F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pure Stage 2 turbo
Extreme Powerhouse

02-25-2015, 02:53 PM   #23
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold View Post
No I have my shop that installed stage1 turbo do the stage2 turbo. Install is planned mid next week. So I hope to be up and running by the end of next week
Sweet! ill be looking forward to your review!

Quote:
Why don't you guys with JB4 get the JB4 Mobile Connectkit? It shows you all the awron shows and more on your mobile phone. And you can control the JB4 with it and easily make logs etc etc.
the AWRON gauge is just so sexy!!! I couldn't resist. I have the Bluetooth kit for my JB4, its just not as sexy as having that gauge in the dash though lol. Plus Eurocharged here in Houston is going to do a flash tune on my car once I get the turbo on and see how they can do compared to the JB4.
I have tried flash tunes. Not much luck with them. But maybe you have more luck. Keep me posted!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #24
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel View Post
eh, im usually too busy for any of the clubs, or too lazy lol.

Do they make an aftermarket oil cooler for the f30? I haven't seen one, and Im pretty sure mine has two since its an M-Sport.
AR may have one, but you're right - M-Sport has a pretty good-sized one to begin with.

So Eurocharged has a flash tune for the F30? How were they able to crack the encryption when nobody else, including Dinan, has been able to?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #25
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Over here warranty is only 2 years and I passed that last month. However I have been driving stage1 since april 2014 so I actually don't care too much about it.

I also have the ATM fmic and a meth kit (trunk mount) so my IAT's will be very decent. Eg. If I do a 50-130mph pull my IAT is lower at the end of the run than before I started lol. Also a FMIC does not add HP. Most tunes increase boost if you have a FMIC and downpipes. That's where the added HP comes from. If you run the same boost it won't give any gains unless your stock fmic is heatsoaked. But that won't happen from just 1 pull. But yes a FMIC is for sure recommended.
I'll have to agree to disagree about the FMIC. The stock unit is disappointingly cheap, just like the one in the E9x series and doesn't support smooth airflow. By going to a bar-and-plate design (as opposed to the stock unit's tube-and-fin) with no 90-degree bends in the piping, the charge temp is reduced and airflow improved - although with meth, that might not have the same degree of effect. On a non-meth setup, like my previous E92, just installing the better FMIC had a noticeable effect with just my Dinan S2 tune, and it allowed me to go to S3 (Dinan won't allow the install of S3 without corroboration from the dealer/installer that a larger FMIC and OC have been installed).

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #26
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I'll have to agree to disagree about the FMIC. The stock unit is disappointingly cheap, just like the one in the E9x series and doesn't support smooth airflow. By going to a bar-and-plate design (as opposed to the stock unit's tube-and-fin) with no 90-degree bends in the piping, the charge temp is reduced and airflow improved - although with meth, that might not have the same degree of effect. On a non-meth setup, like my previous E92, just installing the better FMIC had a noticeable effect with just my Dinan S2 tune, and it allowed me to go to S3 (Dinan won't allow the install of S3 without corroboration from the dealer/installer that a larger FMIC and OC have been installed).
With which part do you disagree with?

Tube and Fin design intercoolers usually flow better. Due to having rounded tubes that generate less resistance compared to Bar and Plate that have rectangular tubes that cause more resistance which creates more turbulence and more pressure drop. Of course this effect is also responsible for cooling the air to a certain extent.

FYI I tested a 5'' bar and plate vs the stock tube and fin fmic and compared a single run 60-130 gps measured time. While the IAT on the bar and plate was better it was also flowing worse. Enough flow drop to make the 60-130 .5 tenths slower. In normal circumstances you don't run your turbo at 100% dutycycle. But I was testing the turbo at 100% dutycycle to compare pressure drop on the FMICs. The stock fmic allowed 21 psi midrange and 18 psi at 6k and 17.5 psi at 6.5k rpm. The other one only 18 psi midrange, 15.5 psi at 6k and 14.5 psi at 6.5k rpm.

