F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New 320i vs CPO 328i
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: ?
2012 CPO 328i 40 40.82%
Brand New 320i 58 59.18%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

07-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Wink

Would it be a F30 328i or E90 328i CPO ??

Advantage of CPO:
- if it will be the F30, you get more power than in the 320i obviously.
- Lots of room to negociate, negociate hard... they are making lots of profits on a CPO, Chop off at least a couple of thousands...
- you avoid the biggest part of the Depreciation.
- RWD (a change from what you used to have)

Disadvantage of CPO:
- if it will be the E90, i would NOT recommand since it have that anemic transmission.
- if it will be the F30, it could be a loaner being sold to you. (too early to have any leased coming back).
- it's not a brand new car obviously

Advantage of the F30 320i:
- you can spec it the way you want it.
- drive slower to save gas and be safe

Disadvantage of the F30 320i:
- Depreciation on the 320i the first year.
- sensible engine (unless you are starting a family, that wont be a problem, since you will be driving slower and saving gas/money)
- if you are planning to have a family, the new Accords and Huyndai are better value cars, with bigger power !

STICK to you BUdget!

PS:
I am not voting because, either choice are bad from my respect.
I would choose something else for that kind of budget...

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 07-12-2013 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: I am not going to vote ....
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
ep_83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Not sure about the price but you are talking about a car that is now nearly 2 years old with only enhanced BT, metallic paint and satellite radio as options. It probably retailed for about $38K and would have a residual of about $24K after 3 years. The low mileage is good. If you can get it for closer to $27K (my very rough guess) it's a better deal IMO.

Should I just offer him 27k and say take it or leave it? I'm worried he'll leave it lol. This is the lowest priced f30 in the entire country as far as autotrader goes and I'm sure he knows that. I just feel like I don't have alot of leverage here. Any haggle tips?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #25
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep_83 View Post
Should I just offer him 27k and say take it or leave it? I'm worried he'll leave it lol. This is the lowest priced f30 in the entire country as far as autotrader goes and I'm sure he knows that. I just feel like I don't have alot of leverage here. Any haggle tips?
Work with another dealer and let them fight each other

You are not in a rush. You are in power, you are the one paying...

You can get the F30 anywhere
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
ep_83
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Work with another dealer and let them fight each other

You are not in a rush. You are in power, you are the one paying...

You can get the F30 anywhere

Great point. I'm in no rush at all. Maybe I'll just create an email account and start emailing and calling different dealers.

Btw, if a used car is not CPO'd can I buy the BMW gold package or is this only available on new cars. I read somewhere that CPO and the Gold package warranty are the exact same coverage. I think I read that on Bimmerfest from a sales manager.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #27
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep_83 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm still shopping around for a car and found a used 328i about 5 hours away. Is this a good deal? It seems to be pretty close to bare, but it's only 29,497.00 and has 7,290 miles. I feel like it's too good to be true. I'm also concerned that it isn't certified. Why wouldn't they certify a car this new with that kind of mileage? It's a 2012 black sapphire with black interior which is the color combo I want. Here's the description:

"Spotless, ONLY 7,287 Miles! EPA 34 MPG Hwy/23 MPG City! Rear Air, Head Airbag, CD Player, Dual Zone A/C, Keyless Start, SATELLITE RADIO, 8-SPEED STEPTRONIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMIS... BMW ASSIST W/ENHANCED BLUETOOTH & USB... AND MORE!======KEY FEATURES INCLUDE: Rear Air, Turbocharged, CD Player, Aluminum Wheels, Keyless Start, Dual Zone A/C. Keyless Entry, Remote Trunk Release, Privacy Glass, Child Safety Locks, Steering Wheel Controls. ======OPTION PACKAGES: BMW ASSIST W/ENHANCED BLUETOOTH & USB online info services, SATELLITE RADIO, 8-SPEED STEPTRONIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION normal, sport & manual shift modes. 328i with Black Sapphire Metallic exterior and Black interior features a 4 Cylinder Engine with 240 HP at 5000 RPM*. Serviced here, Dealer Maintained."
It's hard to say, but I'm also surprised it isn't certified. In that case, you'll want to have an independent 3rd party inspect it to make sure it wasn't in an accident/resprayed etc.

I guess I'm just paranoid, but the only way I'd buy a lightly used car is from a third party or after a thorough inspection. Heard too many cases (not just online) of dealers trying to resell lemon returns, cars in serious accidents and cars that have other serious issues (flooding). Some of these won't show up on the carfax, so you need to be cautious.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #28
Blue_Sky
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: --

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep_83
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking the forums for a while now. It's been VERY informative. I have never owned a BMW, but I've always loved the 3 series. I did however consider other entry level luxury sports sedans, but after reading countless reviews from magazine articles and watching countless comparison videos, I knew that if I got anything other than a BMW, I was going to regret it. The 328i seemed to win every single magazine review I've come across with the exception of a motortrend video where they picked the Cadillac ATS in a head to head despite the transmission being a "dog".

