F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > My AW F32 440i 6MT M-PPSK 405m
proTUNING Freaks

04-05-2016, 05:31 PM   #67
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromix View Post
I believe the LED's are standard on the 440i? They were on my 340i, would assume the same on the 440i.
They weren't on our 435i in 2015....
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #68
fermion33
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 440i 6MT M-PPSK

Hey guys,

thanks for all the compliments on the new car.

I'll try to answer some questions:
  1. engine bay pictures: I'll add one I just shot with my mobile phone under difficult lighting conditions. But don't expect too much. Like any other modern car you will basically only see a large piece of plastic engine cover.
  2. interior pictures: I will try to add some in the next days.
  3. LEDs standard in Germany?: Nope. The F32 does have Xenons as standard but the adaptive LEDs had to be optioned.
  4. 440i? 435i? LCI?: I can confirm that there was no typo in the type designation. The car is a 440i. It is probably one of the first ones delivered in Germany. According to my car's VIN, the production date is March 11th 2016, Munich plant. It was known for some time, that the B58 engine that was introduced to the F3x platform with the F30 LCI would find its way to the F32 starting in March 2016, effectively replacing the 435i (which is no longer available in the german configurator). So yes, this is a 440i and not a 435i. I consciously delayed my purchase to ensure that I would get the new B58 engine. The car is not an LCI of the F32. There might have been some minor/unpublished modifications that normally happen during the production life cycle but it is definetely not the F32 LCI. To my knowledge BMW hasn't released any official information about when and if an LCI for the F32 will be introduced.
  5. M-PPSK worries: My problem can actually be reproduced at any speed at around 3000 rpms. BMW has already acknowledged that it is an issue, stating that this is the first occurence that has been reported. I'm in constant contact with my dealer (who in turn is in contact with BMW's engineers in Munich) to get it fixed and I really hope that they find a solution. To this point it seems as if a mounting issue (like insufficient clearance) can be excluded and the problem might be due to resonating oscillations () in the engine/exhaust system. All other German M-PPSK owners (all of them driving 340iA s) that I was able to contact (ok, it was only 2 of them ;-) ) do not have the issue.
  6. Why no M4?: I doubt that this question can be answered as objective as some people imply. First of all the purchasing price difference seems to vary extremely by market and this by absolute AND relative difference. To me, the difference was significant but not necessarily the most important point. What almost no one ever mentions is that it will not be over with just buying the M4. In my - unlikely very special - case, the running costs including everything (depreciation, insurance, fuel, tax, maintenance, wear parts, ...) were ~300 € per month higher for the M4 than for my 440i (to give you a point of reference: my 440i is ~150 € per month more than a for example a Golf GTI). In my case that is a 40% increase in running cost, so I don't get and never understood those "the car is barely cheaper than an M"-arguments. Of course the above calculation might yield completely different results under different boundary conditions. Were I live just too many kids buy a used M3 and find out that they can't cope with the running costs the hard way. In addition to that I had no use for the track qualities of an M and personally find its rear and front bumbers a bit too much. I might even go for the "elegant Gran Tourismo" style by having the car painted/wrapped in a more understated color, should I get tired of the rather striking alpine white in a couple of years. So I defininetely didn't want a car that looks even more aggressive than mine right now. So overall I personally, right now, prefer my 440i visually, don't need any more power, torque or track-ability and don't want to pay the in my case significant extra. Still the M4 is a marvelous machine and everyone who ownes one has a great car for sure.
  7. Do BMW engine designations give you the displacement in 1/10 of a liter: No. Not any longer. Not any more since years actually. The 340i/440i are equipped with the B58 engine which has a replacement of around 3 liters. The 35i s that are replaced by that engine also did not have 3.5 liters but also had 3.0. The 28i that gets replaced by the 30i had 2 liters as the 30i has and so on. There are engines like the 20i where it still holds but this is coincidence rather than system.
  8. Are the wheels a catalogue option: Not 100% sure I get the question. They are original BMW wheels from the M Performance product line. I'm sure they have a catalogue for those. They could however not be installed at the BMW factory in Munich and could also not be selected as an option in the configurator. The car was fitted with 19" 442m wheels and delivered to the dealer with them. The dealer then removed those and mounted the 20" 405m s that you see on the pictures (along with the other M Performance addons). The 442m s are right now at a tire shop that traded in the unused summer tires (and some additional money) in exchange for non-RFT winter tires (the Michelin Alpin PA4 were the only ones that I could find in those dimensions/speed index).
  9. Will you overdo the looks by adding much more?: Hope not. There's one small thing that is still missing which would be blacking out/wrapping the lower left and right "wings" of the front apron to match the black of the m performance stripes that you see on the side of the car (a bit like the m performance front but just without the front lip (clearance problem) and the carbon look). I promise not to do any M conversions.
Attached Images

Last edited by fermion33; 04-05-2016 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
      04-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #69
kromix
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 340i AW MSport

Garage List
2016 340i (F30)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
They weren't on our 435i in 2015....
Right neither were they on the 2015 335i.

