F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > That booming sound system.
GetBMWParts

01-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
yellowllewellyn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

That booming sound system.

Can anyone share their opinion or thoughts on the standard speakers in the car. And is it worth it to get the upgraded ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

I believe the upgrade is worth it... i have the HK, it might not be the best systems out there, but it's definitely better than the standard speakers...

If you are not too big on sound, and usually are driving with the radio/music off:
just skip the upgrade...

But if your ears are exigent, you will feel sorry for not buying the HK...

I went the safer route and ordered the HK.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
rjc32000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335Xi M Sport 6MT

I'm more than happy with the premium (but non HK) system in my U.S. 328. I sat in two cars on the showroom and tried both stereos out for some time, and would up thinking the money would be better spent elsewhere. But I suppose this is really a personal decision. I've never had a booming system in any of my cars, and the stock stereo is pretty awesome to my ears. YMMV.
2013 328Xi M Sport - Glacier Silver - RETIRED
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

I am working with Integral Audio on an F30 specific upgrade package. Should be about a month before everything is installed. I will report back once I have some time with it.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Handozizle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Do you like music? Or are you just the type who will play radio most of the time? I opt for the HK because my iPod with 40G worth of music travels with me everywhere i go. I've only heard the stock system on an X5 and it's pretty good as long as you're not too picky with your EQ settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

I had the standard speakers in my E90 and, while they sounded good, if i was listening with the windows open, it seemed I couldn't get the volume loud enough....it would max out and start to sound poor.

I got the HK's on my F30 and love it.

...and I do consider myself a music-geek so quality is important to me.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Does anyone know if the tech package will read flac files?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
yellowllewellyn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handozizle View Post
Do you like music? Or are you just the type who will play radio most of the time? I opt for the HK because my iPod with 40G worth of music travels with me everywhere i go. I've only heard the stock system on an X5 and it's pretty good as long as you're not too picky with your EQ settings.
I'm big into my iPad music. I have the iPhone 5. So hopefully eyes free and lighting adaptor will be available on the 14MY. I enjoy listening to the car, but sometimes you just gotta roll the windows down and cruse with a great playlist. So that's where I'm at.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
yellowllewellyn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handozizle View Post
I'm big into my iPad music. I have the iPhone 5. So hopefully eyes free and lighting adaptor will be available on the 14MY. I enjoy listening to the car, but sometimes you just gotta roll the windows down and cruse with a great playlist. So that's where I'm at.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
KarbD
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowllewellyn View Post
Can anyone share their opinion or thoughts on the standard speakers in the car. And is it worth it to get the upgraded ones.
I have the F30 with Hifi speakers and I regret not getting the HK upgrade. If you listen to anything with bass then you will be disappointed in these speakers. I am amazed at how terrible the system is- it starts distorting as soon as i put it up a little bit (not loud but maybe 50%). My 2010 Honda Accord had better speakers stock.

I asked the dealer if it was possible to upgrade after the fact and they said at this point no. I took it over to an audio shop where they work on high end audio systems all the time and they said they can customize a system for my car. Im scheduled to take it in for a complete upgrade- i'll let you know how it turns out. Its going to cost me alot more than the $895 HK system but at this point i dont see any other option.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
Id
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

That is one thing I am disappointed with. I have the Dynaudio system in my current Golf and it is far superior to the Hifi speakers. Might have to have a listen to the HK, or just go for a small aftermarket setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
jamesems
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarbD View Post
I have the F30 with Hifi speakers and I regret not getting the HK upgrade. If you listen to anything with bass then you will be disappointed in these speakers. I am amazed at how terrible the system is- it starts distorting as soon as i put it up a little bit (not loud but maybe 50%). My 2010 Honda Accord had better speakers stock.

I asked the dealer if it was possible to upgrade after the fact and they said at this point no. I took it over to an audio shop where they work on high end audio systems all the time and they said they can customize a system for my car. Im scheduled to take it in for a complete upgrade- i'll let you know how it turns out. Its going to cost me alot more than the $895 HK system but at this point i dont see any other option.
Which Shop?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
KarbD
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesems View Post
Which Shop?
Getting it installed today.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/street-sound-plus-north-hills
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
asjsrs1
Rep
Drives: BMW 318D F30

I also have the standard hifi in my F30.
Must say for a car that cost so much the standard high is appalling.

On my previous car, a Mercedes c class I had the HK upgrade.
I really regret not getting this option when I ordered.