The only cars I strongly considered were the Audi A4 because of the price and BMW like following and the Cadillac ATS because of the great reviews it got and because I get a discount on GM cars through my employer. I ditched the idea of an Audi because they're re-doing it and because the base A4 that is $32,500 has no options and is FWD which I'm trying to get away from. The ATS just didn't wow me as far as styling and I can't imagine buying a car that costs more than 30k and not loving the way it looks.

Sorry for the long story. I just wanted to let everyone know I have been giving this very careful consideration and that I'm not a "badge whore" lol. I say that because I am now considering a brand new BMW 320i and I don't want to be written off as some guy who wants a Bimmer for the sake of saying he drives a Bimmer. My budget is in the low 30k's. I know many will say that a new 328i is only a few thousand more and I'm not a penny pincher, but low 30 thousands is already a little bit of a stretch for me. I'm willing to do it though to have a car I love.

That's where I need your opinion. If you were working with the above budget would you get a CPO 328i that probably isn't a sport line or have a DHP or any type of sporting package or would you order a new 320i with the $1300 sport package (that's a great deal btw)? The CPO 328i's (f30) that I've seen are around 31k to 34k and have around 15k miles or less. I also figured a used car might be easier to haggle. From what I've read on here the very best deal you can get on a new Bimmer is about $500 over invoice if you find a dealer willing to do that (or ED which I assume will cost just as much when you add in travel expenses).

One more thing to take into account is that I've never owned a luxury sports sedan, so I'm kind of going into this with an ignorance is bliss type of attitude and I'm hoping a 320i might be more than enough for me. These are the cars I've owned and as you can see they're are nothing special so I'm thinking I won't be disappointed in the 320i's performance, but I'm not sure if I'll be blown away either:

1995 Eclipse GST

1999 Integra GS-R

2006 Civic SI

Has anyone driven both and if so, is there a major difference in overall driving experience? I found this post from someone who owns a 335xi and bought a 320i for his wife and found it rather interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Great reviews.

I really think the 320i is the deal of the century as far as BMW's are concerned, as the 320i I just drove felt EXACTLY like my 335 M Sport, with less power.

If I was in the market for a great daily, but didn't want to spend 328-335 money, the 320i would be my first choice. Fantastic car.

We just placed our order as well (320i xdrive)...can't wait!

I plan on keeping the car until the next 3 series rolls out so I'm not very interested in leasing. Sorry for the long read, but if you're bored feel free to chime in. Thanks! Looking forward to finally joinging the BMW family soon!
Hey there, I'm curious to learn what were your thoughts two years later. I just read this thread and feel that I'm in the same boat you were in 2 years ago between a brand new 320Xi or a CPO 328Xi due to budget constraints. Please advice and anyone feel free to pitch in, thanks..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #29
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Sky View Post
Hey there, I'm curious to learn what were your thoughts two years later. I just read this thread and feel that I'm in the same boat you were in 2 years ago between a brand new 320Xi or a CPO 328Xi due to budget constraints. Please advice and anyone feel free to pitch in, thanks..
I would only do the 328 if it was low miles, but also had a fair number of options. If you are choosing between a close to base 328 CPO, and a new 320 with a few options, I'd go with the 320. If you can find a 328 with more options, I'd do that.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #30
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I would only do the 328 if it was low miles, but also had a fair number of options. If you are choosing between a close to base 328 CPO, and a new 320 with a few options, I'd go with the 320. If you can find a 328 with more options, I'd do that.
Agree with this advice. A base 328i would be rather boring. As people suggested in this thread a couple of years ago, for similar $$ you can get a decently equipped brand new 320 (sport pkg + lighting pkg). The most important question is: have you test driven both? Without that, none of these comparison and package discussions are important.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #31
Minkia
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe w/ a clutch

what made my car buying decision easier for me was to create a spreadsheet and list the important factors while accomodating my budget. factors that are deal breakers and was not willing to compromise on were of course on top of the list. try that, go for a comprehensive test drive, keep a score on your spreadsheet (you may need to revise a few things here) and then go for a second test drive, take notes and by then you should have a good idea what you can and cannot live without.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #32
galon
Rep
Drives: bmw

Brand New 320i
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #33
iki4life
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i SportLine

