F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > NEW RELEASE: Dinan N20 Big Turbo / Stage 4 DINANTRONICS
GetBMWParts

03-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #23
Photoman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30, 2013 E70

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Extremely interested but I have a 2012 328i RWD so I'm out of factory warranty this year.
How would the DINAN warranty work in my case?
      03-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #24
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimaxed View Post
HI

I went to your web site - I haven't seen pricing for the stage 3 or stage 4 tune for the N20. Can you give us an update ?

Is there a stage 3 tune (with intercooler) upgrade available yet ?
Electronic wastegate intercooler/turbo/tune for the N20 is not yet available. Pricing would be the same as the mechanical wastegate variant however ($1299 turbo, $951 intercooler, $2051 for the stage 4 tune assuming you arent just upgrading in which case it would just be the difference in price from current stage to new stage of tune). Stage 3 and 4 for the N20 EWG is forthcoming however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Chijner View Post
I already have the Stage 1 Dinatronics on my 428 with Electronics waste gate , Dinan Exhaust.Dinan Shockware. If I add the Big Turbo and Stage 4 and the inter cooler. How much will i Gain in Horsepower and Torque over what I already have ?? Am I gaining enough that I would notice a big difference??
Would be gaining roughly about 30 HP and 10 TRQ at peak over stage 1 but more importantly is the power spectrum is MUCH more robust and the car doesn't fall off up top with the intercooler, big turbo, and stage 4 tune. Car will feel drastically different above about 4000-4500 RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpchamp View Post
I already have Stage 1 on my '15 N20 428i GC, which is my daily driver, never tracked. Will the Stage 4/Big Turbo kit improve throttle response, low and mid range torque, etc, to improve daily street driving? Or does the new kit just focus on top end power more suitable for track use?
More suitable for track use more then anything since the vast majority of the additional power is at 4000-4500 RPM and up. There are only so many situations on the road where you get to use that for any length of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ00 View Post
would you need the Dinan tune to go with this, or would I see gains just replacing the turbo and applying a remap down the road sometime?
You don't have to get the Dinan tune and just run the turbo if you like but you would not garner any power from the setup. If anything you would just introduce lag into the setup as the torque curve is just moved to the right due to the longer time the turbo will take to spin up. You could get it and run a different tune if you like as well but the warranty wouldn't apply outside of Dinan spec either.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 05:33 PM   #25
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoman View Post
Extremely interested but I have a 2012 328i RWD so I'm out of factory warranty this year.
How would the DINAN warranty work in my case?
When outside of the factory new car warranty Dinan products have a 2 year unlimited mile product ONLY warranty. This warranty does not cover incidentals like the factory matching one does.

One way or another you have 2 years of warranty--- whether that all be the limited 2 year warranty or a mixture of both the limited warranty and the factory matching one is determined by when you purchase it. If you have new car warranty left we honor that up until it is no longer applicable to the car (4 years after or over 50k miles).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #26
E_D_H
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F31

Dinan,

I'm seeing the hardware but no DINANTRONICS past stage 1 in the F31 subcategory. Is this simply because the EWG versions are not yet ready?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:46 PM   #27
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_D_H
Dinan,

I'm seeing the hardware but no DINANTRONICS past stage 1 in the F31 subcategory. Is this simply because the EWG versions are not yet ready?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 07:55 AM   #28
WV328
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine white

This is awesome. I suppose I should go ahead and buy stage 1 lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 01:38 AM   #29
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

At what max boost level will the big turbo and stage 4 run?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #30
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
At what max boost level will the big turbo and stage 4 run?
On the mechanical wastegate it is 6.5 PSI over stock. In general the electronic wastegate variants have been a tad more forgiving so I expect the electronic wastegate stage 4/big turbo combo to be slightly higher then that.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #31
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
On the mechanical wastegate it is 6.5 PSI over stock. In general the electronic wastegate variants have been a tad more forgiving so I expect the electronic wastegate stage 4/big turbo combo to be slightly higher then that.
If i am not mistaken, the stock turbo is capable of driving that amount of boost above stock.

How much better is this flow compared to the stock turbo?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #32
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@sg
Quote:
If i am not mistaken, the stock turbo is capable of driving that amount of boost above stock.

I thought the press release said 30% greater flow over stock.
      03-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #33
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

With the release of the new Dinan Big Turbos for the F3x N20 and N55 engines the stage 4 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is now becoming available for applicable models. This stage of tune is specifically designed to optimize the top end power that comes inherently with an upgraded turbo. While in stock, and lightly tuned, configurations the engine tends to fall off rather dramatically after 5000-5500 RPM with the big turbo installed the the cars continue to make additional power all the way to red-line. This results in maximum gains of up to 84 HP and 77 lb-ft of torque.

P/N: D440-1631-ST4 - DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the F30 328i (ONLY applicable to cars equipped with a mechanical wastegate)

BMW Factory Ratings: 240 HP, 260 lb-ft torque (268 HP, 287 lb-ft Measured)

With DINANTRONICS Tuner, Dinan Exhaust, Dual Intercooler and Big Turbo: 345 HP, 336 lb-ft torque

Have you got a graph overlaying the power/torque curves for Dinan stage 1, 3 and 4.

The stage 3 says only 15hp more than stage 1 but would like to see how much broader the power curve is at the top end for both stage 3 and stage 4 compared to the stage 1 tune I have.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #34
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@sg View Post

6.5psi (or even higher) boost is possible with stock turbo at down low. But at Up top, no way just not enough flow no matter how hard it's working.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 12:32 AM   #35
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphblade@sg View Post

See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
I thought the press release said 30% greater flow over stock.
It did.