So in the above scenario the FMIC that was cooling better also performed worse. In normal situations you run your turbo at 20-50% dutycycle and if your new fmic flows worse than stock you will get the same boost at slightly higher dutycycle (meaning your turbo has to work harder to give the same boost at the intake manifold). This would on the long run of course improve performance.

Of course I agree a good FMIC and sportcat are MODS you should do to support additional power. But for most people driving on the streets doing the occasional pull through 2 or 3 gears it's not needed.

That being said ofcourse I have a FMIC and sportcat on my car even with meth. Simply because I want the best for my car. However I still stick to the point that a FMIC by itself won't cause any performance gain doing a single 60-130 mph pull. Simply because the stock fmic won't heatsoak during a single run.

Last edited by PeterPure; 02-26-2015 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #27
obriennathaniel
@obriennathaniel_f30 on Instagram
United_States
Rep
Drives: 582whp/596wtq '13 335i

Quote:
I have tried flash tunes. Not much luck with them. But maybe you have more luck. Keep me posted!
they seem pretty confident they can out perform the JB4, they said it wont be the first time. i sure hope so!

Quote:
AR may have one, but you're right - M-Sport has a pretty good-sized one to begin with.

So Eurocharged has a flash tune for the F30? How were they able to crack the encryption when nobody else, including Dinan, has been able to?
yea, some companies have been doing them since late december, but have pretty much been focusing on the M3/4/5's, and theyre mostly in europe, they have to remove the ecu to basically get the password that enables them to then go thru the OBD port to tune the car. I think AMS has the capability also.

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:30 PM   #28
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by obriennathaniel
Quote:
they seem pretty confident they can out perform the JB4, they said it wont be the first time. i sure hope so!

Quote:

yea, some companies have been doing them since late december, but have pretty much been focusing on the M3/4/5's, and theyre mostly in europe, they have to remove the ecu to basically get the password that enables them to then go thru the OBD port to tune the car. I think AMS has the capability also.
Once you switch to ethanol fuel blen and run high boost the jb4 is king. There are limiters in our dme causing flash to drop torque fast in upper rpm range. Atleast thats my experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:21 PM   #29
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Once you switch to ethanol fuel blen and run high boost the jb4 is king. There are limiters in our dme causing flash to drop torque fast in upper rpm range. Atleast thats my experience.
Terry says EWG cars don't like Ethanol.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #30
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Quote:
Terry says EWG cars don't like Ethanol.
I think jasons 435i ewg runs E30 mix without issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:51 AM   #31
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
hi,
You're right about the DME/torque limitation, but you know when tuning on newly cracked DME's we start from scratch. We also experienced the different limitations after I mounted my own upgraded turbo.
Many of those limits were discovered daily. If you're tuner gave up I'm sorry.

(just for fun we raised the speed limitation to 350km/t )
Krelle
      02-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #32
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

I am definitely interested in doing this. I would prefer something like a gt30 but I am not sure if one could even fit. I am just getting into the 335i coming from stage 3 mk5 gti. I wonder what this pure stage 2 would be at w/ stock fueling. Hopefully around 400whp
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #33
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazsta View Post
I am definitely interested in doing this. I would prefer something like a gt30 but I am not sure if one could even fit. I am just getting into the 335i coming from stage 3 mk5 gti. I wonder what this pure stage 2 would be at w/ stock fueling. Hopefully around 400whp
You can't change the turbo itself. Its part of the exhaust manifold. All you can do it change the internals and cold side.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #34
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krelle View Post
hi,
You're right about the DME/torque limitation, but you know when tuning on newly cracked DME's we start from scratch. We also experienced the different limitations after I mounted my own upgraded turbo.
Many of those limits were discovered daily. If you're tuner gave up I'm sorry.

(just for fun we raised the speed limitation to 350km/t )
Krelle
soooo what youre saying is once you find the limitations, they can be adjusted?

