F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Standard suspension vs Dynamic Handling package.
proTUNING Freaks

06-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Standard suspension vs Dynamic Handling package.

I've searched the forums but can't find a definite answer to the standard suspension vs the dynamic handling package. Which one would ride better for overall compliance. The standard suspension or the dynamic handling package left on comfort.

Trying to decide which to pick for the best ride quality on bad roads.
      06-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

It's such a subjective thing but I've driven a 435 with and without dhp and I found that in comfort mode it is very compliant if that's what you care about. It smooths over imperfections very well. When I drove over railroad tracks the dhp in comfort mode was much better than the static suspension in terms of feel.

In sport mode it stiffens up very nicely and in my opinion the static suspension is between comfort and sport on the dhp setup. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
I've searched the forums but can't find a definite answer to the standard suspension vs the dynamic handling package. Which one would ride better for overall compliance. The standard suspension or the dynamic handling package left on comfort.

Trying to decide which to pick for the best ride quality on bad roads.
I think the standard suspension may be better for ride quality. The Adaptive M Suspension will drop your car 10 mm (Unless it's an xDrive) and give a sportier feel, although the dampeners with be able to change the stiffness and how well it forgives on the road bumps and handling. Don't get me wrong, the DHP is still very comfortable, but this is just my opinion after have driven the Adaptive, and having the Standard.

Standard Suspension feels very smooth to me, smoother than the Adaptive. I personally regret getting the adaptive because I wanted the feature, but I will tell you it is very comfortable, even smoother than my A6 was.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Halsifer's point about xDrive is an important distinction as my review is on 435i xDrive's with and without DHP. Almost all 435i's in Vancouver seem to be xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, what I am looking for is overall compliance and how it isolates more from nasty bumps and over brick roads.

I currently have a 2013 535i M-Sport with the 704 M-Sport suspension. Overall it drives very smooth but it's not very forgiving over brick roads and or a pavement irregularity. Seems to crash over the small stuff.

I even got rid of the Runflat tires and got Micheline pilot sport A/S 3 non Runflats. It did help a bit but not as much as I thought.

To me it seems the loaner standard suspension 328i has a much better ride quality refinement and has that nice traditional 80's and 90's German taught but supple suspension on the road with a tiny bit of float on the highway but still very agile and composed confident handling when needed.
      06-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #6
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Yes, what I am looking for is overall compliance and how it isolates more from nasty bumps and over brick roads.

I currently have a 2013 535i M-Sport with the 704 M-Sport suspension. Overall it drives very smooth but it's not very forgiving over brick roads and or a pavement irregularity. Seems to crash over the small stuff.

I even got rid of the Runflat tires and got Micheline pilot sport A/S 3 non Runflats. It did help a bit but not as much as I thought.

To me it seems the loaner standard suspension 328i has a much better ride quality refinement and has that nice traditional 80's and 90's German taught but supple suspension on the road with a tiny bit of float on the highway but still very agile and composed confident handling when needed.
I would definitely say this is something worth trying yourself. Getting an opinion on options like Auto High Beams, HK, or Top/Side view cameras could be better asked here. People can explain how often they use it, how helpful features are, and how unnecessary they seem. Don't get me wrong, it's great to still ask here, but I personally wouldn't be settled making a thousand dollar decision for comfort based on what people on a forum say, your opinion is going to matter most to yourself at the end of the day.

Since this is something that will affect you everyday and you have to ask yourself, "Am I comfortable?" I would definitely try them both if I were you, in person. You will never get a good solid answer here based on forum users, just because the crowd here is so diverse and bloated with opinions. The moment you drive both and realize how comfortable you feel in one more than the other, that will be the gold, and you can walk away satisfied knowing you will be comfortable in that car.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer
Quote:

I would definitely say this is something worth trying yourself. Getting an opinion on options like Auto High Beams, HK, or Top/Side view cameras could be better asked here. People can explain how often they use it, how helpful features are, and how unnecessary they seem. Don't get me wrong, it's great to still ask here, but I personally wouldn't be settled making a thousand dollar decision for comfort based on what people on a forum say, your opinion is going to matter most to yourself at the end of the day.

Since this is something that will affect you everyday and you have to ask yourself, "Am I comfortable?" I would definitely try them both if I were you, in person. You will never get a good solid answer here based on forum users, just because the crowd here is so diverse and bloated with opinions. The moment you drive both and realize how comfortable you feel in one more than the other, that will be the gold, and you can walk away satisfied knowing you will be comfortable in that car.
Halsifer, you're 100% correct. Gonna try them out again.

Was just wondering if there is any solid info on which one would ride softer/more compliant over all.

Wish BMW would disclose more info on the springs and shocks etc etc.
      06-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Gio72
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
It's such a subjective thing but I've driven a 435 with and without dhp and I found that in comfort mode it is very compliant if that's what you care about. It smooths over imperfections very well. When I drove over railroad tracks the dhp in comfort mode was much better than the static suspension in terms of feel.

In sport mode it stiffens up very nicely and in my opinion the static suspension is between comfort and sport on the dhp setup. Just my opinion.
That is my opinion too, even if my comparison is between RWD static M suspension and RWD adaptive M suspension. In your case, static suspension is the basic setup, not the stiffer M one, so the difference with the adaptive M suspension is higher, I guess...
Anyway, I drove my 435i DHP on track too and I appreciated its good handling.

Last edited by Gio72; 06-20-2014 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0