F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New f30 help
Extreme Powerhouse

11-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

New f30 help

Hi

I have ordered a new 330d m sport currently with variable sport steering and passive suspension.

I have been told by a few sales people at the dealers that the VSS is not needed and a lot of them did not like it. They suggested I would be better of with the m adaptive instead.

Can anybody help me out as I cannot find a car with VSS or adaptive suspension to try out for my self.

Thanks
Xplosiv
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Two different things there. Steering can be VSS or Servotronic and suspension can be passsive or adapative.

The default (non cost) is Servotronic with passive but you can pay for either of them to be "upgraded".

There is another thread on here where people are saying they dont like VSS but i'm sure you get used to it. It changes the turn of the wheels depending on speed.

Adaptive seems popular and worth it. You get a tightening up of suspension when you choose sport mode along with stiffer steering and better throttle response.

Each to their own but i prefer servotronic and adaptive suspsension but choosing neither isnt a bad choice. Just cost at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosiv166 View Post
Hi

I have ordered a new 330d m sport currently with variable sport steering and passive suspension.

I have been told by a few sales people at the dealers that the VSS is not needed and a lot of them did not like it. They suggested I would be better of with the m adaptive instead.

Can anybody help me out as I cannot find a car with VSS or adaptive suspension to try out for my self.

Thanks
Xplosiv
IMO, M Sport Adaptive Suspenders are a must. VSS is not for me as it is weird. But others, who've specced it and paid £250 for it, love it.

And another thing, choose 18" wheels for a better ride, less noise, better handling and grip (especially in the wet) instead of 19" wheels.

Sometimes, less is more!
      11-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Just a word of caution about VSS when garage staff comment. Some of them still believe it is the same as the active steering in the E9* range. That system was an acquired taste, but unless they have themselves tried the F3/1 model VSS, be a bit wary of opinion. Make sure they are talking about VSS, not the obsolete system.

Similarly some sales staff say adaptive suspension is unnecessary and haven't even tried it themselves.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
IoWfan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 328i Msport auto

I've got the adaptive suspension on my M sport...... There is a marked difference between Eco or Comfort & sport modes... The ride can feel a bit wallow-ey on undulating/rough roads in Comfort. Going into Sport really tightens things up, both ride-wise & steering. My wife prefers the Sport mode as a passenger, too. (This is on 19" wheels btw.)

And neither of us are in our first flush of youth, either!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoWfan View Post
I've got the adaptive suspension on my M sport...... There is a marked difference between Eco or Comfort & sport modes... The ride can feel a bit wallow-ey on undulating/rough roads in Comfort. Going into Sport really tightens things up, both ride-wise & steering. My wife prefers the Sport mode as a passenger, too. (This is on 19" wheels btw.)

I assume that is on IOW roads... If so, can understand what you mean as it is said, "IOW roads are different". Really needs a middle suspension setting as in the 5-series which sorts the issues for poor roads.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I am in my second childhood! I keep mine in 'comfort' all the time. It's not wallow-ey/floaty at all. I can't stand the 'sport' setting. Too 'fast and furious' for me. I keep my tyre pressures spot on.
      11-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
IoWfan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
I am in my second childhood! I keep mine in 'comfort' all the time. It's not wallow-ey/floaty at all. I can't stand the 'sport' setting. Too 'fast and furious' for me. I keep my tyre pressures spot on.
Interesting how what one person likes another dislikes, isn't it? ... I am running our car 3psi up from the standard setting, too... the car seems a lot happier like that. Mebbe my backbone has fused with age so I don't notice the hard ride!

At least adaptive gives a choice, I suppose, over the "fixed" standard damping.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

I think the VSS option is getting deleted as i cannot find a car to drive and test it and it could if i hate it destroy the car for me for the next 3 years.

The sales man i spoke to had been on a BMW experience day and said that 50% of the racing drivers he spoke with said they hated it the other 50% said they loved it, he hated it but then he was around 50 yrs of age.

