F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M Sport Performance Suspension - Labor hours
proTUNING Freaks

04-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #353
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money1 View Post
Hey guys, don't if its been asked.. is this available for the 328i? I have an Msport and looking to get this. All I've seen here is for 335. Thanks!
I don't know...I don't believe so.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #354
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money1 View Post
Hey guys, don't if its been asked.. is this available for the 328i? I have an Msport and looking to get this. All I've seen here is for 335. Thanks!
Yes, it should be BUT be careful on ordering the correct springs. If you read this thread completely, you will see that a few of the early guys that jumped on this had issues because dealers did not have all of the info on which springs to use. The kit does not include springs and need to be ordered separately based on your vehicle VIN. Total vehicle weight is key to determine correct springs. Package and options factor into which springs you should get. If you look through this thread, I posted link to BMW WebETK which you can use to determine the correct part #s based on your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #355
sk515
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i M Sport

Any one able to find this on the BMW website? I don't see this as an optional accessory anymore...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #356
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-SG View Post
Got off the phone with my BMW dealer Parts department:

Best Quote: $1,555.000 + $129.00 x 4 springs

Did you guys have to pay separately and extra for the springs?

This adds another $516.00 to the cost! I thought the entire kit would cost $1,555.00

BTW: I was quoted 7 hours labor.
WOAH, 1555 for just shock/struts ?!

on bmw parts
http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

its for 1555 but "**We INCLUDE the required Red M Performance front and rear springs with our kits! "

shipping would probably be kinda high, still your dealer is pulling a fast one
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #357
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got off the phone with my BMW dealer Parts department:

Best Quote: $1,555.000 + $129.00 x 4 springs

Did you guys have to pay separately and extra for the springs?

This adds another $516.00 to the cost! I thought the entire kit would cost $1,555.00

BTW: I was quoted 7 hours labor.
I didn't pay for springs.

7-8 hours about right...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #358
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
The M-Performance springs are Progressive rather than the M-Sport Linear Springs (although most pure track applications are linear)..and, while being somewhat similarly sprung, the coils are much thicker and, of course, the spring height is shorter. So, more or less, it still feels comfortable/compliant and very similar to the M-Sport in regular driving situations but the stack tightens much more dramatically on corners and is very noticeable when pushed to the limit compared to M-Sport. I'm loving mine so far!
Progressive for the M Perf. That is interesting.
As you said, typically track oriented springs are linear, where street sport oriented are progressive so that the springs have softer compliance over the smaller bumps. That way the initial coil travel is a softer rate and allows the tires to ride up without feeling every little bump.
Then as speeds increase and the car is heavy into the corners the spring rate gets firmer.

This bodes well for the idea of using the M Performance springs with the M adaptive dampers.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #359
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
trust me, I'm the only one here who probably tried mispairing these elements...don't.

M Performance Springs and Struts go well together.
M Sport Springs and Struts go well together.

Mix and match, and you'll get nauseous from either over or under dampening.
I may be wrong, but I believe you used the standard NON sport springs with the M Perf dampers initially.
I can see how that wouldn't work too well at all, because the 3's standard non sport suspension springs are the softest. They are longer by 15mm and about 14% softer in rate.
The M Perf dampers would make for a very under sprung and way over damped setup.

There are posts where members with sport and Msport dampers have installed after market firmer and shorter springs with good results.
The M Perf springs are not likely to be any shorter or firmer than those after market options.

According to BMW's website,
The M Perf springs are 10mm shorter than the sport/Msport springs, and they are 34% firmer.
Compared to the non sport springs, M Perf are 25mm shorter and 48% firmer.
That means the sport/Msport springs are about 14% firmer than the non sport standard springs.
*However, I should note that those specs may not be for the F30, as the info states the sport/Msport suspension is 15mm lower than standard, but for the F30 it's only 10mm.
The M Perf for the F30 is 10mm lower than the sport/Msport.

It would be good to know the M Perf actual spring rates so we can compare the directly to the aftermarket spring options.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-27-2013 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #360
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
cool...thanks. I'm starting to feel it's close to perfect then. Right now i feel the sport suspension is perfectly comfortable, but not as sporty as it could be. it's a bit soft on hard corners...the upside is it's so comfortable and balanced. if the m performance is about 10-20 stiffer than sport, it'll probably feel great , if not jarring at times, but not majority of time.
According to BMW's spec's the M Perf springs are 34% firmer compared to the sport/Msport springs.
But that BMW page doesn't state if it's describing the F30 specifically.
If you select the "shop now" button beneath the Perf suspension description an select either a 2012 or 2013 F30 it comes up with 0 results for the Perf suspension.

