F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW and Apple integration
ARMA SPEED

09-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #45
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Yeah, I got everything

ZMP - pro media
609 - NAV Pro
612 - BMW Assist
616 - BMW Assist Online
688 - HK Sound
6NF - Telehpone USB Audio interface
6NL - Enhanced Bluetooth incl blah blah
6NR - Mobile Application Prep

I think that's all the media types?
      09-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #46
ducatiboy72
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiboy72 View Post
I was really excited about getting the apps option because of BMWs new iPhone SDK which allows all 3 party developers to create iPhone apps integrated with the ca via the plugin feature. This meant we could expect a lot of cool apps.

Apps will not however work unless the lightning connector can do the same as the old one. Or BMW does some hardware changes (or a very smart cradle with both hardware and software. It seems BMW is working on it, lets hope they find a fix for existing cars:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/09...ning-bmw-mini/
You are incorrect.

Your assumptions and that article only applies to those who own the docking cradle with snap-in adaptor. They are the only ones losing any functionality.

For the rest of us who just use the USB port, nothing changes. Just plug the USB end of the new Lightning cord into the USB port in the armrest and you're done.

BMW apps will work just fine with the iPhone 5.

BJ
Yes. If you are using USB you will not loose any functionality. But if you have the cradle and apps option you will loose the plugin functionality.

This might not be a big deal now. But you will miss all future 3 party apps using the plugin functionality now that BMW has enabled 3 party developers to create apps integrated with the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #47
rado
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Yes. If you are using USB you will not loose any functionality. But if you have the cradle and apps option you will loose the plugin functionality.

This might not be a big deal now. But you will miss all future 3 party apps using the plugin functionality now that BMW has enabled 3 party developers to create apps integrated with the car.
Unless you get a new cradle, designed for the iPhone 5. OK, no way to know for sure about a product that doesn't yet exist, but there's no reason to think that a dock designed for the Lightning *connector* would have the same limitations as the Lightning *adapter*. Of course there's also the matter of the cost of a new cradle, esp if you've already ponied up for an iPhone 4/4S cradle. Hopefully some of that cost could be offset by selling your old cradle. My biggest gripe is that the BMW cradles are too expensive.

Last edited by rado; 09-15-2012 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: fixed typo
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #48
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:

I'm sorry, but you're wrong again.

The loss of the not-often-used "iPod Out" function only applies to the $30 Lightning adapter, NOT to the packed-in new Lightning USB cord.

The only function in the current iPhone 4 that's being lost with the iPhone 5 is "video out" and Apple has announced that they'll soon have new cables to deal with that via HDMI.

So....back to BMW....the ONLY function that a current iPhone 4 + BMW Snap-in Adapter owner has that he's going to lose is "video out". "iPod Out" and all the other functions will still exist when BMW releases a new snap-in adapter for the iPhone 5. In the short-term, the snap-in people will pull out the snap-in, plug the new USB cord into the USB port, and use BMW's very good UI as they wait.

To recap for current Snap-in iPhone 4 owners:

Short term:

You plug the new cord into the USB port in the armrest. You get full iPhone music control in iDrive/steering wheel, you get BMW Apps, you get charging. As an added bonus, when using the iPhone for music you can use the split-screen function atop the map and gain overlays of arrow mode and lane-assist when navigating to a destination. You lose video out, "iPod Out" sexy UI, fast charging, better reception, cooling fan.

Long term:

BMW releases the new snap-in for the iPhone 5, you get everything you lost back except for "video out" which Apple is not allowing over this type of connection any longer. You lose the split-screen, arrow mode, and lane-assist when using the Media input as you've done while using the iPhone 4.

BJ

Last edited by boltjames; 09-15-2012 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #49
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
OK. Here's the deal. Can anyone actually provide a clear answer with proof here?

Here's my life:

I have a 4S right now and it's 16GB - it's not beg enough for my needs. I've held off getting the wife a new phone so that when the 5 launched, I could get a 5 64GB and give her my 4S 16GB and everyone's happy. I have specced my new F30 up with all the media toys and have every intention of using a cradle. I wanted (and want) maximum functionality from my iPhone through iDrive. I wanted the snazzy iPod interface so the "media cradle" seemed to be the best option.

