F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Variable BMW High Beam Assistant in USA?
GetBMWParts

07-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #133
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
what are the name of the values ?
+1

Can you share this with us please?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #134
JimCash
Always a Mystery to Solve
Canada
Rep
Drives: F31 328ixM & E39 540iA

For those doing Canadian orders this High Beam Assist issue (and others) is confusing.

If you look at the features for the F30 sedans (especially the 335) you will see they offer some features that are not offered for the F32 wagon.
There are also "some" options in other countries that are not offered in Canada that can be ordered.

BUT - they are all available if you go the "special order" route - you will have to have your Sales advisor contact the correct person at BMW Canade to get the extra features.

I recently got a 2014 328 M sport wagon with the following options that are not shown as available on the Canadian F31.

- Moonstone Individual paint (X04)
- Roof rails - 3AT Satin Aluminium (black is standard wiht M Sport)
- Wheels - “standard” 400M 18" & Performance tires (2PE). (declined the 19" Msport)
- Parking Assistant (5DP).
- Adaptive Control Headlights (524 ) with (8S4 decode variable distribution)
- High Beam Assist (5AC) with (5AP decoding - removes the “anti-dazzle” functionality)
- Headlight Washers (502)
- Speed Limit Info (8TH)
- Unbadged (302).
- Head restraints, rear "all folding" (5DC)

There are additional charges for each of these and of course the one time "special order" charge of $400.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Jim Cash
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #135
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCash View Post
For those doing Canadian orders this High Beam Assist issue (and others) is confusing.

If you look at the features for the F30 sedans (especially the 335) you will see they offer some features that are not offered for the F32 wagon.
There are also "some" options in other countries that are not offered in Canada that can be ordered.

BUT - they are all available if you go the "special order" route - you will have to have your Sales advisor contact the correct person at BMW Canade to get the extra features.

I recently got a 2014 328 M sport wagon with the following options that are not shown as available on the Canadian F31.

- Moonstone Individual paint (X04)
- Roof rails - 3AT Satin Aluminium (black is standard wiht M Sport)
- Wheels - “standard” 400M 18" & Performance tires (2PE). (declined the 19" Msport)
- Parking Assistant (5DP).
- Adaptive Control Headlights (524 ) with (8S4 decode variable distribution)
- High Beam Assist (5AC) with (5AP decoding - removes the “anti-dazzle” functionality)
- Headlight Washers (502)
- Speed Limit Info (8TH)
- Unbadged (302).
- Head restraints, rear "all folding" (5DC)

There are additional charges for each of these and of course the one time "special order" charge of $400.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Jim Cash
So it looks like Canada doesn't have the full Adaptive Headlights by default either.
      08-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #136
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

@Frogman and @KTULA or other who can chime in....

Sorry, but I could not find a similar thread under F15. Could you kindly provide full codes for enabling this option, including adjusting the speed settings for when they come on?

I have '14 F15 with "adaptive full LED lights", "automatic high beams", driver assist package, ACC stop & go + active driving assistant.

I would like to enable anti dazzle by taking the code to any coder in the San Francisco Bay Area (it is beyond my ability), and would like to have one set of "to do" for the coder.

I am thoroughly disappointment with inability to plug and play tail lights with amber indicators. I am hoping to resolve the anti dazzle at minimum.

Thank you both in advance, and I hope to see something on the F15 thread in this regard.

p.s. would be much obliged for a referral to a coder in the SF Bay Area as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #137
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBianco View Post
@Frogman and @KTULA or other who can chime in....

Sorry, but I could not find a similar thread under F15. Could you kindly provide full codes for enabling this option, including adjusting the speed settings for when they come on?

I have '14 F15 with "adaptive full LED lights", "automatic high beams", driver assist package, ACC stop & go + active driving assistant.

I would like to enable anti dazzle by taking the code to any coder in the San Francisco Bay Area (it is beyond my ability), and would like to have one set of "to do" for the coder.

I am thoroughly disappointment with inability to plug and play tail lights with amber indicators. I am hoping to resolve the anti dazzle at minimum.

Thank you both in advance, and I hope to see something on the F15 thread in this regard.

p.s. would be much obliged for a referral to a coder in the SF Bay Area as well.
Detailed coding instructions are in post #32: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=32

I have not played with any of the individual speed settings, the defaults work fine for me.

Check here for SF area coders: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=693949
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #138
KnightRider
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
Well, I decided that rather than write up a long and mostly duplicate procedure of things that are already in other instructions, I'll just try to describe the procedure here. It's only a few different steps from normal coding operations.

1. Before you try to do anything else, you need to to change some E-Sys settings.

Start E-Sys and click on Options, then Settings... A settings window will be displayed, click on the Options tab. You need to UNCHECK the "Update VCM after TAL execution" and "Update MSM after TAL execution" switches (Thanks Shawn!). This prevents Code/FDL Code operations from writing modified FA's back to the car. It should look like this:

Now proceed to connect to the car and then go to the Expert Mode, Coding like normal.

