F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i driven - multiple sources
ARMA SPEED

07-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #89
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by k44ENT View Post
Isn't the 5 series F10 / 11 double wishbone up front? I remember being an early adopter of an F10 and sold it after a few months due to the feel of the EPS. I moved to an XF with hydraulic assistance and it was lovely. I find my current F31 as good as the XF and that's praise indeed. I think the double wishbone XE setup is helping but Jaguar just seem to have a better grip on manipulating the EPS system if we believe the press. ......
Yes the F10/11 has a double-wishbone front suspension, but as I say it is another tool in the engineer's box. As we know there are other issues besides the fine tuning. The F10/11 is a heavy vehicle, weight has a big part to play in EPS feel and feedback. EPS is rated much better in the F20, less so in the F30 and even less in the F10. As they all use the same EPS technology, it is not simply the software. Much more friction and inertia to cope with as vehicle weight increases and more steering assistance is required.

Jaguar have it on record they had issues getting EPS to a level that they viewed as acceptable for the first generation XF, they've clearly set the performance bar high before adopting EPS.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #90
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
You'd be surprised Terry.

I have worked in the automotive industry for long enough to know the 'brains' are hard at work on the next model. Once a car goes into production, it is 'old' to the development team. There is also a very strong desire to not change any components. New components have to go through a very lengthy and costly validation process, so not 'worth it' if it is just a mild improvement. There is normally an underlying reason for any changes.....so those 5 bolt strut towers would most likely be to address body shell/ damper 'concerns' that have shown up.
I wonder if they've fitted a more robust steering rack to the lci. Seems a lot of people are getting rack problems lately so sounds like a common problem.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #91
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Next step is steer by wire, so no physical connection between hands and wheels. Looking forward to the banter then.
Already there I'm afraid, the Infiniti Q50 has this already.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #92
kalo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d x drive 2015 lci

The guy on the main forum who got delivery of his 340 seems to like it lots.
Appreciate 0