F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > $4000 damage not the worst part...
ARMA SPEED

07-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
ksdindy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

$4000 damage not the worst part...

So a guy hits me at extremely low speed in a parking lot and does $4k worth of damage to my 13 328i. Needless to say I was pissed - only had the car for less than 6 months. Luckily he has insurance and the car is in the shop and should have it back by early next week.

The suckiest part is driving the rental. This is my first BMW and it's also the first time I've had to drive anything else. They put me up in a brand new Nissan Maxima - a fine car by all accounts if you've never driven a BMW. I never realized how quickly you can become spoiled by the ultimate driving machine. Had to take a day trip to Chicago yesterday. It was a miserable 3.5 hour drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

6 months in a 328i and you can't handle a week in a brand new rental car? Sorry but I think you are giving your car more credit than is due. I am *not* particularly impressed by Nissan's, and I love my car, but really I think you'll be alright.

I'm currently driving a Jetta station wagon while my 328i is getting some repairs, and frankly I'm enjoying it. Even better, I bet I'll appreciate my car that much more when I get it back.

Last edited by simongym; 07-07-2014 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: missed word
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
jair_onsa
jairon2
Rep
Drives: vt1-445 z4 MC- 14 335i M Sport

Even if it's a brand new car, rentals come with just the basic equipment. If you drive a fully equipped luxury sedan even for as little as 6 months, the difference would be pretty noticeable, specially during long trips. It's not a life or death situation, just not as comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by simongym View Post
6 months in a 328i and you can't handle a week in a brand new rental car? Sorry but I think you are giving your car more credit than is due. I am particularly impressed by Nissan's, and I love my car, but really I think you'll be alright.

I'm currently driving a Jetta station wagon while my 328i is getting some repairs, and frankly I'm enjoying it. Even better, I bet I'll appreciate my car that much more when I get it back.
I had a Maxima rental while my M3 was in the shop a couple years ago, and I was particularly unimpressed.
      07-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

While my x5 was being repair at a bmw certified repair shop whoch was owned by acura next door. They let me drive a brand new tl or a mdx for a month
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I had a Maxima rental while my M3 was in the shop a couple years ago, and I was particularly unimpressed.
A fair point, but as mentioned I'm sure that made getting your M3 back that much more of an appreciation.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
jair_onsa
jairon2
Rep

Quote:
A fair point, but as mentioned I'm sure that made getting your M3 back that much more of an appreciation.
Not really getting your point here, first you tell the OP he's giving his car more credit than it deserves and now it's ok to get a rental so you can appreciate your car more?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jair_onsa View Post
Not really getting your point here, first you tell the OP he's giving his car more credit than it deserves and now it's ok to get a rental so you can appreciate your car more?
Sorry I can expound more, although I will first point out that my seemingly contradictory points are a result of my consistent attempts to take look at all sides of an argument and situation to the greatest extent possible.

I DO think that some people over-value their BMW and it's inherent qualities, although I was not implying that the OP definitively fits that category, simply that he might. What I mean by over-value, is that I do not believe a BMW is automatically special or necessarily better than all other cars. There are many great cars out there, and not all of them are BMWs. Granted, as I mentioned, that I am not a fan of Nissans so I am not shocked that the OP is less than thrilled with the rental.

All of that being said, I think approaching a rental car with the attitude to take it for what it is, and to also see the good amongst the bad, is the right approach. I greatly prefer my 328i over my current rental car, a perfectly adequate and capable Jetta wagon. BUT, there are a few aspects of the car that are BETTER than those same things on mine. If you can't switch from a BMW to a rental and at least appreciate some aspects of the borrowed car, then I will question your driving enthusiasm and arrogance. To me, it's the same attitude as those BMW 3/4 series owners who constantly have some complaint about how awful it is that something is not perfectly to their likely on their "$50,000+" car. To which I always respond that not only can a 3/4 series be had for far less than 50-grand, but to think that 50-grand is some magical threshold after which all cars must be perfect, is ludicrous.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jair_onsa View Post
Also, at no point did I say "it's ok to get a rental", obviously nothing the OP did involved any intent to get a rental. Just as I did not intend to be driving a rental right now.

If he's paying for his rental that may add to the difference in our attitudes about the experience, among other factors, since I have rental coverage through my insurance.

I also frequently drive my wife's very basic Accord. Just like in the Jetta, there are actually some aspects of her car that I prefer to mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

How could anything be worse than ECO PRO (or the mileage in any other driving mode)?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:42 AM   #11
jair_onsa
jairon2
Rep

Quote:
Also, at no point did I say "it's ok to get a rental", obviously nothing the OP did involved any intent to get a rental. Just as I did not intend to be driving a rental right now.

If he's paying for his rental that may add to the difference in our attitudes about the experience, among other factors, since I have rental coverage through my insurance.