These specs seem to be comparing the E90 rather than the F30, because the sport/Msport suspension only lowers the car by 10mm for the F30, and I think the sport/Msport for the E90 lowered it by 15mm.
I'll have to look that up again.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #361
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I may be wrong, but I believe you used the standard NON sport springs with the M Perf dampers initially.
I used the M Sport Springs with the M Performance Struts initially.

Not a good idea

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #362
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Just ordered the M Performance Suspension Kit for my M Sport 335i!

Hope I like it, ill post pictures as soon as its installed next week.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #363
TMR-Carbon
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

guys with warrantied will be better.

Diy sometimes is not good thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #364
sk515
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i-SG
Just ordered the M Performance Suspension Kit for my M Sport 335i!

Hope I like it, ill post pictures as soon as its installed next week.
335i-SG, where did you buy your kit?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #365
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk515 View Post
335i-SG, where did you buy your kit?
Purchased from getBMWparts. I'm waiting on delivery and will post pics when I receive the box and when installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #366
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I used the M Sport Springs with the M Performance Struts initially.

Not a good idea
Yes I had gone back to read the whole part and part number debacle.
Thanks for the clarification.

Here's my take on using the M Perf springs with M adapter dampers.
It's not about being cheap and trying to save money at all.
After all, those of us with M adaptive already had a $1000 add on to get the DH pkg.

The reason why I would like the M springs and M adaptive dampers is because I want to retain the functionality of the adjustable driver modes along with the adaptive variable internal valving of the M adaptive damper.

With a standard damper it has to be tuned to work with a given spring rate and length. Typically non adjustable dampers with have both compression and rebound set to control either a heavy or light spring, so if the spring is a heavy rate then both compression and rebound will be stronger, lighter spring the other way.

The M Perf system is designed to work with that damper and spring combo, tuned to work together for the F30. I would think that BMW did try different rate springs with that damper as well as trying different valving, and then came to the conclusion that this combo gives the best performance they were looking for.

In general, an under sprung and over damped setup would be more "jarring" as the damper is exerting a greater force on the spring not allowing it to move as much as it can.
An over sprung and under damped system would tend to be more "bouncy" as the damper doesn't have enough damping force to control the spring.

With the wrong setup you had the car had the sport/Msport springs with the
M Perf damper. As you initially described you didn't mind that setup as it was greatly improved over the stock base suspension. With the correct springs now it's working as it should.

What I'm thinking of doing is not the same as that initial setup with the sport spring and M Perf damper. I'm suggesting the M Perf springs with the
M adaptive dampers. The adaptive dampers have the ability to alter their internal valving to compensate for different types of bumps and road conditions as well as varying loads on turns at different speeds.

The mode that might not work so well would be the "comfort" setting as the damper would then operate within a lighter damping force range.
But, given that the M Per springs are "progressive" it might work just fine for cruising. Progressive springs are dual rate. For lighter bumps and dips in the road the initial lighter spring rate would absorb those without giving a too bumpy ride. As bumps get bigger and as cornering loads become greater the heavier rate comes into play.

I think the M adaptive dampers should handle the M Perf springs due to the dampers ability to alter their valving.
Of course I can't be positive, and there is a potential that the setup would be over sprung and under damped. Only way to know for sure is to try it out.
Given that some of our members have used heavier rate H&R springs with their M adaptive dampers with positive results, I think using the M Perf springs will work fine and might be even better than using H&R springs.
The H&R springs tend to drop the car too much for my liking, whereas the
M Perf springs give it a perfect drop for daily driving.

Now I need to find out if BMW will sell just the M Perf springs.
Anybody know if they will?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #367
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Yes I had gone back to read the whole part and part number debacle.
Thanks for the clarification.

Here's my take on using the M Perf springs with M adapter dampers.
It's not about being cheap and trying to save money at all.
After all, those of us with M adaptive already had a $1000 add on to get the DH pkg.

The reason why I would like the M springs and M adaptive dampers is because I want to retain the functionality of the adjustable driver modes along with the adaptive variable internal valving of the M adaptive damper.

With a standard damper it has to be tuned to work with a given spring rate and length. Typically non adjustable dampers with have both compression and rebound set to control either a heavy or light spring, so if the spring is a heavy rate then both compression and rebound will be stronger, lighter spring the other way.

