotors, I'd prefer that. I suppose the other option would be to pirate the master cylinder, calipers, mounts and rotors from a 335i.
Yes, the 328i does have different, smaller rotors.
But from the reviews I've read, like the Laguna Seca tests, there were no complaints about either brake set. There we no comments that the 335i's brakes were any better than the 328i's.
Of course tires make the bigger difference, and I think both 3 models were on summer performance tires.

The only negatives I've read is on 3's that were tested with the AS tires, but that goes to show that tires make a big difference, more so than rotor diameter.
On my test drives of each model, the only negative I encountered is that the brake pedal makes a louder than expected "thud" when released, during busier cornering where my foot comes off the brake pedal faster to get back on throttle. Other than that brake force stopping power felt very BMW like, solid. And, there is a bit more brake travel before the bite, but once bitten they modulate more with force than pedal travel, as it should be.
My 135i has exceptional Brembo 6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears, so that's my current point of reference by which to compare.

I'm surprised that you say the brakes have not been well received, as I'm sure we've both read the same tests and reviews.
Any particular reviews/articles that led you to that conclusion?
Please post their links if you have them.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #465
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Added gallery from the F30 press launch back in February at Laguna Seca, for those who missed it:

F30 M Sport

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #466
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

SO, I though the "game" paddles were a gimmick. Apparently they come with a sportier gear box. So many damn options that come with stuff you don't want or need and that removes other stuff you really want. I thought when I picked an M-Sport, the car would be, well, sporty.

HEre is what I think the base M-Sport should come with seeing as it is perceived to be "sportier" than the basic sport line:

M-Sport Package (for drivers who love to drive)
$5500 Standard

1. All the facelift stuff on the outside and inside, etc.
2. Sport auto. Make the damn "game" paddles an option
3. Sport suspension (lower and tighter than sportline. adaptive to me is luxury)
4. Sport calibrated steering. (get rid of the VSS crap)
5. M-Sport brakes (The real ones. Get them in blue or red)
6. 19" Wheels standard (throw in the 18" wheels for free if wanted)
7. Increased speed limiter
8. M-Sport seats. (Can we at least have an M logo on the headrests? Sheesh).

I'd pay $5500 for that package.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #467
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Added gallery from the F30 press launch back in February at Laguna Seca, for those who missed it:

F30 M Sport

That is truly the sexiest steering wheel I've ever witnessed.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #468
world_traveler
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i ZSP 6-spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
Summer tires are going to give you a harder ride with a shorter tread life compared to all season tires. However, performance tires are going to give you better performance handling. Given your location, you can get by with performance tires year-round. So you need to decide if the softer, more isolated ride with all season tires is what you want. Does the dealer have a demo of each you can drive?
Also you lose the 155 mph limiter with the all seasons -- down to 130, 25 mph below US spec summer tire cars and euro spec cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #469
world_traveler
Rep

I notice that while no longer requiring premium for HIDs on the 2013s, BMW is now requiring the package for sat radio. Ugh! Is BMWNA driving this inane linked pricing strategy? The euro options list seems to be much more flexible.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #470
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by world_traveler View Post
I notice that while no longer requiring premium for HIDs on the 2013s, BMW is now requiring the package for sat radio. Ugh! Is BMWNA driving this inane linked pricing strategy? The euro options list seems to be much more flexible.
You can activate Sat radio independently. Look under "accessories" when building the 3 at bmwusa.com.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #471
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTJ View Post
You can activate Sat radio independently. Look under "accessories" when building the 3 at bmwusa.com.
Yes you can, however, you also have to get the NAV option to get the sat option.

BMW optioning really leaves one with a lot of questions.
Sat is an obvious add on to the HK upgrade.
$375 to add sat to an expensive NAV option is ridiculous as well.
I can see $200 to add Sat individually, not nearly $400!

BTW, on bmwusa the HK audio shows a 420watt amplifier.
I thought it was 600 watts in the brochure, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #472
world_traveler
Rep

Quote:
I see it listed at $375 for vehicles with navigation.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:57 PM   #473
world_traveler
Rep

I am a little dispirited by all this. On my 2006 325i I was able to order HIDs, sat radio and ZSP sport suspension as standalone options. If I read the options for the F30 correctly the Sport Line sport suspension is no different to the base sport suspension: the optional suspension is the M Adaptive which is not available on the base. To top it off you get a four banger, albeit a very strong one, but steering which I found to be less tactile and vaguer than the E90's.

