F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Will they improve the Auto start stop?
proTUNING Freaks

09-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Valour
petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 alpine white M235i

Will they improve the Auto start stop?

So I've used the auto start stop in the cars I have test driven and the auto start so far I've noticed is a little rough, but does it get better after the break in period? But thats not why I'm posting this do you think within the next year or so BMW will make the Auto Start Stop smoother? I have a friend, who just picked up a c350 sport and granted it's a nice car but that's the only aspect that I can see that clearly is better than what BMW offers. Or do you think they will not fiddle with it again until the LCi facelift of the F30 in a couple years or possibly later?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valour View Post
So I've used the auto start stop in the cars I have test driven and the auto start so far I've noticed is a little rough, but does it get better after the break in period? But thats not why I'm posting this do you think within the next year or so BMW will make the Auto Start Stop smoother? I have a friend, who just picked up a c350 sport and granted it's a nice car but that's the only aspect that I can see that clearly is better than what BMW offers. Or do you think they will not fiddle with it again until the LCi facelift of the F30 in a couple years or possibly later?
If it can be fixed via programming then it won't be all that long I suspect. (of course you have to factor in the cost/benefit ratio). If it's a hardware change then really it could be any time. Again assuming BMW thinks it's not up to "par".

Any reply will be entirely speculative.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Mercedes' system is far superior - annoyingly! Their ASS works out where the piston's are in their stroke and simply fires them with a quick turn from the starter to get it going.

To be honest, I think all the systems are floored because they use the starter motor, and the starter motor is old technology! It's slow, noisy, rough and really needs to be binned in the favour of something more advanced!

I know a company called CPT - Controlled Power Technologies who offer a product called SpeedStart®.

You can see the interesting technical bumf here on CPT's website, but in essence, it's an electric motor which starts the engine very quickly and very quietly. And most importantly, it reacts very quickly to driver request on reboot.
Attached Images

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
JUSKIDN
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

I just turn mine off if Im in a lot of traffic with stop and go. But with it on and eco mode I was getting 40 MPG on the interstate.
      09-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Does it even use the starter? In the cars I've driven and been driven in, I can't detect any starter action on restart.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Mercedes' system is far superior - annoyingly! Their ASS works out where the piston's are in their stroke and simply fires them with a quick turn from the starter to get it going.

To be honest, I think all the systems are floored because they use the starter motor, and the starter motor is old technology! It's slow, noisy, rough and really needs to be binned in the favour of something more advanced!

I know a company called CPT - Controlled Power Technologies who offer a product called SpeedStart®.

You can see the interesting technical bumf here on CPT's website, but in essence, it's an electric motor which starts the engine very quickly and very quietly. And most importantly, it reacts very quickly to driver request on reboot.
Pretty similar to how a hybrid restart the engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

I can't wait to reprogram my car and get rid of ASS. I forgot to turn it off the other day and thought I stalled the car and hit the start/stop button and wound up shutting it down! What a pain in the ASS. It's gotta go.
      09-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

I think it is already improved from 2012 model to 2013 model. When I test drive the 2012 model the ASS was shaking the car at stop and also start. I can`t say it is very smooth in 2013 model also but it is not annoying. You feel the stop and start little bit. Moreover, it is very responsive, once I was stopped for a U turn and just took my foot of the break when the ASS shut down. The engine started again before the needle reached the ready position.

When you stop lfor a ong time when the AC running the engine starts without removing the foot off the brake. This is start is usually rough.

But I still don`t want to use it with AT because it stops everywhere, U turns, stop signs etc. I think ASS is better for an MT
      09-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshubert View Post
I can't wait to reprogram my car and get rid of ASS. I forgot to turn it off the other day and thought I stalled the car and hit the start/stop button and wound up shutting it down! What a pain in the ASS. It's gotta go.
It's the worst feature on Earth, eventually it's going to get someone killed and then it'll make national news and the fun will start.

At the very moment you need dependable acceleration the most, like turning left across a speedy intersection from a stop, the engine shuts off. And you work out the timing and find the right window to make your move and there's no power for a long second. Then you pray the thing starts but by the time it does your window has rapidly closed. It's a terrible experience.

Then there are stalls. Happens frequently for no apparent reason. As you say, sometimes you think you've stalled so you quickly hit the button and that turns the engine off, not on.