The M Perf system is designed to work with that damper and spring combo, tuned to work together for the F30. I would think that BMW did try different rate springs with that damper as well as trying different valving, and then came to the conclusion that this combo gives the best performance they were looking for.

In general, an under sprung and over damped setup would be more "jarring" as the damper is exerting a greater force on the spring not allowing it to move as much as it can.
An over sprung and under damped system would tend to be more "bouncy" as the damper doesn't have enough damping force to control the spring.

With the wrong setup you had the car had the sport/Msport springs with the
M Perf damper. As you initially described you didn't mind that setup as it was greatly improved over the stock base suspension. With the correct springs now it's working as it should.

What I'm thinking of doing is not the same as that initial setup with the sport spring and M Perf damper. I'm suggesting the M Perf springs with the
M adaptive dampers. The adaptive dampers have the ability to alter their internal valving to compensate for different types of bumps and road conditions as well as varying loads on turns at different speeds.

The mode that might not work so well would be the "comfort" setting as the damper would then operate within a lighter damping force range.
But, given that the M Per springs are "progressive" it might work just fine for cruising. Progressive springs are dual rate. For lighter bumps and dips in the road the initial lighter spring rate would absorb those without giving a too bumpy ride. As bumps get bigger and as cornering loads become greater the heavier rate comes into play.

I think the M adaptive dampers should handle the M Perf springs due to the dampers ability to alter their valving.
Of course I can't be positive, and there is a potential that the setup would be over sprung and under damped. Only way to know for sure is to try it out.
Given that some of our members have used heavier rate H&R springs with their M adaptive dampers with positive results, I think using the M Perf springs will work fine and might be even better than using H&R springs.
The H&R springs tend to drop the car too much for my liking, whereas the
M Perf springs give it a perfect drop for daily driving.

Now I need to find out if BMW will sell just the M Perf springs.
Anybody know if they will?
it can be sold separately for sure. it's $500 usually.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #368
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Question M Performance suspension - Part numbers?

Just received the M Performance Suspension w/ Red Springs. I have a 2013 335i M Sport Package Automatic.

1) Can some one verify for me if these are the correct part numbers?

2) For some reason the shock/struts box labels say "Retrofit Kit Sports Suspension"? Shouldn't it say M Performance Suspension?

Part numbers I received:
#33-50-2-320-981 - Retrofit Kit Sports x 1
#31-33-6-860-630 - Front Coil Spring x 2
#33-53-6-860-621 - Rear Coil Spiring x 2

See pictures below:
Attached Images

Last edited by 335i-SG; 05-17-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #369
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Just received the M Performance Suspension w/ Red Springs from "getBMWparts". I have a 2013 335i M Sport Package Automatic.

1) Can some one verify for me if these are the correct part numbers?

2) For some reason the shock/struts box labels say "Retrofit Kit Sports Suspension"? Shouldn't it say M Performance Suspension?

Part numbers I received:
#33-50-2-320-981 - Retrofit Kit Sports x 1
#31-33-6-860-630 - Front Coil Spring x 2
#33-53-6-860-621 - Rear Coil Spiring x 2

See pictures below:
Looks like you have the correct parts. I will PM PDFs from BMW WebETK confirming this against your VIN.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #370
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Looks like you have the correct parts. I will PM PDFs from BMW WebETK confirming this against your VIN.

Like you said, I put my VIN# info WebETK and looks like my parts are correct! Thanks

I can hear liquid within each Shock/Strut when you move it around. Is that normal?
Attached Images

Last edited by 335i-SG; 05-13-2013 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #371
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like you said, I put my VIN# info WebETK and looks like my parts are correct! Thanks

I can hear liquid within each Shock/Strut when you move it around. Is that normal?
Part #'s are correct, and Springs are red, so you're good.
Fluid (oil) is normal.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #372
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Part #'s are correct, and Springs are red, so you're good.
Fluid (oil) is normal.
Thats what I thought but wanted to be certain. Thanks Shivas!

I should be getting them installed by next week and will post pics.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #373
335i-SG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

7-8 hours about right...
I was able to get my BMW dealer down to 7 hours at a reduced hourly rate but they want to charge me an additional $185.00 for balance/Alignment.

I though this should be included in the 7 hours? Did you guys pay additional for alignment?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #374
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

dude, best advice anyone can give u right here - dont bother takin it to the dealer for this stuff. just find a good local shop. 25% cheaper right off the bat and theres no advantage to warranty having a dealer install it. none. dont waste the effort and money lettin them bully u around.

My 2cents