The sales man did say he would get the M Adaptive suspension as he likes having the option.

The only issue i have is that i will be driving the car in ECO PRO mode most of the time to save the pennies but would want (i think) the sport suspension on and only occasionally using the comfort but i guess this is not an option.

NOTE: the 18inch wheels are not for me, really don't like the way they look on the car. i have a E92 on 18" wheels and although they saved my money in terms of tyre cost i miss the 19" wheels i had on my previous E92. Loved the way it tram lined and handled.

Still not sure if i need the adaptive, as i am really happy with the comfort i have in my E92 any more bouncy and i would hate it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #10
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

I have the passive suspension and feel that it's perfectly fine. Comfortable on a long run and I can certainly hustle the car down a twisty b-road without any problems - I suspect a stiffened suspension setting would work well on a track but could result in wheel skipping on a bumpy British b-road?

Caveat - I have not driven an adaptive suspension car.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

This is my problem i cannot find a dealer that can give me a test drive in an adaptive car so i have no idea what i am buying.

I am not one of the people who thought the e90/e92 was harsh and i had 19" wheels on my last coupe, so maybe it is not for me???

I could spend the money on the HUD option instead or the powerkit. But i have no idea what to do

Does anybody have the beige seats? if so can you please post pictures and do you still lke it x months on?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

I think the VSS option is getting deleted as i cannot find a car to drive and test it and it could if i hate it destroy the car for me for the next 3 years.

The sales man i spoke to had been on a BMW experience day and said that 50% of the racing drivers he spoke with said they hated it the other 50% said they loved it, he hated it but then he was around 50 yrs of age.

The sales man did say he would get the M Adaptive suspension as he likes having the option.

The only issue i have is that i will be driving the car in ECO PRO mode most of the time to save the pennies but would want (i think) the sport suspension on and only occasionally using the comfort but i guess this is not an option.

NOTE: the 18inch wheels are not for me, really don't like the way they look on the car. i have a E92 on 18" wheels and although they saved my money in terms of tyre cost i miss the 19" wheels i had on my previous E92. Loved the way it tram lined and handled.

Still not sure if i need the adaptive, as i am really happy with the comfort i have in my E92 any more bouncy and i would hate it.

Thanks
How dare you be agist. I'm much older than that and I don't consider myself old. I am very fit and can out run many a fit 25 year old. 50 is the new 30. Are you one of those young pissers who can't piss straight? Enough of my fury.

Now, about the car. I prefer the look of the 18" 400M wheels and also feel the car is a better performer with them. And, what is the point of getting a 330d if you mostly drive it in Eco Pro mode? It's like carrot feeding a donkey from its arse and expecting the poor animal to enjoy it.

Get the Adaptive Suspension as then you will really enjoy the Eco Pro mode. You seem to be really 'very old before your time'.
      11-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Interesting how what one person likes another dislikes, isn't it? ... I am running our car 3psi up from the standard setting, too... the car seems a lot happier like that. Mebbe my backbone has fused with age so I don't notice the hard ride!

At least adaptive gives a choice, I suppose, over the "fixed" standard damping.
I have both the adaptive and the VSS steering and PowerKit

I have only done about 3000 miles and just back from two days driving on country roads in the really bad weather.

I found the car was just super both in terms of control and response. The power along with Xdrive just meant the car was firmly planted. It gave me great confidence and in control especially with the PowerKit.

I had a loan 320d eco F30 out for a couple of days and if it had of been a test drive I would NOT have bought a BMW. It was just awlful to drive i.e. the suspension was all over the place, you could feel every bump. The difference in the steering and suspenison was day and night, a totally different car. Even with 19" wheels my car feels so smooth.

