F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 428i GC Engine Fail in less than two weeks!
proTUNING Freaks

07-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Thamer
Lieutenant
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & E60 M5 & F55 Mini

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [9.00]
428i GC Engine Fail in less than two weeks!

Hey guys!
So I had an e92 then had a GTI along with an f30 and I just got a brand new 2015 428i GC when I moved to the middle east. Got it brand new on 7/2/2015 and on the 12th day, it had 1100 km (680 miles), it just stopped suddenly!! "Ignition error" was the message, tried to start the car but it wouldn't start, kinda like if you had a dead battery, called BMW services and they towed the car to the dealership!

Next day, they told me they did not find anything wrong with the car, all systems are OK and the computer states no faults. However, the car still would not start! They had to close for holidays and they open tomorrow and they will confirm what's wrong with it! Last thing they told me, "we might have to replace the engine"!

I googled around and I couldn't find anyone who experienced the same problem as I! I'm so mad and disappointed, I paid for this car cash in full and it broke down in less than two weeks and now they are telling me they might have to change the engine! If that is the case, I'm going after them to replace the car and give me a new one and will contact BMW of Germany.

Advices please ? Anyone experienced the same problem ?

Thanks guys!

Current: F80 M3, E60 M5, F55 Mini Cooper, VW Touareg.
Previous: E92 328i, F30 328i, VW GTI, F36 428i, E85 Z4.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #2
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

My advice would be to calm down about the situation. What kind of dealer tells you they don't know what's wrong but they might have to replace the engine. I go to the doctor and tell him my left shoulder hurts. "You look fine but might have to do a heart transplant. " You'd accept that diagnosis?

Wait until they diagnose the problem. No loaner car while you wait?

You can complain to BMW AG but they'll send you right back to your country rep....unless you live in Germany
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
cmonter3323
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i GC

I just had a drivetrain malfunction yesterday morning on my 428i GC! on saturday my car was stuttering as i was driving, pressed the gas, no response, happened twice on my way home, felt like a loss of power. now i turn on my car yesterday and it read DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION please take your car to a nearest service center. the car felt as if it had no power and i barely made it to the dealer! this is ridiculous, my car only has 10k miles!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Fuel pump failure?
      07-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonter3323 View Post
I just had a drivetrain malfunction yesterday morning on my 428i GC! on saturday my car was stuttering as i was driving, pressed the gas, no response, happened twice on my way home, felt like a loss of power. now i turn on my car yesterday and it read DRIVETRAIN MALFUNCTION please take your car to a nearest service center. the car felt as if it had no power and i barely made it to the dealer! this is ridiculous, my car only has 10k miles!
That's certainly not something I'd be happy to experience but what about the Porche 918 that caught fire while the owner was filling it up?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-station.html

Porche initially tried to blame the driver for spilling a bit of fuel but eventually had to replace the almost $1,000,000 super car, of which there are only 917 left. Porche, a brand with a higher reliability score than Lexus, catching fire because someone forgot that hot exhaust pipes and gasoline just don't mix.

As terrible as that was, how about the 911 GT3 that Porche had to tell owners not to drive why they figured out why so many of them caught fire. Brand new 911 GT3? $130,000.

Sure, you expect a lot from a car that costs 50k. But you sure as hell don't expect a million dollar super car to go up in flames because of a fuel spill during a fillup.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Pretty sure the OP doesn't give a damn about the other cars..HIS new 2wk old ride is down.....
      07-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #7
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

If you are in the USA, call BMW NA and tell them the current situation. They will follow up with the dealership and find out what the current situation is. Most likely they will ask you what you really want and then just tell them you want a new car. But as menncars said calm down, BMW NA will settle everything and make things right.

I had 2 issues, 1 resolved and 1 not resolved which are similar to both cmonter3323 and yourself. The second issue is not resolved is because it only happens when the weather is cold. The first issue which they fixed and traced back to the transmission thermostat oil cooler. Yeah didn't know that existed lol. Well they said that failed and it would cause the engine to loose power and the radiator fan to blast and the transmission to rev unusually. Luckily they fixed it and BMW NA offered me an good benefit extension package of warranty and maintenance. The second issue which has yet to be fixed but happened twice and the dealership couldn't replicate it was when the weather was cold, I would start the engine and normally it revs around 1k and then drops and settles at about 680 rpm. On this two occasions it would rev around 1k then drop fast to around 400 rpm then surge up to 1300 rpm and then on the second occasion stutter and actually died on me. Luckily I started it up and it worked fine. I still need to replicate it or prove to the dealership that this happens.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
Thamer
Lieutenant
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & E60 M5 & F55 Mini

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [9.00]
Thanks guys! I am calm haha. They did give me a loaner, 520, I'm just mad because it has never happened to me before! Anyway, I contacted to the dealership today, they told me it is the engine bearing that has failed and there is no reason for it to fail this soon! So they are thinking it is a manufacture defect, they have contacted BMW in Germany to send a new engine but that will take three weeks to get here. I'm calling BMW of middle east tomorrow morning to let them know of the situation and to ask for a new car.

Thanks guys!

Current: F80 M3, E60 M5, F55 Mini Cooper, VW Touareg.
Previous: E92 328i, F30 328i, VW GTI, F36 428i, E85 Z4.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Sorry to hear that OP, since the car is still under warranty im sure they will fix it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamer View Post
Thanks guys! I am calm haha. They did give me a loaner, 520, I'm just mad because it has never happened to me before! Anyway, I contacted to the dealership today, they told me it is the engine bearing that has failed and there is no reason for it to fail this soon! So they are thinking it is a manufacture defect, they have contacted BMW in Germany to send a new engine but that will take three weeks to get here. I'm calling BMW of middle east tomorrow morning to let them know of the situation and to ask for a new car.

Thanks guys!
Well that certainly does suck.
This won't help or make you feel better, but what you just experienced is not common at all with BMW or any other manufacturer for that matter.
Huge mechanical failures can happen, and as you see, do.
The true test is BMW correcting the problem as quickly as they can and hopefully compensate you for how long it will take to do so, mainly because of how new your car is.

If they replace with a whole new car that would be great.
But if they don't don't sweat it. Once the new engine is put in it will still be new, barring the tech/s screwing something up badly.

Is there any thing similar to the "lemon laws" we have here in the US over there in your area?

I wish you and your BMW well, and a speedy, properly corrected recovery.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2015, 02:12 AM   #11
M Heart
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I do know of another 428i GC which had the same engine failure/replaced just like your car while it was still at a dealership's inventory. It had ~200 miles on it and the same problem happen during a test drive, as far as I know. This was about a year ago.
Appreciate 0