On the 2016 340i is when they became standard, I would assume same will occur when the 440i reaches the US.

This is of course all based on US-Spec, everywhere else in the world it's different.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #70
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep

OP, we too have fully spec'd 435i (JB4 , DP) vs your fully spec'd 440i w/ MPPK, I'de driven my brothers fully spec'd M4 (CCB's) included and there is no way I'd rather have a stripped M4 vs our fully loaded 435i.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #71
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermion33 View Post
[*] Why no M4?: I doubt that this question can be answered as objective as some people imply. First of all the purchasing price difference seems to vary extremely by market and this by absolute AND relative difference. To me, the difference was significant but not necessarily the most important point. What almost no one ever mentions is that it will not be over with just buying the M4. In my - unlikely very special - case, the running costs including everything (depreciation, insurance, fuel, tax, maintenance, wear parts, ...) were ~300 € per month higher for the M4 than for my 440i (to give you a point of reference: my 440i is ~150 € per month more than a for example a Golf GTI). In my case that is a 40% increase in running cost, so I don't get and never understood those "the car is barely cheaper than an M"-arguments. Of course the above calculation might yield completely different results under different boundary conditions. Were I live just too many kids buy a used M3 and find out that they can't cope with the running costs the hard way.
Very, very well put. Many people don't consider this at all, and it's a valid (and substantial) concern.

Tell me, in Germany, what are the running costs for the first three years? You basically pay for services, everything else is covered by warranty?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #72
Amure1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Not much has changed looks like mine apart from the M Performance parts, the engine bay look a little different though.

Congrat you will love it wish I had the exhaust and HID in mine
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #73
Amure1
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testercles View Post
Those exhaust tips are glorious!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #74
Joca88
Rep
Drives: F33 Mineral weiss

Beautiful car!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 10:33 PM   #75
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Congratulations on the new ride. I hope you enjoy every minute of it. Feel free to share some interior shots as well
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #76
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

What was the sticker on this car? Please show
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #77
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Thanks for sharing and congratz, looks great and I can imagine how sweet it drives.

I can definitely get why you didn't get a M4, solid arguments.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #78
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Imports
Awesome! Can you post some pics of the interior?
Yes!!

Here in the USA i dont think ive ever even seen these seats on any car. They seem to either come with the cheap sensatec leather/vinyl and then the $ upgrade dakota leather.

I would love to have oem bmw alacantara cloth seats from the M-Sport. Oh wait. I should probably actually see a pic of them before i say that lol

Post a pic of the new engine too. Im sure a lot of people would love to see it. Maybe even with the engine beauty cover removed?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #79
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktif8 View Post
Unless they've changed this for the 440, the F32 does not have ASD. (nobody knows why!)
I have an F32, and I have ASD.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 05:05 AM   #80
facembanijung
Rep
Drives: best car

nice cars man.. !
      04-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #81
ANAKONDA
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermion33 View Post
Hey guys,

thanks for all the compliments on the new car.

