F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Valvetronic Disabled to Frequent Verstellfehler
Extreme Powerhouse

05-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
DBJohnny
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport

Valvetronic Disabled to Frequent Verstellfehler

Hi all, I have a 2012 f30 335i. The car is fairly new to me and I've come from an Audi so I'm a little unfamiliar with some of these systems.

My car has had a drive train malfunction warning come up 3 times in about 5 days now. All of these times have been under moderate acceleration in comfort and sport mode. When it happens the car has no boost, sluggish performance and the exhaust is louder than normal and sounds flat. When the key is re cycled the warning goes away. I have one code that will not clear:

133e10
Valvetronic system: disabled to frequent Verstellfehler

I've been searching around the forums and I cant seem to find a real clear answer as to what this could be. Some people say it may need an update others say the valvetronic motor is shot. The car has a stock tune to my knowledge although I bought it used with 88k miles. Any insight is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Have you read this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212445
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #3
DBJohnny
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport

I have seen that, however I don't have the clicking sound everyone talks about before start up.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
Drastaa
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2012, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJohnny View Post
Hi all, I have a 2012 f30 335i. The car is fairly new to me and I've come from an Audi so I'm a little unfamiliar with some of these systems.

My car has had a drive train malfunction warning come up 3 times in about 5 days now. All of these times have been under moderate acceleration in comfort and sport mode. When it happens the car has no boost, sluggish performance and the exhaust is louder than normal and sounds flat. When the key is re cycled the warning goes away. I have one code that will not clear:

133e10

I've been searching around the forums and I cant seem to find a real clear answer as to what this could be. Some people say it may need an update others say the valvetronic motor is shot. The car has a stock tune to my knowledge although I bought it used with 88k miles. Any insight is appreciated.
Hello there,

I've got a pretty much the same car as you got there since this years March. A few weeks into the car I also got a drivetrain message, got pretty much scared, parked the car outside the house and the next morning, to my surprise, it was gone. Then it happened again, turned off the engine, started it again and poof, gone. And for the third time it happened on highway, stopped at gas station, smoked a cigarette, poof, gone - So I went to the dealership (I had the same err. as you do 133E10)

Talked to the mechanic and he told me that it is pretty common at my milage (87k) when the car was abused in the past. He said the Valvetronic kinda wears-out and in the early stages isn't really hurtful but later on if there is no action taken to fix this issue it can just destroy the engine. So he recommended me to replace the Valvetronic with its eccentric shaft.

My car is at the dealership at the moment and I should get it back on Friday. the bill should be around $1850 for the whole Valvetronic system (work incl.)

Last edited by Drastaa; 05-08-2018 at 07:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
schwandt1023
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport

Wow! $1850. I'm coming up with the same fault code with symptoms alot like what OP described. Did you shop around or just head to the dealership for it? Did replacing the valvetronic and e-shaft resolve all issues? Could you have just done the valvetronic or e-shaft, or was it something where both had to be done at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwandt1023 View Post
Wow! $1850. I'm coming up with the same fault code with symptoms alot like what OP described. Did you shop around or just head to the dealership for it? Did replacing the valvetronic and e-shaft resolve all issues? Could you have just done the valvetronic or e-shaft, or was it something where both had to be done at the same time?
Here's an idea of the work.

https://bmwtechnician.com/2017/03/27...etronic-motor/

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 05:36 PM   #7
bimmerace
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:

133e10

Did you figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
Olivamex
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerace View Post
Quote:

133e10

Did you figure this out?
Hi,

Any idea of how to resolve or clear that code

133e10
Valvetronic system: disabled to frequent Verstellfehler ???
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #9
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivamex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerace View Post
Quote:

133e10

Did you figure this out?
Hi,

Any idea of how to resolve or clear that code

133e10
Valvetronic system: disabled to frequent Verstellfehler ???
I have had the code pop up and not go away until I used ISTA to do a valvetronic relearn where it cycles the eccentric shaft to max and min lift over 200 times. After that the code cleared and had not come back. So I recommend trying that first since replacing the valvetronic motor and shaft is about 1200 in parts alone.

I was going to try just replacing the valvetronic motor first as some have got away with doing that and not swapping the eccentric shaft itself which is the expensive time consuming part of the job.

FCP euro has a valvetronic motor replacement kit for like $300 that comes with everything to replace the motor which includes valve cover gasket and injector seals. I had bought that but just returned it a few days ago because like I said earlier using ISTA performing the relearn had fixed my problem. Well at least fixed for now. Good luck man.
Appreciate 0