Well I just bought a 2013 328i with 33k miles on it for 26k, and its SportLine....If your budget is 30-32k I don't see you having any problem finding a SportLine. You won't find one with 15k miles, but you can probably find one with about 25-35k miles. And to be honest, there really isn't a difference between 10k miles driven more when you factor in the price differential. Cars are made do be driven 150k+ miles. You will probably get tired of it and want to replace it by the time it even hits 100k.
My rule of thumb is always buy a used car from a dealership with upto 35k miles on it or less. You will find one in your budget easily. And buy the model that is currently on the road, not a past model. Cars change every 4-5 years...when the model is 2-3 years into its build, thats when you buy. By that time, most glitches and recalls are fixed and you know what you're getting into, and you also have the satisfaction of driving a current model.
Ive bought the following-
2013 Toyota Avalon with 18k miles for $21,600 (brand new is $30,000 or more)
2013 Lexus ES350 with 15k miles for $31,500 (brand new is $40,000 or more)
2013 BMW 328i with 33k miles for $26,200 (brand new is $44,000 or more w/ my package)

So thats 3 cars driven a total of ~70k miles and I probably said about $40,000 combined on all 3 of them. Thats a lot of money. And to top it off, when you decide to sell yours, it won't hurt your value as a 2nd owner as much as it did selling for the 1st owner since he bought it brand new.
Cars are the worst investment in the world. They only depreciate in value (unless you're jay leno) so I recommend you going with the used 328i. You will find one for 30-32k very easily and it'll hurt your wallet and heart less when you decide to sell it.
my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #34
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

if i could do it again i wouldnt mind the 320 fully iptioned out.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 08:40 PM   #35
exedba
Rep
Drives: 320i

Here are answers for the most common comparison on the subject. First of all, I agree and adding my vote for the statement below.

"Drive and find out the 'gap' between what you read/learn here prior to purchase and what you experienced during the actual test drive.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Until today (09/05/15), everything right above this line was a simple curiosity and hypothesis. Everything right after the line are reality (my experience today). I decided to place an order based on the driving dynamics and experiences those will appeal me the most (this was the rational I decided to follow before test drive irrespective of the budget but definitely based on my NEEDS).

BIG Thank you to the sales person who arranged the 6 cars (All 2016) to entertain my requests before I place an order without any time / driving distance constrain. I was give 6 keys all together to run tests back to back based on my request I sent a week prior.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Addressing here more than this original thread discussion (topic) deserves.

Its a simple comparison of the most common curiosity option/criteria for which have dedicated pages and pages of discussion here.

My experience today on

1. 320i Vs 328i

2. xDrive Vs. RWD

3. Manual Vs. Auto

Spend literally 5 full hours driving ALL 2016 models (6 variants in total each with less than 12 miles). Yes, I repeat I drove 2016 models with 6 different cars.

Here are my thoughts.

1. 320i Vs. 328i

I feel 320 more (absolutely) light, fun, faster and responsive than 328i. I don't know why. Don't ask me 'why'. -- In this department I took 9 passes in total to decide my power needs. Drove 328i five times and 320i four times. I had my macbook to enter the first (heart) impressions at the end of the each trial.

Cars and algorithm I used in this trial

328 auto/rwd - 320 auto/rwd
328 manual/rwd - 320 manual/rwd
328 auto/awd - 320 auto/awd

Firm ‘Decision#1' was made - Definitely 320as a daily town car.

2. Manual Vs. Auto

No exception, experience matched with the all past threads;

Manual was absolutely engaging. Absolutely. Areas I drove - residential, highways, school zones and took seven passes back to back to make decision for this option. Manual is the practical option if you spend more time driving car casually for example over weekends, less than 20-25 miles a week, on a racing track etc. in short driving as a leisure than daily commute. Manual is the answer. I found manual little tedious in traffic congestion areas and in residential/school areas.

Thoughts: Manual was engaging but modern 8 speed auto was smooth and way impressive than I thought. With auto/RWD combo (BOTH 328 and 320) I was able to spin the real wheels (equal experience to manual) to experience the dynamics in this department. Fun was, I had a free hand and leg with half engagement. I sip and finished half a can of coke during this trial. I ordered Auto since it keeps hands free. And it appeals me in terms of practicality.

Sales person said, he sells manual too in good numbers but those are ‘enthusiast’ according to him and not typical daily commuters. He also clearly explained me the age group and demography to support his argument and observation.

Firm Decision#2 was made - Definitely Auto for my needs. No denial, manual was equally heartily appealing but I didn’t find it practical in DC area.

RWD Vs xDrive

Test vehicles

320i RWD Auto and RWD Manual
320i x Drive Auto

328i RWD Auto and 328i RWD Manual
328i xDrive Auto

I’ll keep this short n sweet.

