F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > HUD a must have?
proTUNING Freaks

10-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

I may be the only one here to speak against this, but I also may have a unique reason.

2 years ago I moved to the Denver, Colorado area. I had heard that your wind shield WILL get cracked out here...just a matter of time. Apparently they put stuff on the roads around winter time that often gets kicked up and results in small chips and cracks. When this happens, the intense sunlight from being a mile closer to the sun, coupled with drastic changes in morning col to afternoon sun-warmth cause the ships and cracks to grow.

Sure enough, I was here a week before getting my first ship that quickly turned into a small crack. Went to work and came down to find the crack had grown three feet.

Point of my ramblings is that I've heard the HUD requires special glass to properly reflect the image. Special glass requires more money to replace. I believe the stats around here are something about a wind shield lasting 2 years on average before needing to be replaced.

I dunno.....maybe next lease. I just placed my order for 2013.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Love it!! I dont even use the Nav on the iDrive screen, HUD only with Nav muted and iDrive on entertainment. Passengers are clueless that you are using the nav.

Recent phone contacts show up there
tracks for album or playlist

emergency info like accident, traffic jam, debris on road could be more but those are some of the few that I have seen so far.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #25
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
Point of my ramblings is that I've heard the HUD requires special glass to properly reflect the image. Special glass requires more money to replace. I believe the stats around here are something about a wind shield lasting 2 years on average before needing to be replaced.
The HUD does have the extra film in the windshield that the image is projected onto and when the windshield gets damaged to the point of needing replacing then things get tricky!

My windshield cracked and does need to be replaced. Thankfully my insurance covers this otherwise the bill may well have been more damaging to my wallet. The glass has been on order for nearly 3 weeks now and is coming from the factory. It's a pain in the glass

Fortunately being in the UK the factory is that bit closer and I dare say as the F30 becomes more established replacement glass will be a bit easier to come by. At the moment the glass replacement company didn't even have the part on their system and had to go to the dealer who used my chassis number to order the part in.

I can see why you're not so keen on the idea with such a high turnover of windshields. I'm just glad the insurance was there for me. First time I've ever had a chip turn into a crack and typically it's the most awkward to replace!
      10-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #26
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
Sweet, reading all this further validates my decision to get it.

It's fantastic. Once you go HUD you don't go back.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #27
LousyShot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I agree. It was my only reason for going with the tech package and I'm not sorry at all. Everything that used to be a driver distraction is now displayed on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 03:18 AM   #28
EJIB
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Luxury 18D 143 BHP 320NM

HUD really adds to safety driving; only relevant info without distracting the driver is showing up through the windscreen. Clearly visible in all driving circumstances. I'm a fan !!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #29
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

Paramus huh?! I grew up in Emerson. Went to Bergen Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

BJ

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #30
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

BJ
Get in the left lane already man!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #31
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
Paramus huh?! I grew up in Emerson. Went to Bergen Catholic.
Great school. My cousin was on the varsity baseball and football teams when Cushing played.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
Get in the left lane already man!!
With the L328i in Sport mode, making that jump to turn 20 feet later was effortless.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #32
nsquared
[Versatile]
Rep
Drives: (S)LOW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
I don't think the HUD displays the mpg, not that I've been able to find in the settings anyway. With the black panel display you get the instantaneous mpg that shows up digitally, otherwise without it I think it's just a needle that swings to give a vague idea of the current mpg.
Is there a list of what the HUD can display?

1. Music
2. Calling
3. Speed
4. Directions

Am I missing anything?
'20 AW F87 X3MC - Sold
Current: `23 Chalk G80 M3CX | Ordered: '24 M3CS - Week37 build.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #33
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

5. Cruise Control on/setting.
6. Vehicle Alerts.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #34
zibawal
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Fenomeno 415 View Post
I'm taking delivery next week and I am obsessing over not ordering the full tech package hence no HUD for me. I just ordered the standalone navigation. After reading posts most people with HUDs love theirs but also a few seem indifferent and say its underwhelming. Wanted to ask people's opinion on must having a HUD or not and how it effects their actual driving experience. I know its a helpful option but does not having it spoil anything significant about the driving experience?

I passed on it while configuring because BMW Apps does not interest me whatsoever and I felt HUD was just an extra something "cool" to have in the car.

Thoughts??
Hmm I never knew stand alone Nav was an option?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 LCI M3 2015

I have being umming and uhh'ing about getting the HUD for quite some time. It's such an expensive option and in a mildly mocking way; all it does is placing information that's readily available in your cockpit and Nav screen in your direct line of sight.

