F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive and iPhone syncing
ARMA SPEED

03-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

iDrive and iPhone syncing

Hi there

I have the small non-nav CIC iDrive in my F30 and I am trying to connect the iPhone to it through USB so I can play music. I don't want to use AUX because using the phone distracts me from driving, so I am trying to figure out a way for the iDrive to display all the music found on the phone.

I have another phone, a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and when I connect it to the car through USB, the iDrive successfully displays the internal storage and I can play all the music on the phone using the steering wheel controls and such, however when I try using the lightning adapter cable it doesn't really do anything and is unable to access the phone's storage.

I tried opening the Music app on the phone in order to try and "fool" the car but that didn't work.

Any ideas? Would I have to search for the 'Y-Cable' I keep hearing about?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarekelsakka View Post
Hi there

I have the small non-nav CIC iDrive in my F30 and I am trying to connect the iPhone to it through USB so I can play music. I don't want to use AUX because using the phone distracts me from driving, so I am trying to figure out a way for the iDrive to display all the music found on the phone.

I have another phone, a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, and when I connect it to the car through USB, the iDrive successfully displays the internal storage and I can play all the music on the phone using the steering wheel controls and such, however when I try using the lightning adapter cable it doesn't really do anything and is unable to access the phone's storage.

I tried opening the Music app on the phone in order to try and "fool" the car but that didn't work.

Any ideas? Would I have to search for the 'Y-Cable' I keep hearing about?

Thanks!
I play music from my iPhone through BLUETOOTH. All you need to do is pair the phone to your iDrive. You won't see the art work but you will see all the music tittles.
And I run my iPod Classic through USB.
      03-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
I play music from my iPhone through BLUETOOTH. All you need to do is pair the phone to your iDrive. You won't see the art work but you will see all the music tittles.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not have Enhanced Bluetooth so I can only make phone calls but not listen to music. How do you connect your iPod using only USB and not a Y-Cable? I am assuming you either have a COMBOX or the BMW Assist/Connected package?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarekelsakka View Post
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not have Enhanced Bluetooth so I can only make phone calls but not listen to music. How do you connect your iPod using only USB and not a Y-Cable? I am assuming you either have a COMBOX or the BMW Assist/Connected package?
I Just use the white cable on my 2015 GC.
I used to use the Y cable on my '09 E90 & I think on my X3..
both ways I have full control of the iPod through iDrive and steering wheel & the art covers show up on the screen.
      03-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #5
mfstrby
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

I use the usb port (with my iphone's charging cable) in the center console and have no problem accessing the music in my iphone. I am thinking maybe it is an ios version problem or maybe the cable is busted.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I Just use the white cable on my 2015 GC.
I used to use the Y cable on my '09 E90 & I think on my X3..
both ways I have full control of the iPod through iDrive and steering wheel & the art covers show up on the screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_bagshot View Post
I use the usb port (with my iphone's charging cable) in the center console and have no problem accessing the music in my iphone. I am thinking maybe it is an ios version problem or maybe the cable is busted.
Do you guys have COMBOX units in the trunk of your cars? If the screen can display album arts and has an "Office" menu, then you do, and I don't which is essentially the problem to beginwith.
Appreciate 0