F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Do I have to get my f30 waxed? detailed? clay bar-ed?
Studio RSR

05-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carconvert View Post
Oh, I read somewhere that if something was ever caught in the brush it would get dragged all over your car as it washed it

My car is black sapphire ... I bought Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax
A) never use any car wash. Always do it by hand
B) sell that crap and buy real product (Klasse/Zaino/Griots/etc)
C) if waxing every 6-8 weeks seems tedious (carnuba will not last as long as a poly)............. try using a quality sealant instead of wax (Zaino is a PITA to put on but last 4-5 months).

*Yes, a sealant won't shine as nice as a Carnuba (especially on a back car), neither will poly wax for that matter....... you need to make a choice -> max shine? if so, you're slapping on Carnuba every 6 weeks . If you're more flexible on the level of shine then you can explore using a poly or a sealant.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnewbie View Post
The BMW dealership will wash your car if you bring it in where I live. I was wondering if this is a good idea or not? Besides the obvious time in waiting.
The dealer is the last place I want my car washed.
I always put large signs saying "DO NOT WASH" when a car has to go in.
they are not in the washing business, they just want teh car out as fast as possible and scratch them to shreds
      05-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
BonanzaNLD
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: waiting for...328i (F30)

I suggest to do the following:

1) Wash
2) Clay
3) Polish
4) Glaze
5) Wax

Number (3) and (4) you can leave out if it's too much of a hassle. Only the ignorant will advise you to stick with a normal "wash". Not only will your car shine like never before, it will also be easier to clean the next 3 months.

And, for me... it's also a moment of Zen: wax onnnn, wax offff...
      05-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #26
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Do we do this when we pick up the car or after the first four months???
I would do it maybe 2 weeks after you get it, there will be grime, grit and overspary on the car, wash it, then use a quick detailer and clay bar, then way it. should take you 45min for the wash, 2 hours for the clay, and 2 hours for the wax, but well worth it imo.

and most dealers have a cheap ass auto wash they drive the cars through.
      05-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #27
carconvert
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
If you wax your car, then don't send it through a touch less car wash afterwards. Don't send it through any car wash, in fact. The strength of the soap and pressure of the spray is so powerful, if will strip the wax off your car. Hand wash only, if you care about the finish on your car. No dish washing soap either.
handwash only!?!?! what about in the winter when there's salt on the road?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #28
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
wash, then clay, then wax.
bush league lol

actually it's

wash, then clay, THEN POLISH, then wax...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #29
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
handwash only!?!?! what about in the winter when there's salt on the road?
Get some Optimum no Rinse.... It's great. All the Detailtards on Autopia use it... good stuff..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Carconvert: PM me for info. If you're not into going crazy detailing, then your best bet is to get a reputable Detailer corrective polish, then Opti-Coat it. Opti-Coat is like a second clear cote. It literally lasts over 3 years, and is not the crap that dealers try to sell you on. Guys on Autopia have even poured muriatic acid on it, and it still stood. Once it's on, you basically just wash the car.. that's it. Even after a rainstorm it's shiny as hell.

I'm in the GTA as well. I had it done by Bryan from Concours Touch detailing. He charged $350 to do the paint correction and the opti-coat. The guy did an amazing job.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #31
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys recommend people when they have no option of washing their car by hand by themselves?

Sure, they can go to detailers but then it might be either a cheap and fast crappy job, or a more professional detailer which will also cost you much more.

I still have the possibility to wash by hand but that might be over soon and I know someone else has this same problem as well.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnewbie
The BMW dealership will wash your car if you bring it in where I live. I was wondering if this is a good idea or not? Besides the obvious time in waiting.
those car washes are half assed. Not even worth it. they will not get all of the dirt and will definitely not get the bugs off. You will also get swirl marked to death.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #33
gnosis8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonanzaNLD View Post
I suggest to do the following:

1) Wash
2) Clay
3) Polish
4) Glaze
5) Wax
Just reading that makes my back hurt.
      05-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys recommend people when they have no option of washing their car by hand by themselves?

Sure, they can go to detailers but then it might be either a cheap and fast crappy job, or a more professional detailer which will also cost you much more.

I still have the possibility to wash by hand but that might be over soon and I know someone else has this same problem as well.
is it access to water thats the issue? or time?

If it's the former, you can use Optimum No Rinse and the 2 bucket method. works great, and you're only using like 5 gal of water.

If it's time, then go for the Opti-coat that i mentioned previously and use a touchless or do-it-yourself wash to rinse it every now and again.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #35
gnosis8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i

Garage List
Quote:
You know those school kids that do fund-raiser car washes every now and then? Jackpot.
      05-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #36
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
is it access to water thats the issue? or time?

If it's the former, you can use Optimum No Rinse and the 2 bucket method. works great, and you're only using like 5 gal of water.

If it's time, then go for the Opti-coat that i mentioned previously and use a touchless or do-it-yourself wash to rinse it every now and again.
Unfortunately it will be water access. Time, I have enough off

I wish we had those do-it-yourself washes over here in Hawaii. I used them a LOT when I still lived in the Netherlands but have had to miss them ever since I moved here. There is one DIY available on this island but, unfortunately, it's military use only. I believe it has something to do with the environmentalists on these islands, too bad because I think the market is there.