I also frequently drive my wife's very basic Accord. Just like in the Jetta, there are actually some aspects of her car that I prefer to mine.
Ok, I think I know what you are trying to say. My first comment to you was based on the fact that you seemed to be telling the OP simply put to get over the fact that he has a rental. My perspective on this and Im sure what the OP is trying to accomplish is simply to vent his frustration which is, first, that what happened wasn't his fault and second, he now has to drive a vehicle with lower quality. We all know he'll be ok but who wants to drive a rental when you have a BMW???
Im with you when it comes to people being too fanatic about bmw but what do you expect? After all you are on a bmw forum
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Hi OP, sorry to hear about your accident and hope you get your car back soon.

I am also vacationing in Chicago and drove from NJ in our X5d. We averaged 28mpg driving around 70mph the whole trip. I am curious to know what your mpg was like in the maxima. I used to own a G37 and I doubt the car could get 28mpg at the same speed.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #13
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

When my car was in for repair I decided to take the nissan over another 3 series. After a week in the Nissan I like my BMW even more. It had its charms but it was maybe half the car the bimmer is.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
syuan92
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I could have sworn the Nissan Maxima is a fairly decent car... I always thought of it was a luxury sedan. It's the Toyota Avalon of Nissan and with a starting price of $31,000, the car should be pretty good. Not too sure how one can have a bad experience driving a $30,000+ car... Is 290 horsepower not enough? Or was the car the bottom-line base model so it had basically nothing besides the V6 with no tech? The Maxima beats the 328i in HP, Torque, and 0-60 so unless the steering and handling was really that bad, or the seat comfort was poor... then I guess that could make a long drive unenjoyable in a brand new car...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Bmwman325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG CR 335 XI 6SP

hmmm, so the worst part is the rental car you're stuck with and not the fact that your car will most likely have an accident on its carfax and is now worth less?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwman325 View Post
hmmm, so the worst part is the rental car you're stuck with and not the fact that your car will most likely have an accident on its carfax and is now worth less?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #17
ksdindy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by syuan92 View Post
I could have sworn the Nissan Maxima is a fairly decent car... I always thought of it was a luxury sedan. It's the Toyota Avalon of Nissan and with a starting price of $31,000, the car should be pretty good. Not too sure how one can have a bad experience driving a $30,000+ car... Is 290 horsepower not enough? Or was the car the bottom-line base model so it had basically nothing besides the V6 with no tech? The Maxima beats the 328i in HP, Torque, and 0-60 so unless the steering and handling was really that bad, or the seat comfort was poor... then I guess that could make a long drive unenjoyable in a brand new car...
The horsepower is pretty good, but the engine seems to rev much louder than the BMW. Although the RPMs stay low on rapid acceleration, the sound lends you to believe it's laboring heavily. My biggest complaint is the steering. It feels as though you are constantly battling a 50 mph crosswind. Very strange. It could very well be a problem with this particular car and not necessarily indicative of the model as a whole.

Everything else can certainly be chalked up to having a base model without all the bells and whistles that I'm accustomed to and I'm obviously willing to forgive on those points.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #18
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

Lol tell me about it, I got rear end-sandwiched in my C63 and it took them around 35 days to clear everything with insurance and repair my car. I was in a Maxima for the entire time, but I didn't feel it was that bad of a car.
      07-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #19
NOBLE MOTORCARS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i (ON A BOAT)

Garage List
Quote:
6 months in a 328i and you can't handle a week in a brand new rental car? Sorry but I think you are giving your car more credit than is due. I am particularly impressed by Nissan's, and I love my car, but really I think you'll be alright.

Quote:
You, sir, are a noob. Let the man live his life. There nothing wrong with giving his car credit and him appreciating the car he has.. No where did he say that his car was a lamborghini. I'd miss my car too if I was put into any type of peasant loaner.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Thats a pretty nice loaner.

Twice I was put into a Chevy Spark until I told them I needed a similar vehicle for work. Then they upgraded me to a Chrysler 200. Once I had a Ford Fusion.

I couldn't wait to get my car back from the moment I drove the loaner off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #21
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup o' Joe View Post
Thats a pretty nice loaner.

Twice I was put into a Chevy Spark until I told them I needed a similar vehicle for work. Then they upgraded me to a Chrysler 200. Once I had a Ford Fusion.

I couldn't wait to get my car back from the moment I drove the loaner off the lot.
I did get a Dodge Challenger once. It was fun for a minute. My friend is coming to visit next weekend in her brand new Maxima. I will check it out as the last one I drove was around 2010.
      07-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #22
RW Carbon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 & F87 M2

Just be happy they didn't stick you in a chrysler 200 or a Mustang V6 convertible like last time I had my car serviced...talk about junk.

Carbon fiber for the everyday driver: rwcarbon.com
3941 E La Palma Ave Anaheim CA, 92870
info@rwcarbon.com / (714) 328-4406
Instagram/Tiktok/Facebook: @rwcarbon
Appreciate 0