Now the iPhone 5 has thrown a spanner in the works, not only because there is no cradle (but I don't mind waiting til March if that is an option) but because there seems to be some confusion over what lightning can do.

Am I right in thinking that if there were an iPhone 5 cradle, right now, that it would have ALL of the funcitonality of the iPhone 4S cradle? Or is this intrinsic lack of "ipod out" a feature of lightning? Or is it just he adapter?

I am perfectly happy to just get a 64GB 4S and a current cradle and be done with it but I'd like to get a 5 if that's an option.

So what can I actually do? What are my options? Oh, and also, the idea of having my phone in a cooled cradle appeals to me beause I know how hot phones get!

Thanks guys
Others mean well but they are giving you wrong information. Your one-sentence answer:

"When BMW releases the new snap-in adapter for the iPhone 5 you get everything back you have today except for video out which you are losing and probably never cared about because it was only good for when the car wasn't moving."

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #50
Haarschmerzen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
As an added bonus, when using the iPhone for music you can use the split-screen function atop the map and gain overlays of arrow mode and lane-assist when navigating to a destination.
BJ
Can you explain this part for me? How can i get overlays of arrow mode and lane assist through my iphone? ;-) Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #51
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
You lose video out, "iPod Out" sexy UI, fast charging, better reception, cooling fan.
iPod Out is awesome, and losing it is a drag. Odd that you try to downplay it, because once you get use to having it, going back is not fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #52
rado
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Others mean well but they are giving you wrong information. Your one-sentence answer:

"When BMW releases the new snap-in adapter for the iPhone 5 you get everything back you have today except for video out which you are losing and probably never cared about because it was only good for when the car wasn't moving."

BJ
I agree with most everything you're saying, but how do you know that you will even lose video out with a new snap-in adapter that doesn't even exist yet? If Apple can make Lightning-to-HDMI and Lightning-to-VGA cables, why couldn't BMW make a snap-in adapter that also handles video?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #53
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
iPod Out is awesome, and losing it is a drag. Odd that you try to downplay it, because once you get use to having it, going back is not fun.
I'm not downplaying anything, and you're not losing iPod Out at all- you're just waiting for BMW to make a snap-in adapter. Three options:

1. Keep your iPhone 4 until March, upgrade to an iPhone 5 when BMW releases the new snap-in which supports iPod Out and you haven't had to live without it.

2. Get the iPhone 5 next week, live without iPod Out for a few months, be the first to have the snap-in adapter and life goes back to normal in March.

3. Get the iPhone 5, connect only through Bluetooth and put a beater iPod Touch in the iPhone 4 snap-in. You lose BMW apps until March but you keep all the sexy UI stuff, playlists, the Apple TV-esque UI etc as an iPod Touch for music can do everything the iPhone 4 can in your snap-in.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #54
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
I agree with most everything you're saying, but how do you know that you will even lose video out with a new snap-in adapter that doesn't even exist yet? If Apple can make Lightning-to-HDMI and Lightning-to-VGA cables, why couldn't BMW make a snap-in adapter that also handles video?
It's possible they can, certainly. One makes the correlation that no analog adapters will allow for video passthru from Apple's decision on their own adapters, but I guess anything's possible should BMW build a snap-in adapter with it's own wrinkles. I'd say it's highly-unlikely, but never say never.