Sure it has the cool factor and will surely impress lots of people as it's almost never spec'd in this country, but if you had a limited budget and you could either get the HUD or say upgrade your standard Nav to Prof Nav, would you still get it?

Some of the responses here gives me strength to go with the HUD but I'm not entirely convinced. Would anyone out there prefer the Pro SatNav over the HUD? Or would you ditch any Nav upgrades since you will look at it a lot less when you have this beautiful HUD?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #36
Victor54
Rep
Drives: 328 Sport line, Mineral Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenshot View Post
I have being umming and uhh'ing about getting the HUD for quite some time. It's such an expensive option and in a mildly mocking way; all it does is placing information that's readily available in your cockpit and Nav screen in your direct line of sight.

Sure it has the cool factor and will surely impress lots of people as it's almost never spec'd in this country, but if you had a limited budget and you could either get the HUD or say upgrade your standard Nav to Prof Nav, would you still get it?

Some of the responses here gives me strength to go with the HUD but I'm not entirely convinced. Would anyone out there prefer the Pro SatNav over the HUD? Or would you ditch any Nav upgrades since you will look at it a lot less when you have this beautiful HUD?
Pro Nav first, then HUD. The 8.8" screen of the Pro Nav adds a lot of functionality in the car that I use all the time, especially the split screen info.

If you can, get both. The HUD really works well with displaying directions. Without Nav, the HUD just displays speed 95% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #37
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks Victor for your feedback. Just wanted to point out that the 328i in Australia comes standard with the Business Navigation unit..

Does this change anything?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #38
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:

Get the HUD,
you will NOT regret it, trust me, it enhances the driving experience because you're not fiddling around with the iDrive all the time (just scrolling through the tab on the steering wheel)...

WRT to windshield replacement, pay $40 a year for windshield insurance, and it'll cover the cost of the $900 windshield!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com

Last edited by shivaswrath; 11-01-2012 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #39
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Shivaswrath, I suppose you meant "you will NOT regret it".

My current insurance cover includes a windscreen replacement once a year so I'm not too fussed about the extra cost in case it gets chipped or scratched. Last time I claimed it they didn't even ask any questions or get anyone to inspect.

There seems to be 2 camps, one says "OMG it's the best thing since sliced bread" yet a few others deem it an cool but overpriced luxury.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #40
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:

My current insurance cover includes a windscreen replacement once a year so I'm not too fussed about the extra cost in case it gets chipped or scratched. Last time I claimed it they didn't even ask any questions or get anyone to inspect.

There seems to be 2 camps, one says "OMG it's the best thing since sliced bread" yet a few others deem it an cool but overpriced luxury.

Just get it already. It's only money, and you have money.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #41
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:

LOL, nice catch, just corrected...I'm pretty no frills, I had a bloody Mitsu Evo VIII for years before I drove a TSX for 22 months...the HUD is a necessary luxury, you will LOVE the $hit out of it.

if not, I'll buy you a starbucks latte (tall).

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #42
screenshot
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

you fellas are a cracker!

I'll definitely take your strong recommendations into my consideration. I think i'll L O V E the HUD too and will certainly add wow factor which none of the other tech bits will provide as they're pretty much common nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #43
Heiznberg
///
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I didn't think the HUD would be a big deal when I ordered the car with Technology Package, but I really like this feature and I think it'll be a must-have for me going forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
The HUD does have the extra film in the windshield that the image is projected onto and when the windshield gets damaged to the point of needing replacing then things get tricky!

My windshield cracked and does need to be replaced. Thankfully my insurance covers this otherwise the bill may well have been more damaging to my wallet. The glass has been on order for nearly 3 weeks now and is coming from the factory. It's a pain in the glass

Fortunately being in the UK the factory is that bit closer and I dare say as the F30 becomes more established replacement glass will be a bit easier to come by. At the moment the glass replacement company didn't even have the part on their system and had to go to the dealer who used my chassis number to order the part in.

I can see why you're not so keen on the idea with such a high turnover of windshields. I'm just glad the insurance was there for me. First time I've ever had a chip turn into a crack and typically it's the most awkward to replace!
I see what you did there
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #44
Heiznberg
///
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

While this ad is a bit weird and creepy, it's spot on. The HUD has helped me keep my eyes on the road better than any other car that I've owned, especially while using the navigation system.

Appreciate 0