At the end of the day you get a more expensive, technology laden car with a dolphin nose that doesn't connect as much with the driver. The British press seem to love it (Autocar), the Americans are underwhelmed (C&D), and I'm falling in with the latter. I need to drive a manual to really make up my mind (again, now the same price as the slushbox -- try finding a manual in a mid-Atlantic showroom, which shows where BMW's base is moving).

Bah, humbug.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #474
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
I see it listed at $375 for vehicles with navigation.
And even then my dealership wanted an additional $125 to install it, so just over $500 with tax out the door.

So I decided to get it programmed after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #475
meyer30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 94 318is

Garage List
Quote:
Also you lose the 155 mph limiter with the all seasons -- down to 130, 25 mph below US spec summer tire cars and euro spec cars.
So your saying that if I order all season tires with my m sport they dont put the 155mph speed limiter on it.....
      07-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #476
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyer30 View Post
So your saying that if I order all season tires with my m sport they dont put the 155mph speed limiter on it.....
ZAS cannot be ordered with 840
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #477
meyer30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ZAS cannot be ordered with 840
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I will have to change my order.
      07-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #478
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I am a little dispirited by all this. On my 2006 325i I was able to order HIDs, sat radio and ZSP sport suspension as standalone options. If I read the options for the F30 correctly the Sport Line sport suspension is no different to the base sport suspension: the optional suspension is the M Adaptive which is not available on the base. To top it off you get a four banger, albeit a very strong one, but steering which I found to be less tactile and vaguer than the E90's.

At the end of the day you get a more expensive, technology laden car with a dolphin nose that doesn't connect as much with the driver. The British press seem to love it (Autocar), the Americans are underwhelmed (C&D), and I'm falling in with the latter. I need to drive a manual to really make up my mind (again, now the same price as the slushbox -- try finding a manual in a mid-Atlantic showroom, which shows where BMW's base is moving).

Bah, humbug.
The F30 is far from "bah, humbug". More on that a bit later.
First, your questions.

The standard sport suspension you refer to IS the suspension in the "sport line" and "M sport". The sport suspension is only available in the sport line or Msport.

The sport suspension is different compared to the standard suspension. Sport has shorter, different rate springs, along with different dampers/shocks. Ride height is lower with the sport suspension.

Base, Luxury line and Modern line, do not get the standard sport suspension, their suspension is a standard 3 series suspension

The "Adaptive M suspension" is an altogether different setup. It uses shorter springs, as with the sport suspension, and also includes adjustable and variable dampers for driver selected damper control.
It can be set to give a firmer controlled sport type ride and control, or the other way to give a softer more comfortable ride.

YES you can get the adaptive M suspension on all 328i and 335i models. It can be added to the base, modern, luxury, sport line, and Msport.
Adaptive M suspension is part of the "dynamic handling package", which also includes variable sport steering.
Package price is $1000 for 2013 models. For 2012 adaptive and VSS were separate and cost $1200.
For $1000 you can get the adaptive M suspension along with VSS. It's not a bad cost at all.

You should also consider the sport line's sport seats, they are MUCH better than the standard seats, and add to a sportier feel as they hold you in place when cornering.
You can add the handling pkg to the sport line as well for $1000.

The steering effort becomes nearly the same as the E90 when you set the drive mode to "sport". It's lighter in "comfort" and "eco" mode.

I don't get why people insist that the F30 has been reviewed negatively, or where testers/reviewers were "underwhelmed".
Quite the opposite. Euro and N.American publications have reviewed the F30 quite positively.
The only universal negative has been about the new electric assist steering. Yes, most reviewers feel the previous generations of 3 series had better hydraulic steering systems, that gave better road feel, as well as requiring heavier steering effort.
Remember, steering effort is now adjustable. To get heaviest effort you need to set driver mode to "sport". In sport mode the heft is more like the E90, though not as heavy.

Other than that the F30 has received much praise for the new chassis rigidity, overall smoothness, handling, new N20 engine, fuel efficiency, etc...
The May 2012 C&D has a sport sedan comparo of the usual suspects, and the F30 328i comes out on top, again.
Road and Track did a comparo of nearly the same sport sedans, and they too picked the 328i on top.

Back to the issue of steering and road feel, a BIG factor in steering response, and road feel, as well as braking performance is, TIRES.
C&D mentioned this in the comparo.
The 328i sport line in the C&D comparo was wearing Pirelli P7 all season tires. Not a highly regarded performance all season, and it's lack luster braking distance demonstrates that.

The F30 brakes and their feel and performance were not criticized, as they have reviewed positively with good feel, progressive nature, and solid all around.
The negatives on braking have been about the tires part of the braking equation. The all seasons are just not that great in braking, handling, and steering feel. They ride well, but they are not up to BMW sport sedan expectations.
C&D in this comparo state that F30 3's that have summer performance tires have reviewed to have better handling, better braking, and better steering feel.