I'll try to answer some questions:
  1. engine bay pictures: I'll add one I just shot with my mobile phone under difficult lighting conditions. But don't expect too much. Like any other modern car you will basically only see a large piece of plastic engine cover.
  2. interior pictures: I will try to add some in the next days.
  3. LEDs standard in Germany?: Nope. The F32 does have Xenons as standard but the adaptive LEDs had to be optioned.
  4. 440i? 435i? LCI?: I can confirm that there was no typo in the type designation. The car is a 440i. It is probably one of the first ones delivered in Germany. According to my car's VIN, the production date is March 11th 2016, Munich plant. It was known for some time, that the B58 engine that was introduced to the F3x platform with the F30 LCI would find its way to the F32 starting in March 2016, effectively replacing the 435i (which is no longer available in the german configurator). So yes, this is a 440i and not a 435i. I consciously delayed my purchase to ensure that I would get the new B58 engine. The car is not an LCI of the F32. There might have been some minor/unpublished modifications that normally happen during the production life cycle but it is definetely not the F32 LCI. To my knowledge BMW hasn't released any official information about when and if an LCI for the F32 will be introduced.
  5. M-PPSK worries: My problem can actually be reproduced at any speed at around 3000 rpms. BMW has already acknowledged that it is an issue, stating that this is the first occurence that has been reported. I'm in constant contact with my dealer (who in turn is in contact with BMW's engineers in Munich) to get it fixed and I really hope that they find a solution. To this point it seems as if a mounting issue (like insufficient clearance) can be excluded and the problem might be due to resonating oscillations () in the engine/exhaust system. All other German M-PPSK owners (all of them driving 340iA s) that I was able to contact (ok, it was only 2 of them ;-) ) do not have the issue.
  6. Why no M4?: I doubt that this question can be answered as objective as some people imply. First of all the purchasing price difference seems to vary extremely by market and this by absolute AND relative difference. To me, the difference was significant but not necessarily the most important point. What almost no one ever mentions is that it will not be over with just buying the M4. In my - unlikely very special - case, the running costs including everything (depreciation, insurance, fuel, tax, maintenance, wear parts, ...) were ~300 € per month higher for the M4 than for my 440i (to give you a point of reference: my 440i is ~150 € per month more than a for example a Golf GTI). In my case that is a 40% increase in running cost, so I don't get and never understood those "the car is barely cheaper than an M"-arguments. Of course the above calculation might yield completely different results under different boundary conditions. Were I live just too many kids buy a used M3 and find out that they can't cope with the running costs the hard way. In addition to that I had no use for the track qualities of an M and personally find its rear and front bumbers a bit too much. I might even go for the "elegant Gran Tourismo" style by having the car painted/wrapped in a more understated color, should I get tired of the rather striking alpine white in a couple of years. So I defininetely didn't want a car that looks even more aggressive than mine right now. So overall I personally, right now, prefer my 440i visually, don't need any more power, torque or track-ability and don't want to pay the in my case significant extra. Still the M4 is a marvelous machine and everyone who ownes one has a great car for sure.
  7. Do BMW engine designations give you the displacement in 1/10 of a liter: No. Not any longer. Not any more since years actually. The 340i/440i are equipped with the B58 engine which has a replacement of around 3 liters. The 35i s that are replaced by that engine also did not have 3.5 liters but also had 3.0. The 28i that gets replaced by the 30i had 2 liters as the 30i has and so on. There are engines like the 20i where it still holds but this is coincidence rather than system.
  8. Are the wheels a catalogue option: Not 100% sure I get the question. They are original BMW wheels from the M Performance product line. I'm sure they have a catalogue for those. They could however not be installed at the BMW factory in Munich and could also not be selected as an option in the configurator. The car was fitted with 19" 442m wheels and delivered to the dealer with them. The dealer then removed those and mounted the 20" 405m s that you see on the pictures (along with the other M Performance addons). The 442m s are right now at a tire shop that traded in the unused summer tires (and some additional money) in exchange for non-RFT winter tires (the Michelin Alpin PA4 were the only ones that I could find in those dimensions/speed index).
  9. Will you overdo the looks by adding much more?: Hope not. There's one small thing that is still missing which would be blacking out/wrapping the lower left and right "wings" of the front apron to match the black of the m performance stripes that you see on the side of the car (a bit like the m performance front but just without the front lip (clearance problem) and the carbon look). I promise not to do any M conversions.
did you ever get the car repaired, regarding the oscillations? i have some vibration in the right window.

Last edited by ANAKONDA; 05-04-2016 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 04:21 PM   #82
babyboss
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 640d Msport

Garage List
2012 640d  [0.00]
Excellent choice of car ..
I'm also thinkin bout getin 1 ..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 04:16 AM   #83
Rideit
Rep
Drives: Audi TT 8j

That's a sick looking car.

Did you drive the M2? Why not the M2?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 06:23 AM   #84
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
LEDs, wise choice.
Choice?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #85
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
405's
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:57 AM   #86
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is View Post
Choice?
Well, yes, they weren't standard equipment. For us it wasn't a choice, we had to have them.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 11:55 AM   #87
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Well, yes, they weren't standard equipment. For us it wasn't a choice, we had to have them.
The OP is talking about the 440. The only option for that vehicle is the LED lights...or NOT?

Last edited by DFW_M; 09-18-2016 at 08:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #88
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Stunning! (Biased on the color ) jealous of the engine! I put the 35i exhaust on my N20 and the extra sounds make me feel exactly the same! Sometimes I just start it up for no reason and let's say I've done a few miles extra just to go by some good resonating spots like tunnels/on ramps enjoy!
Appreciate 0