What we do know is that the new white pack-in Apple cable for iPhone 5 which will be USB on one end and Lightning on the other does allow both iPod Out and Video Out. Apple specified on their web product pages for both adapters that those aren't supported but there is no such notation on the USB Cable:

http://ismashphone.com/2012/09/iphon...is-for-me.html

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #55
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haarschmerzen View Post
Can you explain this part for me? How can i get overlays of arrow mode and lane assist through my iphone? Thanks
This is the iPod Out full screen display:

This is the standard BMW full screen display:

This is the iPod Out menu structure:

This is the standard BMW menu structure:

This is what the standard BMW display looks like when you're navigating somewhere (map on left, split-screen album art on right):

This is what the standard BMW display looks like as you approach an exit (album art is overtaken by arrow display):

This is what the standard BMW display looks like as you get closer to the exit (the arrow display changes to a lane assist display):

You lose the last three functions while navigating somewhere (split-screen with LP art, arrow display, and then lane assist display) when you're using the iPod Out feature (via snap-in cradle). They only display when using the standard iPod feature (via USB). There is no split screen with the cradle and iPod Out. It takes over the whole display.

For me, this was a dealbreaker. Not interested in giving up split-screen for sexy Apple album art and menu screens. Too much to sacrifice no matter how much I love my Apple TV and all my iOS devices. It's great to take a drive, see your map on 70% of the screen, see your LP art and song name on 30% of the screen, and every time you are nearing a turn milestone having iDrive overtake the LP art for a moment and give you the arrow display and the lane assist. After the turn is over, the LP art pops back in place. None of this happens with the Cradle and iPod Out. You're either looking at the iPod on the full screen or you're not. Can't have both. I don't recommend giving that functionality up for the sake of an Apple TV looking UI.

BJ

Last edited by boltjames; 09-25-2012 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #56
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

boltjames,

thanks for the iPhone info, very useful.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #57
rado
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

The last three functions while navigating somewhere (split-screen with LP art, arrow display, and then lane assist display) do not overtake and display when you're using the iPod Out feature (via snap-in cradle) but do display when using the standard iPod feature (via USB).

For me, this was a dealbreaker. Not interested in giving up split-screen for sexy Apple album art and navigation screens. Too much to sacrifice no matter how much I love my Apple TV and all my iOS devices.

BJ
Thanks for posting the pics, and I understand your rationale. But with the HUD, I think that's less of an issue, since you get guidance info on the HUD (perhaps the best feature of the HUD, I just wish the HUD was more customizable). Of course you can always jump to the full screen nav display when needed. And there are other benefits of the cradle that have already been mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #58
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rado View Post
Thanks for posting the pics, and I understand your rationale. But with the HUD, I think that's less of an issue, since you get guidance info on the HUD (perhaps the best feature of the HUD, I just wish the HUD was more customizable). Of course you can always jump to the full screen nav display when needed. And there are other benefits of the cradle that have already been mentioned.
I understand your point of view as well. I'm a huge Apple devices fan, am one of those nuts who waits 5 hours on line on the day of the iPad's release, I've got 10 iPod's, 4 iPhone's, 3 Apple TV's, have AirPlay speakers, the works.

Because my kids are in travel baseball, travel soccer, and cross-country track I am always driving somewhere and using my nav 5x a week. So, for me, much as I'd love the iPod Out goodness I just lose all the extras from the nav because almost every time I'm in the car and listening to the iPod, I'm navigating somewhere foreign to me.

Now, if BMW and Apple would just get their act together on the implementation of iPod Out, different story.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #59
jwilly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: They're all white now.

Looking forward to the final answer so this thread can be locked.

Joel

That's a lot of white
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #60
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilly View Post
Looking forward to the final answer so this thread can be locked.

Joel
Well, this upcoming Friday, I have an iPhone 5 arriving. Unfortunately the standalone adapter doesn't ship until October. Maybe one will come in the box?

I also have Apps/Cradle.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #61
ducatiboy72
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: F31 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames
Quote:

The loss of the not-often-used "iPod Out" function only applies to the $30 Lightning adapter, NOT to the packed-in new Lightning USB cord.

The only function in the current iPhone 4 that's being lost with the iPhone 5 is "video out" and Apple has announced that they'll soon have new cables to deal with that via HDMI.

So....back to BMW....the ONLY function that a current iPhone 4 + BMW Snap-in Adapter owner has that he's going to lose is "video out". "iPod Out" and all the other functions will still exist when BMW releases a new snap-in adapter for the iPhone 5. In the short-term, the snap-in people will pull out the snap-in, plug the new USB cord into the USB port, and use BMW's very good UI as they wait.