Tires are VERY important.
Unfortunately, the base, luxury, and modern lines come with all season RFT's. Sport line and Msport come with summer performance tires, but can be optioned to have all season tires.
I considered the all season tire option for my Msport, but after reading more on the all seasons BMW is using, and looking closer at the tires used in many reviews, I decided to go with the summer tires.
I will be switching to all seasons around October, but I will be using
much better ultra high performance all seasons designed more for performance rather than MPG.

As for trans choice, that is of course up to you and what you like.
From what I've read, if you've had a BMW MT and you like it, then you'll like the MT in the F30. I've had 2 MT BMW's, and I like them a lot.
I did order my 335i Msport with the sport AT after driving the sport AT several times.
Choosing AT over MT has been the trend for decades. Nothing new with the F30, except that there may be even more sport AT takers given how great it is.

It seems you may someone who appreciates the performance aspect of BMW over it's available luxuries. You don't have to check all the options boxes to get a drivers BMW.
Do yourself a favor and don't drive the base model anymore.
Test drive the sport line with MT or sport AT, and preferably with summer performance tires. Then, make sure to set drive mode to "sport".
That will give you a better feel for a sport driving 3.
If you like it but don't want to get a sport line for whatever reason, then you can get the base model with adaptive M suspension, and put on a proper set of tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #479
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I will have to change my order.
You may know this already, but if you choose all seasons with Msport, you also won't get a staggered setup with wider rears w/18's.
The all season option removes the 155mph limiter, and stays with a square tire size.

Opt for the summer performance in staggered sizing, and if you find you still need all seasons, then get a proper all season tire that's designed more for performance. And, with the staggered setup you can have all seasons with wider rears.
That's what I'm doing.
Take a look at the new Bridgestone RE970 AS, or Conti DWS.
There are a few others that rate with these. Take look at tirerack.com, great reviews and tests of "UHP" ultra high performance AS tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #480
meyer30
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
You may know this already, but if you choose all seasons with Msport, you also won't get a staggered setup with wider rears w/18's.
The all season option removes the 155mph limiter, and stays with a square tire size.

Opt for the summer performance in staggered sizing, and if you find you still need all seasons, then get a proper all season tire that's designed more for performance. And, with the staggered setup you can have all seasons with wider rears.
That's what I'm doing.
Take a look at the new Bridgestone RE970 AS, or Conti DWS.
There are a few others that rate with these. Take look at tirerack.com, great reviews and tests of "UHP" ultra high performance AS tires.
Do you know of a good winter or all season 19" tire that are runflats
      07-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #481
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Do you know of a good winter or all season 19" tire that are runflats
I don't see any on TireRacks website.

If you're going with winter/snow tires you should go to a smaller size like 17 or 18 and a narrower width.
Get a set of inexpensive wheels.
A lot of drivers do it that way.

My preference is for non RFT's, as I feel they ride better and have better grip. I stick with the standard widths or 1+ sizing, a bit wider. This isn't the best/optimal setup for driving on snow though.
I do it because in my area we can get a lot of snow, but it doesn't sit on the major streets very long as it gets cleared fairly quickly. On those days I drive very cautiously and leave lots of room. "Performance" driving on those days is not even on my mind.

If I lived in an area that was hilly, and has lots of snow that stays on the roads for longer than couple of days, I'd use winter/snow tires for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #482
rmm0031
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335  [0.00]
Quote:
If you're going with winter/snow tires you should go to a smaller size like 17 or 18 and a narrower width.
Get a set of inexpensive wheels.
A lot of drivers do it that way.
+1
Without a doubt, if going to a snow tire, downsize to an 18" or 17". Many more options to choose from.

Quote:

If I lived in an area that was hilly, and has lots of snow that stays on the roads for longer than couple of days, I'd use winter/snow tires for sure.
I run a staggered set of all seasons on my E39 and love them. However, I fit exactly into this category and run snow tires from Nov-Feb.

All Seasons + RWD + Snow + Hills + Curves = No Fun
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #483
sigfe
Rep
Drives: F30

Hey guys,

Just a quick question, does my Base - 328i fit the M Sport Package? As i notice from the pics that the exhausts are on both side while my 328i exhausts are in 1 side. Do i need to upgrade the exhaust system?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #484
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

if the exhausts are on both sides then its a 335.

and i dont think they offer the msport pieces standalone, but am not 100% sure on that.
Appreciate 0