I couldn't let my wife drive the car until I had ASS deactivated. I hadn't been driving a car that stalled since my 1980 Honda Prelude until my 2013 BMW. And for what? So some tree-huggers can claim they're environmentally "friendly" as they drive their excessive luxury cars and smoke cigars? So someone who can afford a $50,000 German sport sedan can save $0.19 cents per fill-up?

Awful idea, awful implementation, awful choice of car to put it on. If we wanted a Prius, we'd have bought one.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

My ASS has gotten smoother

I like the feature, and have never had an issue where it malfunctioned or stalled on me.
      09-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

I couldn't let my wife drive the car until I had ASS deactivated. I hadn't been driving a car that stalled since my 1980 Honda Prelude until my 2013 BMW. And for what?

BJ
+1

"Stalling" is beyond rediculous in the 21st century. The FATHERS of some of the people on this board are too young to remember being in a stalled car...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Next time you are at a stop or when you dont want the ass to initiate, you can trick the car by either putting the lever into DS before you come to your stop, or modulate the brake pedal and it wont activate ass
      09-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #13
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

I have only had my 2013 335xdrive for 1 week (August build) but so far I like the ASS and have no problems with it. The starting and stopping is pretty subtle and as soon as I take my foot off the brake the car starts up immediately. I think for driving in the city the gas savings can be pretty significant......Maybe it has been improved and reprogrammed from the 2012 models??? I also have read some reviews where the test drivers have said the ASS in the 335i model is smoother and less harsh than in the 328i model.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #14
EJIB
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 Luxury 18D 143 BHP 320NM

Mostly I turn off ASS. I prefer to decide myself to use ASS depending of traffic situation. The currently built in ASS looks to me an intermediate solution and at least I hope that the hybride tech would be commonly used in the future. (No startmotor needed resulting in a very smooth start or restart).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
It's the worst feature on Earth, eventually it's going to get someone killed and then it'll make national news and the fun will start.

At the very moment you need dependable acceleration the most, like turning left across a speedy intersection from a stop, the engine shuts off. And you work out the timing and find the right window to make your move and there's no power for a long second. Then you pray the thing starts but by the time it does your window has rapidly closed. It's a terrible experience.

Then there are stalls. Happens frequently for no apparent reason. As you say, sometimes you think you've stalled so you quickly hit the button and that turns the engine off, not on.

I couldn't let my wife drive the car until I had ASS deactivated. I hadn't been driving a car that stalled since my 1980 Honda Prelude until my 2013 BMW. And for what? So some tree-huggers can claim they're environmentally "friendly" as they drive their excessive luxury cars and smoke cigars? So someone who can afford a $50,000 German sport sedan can save $0.19 cents per fill-up?

Awful idea, awful implementation, awful choice of car to put it on. If we wanted a Prius, we'd have bought one.

BJ
What an extremely narrow minded view
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #16
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

We've already been there and beaten this to death. There are some very ill-informed, ignorant and down-right idiotic people over the pond who think that their narrow view of what a BMW should be should dictate a global brand like BMW. Thankfully they're the minority, not only in the world but even in their own country

For the rest of us who live in the real world, thank God BMW are implementing features like ASS to stop a completely unnecessary waste of fuel when a car is standing still.
      09-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #17
Valour
petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 alpine white M235i

wow yea this got a little off topic but it's good to see that some people had ASS get better with time. And it was one of the first MY2012 328i I drove so maybe that's what the issue was. I'll probably go test out that feature at another dealer on a 335. Thanks for all the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

There's an article in the June 2012 Road & Track that discusses various stop/start technologies and the system BMW uses is pretty old school. Until they change the technology, I don't see the ASS becoming as good as some other vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
We've already been there and beaten this to death. There are some very ill-informed, ignorant and down-right idiotic people over the pond who think that their narrow view of what a BMW should be should dictate a global brand like BMW. Thankfully they're the minority, not only in the world but even in their own country

For the rest of us who live in the real world, thank God BMW are implementing features like ASS to stop a completely unnecessary waste of fuel when a car is standing still.
Just want to point out that not everybody in the US is ill-informed, ignorant and down-right idiotic. In fact, a lot of us like the technology.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #20
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Just want to point out that not everybody in the US is ill-informed, ignorant and down-right idiotic. In fact, a lot of us like the technology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Thankfully they're the minority, not only in the world but even in their own country
      09-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
This even includes some of us redneck Texans.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I feel like if you just release some pressure off the brake just before you want to get going and let the car start before you let of the brakes completely the A.S.S is much smoother. I have no problem at all with it. I even select Eco Pro when driving in the city, even though I own a 335!
Appreciate 0