To recap for current Snap-in iPhone 4 owners:

Short term:

You plug the new cord into the USB port in the armrest. You get full iPhone music control in iDrive/steering wheel, you get BMW Apps, you get charging. As an added bonus, when using the iPhone for music you can use the split-screen function atop the map and gain overlays of arrow mode and lane-assist when navigating to a destination. You lose video out, "iPod Out" sexy UI, fast charging, better reception, cooling fan.

Long term:

BMW releases the new snap-in for the iPhone 5, you get everything you lost back except for "video out" which Apple is not allowing over this type of connection any longer. You lose the split-screen, arrow mode, and lane-assist when using the Media input as you've done while using the iPhone 4.

BJ
How am I wrong? According to BMW from the Wired article:
"but the automaker’s PlugIn feature – enabling video playback while stationary and the mirrored Apple interface – is officially out."

There is no proof that this can be fixed with a new cradle yet unless you know someone at BMW who knows more than the person quoted in the article?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #62
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
How am I wrong? According to BMW from the Wired article:

"but the automakers PlugIn feature enabling video playback while stationary and the mirrored Apple interface is officially out."

There is no proof that this can be fixed with a new cradle yet unless you know someone at BMW who knows more than the person quoted in the article?

You need to re-read the first sentence in that quote:

"BMW spokespeople made it emphatically clear that owners will still be able to listen to music, podcasts and other audio over the built-in stereo, along with accessing BMW Apps and Mini Connected features using the combination of the new Lightning adaptor fitted to the existing 30-pin connector and the duo of USB and 1/8-inch audio jack supplied by both BMW and Mini. So yes, the tunes will continue to flow, but the automaker’s PlugIn feature – enabling video playback while stationary and the mirrored Apple interface – is officially out."

I made it big and highlighted it in red. They are referring to using the $30 ACCESSORY LIGHTNING ADAPTER again. Please listen to what I'm saying. That adapter isn't part of this conversation. There is something in the adapter that doesn't allow iPod Out. Since the theoretical iPhone 5 snap-in cradle won't need this $30 adapter, it's a non-issue. Look at the photo (above). See the white adapter? Not part of the snap-in of the future. I'm not even sure who would use that adapter in that fashion. Some car with a hard wired 30 pin connector? An old analog Y cable? It doesn't apply to the F30. That adapter, which is the ONLY thing that article talks about is not necessary with a dock, a cradle, a snap-in, or the existing USB port. Nothing to do with us.

Was that clear? I can go over this again for the 5th time but I'd rather not. Wipe the $30 adapter from your mind. Stop posting about it. Nothing to do with the F30.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #63
boltjames
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
boltjames,

thanks for the iPhone info, very useful.
Glad to be of service. I updated a few of the shots for the sake of clarity.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #64
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah thanks BJ
      09-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #65
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a thought ... I have a tonne of books in Audible, can I play them through iDrive?
      09-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #66
bmwrules
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Phytonic Blue X3 M40

I have a question for you BJ as you seem to be the authority on this subject. In your screen shots I saw the different ways to sort through the songs on your iOS device. But I didn't see playlists as an option. When I had my 2007 335 coupe I had iDrive hooked to my iPod and later iPhone via the old y cable and I could play songs via my playlists which is my preferred way. My current 128 only has the auxiliary jack. At the end of next March or early April I'll be leasing a F30. Does the system in it support playlists for iOS devices?

I'll have an iPhone 5 by then so I've been very interested in your discussion on how it will work in the F30.
Formerly Owned: 2001 Titanium Silver 330i,2004 Orient Blue 545i,2006 Titanium Silver 330i,2007 Montego Blue 335i Coupe,2010 Blue Water Metallic 128i Coupe,2013 Estoril Blue 335i M Sport,2012 Space Gray X5 xDrive35i Premium,2016 Estoril Blue M235,2017 Mineral White xDrive 35
Appreciate 0