F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Shipping my F30 to Crete, Greece
ARMA SPEED

12-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
Dnardi55
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Shipping my F30 to Crete, Greece

I was hoping someone out there had experience transporting there car from the States to Crete Island or possibly anywhere in Greece. I work for the DoD and will be transferring from the States to Crete, Greece in January. I have a 2013 F30 loaded with M Performance parts and was looking to sell it before moving but I've come to the realization that I am probably going to lose way too much $$$ on it. My work will pay to ship it over and there are no local taxes I would have to pay but I was also told to bring extra oil filters since they don't carry any for American spec cars, which doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I've also heard the roads are pretty crappy and the speed limit on the main highway is 50mph. I'm pretty sure there are also no BMW service centers on the island and would likely have to transport my car to Athens for service.

If I do end up transporting it overseas, does anyone have any experience or advice bringing a BMW from the States to Crete or anywhere in Greece? Is there a market out there to sell a car like this Greece? Any feedback is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Bored so I did some research for you...

There are 2 authorized dealers on Crete according to bmw.gr. They don't appear to have the name of "BMW of Hollywood" or anything but they are on the authorized list when I did a map search on their Greek website.

Do you need a vehicle there? How long are you going to be away for? Maybe you put it in storage if not that long (year or less, or longer if you have someone that can drive it around periodically)

Don't know anything about shipping but make sure it's fully insurance on the boat. Your U.S. coverage won't cover once it leaves the dock. (vessel insurance or something, but I'm sure the DoD does this a lot but make sure your ass is covered)

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 03:58 AM   #3
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Depending on how long you will be in Greece, wouldn't it be simpler to put your car in storage, and rent something while in Greece?

A few things for you to know. Greek drivers couldn't care less about your car and when parking, they will knock it with their own cars. It happens in most Mediterranean countries and it's the reason why I always put my car in private parking areas. I rarely if ever leave it on the street.

Unless you plan to change the plates, you will be pulled over all the time by the police to check your papers. You will need to get additional insurance and you will also have to make your car compliant with local Greek laws.

BMW's are generally quite cheap in Europe. It's where they come from! If you insist on driving a beamer, just buy one in Greece and sell it when you leave!

Ultimately, shipping your US BMW over will cost you substantially more than just putting yours in temporary storage and buying / renting a car in Greece.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
markinva
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

Crete is awesome... you will enjoy it. I think it's one of the better places in the world. Amazing food, weather and people. Beautiful beaches.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 09:36 PM   #5
Engelb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335

I visited Crete before and drove a rental all over the island it's not very big and the speed limits will get old quick, I'm about to take a huge hit on my 335 because after a lot of research taking it to Naples Italy would just be insane.
What's the Insurance rate there? I' was about to lay al oust 4K a year for mines..
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
Dnardi55
Rep

Thanks for all the input and help in finding some info out on Crete. I will be on Crete for at least 2 years and probably the 5 year max so putting it in storage is not something I'm interested in while making payments.

Shipping it over there and getting it registered through my work will not be a problem but it does sound like it could be a headache once it's there. I also just found out my warranty will not work overseas since they only cover 2 years vice the 4. I'm really leaning towards just leaving it with a family member to sell and hope I don't lose my ass on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Dnardi55
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engelb
I visited Crete before and drove a rental all over the island it's not very big and the speed limits will get old quick, I'm about to take a huge hit on my 335 because after a lot of research taking it to Naples Italy would just be insane.
What's the Insurance rate there? I' was about to lay al oust 4K a year for mines..
I received a quote from Geico insurance overseas for $1,400 a year. That only covers me and my car but I don't think the additional coverage I would get in Greece is too expensive.
Appreciate 0