Quote:
With the release of the new Dinan Big Turbos for the F3x N20 and N55 engines the stage 4 DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner is now becoming available for applicable models. This stage of tune is specifically designed to optimize the top end power that comes inherently with an upgraded turbo. While in stock, and lightly tuned, configurations the engine tends to fall off rather dramatically after 5000-5500 RPM with the big turbo installed the the cars continue to make additional power all the way to red-line. This results in maximum gains of up to 84 HP and 77 lb-ft of torque.

P/N: D440-1631-ST4 - DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner for the F30 328i (ONLY applicable to cars equipped with a mechanical wastegate)

BMW Factory Ratings: 240 HP, 260 lb-ft torque (268 HP, 287 lb-ft Measured)

With DINANTRONICS Tuner, Dinan Exhaust, Dual Intercooler and Big Turbo: 345 HP, 336 lb-ft torque

Have you got a graph overlaying the power/torque curves for Dinan stage 1, 3 and 4.

The stage 3 says only 15hp more than stage 1 but would like to see how much broader the power curve is at the top end for both stage 3 and stage 4 compared to the stage 1 tune I have.
thanks
I'll post one up tomorrow. I don't have all the stage 3 data points handy at home.

UPDATE:
Name:  Copy of Book1.jpg
Views: 3098
Size:  210.9 KB

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 03-21-2016 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #36
Seraphblade@sg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
6.5psi (or even higher) boost is possible with stock turbo at down low. But at Up top, no way just not enough flow no matter how hard it's working.
This was the answer that I was expecting. Thanks sean.

But what I was really hoping for was some graph overlays to show the delta.

Else if purely based on power, these levels are close to higher tuned JB4s and stage 2 ECU tunes...

Can I say that the failures we are seeing with the broken pistons due to detonation are due to fail safes being removed and pushing ign advance too much?

And that running safer ign advance, while boosting higher at higher RPM would be safer?

Honestly I do not know. Any pros care to share?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #37
BXL4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Alpine White

Do these bigger turbos also come with bigger lag?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #38
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
See below.

It did.

I'll post one up tomorrow. I don't have all the stage 3 data points handy at home.

UPDATE:
Attachment 1386310
Hi Dinan Engineering

When will the stage 3 and stage 4 tunes be ready with the EWG ?

Do your graphs for stage 3 and stage 4 include the benefit of a Dinan installed exhaust ?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #39
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi Dinan Engineering

When will the stage 3 and stage 4 tunes be ready with the EWG ?

Do your graphs for stage 3 and stage 4 include the benefit of a Dinan installed exhaust ?
thanks
The graphs above include the Dinan exhaust within the mix as well albeit that doesn't really contribute a whole lot to power gains outside of a few horses at the top end.

4 cylinder EWG stage 3 and 4 are in development --- was hoping it would have been done by now but other things have shoe horned their way in front of it as we have to take advantage of development vehicles when we can get them in. Unfortunately though don have a specific date or timetable to give.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #40
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

This is on my list of things to do to the car this year. Your results are with the Factory Cat. have you done a pull with the Cat removed and one with a high flow cat installed? If so would you share those numbers?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #41
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
This is on my list of things to do to the car this year. Your results are with the Factory Cat. have you done a pull with the Cat removed and one with a high flow cat installed? If so would you share those numbers?
No tests without CAT's or with high flow CAT's. Given emissions its not something we would ever sell so we don't test for it. Needless to say it goes without saying that removing the single most restrictive element in a system will garner some decent gains, albeit with a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #42
Burnt C6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
No tests without CAT's or with high flow CAT's. Given emissions its not something we would ever sell so we don't test for it. Needless to say it goes without saying that removing the single most restrictive element in a system will garner some decent gains, albeit with a CEL.
I know everything is new coming out so not much feedback to real time use so far, but do you see any issued with the factory charge pipe set up? there have been post from the N55 motors of them not liking a lot more PSI added to them and a few of them failing. Also how well do the factory fuel injectors work. Are they just adequate to supply enough fuel if the new pump is added?

Last edited by Burnt C6; 04-14-2016 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #43
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt C6 View Post
I know everything is new coming out so not much feedback to real time use so far, but do you see any issued with the factory charge pipe set up? there have been post from the N55 motors of them not liking a lot more PSI added to them and a few of them failing. Also how well do the factory fuel injectors work. Are they just adequate to supply enough fuel if the new pump is added?
We have had a few warranty replacements of N55 charge pipes but nothing that we would deem of overwhelming concern. To my knowledge we have not seen any warranty replacements on N2x charge pipes however. Regardless, if you want to be safe an upgraded charge pipe isn't the worst upgrade you can do if you want peace of mind.

The modified fuel pump we offer does not increase the flow of fuel, it simply ensures that fuel is being adequately delivered at ALL times and the system isnt starved of fuel under extreme load conditions with low fuel reserves as the stock system has a tendency to do.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2016, 08:40 AM   #44
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The graphs above include the Dinan exhaust within the mix as well albeit that doesn't really contribute a whole lot to power gains outside of a few horses at the top end.

4 cylinder EWG stage 3 and 4 are in development --- was hoping it would have been done by now but other things have shoe horned their way in front of it as we have to take advantage of development vehicles when we can get them in. Unfortunately though don have a specific date or timetable to give.
Any updates ?
Appreciate 0