I would definitely spec both the adpative and the VSS again.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Does anyone know where the passive suspension sits compared to the adaptive options?
I know with my e92 it was somewhere between the middle and sport settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
I think we will find that some of the way a car can wallow and float is down to road quality. I find with my 5-series that some roads need the normal setting rather than run comfort mode, as the suspension needs a bit more damping control. Ride is then more comfortable than the softer setting.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

Hi
I am currently looking at 330d M Sport Touring as well. Yesterday I drove a model without the adaptive and today I drove it with. You can definitely feel the difference between the adaptive settings and I would go for it personally. That said, I didn't think the M Sport yesterday on standard suspension was a bad drive, I just like the idea of firming things up on a nice B road for a more taut drive. Both cars were X Drive too by the way.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

Thanks for your input i am not getting the XDrive as i like the RWD and better economy.

"How dare you be agist. I'm much older than that and I don't consider myself old. I am very fit and can out run many a fit 25 year old. 50 is the new 30. Are you one of those young pissers who can't piss straight? Enough of my fury."

Sorry just remember two elderly people at the dealer when i was getting my car getting upset over the E92 M Sport with 18" wheels. as they hated how harsh the ride was i was trying not to laugh at them. WTF do you expect you bought the sports options.

VSS bothers me on one had it could be weird an the other brilliant but i am removing it as i cannot test drive a car with it on.

M Adaptive i don;t think will piss me off if i get it, but if i hate the VSS well i am screwed

Seems a lot of people i have spoken too don't like VSS, the people who have it have learnt to like it.

Xplosiv
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #18
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

XDrive will need the adaptive as the handling is not as good due to the higher ride height even with M Sport Suspension.

Every dealer i have spoken with regarding the XDrive has said get the adaptive with it, but i don't want a xdrive snow tyres work fine never had an issue in my E92 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
....The only issue i have is that i will be driving the car in ECO PRO mode most of the time to save the pennies but would want (i think) the sport suspension on and only occasionally using the comfort but i guess this is not an option.

...Still not sure if i need the adaptive, as i am really happy with the comfort i have in my E92 any more bouncy and i would hate it.

Thanks
Sounds like you need passive M-sport suspension, if you want the firm ride in Eco-Pro mode, as adaptive will default to comfort mode. Remember steering will be the lighter setting as well in Eco-Pro mode.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
IoWfan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

VSS bothers me on one had it could be weird an the other brilliant but i am removing it as i cannot test drive a car with it on.

M Adaptive i don;t think will piss me off if i get it, but if i hate the VSS well i am screwed
I think that's quite a wise decision, actually..... I do think adaptive you will either like or adapt to (so to speak) but going into Sport on mine makes the steering as sharp as I would want... if VSS made it even quicker to turn at speed I think I'd hate it. (Or plant the car in a bush!)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

Can you control the settings?

I.e. Sport mode only changes the steering and not the autobox?

or are you forced to use what BMW has set for transmission, steering etc

VSS removed email has been sent much happier now, just need to decide on the Adaptive. I like the idea of it as i do around 80 miles a day on the M6/M62 hence ECO PRO as it is generally 40mph in a queue.

330D for the weekends when i can have some fun
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
IoWfan
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Can you control the settings?

I.e. Sport mode only changes the steering and not the autobox?

or are you forced to use what BMW has set for transmission, steering etc

VSS removed email has been sent much happier now, just need to decide on the Adaptive. I like the idea of it as i do around 80 miles a day on the M6/M62 hence ECO PRO as it is generally 40mph in a queue.

330D for the weekends when i can have some fun
Yes you can choose options for Sport mode (with my set-up)..... I have the sport auto box as well as the adaptive suspension ... I can choose whether the gearbox AND suspension is is placed in Sport mode, OR gearbox only, OR suspension only. In fact I am about to alter the settings in that way to NOT select the sport option for the gearbox when I go into Sport mode...... If I want the sporty gearbox settings I can always shove the gearstick to the left and voila....

The STEERING, tho' hmmm.... I have just checked in the car... the options in Sport mode are "Drivetrain" &/or "Chassis" ... Chassis = suspension & steering together, and Drivetrain = gearbox as far as I can see (!!)

Hope that helps....

Last edited by IoWfan; 11-01-2013 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0