F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Tracking my 335i
GetBMWParts

05-12-2015, 12:35 AM   #67
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
A Miata would be great. My track car goals are either an e46 or e36 M3. I'd love an e46, but the price will likely be too steep. Plus the e36 is an incredibly light chassis.

When I say highly capable, I'm saying these cars (e90/f30/b8 335/S4 type cars) can hang with some incredible competition, with a few asterisks. Such as brakes for the b8, and maybe a rear LSD/oil cooling upgrade for the bimmers? This is compared with M3's or the RS5, which are pretty much track ready from the factory (of course everything has a limitation). I drove right there with some 1LE's, viper and C5 Z06 last weekend (in the intermediate run group).

I think learning how to change pads, brake fluid, wheels, coolant, oil is worth it if you want to get into this hobby. Also, installing your own bolt-ons will go a long ways towards lowering the sticker shock on mods. Helps to have a friend who can show you the ropes. Of course learning on your 50k sport sedan is a little head scratching...but learning is learning. It would of course be better to learn on a miata/e36.

We also have a second car that I can take to work, so having my S4 on jackstands for a week isn't the end of the world.
I'm hunting for a Miata. Finding a used MT looks like it's going to be more difficult than I thought. I may start to consider a used M as well. But I don't plan on trying to learn how-to maintenance on my 335.

Also my 335 is my family wagon. It can't have any downtime. One day I had to put my carseat in my Eclipse - rear facing. I'm not joking when I say I had to put the baby in the car through the hatchback opening.

But I'm not in any hurry to find another track car, so I'll just keep shopping.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:41 AM   #68
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
Not sure where in texas you are, but if you're running AutoX with NTAXS i'm assuming DFW area

The bmwcca absolutely has events - both HPDE and club racing (usually @MSR cresson, circuit of the amerias, hallett and eagles canyon every year)and an AutoX series with ~9 events a year at various venues

We also host tour's

http://lscbmwcca.org/

We're having an autoX at Mineral wells this Saturday - register and come on out - I'll be the one in the black F30 335
http://lscbmwcca.org/motorsports/aut...ross-schedule/
Interesting. I had checked the yearly event calendar for events in my area previously, but nothing popped up. I would definitely start with autox to get a feel for the 335 before taking it to the track.

Yeah, I'm in the DFW area, closer to McKinney, so unless it's Lonestar Park or Texas Motor Speedway I'm out. It's already a 2 hour round-trip to any event I go to, and that hour back after the event is brutal.

But I'll go ahead and join club.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #69
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post
I haven't had much time behind the wheel of an f30, but I can't imagine it isn't capable enough for a novice or intermediate to run 4 or 5 hpde events every year.

My e90 has 160,000, just a few upgrades and still is such a pleasure on both street and track.

The maintenance that the car needs is more due to street wear and tear rather than the track time.
That's good to know. 4-5 is probably all I could manage in a year, not including autox. I mentioned above that I'm game for finding a used M as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #70
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
I'm hunting for a Miata. Finding a used MT looks like it's going to be more difficult than I thought. I may start to consider a used M as well. But I don't plan on trying to learn how-to maintenance on my 335.
Try and find ones already modded. 07 sv Miata with msr package should be around $10k
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #71
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:

Also my 335 is my family wagon. It can't have any downtime. One day I had to put my carseat in my Eclipse - rear facing. I'm not joking when I say I had to put the baby in the car through the hatchback opening.

But I'm not in any hurry to find another track car, so I'll just keep shopping.
I've pretty much settled on eventually grabbing an e36 M3. I go into craigslist, search for "BMW M3" and then allow it to check neighboring cities. From what I've read, the car will be a 10k car to keep running, sans track mods. So if I find a decently clean one for 6k, it'll probably require 4k worth of repairs. I would guesstimate about 1-2k/yr to keep it running for 4-6 DE's per year. I'll do this likely in 2 years, and then part out some of the track mods on my S4.

I would also consider an older boxster/cayman, the price on those are pretty mid 15k ish. But I won't feel bad about pulling panels from the e36, while I probably would with an e46 or boxster.
      05-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #72
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quick question (I hope). Heading to the track this weekend (tomorrow...at 5 AM wheeee), was doing a last minute inspection of fluids and I noticed the clutch fluid appears to be super low. The reservoir is empty. I just had the car track inspected last week, so either they missed it, I've got a wicked leak, or it's fine. I picked up some brake fluid just in case, but I'm not sure what I should do.

