F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > People are inconsiderate
Extreme Powerhouse

05-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
People are inconsiderate

I know that there are multiple threads dedicated to venting, so I apologize in advance.

I stopped by our local pizza spot tonight, which I do every week. I generally park in the same spot, but it was occupied tonight. I ultimately parked with the driver side against a curb, which left approximately two feet between the passenger door and the first of a double line.

As I am conversing with the owner and the staff, an older model car zips through the parking lot, catching our attention. She parks over both lines, flips her door open without a care in the world and hits my passenger door. Both of the gentlemen that I was speaking with said "did she just hit your car?" We watch as a hippie woman and an 80's glam rock man get out of the car. They look at my door and then walk into the restaurant next door.

I absolutely despise inconsiderate people. Luckily, there was only a small spec on the door handle, so I didn't mention anything to the couple.

Happy Friday F3x Land.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #2
Seattle_435i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Sorry to hear man, that is why I park as far away as possible. Why didnt you confront them?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I never park anywhere close to anything with my car. Luckily I live in the suburbs and parking lots generally are large and you can easily park far away from everyone. I find Americans to be very inconsiderate of others private property in general.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_435i View Post
Sorry to hear man, that is why I park as far away as possible. Why didnt you confront them?
I always park in BFE, but this is a small parking lot, so I did not have a choice. I would have confronted them if there was a dent, scratch or worse.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #5
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I never park anywhere close to anything with my car. Luckily I live in the suburbs and parking lots generally are large and you can easily park far away from everyone. I find Americans to be very inconsiderate of others private property in general.
I'm in suburbia too (Irvine) and I always park in far away regardless of the car that I am driving. Unfortunately, this parking lot is tiny, which I why I left a lot of space between my door and the next spot. She literally crossed over a double line.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Man this boils my blood. I hate people that don't give a crap about other people's property. I'd want to torch their car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

Seriously uncool I had this happen to me at my dealer lot, first time picking up the car after I bought it. I was pretty furious considering I haven't even gotten to drive it at all. The sales associate was showing another client a car which was parked next to my newly bought car and as I'm ecstatically learning all the ins and outs of my first BMW *thud* I hear and see a door hit my door. When I confront the SA they say it's not her problem. people suck and the financing guy who is finalizing my paperwork has the audacity to say it happens right? Sure maybe in a packed Walmart or target parking lot, not in YOUR lot when I'm picking up my brand new car that I didn't even get to drive. If you guys want to know what dealer pm me and I'll let you know who to stay away from. No respect for even their own products, makes me sick
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Back when i was driving my moms car someones cars door hit my door. The person said sorry and walked off. They chipped the paint. Just said sorry and walke off. So i took a nail from my toolbox in the trunk and scraped his drivers side door all the way back to the trunk. Exposed all the metal. His car was a 2009+ acura tl. His age was probably arpund 30-40

Now if they chipped my bmw i would probably pop all 4 of his tires
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

When I park as far as I can (not close to ANY business), into a HUGE parking lot, I usually find 1 (one) crappy car parked right beside me when I go back to the car.
And the rest of the parking lot is almost empty.

WT/%"?"?", isn't the parking lot big enough !!!

My wife loves to tease me, telling me that my car is a junk-magnet...
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

My favourite incident...

I pulled up to the curb at BMW Waterloo few years back in my E92 M3, and just as I was opening the door a chick in a Pontiac Solstice drove into the spot beside me, and my door made contact with hers. Infuriatingly, under Ontario law, I think this made me at fault! Anyway, no problem. She said "Don't worry about it, my husband's an asshole and he pay the bills.".
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
dmath
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A supercharged box of giggles

Door dingers make me want to believe in karma. Glad there wasn't any real damage this time.

BTW, not unique to Americans. We lived in Europe for a few years and I've never gotten so many dings as I did there.
      05-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #12
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

I hate people who do this - why can't people respect other people's car? I don't care if you car is worth $500 or $500,000, carefully open your freaking doors!
      05-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #13
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Yesterday I was in a huge, practically deserted parking lot with very large spots. As I'm sitting in my car getting ready to back out an SUV comes whipping around the corner and parks diagonally in the spot next to me. The spots were not diagonal. She was so crooked her rear fender was almost blocking me in on one side, while her front corner was over the line on the other side.

She hopped out and went about her business while I was looking out my window to see if I could back out without hitting her..... It's almost like she was trying to take up 3 spots on purpose, except she was just a really horrible driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 03:36 AM   #14
AppStoreMoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M-Sport

I've given up on caring. I'm not sure if people doing this are inconsiderate or just careless. People that don't care about cars simply don't pay attention, and most are not hitting your car on purpose.

I do know where you're coming from. It used to bother me as well. But here's something else to consider. My car lost about $18k of its value in the 18 months I owned it. The door dents don't make it any less fun to drive, and the value of the thing is headed straight to $0 with or without the dents/scratches.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 04:56 AM   #15
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i_4D View Post
When I park as far as I can (not close to ANY business), into a HUGE parking lot, I usually find 1 (one) crappy car parked right beside me when I go back to the car.

