F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Washer fluid reservoir
proTUNING Freaks

01-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
brn2900
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport

Washer fluid reservoir

This may be a stupid question, but is there some trick to filling the washer fluid. I opened the cap to the reservoir and about 2 inches below that, their is a solid piece of plastic covering over where the hole usually goes down. There is however, a small hole in the side, right under the reservoir cap. I imagine it could be filled through that but you would need a funnel with a tube on the end to stick in the sideways hole. This seems pretty stupid to me, so i'm thinking the solid plastic piece shouldn't be there. Just wondering what everyone else's looks like?
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5849.00
      01-31-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn2900 View Post
This may be a stupid question, but is there some trick to filling the washer fluid. I opened the cap to the reservoir and about 2 inches below that, their is a solid piece of plastic covering over where the hole usually goes down. There is however, a small hole in the side, right under the reservoir cap. I imagine it could be filled through that but you would need a funnel with a tube on the end to stick in the sideways hole. This seems pretty stupid to me, so i'm thinking the solid plastic piece shouldn't be there. Just wondering what everyone else's looks like?
Lol you just have to pour carefully. The tube on the side drains the little basin quick enough, but still, if you dump too much, it'll spill over. I have the winter package, and the headlight washers spray A LOT of fluid, so I've refilled mine a few times this month. The reservoir holds a little more than 2 gallons (if memory serves), so you just have to be patient and steady handed. It also helps if you carb the seal from the bottle instead of just ripping it off.

The only irritation I have is that there's no way to tell how close to full you are until it stops draining. So, it helps to know exactly how much it holds and then just empty it before refilling.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
jsedlak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 6spd

Just pour slower through the top cap.
      01-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

I would say more or less one gallon is what it holds (I fill up with 4 litre bottles but never manage to completely empty one).

The design is intended to not let too big particles enter the tank. I like it better than the one on the E9x which isnt fixed (somehow I managed to lose mine )

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
brn2900
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by brn2900 View Post
Lol you just have to pour carefully. The tube on the side drains the little basin quick enough, but still, if you dump too much, it'll spill over. I have the winter package, and the headlight washers spray A LOT of fluid, so I've refilled mine a few times this month. The reservoir holds a little more than 2 gallons (if memory serves), so you just have to be patient and steady handed. It also helps if you carb the seal from the bottle instead of just ripping it off.

The only irritation I have is that there's no way to tell how close to full you are until it stops draining. So, it helps to know exactly how much it holds and then just empty it before refilling.
Thanks everyone for the replies! That is a goofy set up lol
Appreciate 0