2. Read the Vehicle Order and the SVT as usual.

3. Now, in the Vehicle Order section, click Save and save the file to disk. Saving the VO will enable the Edit button.

4. Click on the Edit button. This will load the FA editor. Edit the FA as needed (in this case, remove 5AP and 8S4, or in the case of enabling EBT, change 6NH to 6NK or 6NS) and click on the Blue Floppy icon on the toolbar to save the changes to the HDD. Then click the Green Left Arrow Icon on the toolbar to go back to expert coding mode.

5. A window will pop up asking if you want to reload the FA into the coding window. You do want to reload the FA, so click Yes.

E-Sys will now return to the Coding module and will be loaded with the modified FA.

6. You can now activate the FA and VO Code the necessary ECU's.
For Glare Free High Beams, VO Code FEM_BODY and FLA/KAFAS2 (depending on what you have).
For Enhanced Bluetooth VO Code CMB_MEDIA and HU_CIC/HU_ENTRY or just HU_NBT (depending on what you have).
The modified FA will be used to initialize the ECU settings that you VO code, but the modified FA will not be written back to the car.

7. If any of the ECU's you just VO coded had previous custom FDL coding, then these FDL setting changes will have to be re-applied. VO Coding resets all ECU FDL settings back to factory default, which is why the ECU's are VO coded in the first place!

If you want/need to write a modified FA to the car some some reason, you can still use the "How to change FA in F-series car" procedure. See :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...18&postcount=2
I tried the above steps today on my 2014 335 GT. Everything seemed to work, but when I tested out the high beams tonight, it was just standard HBA.

When all is done with your method, when I read the FA will 5AP and 8S4 still show, or should they disappear? When I did the steps, and then VO Coded the FEM_BODY AND KAFAS2, I read the FA and I saw 5AP and 8S4 still there. May need to try again tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #139
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider View Post
I tried the above steps today on my 2014 335 GT. Everything seemed to work, but when I tested out the high beams tonight, it was just standard HBA.

When all is done with your method, when I read the FA will 5AP and 8S4 still show, or should they disappear? When I did the steps, and then VO Coded the FEM_BODY AND KAFAS2, I read the FA and I saw 5AP and 8S4 still there. May need to try again tomorrow.
The method I documented does NOT write the modified VO back to the car (on purpose), so if you re-read the FA, the 5AP and 8S4 code will still show up. That's by design and is expected.

You need a really dark area to drive though to see the effect of this change. It can be very subtle.

From post #54:

Quote:
There are a few ways to see if they are working the new way.

First, make sure the light switch is in the A position.

1. If you have fogs (you have an M-Sport, so you don't), after starting the car, turn HBA on, put the car in D (if auto), then turn the fogs on and off. You should see the beams move as fogs turn the new features off.

2. Point your car at a wall and you should notice a different light shape to the beams than without this being coded. Before, there were 2 roundish beams, the right being higher than the left. With the new coding, the beams are very flat and square and you should see two square steps from left to right.

3. I've noticed that the speed limits noted above are not always enforced. When the HB turns off when I come to a stop, it turns back on at about 20-25 mph, not always the 44 mph threshold as stated before. It's not random, but there is definitely more to the algorithm than just these 2 parameters.

You definitely need a dark road for the HBA to kick in. Street lights, signs, etc will keep them off.

When I coded this, I kept the original .ncd file and compared it to the new one (Thanks to TokenMaster for his wonderful NcdCafdTool). You can check to see if the glare free mode was enabled by checking some values in FEM_BODY and FLA (this is NOT a complete list):

FEM_BODY / 3073 / C_AFS_ENA should now be Fxxenable (was Fxxdisable)
FEM_BODY / 3073 / C_HBA_ENA should now be Fxxenable (was Fxxdisable)

FLA / 3000 / Lucid_Image_Height should now be Lucid (7A) (was Non-Lucid).
FLA / 3000 / Lucid_HL_Height should now be Lucid (40) (was Non-Lucid)

FLA / 3001 / DFL_Vehicle should now be Verbaut (was NichtVerbaut)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #140
KnightRider
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 GT

Quote:
The method I documented does NOT write the modified VO back to the car (on purpose), so if you re-read the FA, the 5AP and 8S4 code will still show up. That's by design and is expected.

You need a really dark area to drive though to see the effect of this change. It can be very subtle.