Happens to me all the time too. I have a great picture of my car in an empty lot, then a minivan parked right next to me, an SUV parked behind me, and some POS parked on the other side. The rest of the lot, including about 20 spots CLOSER to the store, were empty.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 05:08 AM   #16
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Many of my friends don't understand why I am a freak when it comes to parking, but because of people like this, I always park as far away as possible in a spot where I can open my door wide open and it still won't touch the line. And if there isn't a good spot, I will simply skip that restaurant or occasion and move on.

But one thing I learned is, no matter how much space you park away, people don't look at the lines. They park relative to the position of your car, so often times people who park beside me touch the line or even cross the line, just because there's a lot of space in between. This frustrates me a lot.

I know this may be crazy, but I kinda want to carry some cones in the trunk and put them around the car so they won't park close to it, but then I think it will attract too many attention. If anyone has a better way, let us know please! I have always wished that there's a way where a car can prevent door dings, kind of like how two North facing magnets would repel. If a 3rd party manufacturer or an automotive company invents this, I would not mind paying a huge premium to get this feature.

What's very interesting is that usually the best parking experience is at a parking lot with no lines (e.g. unpaved lot) as people usually leave a huge distance and gap in between.

I wish these inconsiderate people never existed. Such disrespect.

Quote:

Believe me. You're not the only one. I always attract the biggest cars beside me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post
Seriously uncool I had this happen to me at my dealer lot, first time picking up the car after I bought it. I was pretty furious considering I haven't even gotten to drive it at all. The sales associate was showing another client a car which was parked next to my newly bought car and as I'm ecstatically learning all the ins and outs of my first BMW *thud* I hear and see a door hit my door. When I confront the SA they say it's not her problem. people suck and the financing guy who is finalizing my paperwork has the audacity to say it happens right? Sure maybe in a packed Walmart or target parking lot, not in YOUR lot when I'm picking up my brand new car that I didn't even get to drive. If you guys want to know what dealer pm me and I'll let you know who to stay away from. No respect for even their own products, makes me sick
That's really uncool. I usually think that people who go to dealership would have at least some level of respect, especially since they also drive a BMW. I have lost all faith in humanity now, in regards to parking.

dL

Last edited by dL.; 05-17-2014 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #17
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I'm always careful to leave as much room as possible when I park even when I was driving a wreck, but it seems 99% of people don't give a damn these days about others, its even the same where I work, I park as far away from the building in a secure car park with about 50 empty spaces and some idiot has to park right next to me
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 07:41 AM   #18
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Tell me about it.

Just last night I had a friend over and we just BBQ'd and watched some TV. At around 2 AM he left to go back home and I immediately went to bed since I was exhausted. I put my phone on silent and went upstairs.

I wake up just now to a voicemail from my friend who was over and he was saying how there was a guy in our neighborhood urinating and spitting on a VW Beetle parked on the street and was so drunk he could barely stand. He wanted my opinion if he should call the police since it was my neighborhood.

I wish I was awake for the call because I absolutely would've called the police. No reason to mistreat someone's property like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #19
M5Blood
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
I hate people who do this - why can't people respect other people's car? I don't care if you car is worth $500 or $500,000, carefully open your freaking doors!
I think if your car is nicer then the car they drive, they "accidentally" swing there doors wide open and put a nice little ding in the door. Why can't people just be happy with what they have!
2006 E60 M5
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #20
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
I know that there are multiple threads dedicated to venting, so I apologize in advance.

I stopped by our local pizza spot tonight, which I do every week. I generally park in the same spot, but it was occupied tonight. I ultimately parked with the driver side against a curb, which left approximately two feet between the passenger door and the first of a double line.

As I am conversing with the owner and the staff, an older model car zips through the parking lot, catching our attention. She parks over both lines, flips her door open without a care in the world and hits my passenger door. Both of the gentlemen that I was speaking with said "did she just hit your car?" We watch as a hippie woman and an 80's glam rock man get out of the car. They look at my door and then walk into the restaurant next door.

I absolutely despise inconsiderate people. Luckily, there was only a small spec on the door handle, so I didn't mention anything to the couple.

Happy Friday F3x Land.
story of my life, you did the right thing unfortunately there's absolutely nothing you can say to this kind of people, not only they just don't get it, if you tried to explained it to them they will think you are crazy and that it's just not a big deal, man do I hate when that happens!
All we can do is park as far as possible....so far that people will think twice about walking that far lol
      05-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #21
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

I got lucky today.

Parked at my usual far spot at the gym where most people usually don't park. But for some reason it got busier than usual so the area I parked also got filled.

I was fortunate that I didn't get a ding, but this old pick up truck was parking quite close to me almost touching my line but still managed to stay in his spot. Thankfully, I always ensure that I can open my door completely and it would not go over the line. That's my benchmark for distance.

I just don't get why people DONT LOOK AT THE LINES. When I give you extra space, it doesn't mean you abuse it and lean more towards me.

I just hate how people don't show respect for parking. Is it really hard to park your car straight so we can all respect each other's gap distance?

dL
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #22
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AR M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:

THIS!!! And it is not just occasionally. It is almost every single time. You can't park far enough away because there is nowhere that is too far away, except your garage at home.