Recommendations?

EDIT: Double checked, it's not completely empty, the fluid level is just really low.

Last edited by BmwFlooner; 05-22-2015 at 10:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #73
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Rained the whole weekend. Got maybe 3 runs in where the track was dry, but the rest it was like driving on a slip'n'slide.

But a new challenger approaches for a new track car. A 2001 Boxter S with 70k miles. I hadn't been considering a Porsche, but it's being sold buy one of the track instructors, and I wouldn't have to do any work to get it track ready.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 08:23 AM   #74
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Rained the whole weekend. Got maybe 3 runs in where the track was dry, but the rest it was like driving on a slip'n'slide.

But a new challenger approaches for a new track car. A 2001 Boxter S with 70k miles. I hadn't been considering a Porsche, but it's being sold buy one of the track instructors, and I wouldn't have to do any work to get it track ready.
+1

Brilliant handling mid engined car - takes trackdays in its stride IMHO.

Keep it away from the stealers and use Equivalent service parts and its relatively cheap to maintain.

Make sure you do your homework on oil seals, scored bores etc before buying to make sure you don't get a lemon.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #75
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I've pretty much settled on eventually grabbing an e36 M3. I go into craigslist, search for "BMW M3" and then allow it to check neighboring cities. From what I've read, the car will be a 10k car to keep running, sans track mods. So if I find a decently clean one for 6k, it'll probably require 4k worth of repairs. I would guesstimate about 1-2k/yr to keep it running for 4-6 DE's per year. I'll do this likely in 2 years, and then part out some of the track mods on my S4.

I would also consider an older boxster/cayman, the price on those are pretty mid 15k ish. But I won't feel bad about pulling panels from the e36, while I probably would with an e46 or boxster.
So, question, if you have an S4 then are layering in a 10k car and 2k/yr maintenance, would you be better off getting an F80 M3 or Vette and bundling it all together?

Or just getting better tires and brakes for an M sport F30 and hammering on it?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 09:13 PM   #76
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
So, question, if you have an S4 then are layering in a 10k car and 2k/yr maintenance, would you be better off getting an F80 M3 or Vette and bundling it all together?

It's funny, cause you always think the grass is greener with the next step up. I test drove a f82 over the weekend, and was surprised with how much floatier it was than my S4 (sways and solid end links). Even with the M dampers set to stiff. Exhaust was dead quiet. Brake feel was pretty mushy compared to my ST60's. And I was surprised but my stg 2 S4 felt peppier (although I wasn't exactly hooning on the test drive, just driving around town and some on-ramps). I also wasn't redlining the engine, but figure the S55 isn't as much of a revver as the S65.

So you figure I'd need sway bars, camber plates, exhaust, tune, at least 2 piece rotors and new pads...list goes on. Maybe coilovers, although wheel gap wasn't terrible. Wheels and some better tires (pss aren't great for the track IMO). It's a disease

The nice thing about the M is you got a dry sump and the car shouldn't have over heating problems. Plus factory active rear differential and no major driveline upgrades needed. I did dig the M HUD mode.

The vette is not really my thing, but maybe a new cobra mustang
      05-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #77
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:

NO. I have an F30 M Sport and love it but it's a street car unless you spend $$$$. Check this article I wrote on my previous F30: http://www.myapexparts.com/2013/09/2...m-a-track-day/

You'll never drive a dual duty car, especially an expensive one the way you do a track-purposed car. Well, unless you're very wealthy or careless.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #78
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
NO. I have an F30 M Sport and love it but it's a street car unless you spend $$$$. Check this article I wrote on my previous F30: http://www.myapexparts.com/2013/09/2...m-a-track-day/

You'll never drive a dual duty car, especially an expensive one the way you do a track-purposed car. Well, unless you're very wealthy or careless.
agreed in the street car unless you spend $ for the F30

EDIT: I read the article closely, seems like the only mods were wheels, R comps and kw V3... that's not at all an insane investment !

and not tracking a car you can't afford to stuff. there's hpde insurance too

drob, what does a stage 2 S4 trap in the 1/4 mile? 117ish? that's close to the M3, makes sense you didn't feel much of a difference (especially if you had DSC on in the low gears and didn't rev to redline)

