F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Business to Engineering
Extreme Powerhouse

11-08-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
Letsrunem8
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Business to Engineering

Has anyone gone from an undergrad discipline in business to a graduate program in Engineering? Preferably Mechanical or Industrial?

And is it even possible?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
timn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Anything is possible!

Most (?) colleges will require that you take some undergrad engineering classes (or prove to them you're a genius) before you are allowed to take graduate level classes.

It's like if you were to get a graduate degree in economics and you had an engineering degree. They would want to make sure you knew basic economics and finance before taking graduate level classes.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Fatty Duckets
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

I am not completely positive but from what I gather, you should be able to do what you are looking to do. You may have to take non-credited per-qualifying courses for the Masters degree in order to enter the program. Nonetheless, your career path sounds awesome and would be very unique/desirable, specifically in Project Management/Sales related to Engineering.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

should be doable, but most likely you'll have to take a bunch of math and engineering courses (also possible that after a few you'll decide not to, engineering's pretty rough lol)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Possible, but as others have said, you'll need to have taken at least the core engineering classes in whatever discipline you want to go into and do really well in them (e.g., above 3.5 GPA). Depending on how good the grad school you're applying to is, you might have a hard time getting in. I'm assuming you're talking an MS program, not PhD.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Epacy2
Major
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

so you want to go from a relatively easy major to arguably the most difficult curriculum in higher education? Did you take any of the prerequisits?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy2 View Post
lol
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Epacy2
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
so you want to go from a relatively easy major to arguably the most difficult curriculum in higher education? Did you take any of the prerequisits?
'Mericuh needs people who don't just take the easy street all their life.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I am trying to do the opposite, career-wise. I got my BSME and currently work as a mechanical engineer, but I'm studying for the GMAT and thinking about going to grad school for an MBA.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Epacy2
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogs08 View Post
I am trying to do the opposite, career-wise. I got my BSME and currently work as a mechanical engineer, but I'm studying for the GMAT and thinking about going to grad school for an MBA.
Bout to finish my second MBA class right now.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

^ i completed 4 mba classes (night school) before calling it quits. don't regret starting but i think i got out just in time. i got a lot from hanging out (after class beers, homework/project groups), but that fell off sharply after the first term.

the final class at that particular program was simulation. so you're telling me it took a graduate degree to learn how to pretend? lol

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 11-08-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Epacy2
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloziROTHTOR View Post
^ i completed 4 mba classes (night school) before calling it quits. don't regret starting but i think i got out just in time. i got a lot from hanging out (after class beers, homework/project groups), but that fell off sharply after the first term.

the final class at that particular program was simulation. so you're telling me it took a graduate degree to learn how to pretend? lol
Fake it till you make it!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsrunem8 View Post
Has anyone gone from an undergrad discipline in business to a graduate program in Engineering? Preferably Mechanical or Industrial?

And is it even possible?
LOL good luck. You will need a lot of prerequisites to even begin taking ME courses. Unless you have a strong math background, you'll be in over your head. Industrial or Systems will be your easier engineering disciplines.

I did Computer Science undergrad and finished my M.S. in Systems Engineering. SE is even fake engineering, and I still needed help with statistical calculus homework from my M.S.EE brother.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I have both an BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering from two very prestigious engineering schools in the country.

I wouldn't go into engineering if I had to do it all over again. The opportunities and pay just aren't there (although friends and other non-engineers have a huge mis-perception it does). Obama and Romney both say this country is in need of engineers, but my experience has been the complete opposite. I've been fighting for a decent engineering job since day 1 of graduating. Opportunities are few and far in between and 99.99% of engineers don't work on the interesting things like the Space Shuttle. Mechanical and Industrial engineering are both closely tied to manuafcturing and we all know which direction this country has gone with manufacturing. Don't listen to the pres, it ain't coming back (at least in our lifetime). I've directly closed down factories and transfered thousands of American-made products to be made in China. That was my engineering job for 7 years.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I wouldn't go into engineering if I had to do it all over again
I couldn't agree more - I went to school for elec & computer eng and now do nothing of the sort - pure business ... but actually started my career in civil engineering.

What I found out is that I have a hobbyist interest in engineering, science, and math but I'm not particularly talented in it and like Joey said, it's really not a great career unless you LOVE it.

If you've never worked as an engineer (really if you've worked less than 5 as a full time engineer) then I'd be VERY cautious about committing to school, especially grad school that you have to remediate for.

My wife has a top 3 MBA and is a gmat tutor (as a hobby): I can't tell you the number of people she talks to that regret going into engineering and are now getting MBAs.

Speaking of MBAs ... I wouldn't recommend that either unless you're top 5 or have some reason or sweet deal like an employer paying for ALL of it such as with P&G or General Mills or somewhere with an MBA program that covers flights and most expenses.

These days your only sure bet is ... law school
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #17
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Only do engineering if you have a genuine interest in engineering and building things. I did electrical engineering at a top 3 school because I really liked it and am doing fine. BUT there were plenty of people in my program who just did it because their parents told them to, and they didn't do well and were not happy.

Don't do engineering as a way to make money. There are many better ways to make more money with less work.

If you're going to do mechanical engineering, the place that's really hot is robotics. But understand that that area of MechE is a lot more like computer science and electrical engineering than traditional MechE. Lots of control systems, algorithms, coding, and embedded systems building.

As the other poster said industrial engineering is largely tied to manufacturing, and IMHO isn't that hot right now.

Future high-tech industry is going to follow the Apple model:
- Designed in California
- Manufactured in China
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
Letsrunem8
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I know there is some hope now. lol Project management is ultimately what I want to do. I'm great at math, and have a few classes that would be pre reqs knocked out of the way. I know the Six Sigma credentials can also help me get there, but having a masters in engineering just sounds a lot more appealing to me.

I've heard good and bad things about engineering degrees. I'm leaning more towards Industrial, since building things doesn't grab my attention.Industrial has more of a business aspect to it. I'm sure it will be beneficial for what I am looking to do, if not, it is always a solid back up plan.

P.S . My undergrad degree is in Finance & Marketing
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsrunem8 View Post
Project management is ultimately what I want to do
Voice of jaded cynic speaking but here's my rant ...

Then just go do it! A PMI is easy to get and most corporate PM jobs don't even require it. Few PMs get hired because of their degree, much less what it's in ... they only care about what you can DO.

If you're paying for it, then for the love of Gods just get a PM job at any company. If you're not paying for it then use the money to fund 2 years of salary and offer to work for free for a CEO of the best PM company you can find.

College in this country is totally out of control.

/rant over - sorry, not directed at you ... it's all these damn proposition in California ... they're driving me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
Epacy2
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
These days your only sure bet is ... law school
No, IT. You can make a grip with only certifications and no school.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
timn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

http://www.quora.com/To-become-a-pro...or-a-CS-degree

http://www.quora.com/Product-Managem...n-CS-or-an-MBA

Take these with a grain of salt.

I think the path of least resistance for you is to join a company where you are a net positive contributor where people respect you and then you can try branching out into product management.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #22
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timn View Post
I think the path of least resistance for you is to join a company where you are a net positive contributor where people respect you and then you can try branching out into product management.
Awesome summary. Here are the 3 things a Harvard speaker told the grads to worry about:

(1.) What are you going to do to make a living?

(2.) How are you going to maintain your relationships?

(3.) How are you going to stay out of prison?

The third one always gets polite laughter until the speaker reveals he was Jeff Skillings' roommate.

Anyway, Tim says it best: go work at a company and build relationships - these will pay you compound interest for life because these will be the people that will hire you or get you hired.
Appreciate 0