CG Precision VS-1 Exhaust\DR-1 DownPipe | PS2 Turbo\Inlet | PDU PI w/Fuel-it platinum kit & E sensor | GFB DV+ Diverter Valve | BM3 w/AIC2-V|Tune CaryTheLabelGuy | Full E85 | ATM FMIC | ER Chargepipe Inlet/Outlet | AFE Intake | BC Coilovers | PSS 255/40-275/35 Velos Designwerks S3 two piece 19x9/19x10 | Osram Xenarc | LED retro | AWRON digital AC gauge|
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #35
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazsta View Post
Considering these cars can make 400 RWHP with nothing but a JB4, downpipe, and fuel...I'd hope you're shooting a little higher than that.

Still, modding these cars beyond the most basic of bolt-ons produces highly diminishing returns. Even with the thousands you'll spend on an intercooler, turbo, exhaust, fuel, etc., anything over 450 RWHP is a pipe-dream. In other words...an almost stock M3/4 (which will still be faster).

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 03:17 AM   #36
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
soooo what youre saying is once you find the limitations, they can be adjusted?
Yes they can. Once you have made the Path inside the DME you can access through the obd port and alter values as you wish. The problem is to find all the limitations
Its pretty easy once you find them, but the time spend investigating... But it's a one time job and those WHO find all get's to make a lot of tunes before otters find out.

PS the mike_l guy is Wong! You Can alter the exhaust side as well, otherwise I chanced turbo just to waste time
/Krelle
      02-28-2015, 06:04 AM   #37
CJ2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5

I have the PURE stage 2 turbo upgrade. Just got my car back yesterday, and from what I'm told, have the fastest F30 in the world as of today. Only due to the fact that I'm the first F30 they've worked on. And yes, they were able to fabricate the N55 high flow inlet so that it fit my car. My mods are in my sig.

Here is what they said about my car and link to thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1092138&page=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Turbos View Post
We just finished tuning a PURE installed F30 Stage 2 Turbo, 8spd auto.

What a beast! We are very impressed. It took everything we threw at it. Almost zero timing pull. Perfect AFR's. Trans never slipped. We ended up at 19psi to redline. Never saw any signs of the limit. Just stopped there because it's not our car, and it's super fast. We will let the customer take it further if he wishes.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 09:05 AM   #38
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes they can. Once you have made the Path inside the DME you can access through the obd port and alter values as you wish. The problem is to find all the limitations
Its pretty easy once you find them, but the time spend investigating... But it's a one time job and those WHO find all get's to make a lot of tunes before otters find out.

PS the mike_l guy is Wong! You Can alter the exhaust side as well, otherwise I chanced turbo just to waste time
/Krelle
Would you care to share the info on the limitations with me? if not I understand. But I'm not getting into the turbo mechanics lol I havnt messed with it yet so idk.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #39
obriennathaniel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2 View Post
I have the PURE stage 2 turbo upgrade. Just got my car back yesterday, and from what I'm told, have the fastest F30 in the world as of today. Only due to the fact that I'm the first F30 they've worked on. And yes, they were able to fabricate the N55 high flow inlet so that it fit my car. My mods are in my sig.

Here is what they said about my car and link to thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...1092138&page=8
I'm def gonna pay attention to you're thread!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #40
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Good stuff
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #41
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

/Krelle
The only way to change the exhaust side is the internals. The case is part of the manifold. It cannot be changed.

Before you ever say I'm wrong, you better do your damn research.

Last edited by Mike_L; 02-28-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #42
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
Quote:

/Krelle
The only way to change the exhaust side is the internals. The case is part of the manifold. It cannot be changed.

[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...psavpsxuw5.jpg[/img]

Before you ever say I'm wrong, you better do your damn research.
Huh imo you can make a custom turbo manifold that fits a big single turbo and make custom downpipe and inlets if you like?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #43
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Huh imo you can make a custom turbo manifold that fits a big single turbo and make custom downpipe and inlets if you like?
Sure you could, but thats a helluva lot more than just changing a turbo.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #44
Krelle
Captain
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Would you care to share the info on the limitations with me? if not I understand. But I'm not getting into the turbo mechanics lol I havnt messed with it yet so idk.
Well, which one? There are quite a few of them!
We were on it for day's
/Krelle