Last edited by nicknaz; 05-29-2015 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #79
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
agreed in the street car unless you spend $ for the F30

and not tracking a car you can't afford to stuff. there's hpde insurance too

drob, what does a stage 2 S4 trap in the 1/4 mile? 117ish? that's close to the M3, makes sense you didn't feel much of a difference (especially if you had DSC on in the low gears and didn't rev to redline)
Yea, I unfortunately have to pay for HPDE insurance cause I can't afford to pay it off if it gets balled up

Best stg 2 S4/S5 times are around 11.9-12@115 on pump and 11.6-11.7@119 on race gas (keep in mind this is under ideal DA conditions, the S4 is very sensitive to IAT's, and the TVS1320 is not very efficient at high RPM). Buddy of mine just ran 11.53@121 just the other day in not spectacular DA. But yea, I re-read it and I believe the similarities were from not hooning on the test drive. Feels a little d-bag-ish to hammer on someone else's potential car But I'm sure an F8x with any kind of power mods would be straight nasty. But I guess my ultimate point is I'd probably end up doing mods to the M3 also

Last edited by drob23; 05-29-2015 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #80
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post

I think the only way to pull it off is to know *a lot* about wrenching on your car. Changing pads, wheels between track/street, knowing how to flush fluid...and then being able to install your own bolt-ons...and realize where the money has to go. Let others pave the way in terms of mods, and do research and ask people.

I daily my car and drive it in the winter...this year I'm doing 5 2-day HPDE's at big boy tracks...after 4 from last year. So we'll see how the car holds up. I'm ok with making a couple track focused mods at the expense of daily driving, such as running more than normal neg camber.

I think the main bifurcation in the dual use car comes in the form of safety equipment. And also running serious tires like hoosiers or low treadwear r-comps. Once you're running the car hard enough, at a high enough level...it probably makes most sense to get a HANS and cage in there. That is ultimately why the dual use car fails. But until you are in the advanced groups, I don't see using your street car as a learning tool to be bad. It's not black/white of course, many constraints including money/space/sig other/kids etc.

I will make the argument that going forward I won't be getting 335/S4 level daily drivers...just doesn't make any sense to have a car this capable while putting around to work or the mall. Would much rather invest that cash in a better track toy and then find something with good MPG for the 70 mph work commute.
      05-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #81
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I will make the argument that going forward I won't be getting 335/S4 level daily drivers...

Would much rather invest that cash in a better track toy and then find something with good MPG for the 70 mph work commute.
Lol, looks like we all want dedicated track cars
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 02:04 PM   #82
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to do it over again. On one hand I feel the 335's potential is being wasted, on the other hand it's already setup to be a great DD, and it's what I'll be driving 99.9% of the time. A dedicated track car that will see use maybe 20 days out of a year...that's the harder argument. And given my original requirements for a DD, the BMW was almost literally my only option.

But I know I wouldn't treat my DD the same as a track car the same way out on the track.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #83
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to do it over again. On one hand I feel the 335's potential is being wasted, on the other hand it's already setup to be a great DD, and it's what I'll be driving 99.9% of the time. A dedicated track car that will see use maybe 20 days out of a year...that's the harder argument. And given my original requirements for a DD, the BMW was almost literally my only option.

But I know I wouldn't treat my DD the same as a track car the same way out on the track.
And herein lies the fundamental question...do you have enough self control to dial it back on the track? I personally can contain the top speeds on the straights, but otherwise, I don't The red mist is there even for the weekend warrior lol
      05-31-2015, 12:40 PM   #84
danielleraecer
#ladydrivenamerica
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87

I have a DD 335 M Sport with a BBK. I want to use this for track + autocross until I purchase a dedicated track car, and until then, a new set of wheels and tires will be my only option.

Any recommendations for fitment?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #85
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielleraecer View Post
I have a DD 335 M Sport with a BBK. I want to use this for track + autocross until I purchase a dedicated track car, and until then, a new set of wheels and tires will be my only option.

Any recommendations for fitment?
Square setup: 17, 18X9" ET42 with 245's or 255's. Camber plates or spacers aren't necessary for this either. I used this same setup with 245 Hoosiers, which are very wide for a 245. No rubbing whatsoever.

It's an easy fit and you won't get any appreciable performance gains from trying to stuff another centimeter's width under there.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 05:53 PM   #86
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: Search over, I bought the Porsche. Will be a few months before I get to hit the track because it's Texas and it's Summer and that means don't go outside.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #87
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: Search over, I bought the Porsche. Will be a few months before I get to hit the track because it's Texas and it's Summer and that means don't go outside.
So track prepped 2001 boxer with 70k miles! Damn, that's a great move, congrats