F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Is an unlocked DME detectable?
Studio RSR

07-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #1
mondaydriver
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC

Is an unlocked DME detectable?

This might be a dumb question but is it pretty obvious to a mechanic when the DME has been unlocked? Is it something they would have to look for? Like would they notice it if I was having my car serviced, or are they only going to check that if there is a related problem? The upcoming PRO Tuning Freaks flash sounds enticing.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #2
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaydriver
This might be a dumb question but is it pretty obvious to a mechanic when the DME has been unlocked? Is it something they would have to look for? Like would they notice it if I was having my car serviced, or are they only going to check that if there is a related problem? The upcoming PRO Tuning Freaks flash sounds enticing.
If you are having the oil changed most likely not. Just beware that sometimes there are open campaigns where they require the service to include flashing the car and when they can't flash the car properly due to your tune they will absolutely find it. If you value your warranty a flash tune is not the thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
mondaydriver
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamRWS6 View Post
If you are having the oil changed most likely not. Just beware that sometimes there are open campaigns where they require the service to include flashing the car and when they can't flash the car properly due to your tune they will absolutely find it. If you value your warranty a flash tune is not the thing to do.
So in that case would a piggyback like a JB4 be a better route than a flash? I know that a piggyback is also not 100% undetectable, but probably more so than a flash?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Yes very detectable -bmy JB4 picks the flash up as a DME tamper code.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #5
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
I have not seem that code with ISTA/D and I have a flash tune. Most I saw was a MAF code. Or are you saying the JB4 caused the dme tamper code?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #6
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner
Quote:
I have not seem that code with ISTA/D and I have a flash tune. Most I saw was a MAF code. Or are you saying the JB4 caused the dme tamper code?
No the flash caused it, I'll screen shot it for you.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
detectable or not piggy backs are pretty safe, just take it off before going to the dealer for service, I've had plenty of warranty claims including thermostat and other engine related issues for over 50k and never had an issue
      07-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Whats the call out on the code? I get this, but I was told that its the JB4 doing it and ignore it. I have been flashed for over a year with a JB4 stacked, I just recently got the BT connect and upon reading codes I noticed this comes up 100% of the time. Not sure if its the flash doing it.

I have been in for service several times, the dealer never made a mention to me about it. Not sure.

But to answer the question directly, can a dme flash be detected. The simple answer is yes. If they take your manifold off and physically look at the dme, they would noticed the cut seal from the dme cover.

We looked at my car once with ISTA and noting ever came up...so Im assuming all dme can vary I guess.
Attached Images

07-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:
Whats the call out on the code? I get this, but I was told that its the JB4 doing it and ignore it. I have been flashed for over a year with a JB4 stacked, I just recently got the BT connect and upon reading codes I noticed this comes up 100% of the time. Not sure if its the flash doing it.

I have been in for service several times, the dealer never made a mention to me about it. Not sure.

But to answer the question directly, can a dme flash be detected. The simple answer is yes. If they take your manifold off and physically look at the dme, they would noticed the cut seal from the dme cover.

We looked at my car once with ISTA and noting ever came up...so Im assuming all dme can vary I guess.
This DME tamper protection one pops up for me on my JB4!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #10
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981
Quote:

Oh wow. Ya I don't have that. I just have the BOV plausibility and it's from the jb4.

Interesting.
      07-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #11
//M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

PTF claim to have beaten that code and say it shouldnt show.

As for ISTA, it's unlikely that a dealer tech could tell it was flashed, but Everytime a BMW is connected at a dealer something called FASTA is collected from every module and forwarded to BMW Germany, I'd be willing to bet engineers could tell from that data. Also don't forget engineers can login to any dealers ISTA network and remotely use the ICOM on any connected car in the dealership if they need to, I'm sure there's random byte flags in there that don't show codes. (Like maximum RPM, max boost etc) over-revs already use an anonymous byte flag for example.

My point being if you blow the motor I'm positive engineering could tell if a tune was installed. For regular dealer visits the techs won't notice anything.

BTW to engineers JB4 isn't even remotely invisible, if they had the prerogative (very large warranty claim) they could view many things like the fact that the OBD canbus is constantly being requested/ sending PID's like cylinder timing, AFR etc.... It's one thing to have an insurance safe driving dongle but to be requesting those parameters all the time tells them whats going on. Theres other things they can check too and you'd be a fool to think they don't know this.

Techs would have zero idea about this. So like I said as long as nothing goes really wrong you should be good, but expect that if it does your on the hook not BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
zinner
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't get that tamper code, I don't have a JB4 and I am using ISTA/D to read the codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondaydriver View Post
Regular mechanic, no .. Even a BMW tech will not know if you are there for maintenance work

If you have a damaged engine and BMW decides to do a full investigation about it, yes they will catch it in no time

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      08-01-2016, 03:40 PM   #14
zinner
Major
Rep

I remember seeing Dodge bulletins on how to tell if the wastegate spring had been tampered with on the SRT-4's. The know what to look for.
Appreciate 0