F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > CHAMP 2 business nav upgrade to pro nav
ARMA SPEED

02-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
Maroondestroyer
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 320D X-Drive

CHAMP 2 business nav upgrade to pro nav

Hi,

Been searching for a while about upgrading my CHAMP 2 with 606 business nav to the 609 pro nav.

I'm looking for info on what is needed. Because my car already has gps module. Is it as simple as purchasing Pro unit and then coding it? Or am I missing some other details?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #2
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

There is some info around here in the forum. I remember not long ago there was the same question. Search will help you...

Main point will be whether you have a combox or not?
Also whether you want to retrofit CIC High or NBT...
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Maroondestroyer
Private
Rep

Hi,

No, there is no combox. So, I was.thinking NBT would be the easier option.

I'm on the verge of buying a NBT HIGH and then 'taking it from there'. But don't want it to turn out to be an epic job.

Am I right in thinking to fit CIC, i will need to fit a combox?(that is my understanding as to why I thought NBT would be better).
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

Yes you are right. I'd go for NBT.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

NBT is plug and play with your old unit. Given you have a GPS module already you don't need to worry about that. It is easy to do the fit, pull the trim off towards you (with the vents) above the controls, pull the trim below the controls down and it pops off. Four torx screws and the panel comes of. Two torx screws and the HU is out. Two torx screws for the screen as well.

You will need an emulator cable (£150) for it or FSC code (probably more expensive).

Furthermore, depending upon the age of the car you may need a module to enable the touch controller. Another thing is you may have to turn the connection into the usb cable in the arm rest by 180 degrees but test it before doing this.

Lift off the trim with the idrive controller, pull out connection, undo three screws and switch them over.

Turn on unit check powers up then start coding

One thing is essential - watch the bloody screen screws as they love to fall inside your car
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
Maroondestroyer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peikko View Post
NBT is plug and play with your old unit. Given you have a GPS module already you don't need to worry about that. It is easy to do the fit, pull the trim off towards you (with the vents) above the controls, pull the trim below the controls down and it pops off. Four torx screws and the panel comes of. Two torx screws and the HU is out. Two torx screws for the screen as well.

You will need an emulator cable (£150) for it or FSC code (probably more expensive).

Furthermore, depending upon the age of the car you may need a module to enable the touch controller. Another thing is you may have to turn the connection into the usb cable in the arm rest by 180 degrees but test it before doing this.

Lift off the trim with the idrive controller, pull out connection, undo three screws and switch them over.

Turn on unit check powers up then start coding

One thing is essential - watch the bloody screen screws as they love to fall inside your car

Thanks. Waiting on screen lead and emulator, hopefully get it done this weekend if they come.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

good luck, I did this on a HU Entry car and the work is a piece of cake. Another top tip, lay something on your trim inside the car as I scratched mine with the HU whilst doing the connectors up. Afterwards it became sooo obvious.

I just changed cars and have a combox which = nightmare. However, as I am wiring from the boot it gives me an excuse to get a rear view camera kit for £150
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Maroon destroyer why are you waiting on a screen lead? Curious as when I bought my NBT it came with screen with cable, Headunit and controller.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
Maroondestroyer
Private
Rep

I bought them separately. (Worked out cheaper).
I may have a look at the camera also, once i get this in. Lead is here so I will do it Friday.
I will lay something down to save the scratches too. Cheers for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Maroon,

Here is a step by step guide for what you are doing by Steddyman.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=942661

There is also a guide to coding in this thread or are you getting it remotely coded? Emtronic or Patryk at bimmer tech offer this service.

Like I said I dropped a screw inside the car when putting the NBT screen in (oops) and scratched the aluminium trim beside the cup holders... I also stabbed myself with a Stanley knife trying to alter the USB cable.. But hey, it was worth it
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
Maroondestroyer
Private
Rep

Of what I've read, my CHAMP HU is a straight swap and the USB is the correct fitting. ����

I will code it myself.

Stop going on about the screw, your convincing me that I'm going yo drop one. Believe me, I won't need encouragement, I'll screw it up all by myself lol.

Why is it, the easy jobs are the ones that you cut yourself and injur yourself. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:53 AM   #12
SeiFeR77
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 2014

Hi Maroondestroyer,

my apologies for posting in the older thread, but I'm looking to do something similar and wated to asked your advice on a couple of points.

I recently bought a second hand F20 dated 02/2014 with the following relevant options:

S606 Navigation system Business
S698 Area-Code 2 for DVD
S6NH Hands-free with USB interface
S6VB Control for Infotainment

I checked and I have no Combox in the trunk. Also, according to a lot of a reading I believe I also have a HU_CHAMP2. I haven't bought an ENET cable yet, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

So, my question to you is the following:
Can I just buy an NBT HU (ProNav) like the following:
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/BMW-F01-...8AAOSwcLxYGfDb

... and use that to replace my HU_CHAMP2? All necessary cables etc would fit?
I already have a USB/Aux in the armrest and I alos have GPS and Bluetooth + Mic as well I believe.
Also, as my car is from 02/2014 it should already have the correct iDrive controller (K-CAN2).

Also, I see lot of NBT HU's being 'HARMAN'? Is this only usable if you have a Harman Kardon soundsystem or such?
I also see some NBT's being named 'mini NBT' ... what's the difference wit 'non-MINI' or normal NBT HU's?

Can someone confirm the part number of an NBT HU that would correctly fit my F20? Is it 9351670??

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on my questions :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:56 AM   #13
Jay928S4GT
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 928s4 GT, GC6

[QUOTE=Maroondestroyer;19453057]
Hi, we (my wife) purchased an F30 (June 2013 plate). It has the 6.5” screen with the Nav built in. Looks really dated with low res screen and terrible outdated map. We want a better screen with much better update maps - much like the 8.5” with split screen. This will make her life easier (especially with the kids in the back ). I Did some checks. The head unit is ‘CHAMP2’ with S606 Navigation System business. On the Nav screen it reads version ‘Road map Europe MOVE 2013. I read your post and it seems you have the same spec car and have successfully replaced yours with an 8.5”. Well done! I am an engineer so should be able to do this but I don’t have your experience in terms of what I need and the coding that needs to be done (if any). Can you help. I’m in the Maidenhead, UK area. Br/
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #14
fluffuser
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hi Jay,

How did you get on?

I'm looking to replace the 606 Business Nav that came in my 2014 M135 with a NBT headunit myself.

I already have a used 8.8 inch screen but found that the champ2 headunit cannot have DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION coded to "8.8_1280x480". I just get No Signal shown in the middle of the for the 8.8 display.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0