From post #54:
I did test in a very dark area and the high beams seemed to turn off about a 1/2 mile away from oncoming traffic. I will test using the fog lights tonight's to see if I can notice a difference.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #141
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Question for you guys that have this coded. I have this on my car and it seems like it hits the back of vehicles I'm following with too much light. It'll have it dim and then noticeably steer in some high beam. Seems to piss people off in front of me, and my wife commented when I followed her that it was really bright. Half waiting to incite a road rage incident. Any thoughts?
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:04 PM   #142
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
Question for you guys that have this coded. I have this on my car and it seems like it hits the back of vehicles I'm following with too much light. It'll have it dim and then noticeably steer in some high beam. Seems to piss people off in front of me, and my wife commented when I followed her that it was really bright. Half waiting to incite a road rage incident. Any thoughts?
Mine seem to hit the car in front of me just right. The beam stops about half way up the car and does not go into the rear window at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #143
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Is there anything in the coding that changes sensitivity that might affect this?
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #144
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is there anything in the coding that changes sensitivity that might affect this?
Not that I know of. I did not tweak any of the FLA settings, I just removes 5AP and 8S4 and VO coded FEM_BODY and FLA3.

Did you manually adjust your headlights by chance? I've seen others do this. They feel that the beams point too low, so they raise them.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #145
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

I have not adjusted them... yet. Humorously I've asked in another thread about exactly that because my beams are REALLY low on dim (don't hit bumper on car in front of me at a stoplight with a car length between).

I'll keep an eye on it and maybe pull the coding out if I have to. I love the brights on the ditch though with all the deer around here.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #146
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have not adjusted them... yet. Humorously I've asked in another thread about exactly that because my beams are REALLY low on dim (don't hit bumper on car in front of me at a stoplight with a car length between).

I'll keep an eye on it and maybe pull the coding out if I have to. I love the brights on the ditch though with all the deer around here.
Maybe remove the coding and take it to the dealer to see if the beams are out of adjustment/alignment. If they do have to adjust them, then re-enable the feature and see if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #147
rishi44
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F25 Diesel

Do any of you guys know if the High Beam Assistant hardware is needed for the F25? Or, can the automatic high beams be enabled through coding?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #148
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

Anyone got this to work for their F32 with LED package?
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #149
Jhero
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: W40 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon73 View Post
Anyone got this to work for their F32 with LED package?
Coded my F36 with LED/SLI/HBA and it works perfectly as far as I can tell.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #150
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I am resurrecting this thread in order to let F3x owners know about a key development on how to enable this feature correctly.

A short explanation of the issue and coding instructions are in the attached PDF.

Feedback by F8x owners who have tried the coding in the PDF can be found in this thread (start at post #246): Adaptive LED lighting turned on-wow.

If you have LEDs and HBA (unfortunately, both are required), you should really give this a try, as it is a great feature when it operates as designed.

NGHB How To.pdf

Edit: Please see post #159

Last edited by dmnc02; 07-31-2015 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #151
TMD29
Don't care
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 SO M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
I am resurrecting this thread in order to let F3x owners know about a key development on how to enable this feature correctly.

A short explanation of the issue and coding instructions are in the attached PDF.

Feedback by F8x owners who have tried the coding in the PDF can be found in this thread (start at post #246): Adaptive LED lighting turned on-wow.

If you have LEDs and HBA (unfortunately, both are required), you should really give this a try, as it is a great feature when it operates as designed.

Attachment 1248966
I made the changes you described in both LHM modules. I must say this made a big difference. I didn't get flashed at all by oncoming traffic and I could see the tunnel take shape when approaching the vehicle in front of me without glaring the preceding car.

Great work!
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 05:47 PM   #152
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD29 View Post
I made the changes you described in both LHM modules. I must say this made a big difference. I didn't get flashed at all by oncoming traffic and I could see the tunnel take shape when approaching the vehicle in front of me without glaring the preceding car.

Great work!
Glad to be able to contribute something to the community.
      07-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #153
Halsifer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post

Attachment 1248966
Good stuff, I like how you made it look super official, haha. I'm going to add these code changes to my little cheat sheet if ya don't mind.

I'm super bummed out that F32's were able to be equipped with LEDs and not F30's. Lighting is a big thing for me, and a fully functioning Active High Beam with proper tunneling would have been nice, but it's not in my budget... Maybe I could find a way to retrofit in the future if I have the opportunity.
2014 BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport [Sold]
2010 Audi A6 3.0T [Sold]

Last edited by Halsifer; 07-22-2015 at 07:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #154
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
Good stuff, I like how you made it look super official, haha. I'm going to add these code changes to my little cheat sheet if ya don't mind.

I'm super bummed out that F32's were able to be equipped with LEDs and not F30's. Lighting is a big thing for me, and a fully functioning Active High Beam with proper tunneling would have been nice, but it's not in my budget...
Sure, it would be great to add it to your cheat sheet for ease of reference.

The real bummer is that BMW chose to handicap the adaptive Xenons fitted to US cars by not including the movable masking cover (walze) that is present on the Euro adaptive Xenons, otherwise we could probably find a way to enable this on Xenons too.