For anybody getting a new F30 it really is a no-brainer.
If you can just get the upgrade option or you will regret it like me.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
I am working with Integral Audio on an F30 specific upgrade package. Should be about a month before everything is installed. I will report back once I have some time with it.
Do you have an update, my friend?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
Porsche Power
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M-sport 19" EBII

Coming from F11 with Professional Audio to an F31 with standard audio I'm deeply regretting not getting pro audio or HKs. Sound is poor at best...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
64-bit
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 Ford Raptor - On Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Please, let me know as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
CLittle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarbD View Post
KarbD, will you post some pics and let us know what they were able to fit into our doors?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche Power View Post
Coming from F11 with Professional Audio to an F31 with standard audio I'm deeply regretting not getting pro audio or HKs. Sound is poor at best...
Keep in mind that standard audio is not an option in the US (except maybe for the 320i...) - it is available on certain models in Canada but only for lower trims (328i xDrive Classic for example). The sound quality is dismal, to say the least...

I haven't extensively played Hi-Fi or HK in the F30, but my E90's Hi-Fi system sounds pretty good, so I'm thinking the F30 Hi-Fi should be on par with what I have now.

I'd rather splurge on nice audio equipment at home than try to put audiophile gear in a car, where the environment sucks anyway (noise, sound stage, listener position, etc).

2021 X3 M40i, Phytonic/Cognac
Past:
2017 330i xDrive Touring M Sport, EBII, Dinan
2014 328d xDrive Touring M Sport, BSM/CR.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Keep in mind that standard audio is not an option in the US (except maybe for the 320i...) - it is available on certain models in Canada but only for lower trims (328i xDrive Classic for example). The sound quality is dismal, to say the least...

I haven't extensively played Hi-Fi or HK in the F30, but my E90's Hi-Fi system sounds pretty good, so I'm thinking the F30 Hi-Fi should be on par with what I have now.

I'd rather splurge on nice audio equipment at home than try to put audiophile gear in a car, where the environment sucks anyway (noise, sound stage, listener position, etc).
+1. The Hi-Fi system in the US models is actually pretty decent. I never found the bass to distort under moderately loud volumes. The standard hi-fi system actually even comes with shallow-profile sub woofers under each of the front seats which give a good punch when you turn up the volume. I do not agree with one of the above posts which stated that the bass gets muddy at 50% volume. The base response is good down to 25Hz. Actually there was some response even below 20Hz but that was far below -3db from the average levels.

However, I find the tweeters a bit on the brighter side. Also the equalization is pretty basic with just bass and treble adjustments (which I am actually fine with since it is easier to screw up with a 9 band equalizer unless you use some kind of parametric equalization).

The amplifier is rated under 200W while the HK system is rated at more than double the power. However, that should not really matter since doubling the amp power would only give a 3db increase in volume levels. Now, I'm not sure if the HK system uses more efficient drivers. In any case the standard Hi-Fi system gets absurdly loud if you really want it to.

If I was really serious about sound, I would skip the $850 on the HK and spend $2K- $4K on a "real" after market system -- but then again I would spend that money on my home audio rather than car audio since the car's sound environment is anyway messed up badly due to road, wind, traffic noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #21
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
+1. The Hi-Fi system in the US models is actually pretty decent. I never found the bass to distort under moderately loud volumes. The standard hi-fi system actually even comes with shallow-profile sub woofers under each of the front seats which give a good punch when you turn up the volume. I do not agree with one of the above posts which stated that the bass gets muddy at 50% volume. The base response is good down to 25Hz. Actually there was some response even below 20Hz but that was far below -3db from the average levels.

However, I find the tweeters a bit on the brighter side. Also the equalization is pretty basic with just bass and treble adjustments (which I am actually fine with since it is easier to screw up with a 9 band equalizer unless you use some kind of parametric equalization).

The amplifier is rated under 200W while the HK system is rated at more than double the power. However, that should not really matter since doubling the amp power would only give a 3db increase in volume levels. Now, I'm not sure if the HK system uses more efficient drivers. In any case the standard Hi-Fi system gets absurdly loud if you really want it to.

If I was really serious about sound, I would skip the $850 on the HK and spend $2K- $4K on a "real" after market system -- but then again I would spend that money on my home audio rather than car audio since the car's sound environment is anyway messed up badly due to road, wind, traffic noise.
+1.

I think HK speakers have lower impedance ratings. I should order a F31 soon so I'll have to make a decision with regards to the audio system - it only comes with the Executive package here so I'm not sure I want to spend $1700 to get it. I'll have to play with both & listen to a reference track...

BTW, the E90's Individual (Dirac Live) system was incredible IIRC... it was available in Canada but not the US.

2021 X3 M40i, Phytonic/Cognac
Past:
2017 330i xDrive Touring M Sport, EBII, Dinan
2014 328d xDrive Touring M Sport, BSM/CR.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post

The HiFi is okay for most people, but it is not a very powerful system. The Bass get's distorted at relatively low volumes.
Appreciate 0