I'll check the Optimum No Rinse and see how that works.. it's no problem carrying a since bucket, of course, just don't feel like going up and down while having no access to a hose lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosis8 View Post
You know those school kids that do fund-raiser car washes every now and then? Jackpot.
Now that's an idea indeed, I see those quite a lot.

Thanks both

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #37
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

[edit - saw your answer. Nevermind. You don't have access ]

Do you not have access to one of those "wash it yourself" car wash bays? Just bring your own product and only use their water.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #38
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
[edit - saw your answer. Nevermind. You don't have access ]

Do you not have access to one of those "wash it yourself" car wash bays? Just bring your own product and only use their water.
Unfortunately not.. there's only one on this island, which is basically that one only available for Military personnel.

I could, however, go back to the house that we live in now as we're going to rent it out after we move to our new home and use the water and hose here but... I don't feel much for having to disturb tenants.. laws and all that

Reaaalllly maybe (and that's a big maybe) I might able to hook up a hose long enough to get to my car from the backyard from our new home but I'm afraid it might not work out due to the distance, pressure needed and all that, hence my initial question

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
carconvert
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

yikes! How do some of you find time to religiously maintain it the way youre describing? I can wash it myself on the weekend now thats its summer its easier. But when winter comes you won't catch me outdoors washing this thing. I have kids. Bananachipz -- help me
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #40
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately not.. there's only one on this island, which is basically that one only available for Military personnel.

I could, however, go back to the house that we live in now as we're going to rent it out after we move to our new home and use the water and hose here but... I don't feel much for having to disturb tenants.. laws and all that

Reaaalllly maybe (and that's a big maybe) I might able to hook up a hose long enough to get to my car from the backyard from our new home but I'm afraid it might not work out due to the distance, pressure needed and all that, hence my initial question
ONR is your friend my friend check out autopia.org, people rave about it. I've used it a lot in the last little while. You basically fill one bucket with 2oz of ONR and 2 gal of water. A second bucket filled with just rinse water for the wash mitt.

You wash your car with the mitt & the ONR solution a panel at a time. drop your mitt in the rinse bucket, and dry that pannel with a waffle weave or MF towel. no need to rinse. it's much better than the spray on waterless washes.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #41
bananachipz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yikes! How do some of you find time to religiously maintain it the way youre describing? I can wash it myself on the weekend now thats its summer its easier. But when winter comes you won't catch me outdoors washing this thing. I have kids. Bananachipz -- help me

You don't need to go crazy... I pm'd you the info on Opti-Coat which is your best bet for virtually maintenance free...

if you don't want to go that route, then you can buy a good sealant and do it once a season - in the spring, and just before winter. As for winter washing, a touchless is fine. I like Esso's because they don't have the tracks that mess your rims. There are a couple of heated do-it-yourself washes in the city as well. the Esso at Yonge/Steeles has one that you just pay by the hour. The key in the dead of winter is to just keep the salt and crap off the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #42
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

As you can see, we all have our own levels of cleaning, polishing, waxing, etc... As with most thing, we all have our own wants and expectations on what is "the right way".

There are basics though.
Claying, washing and polishing/waxing at least once per year are the basics.
How to wash and wax can be as varied as hairstyles.

Your question is a good one, because not all of us live in a year round sunny and warm enough climate, so that we can wash and wax every few months.
I live in the Chicago area and I'll NEVER hand wash after early October to around early April. It's just too darn cold for that!

On a new car, I wash, do a light clay, apply a coat or two of polish, and one coat of wax. After that initial method, I do a clay and polish twice per year, and wax once. Late spring/early summer, and then late summer/early fall. During the winter, and points in between the clay/polish/wax, I use a handheld spray car wash place, as the most important thing is to not let salt and grime sit on the paint too long.

I like the hand spray places as I can also use a sponge to help get the more stubborn stuff off. I also look for hand spray places that have a hand held brush, which I ONLY use on the wheels, NEVER on the paint.

Products I use:
Mothers clay bar
Liquid Glass polish - the easiest to apply and remove, and doesn't have that powdery residue that so many waxes leave behind.
I can do 2 applications of Liquid Glass, before I can even get one coat of real wax. By "real wax", I mean wax with carnauba in it.
I find that to get the liquidy/oily/greasy look, a wax with carnauba is needed.

As a poster said, it's a car, spend much more time driving it than cleaning it. But, of course that's not for everyone as some people simply enjoy having a perfectly clean and shiny car all the time.
But when you live in an all seasons area, that kind of obsession will take up all your free time.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #43
mfear
South Florida Elite
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAShea View Post
You don't have to. It depends on what you want. I have had my car for a month and have waxed it 7 times (after claying and polishing).

Tom
You WAX your car more than once a week?

You're doing something wrong.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #44
mfear
South Florida Elite
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black

Everyone do yourselves a favor and get some optimum no rinse and some optimum spray wax.

Appreciate 0