RWD was absolutely fun. I took over dozen of notes frothier and agree with it. If you know how to drive RWD, no problem managing few snow days a year. I asked sales guy, he said he has over half a dozen guys working at dealership and all with RWD, living in the DC area - no trouble managing life. Also he said, majority purchases in DC area are RWD coz the amount of snow days are barely 5-7 days a year which can be easily manageable.

Firm ‘Decision#3’ was made - after eight passed on transmission choice. - Definitely RWD for my needs and managing life between Philly and DC.

Finally color and handling package.

I drove 428i with handling package at the end followed by the stock suspension 328i. Stock suspension are enough for my needs. But yes, there is a difference with and w/out packages.

Note from sales guy: 2 cars sold every 10 are with handling packages. Majority are stock suspensions only. And those two we sell, 1 is always a custom order due to non availability on lot or to a nearby dealership.

Did I say Alpine White? Actually I thought the new Mediterranean Blue metallic. But will go for white.

Order placed with following options

320i RWD+Auto
Packages
- Light Package
- Drivers Assistance Package

Everything else is stock

Thanks for your time.

Again BIG thanks to a sales guy who told me;

1.Come to dealership.
2. You're not formally on my appointment list today
3. It's a busy labor day that's why I called you
4. I'll be busy with all my formal appointments and virtually with you.
5. I'll give you all 6 keys and come see me once you're ready with no time limits. It's a free lance opportunity to evaluate things the way you want. (He had lined up all brand new 2016 on a side for me before I reached there)

It was my day guys

Last edited by exedba; 09-05-2015 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 09:09 PM   #36
Heel328
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i 6MT

I was in the same boat this spring, and went 2013 328i with 6-speed, for $20.5k cash.

Everyone is happy !!!
1984 944*
1988 16V GTI*
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #37
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Low to mid 30's will quite easily buy you a 2013 CPO car in really good condition. There are 50 CPO 2013/2014 328's for less than 35k within 300 miles of my zip.
      09-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #38
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post
if i could do it again i wouldnt mind the 320 fully iptioned out.
Really? A fully optioned 320 easily gets to $42K--more if you want xDrive. For those $$ you could find a low mileage 328 CPO pretty well equipped.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #39
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I haven't seen Buick Regal in the list, it's a pretty nice car. I owned one before my 335. It has a manual option and it's basically a Opel Insignia.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2015, 01:41 AM   #40
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Would it be a F30 328i or E90 328i CPO ??

Advantage of CPO:
- if it will be the F30, you get more power than in the 320i obviously.
- Lots of room to negociate, negociate hard... they are making lots of profits on a CPO, Chop off at least a couple of thousands...
- you avoid the biggest part of the Depreciation.

Disadvantage of CPO:
- if it will be the E90, i would NOT recommand since it have that anemic transmission.
- if it will be the F30, it could be a loaner being sold to you. (too early to have any leased coming back).
- it's not a brand new car obviously

Advantage of the F30 320i:
- you can spec it the way you want it.
- drive slower to save gas and be safe

Disadvantage of the F30 320i:
- Depreciation on the 320i the first year.
- sensible engine (unless you are starting a family, that wont be a problem, since you will be driving slower and saving gas/money)
- if you are planning to have a family, the new Accords and Huyndai are better value cars, with bigger power !

STICK to you BUdget!

PS:
I am not voting because, either choice are bad from my respect.
I would choose something else for that kind of budget...
alot of 2012 F30 now back from lease, lots of them actually
      09-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #41
st3v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

I don't understand why people think they will get much better mpg with 328i vs 335i. I have a 2013 328i right now, and I get the same mpg as a 2011 335i that I had before that (same driving style, same mix city/highway). Anyways, +/- 1-2 mpg won't make much difference at all when the cars make over 20mpg.

Also, to answer the OP, I'd order a 320i with the new body style. Make sure you get the sport package, as it adds a lot of things for a very minimal price. I would also get Xenons, because it really makes the car look better. If you have never had a BMW before, the 320i should be wonderful.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #42
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good call on the 320i. I would have done the same thing - except I would have gotten the xDrive. Does it snow much in Delaware?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #43
exedba
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Good call on the 320i. I would have done the same thing - except I would have gotten the xDrive. Does it snow much in Delaware?
I gathered the facts and utilized the extract (rational) to make this decision. 3-7 days a year with snow in the NE region is manageable as experienced and explained by me and other RWD folks. BTW my resume has 9 years of 4Runner RWD experience and life was manageable.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:47 PM   #44
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedba View Post
I gathered the facts and utilized the extract (rational) to make this decision. 3-7 days a year with snow in the NE region is manageable as experienced and explained by me and other RWD folks. BTW my resume has 9 years of 4Runner RWD experience and life was manageable.
Appreciate 0