F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
GetBMWParts

01-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #177
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Ok Shaun thanks. I guess I expected the VO coding of the NBT to do that. I'll try setting those and see what happens.
It should if you used a date before 0713.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #178
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Of course! That makes perfect sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #179
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

Looks like I left my account logged in somewhere and someone replaced some images...I'll fix it tomorrpw
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #180
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Arrgghh. Talk about frustrating. It looks like bimmertech have either sent me a faulty or the wrong Emulator for my car.

I tried fitting it, and it is clear the emulator is missing what look like some of the most important pins on the cable. The knurled black and thick green cable which are in the top right below.

With the Emulator in place Nav is enabled, but nearly everything else is broken. There is no sound, volume controls do nothing on unit and on wheel, it won't connect via bluetooth any longer either. It also will not VO code any longer, it just reports the usual error you get when it can't find the ECU to code. I've had to remove it and put it back without the Emulator and everything (apart from Nav) is now working again.

Can anyone tell me what these two connections do?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 07:42 AM   #181
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just found this for other BMW radios. Looks like these are the MOST connectors unless I am mistaken.

http://www.bavariancoding.com/wp-con...New_Series.pdf

The Emulator came with no instructions, not sure if it should have done. Am I supposed to remove those two cables from the existing connector block and plug them direct into the other end of the emulator (NBT end)?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #182
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bro, you paid good money for this thing. You ought to get instructions and support.

Incidentally, you never updated me in iDrive Controller issue? Were those 4 FDL Codes set wrong based on the VO Date?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 09:42 AM   #183
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Shawn. Went back to bimmertech and they told me to move the MOST connector into the NBT side. Done that and it is now working fine.

I am going to try those FDL codes now. I've been waiting for the emulator before fixing. I think this will probably work, because the NBT has Touch in the Settings menu, so I suspect it is enabled.

PS if you FDL code something, I presume if you later VO code that ECO those changes will be lost?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #184
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ahh, very good then.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #185
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Damn. I can't seem to FDL code it with the Emulator installed. It seems to do the same as when I had the MOST cable installed. I get the following error:

[HU_NBT - 63] finalizeECUCoding error
[HU_NBT - 63] There was an error during TAL execution, please check the log files.
[Exception - HU_NBT - 63] job failed with negative response error:
code: service returned global negative response
description: Service WDBI_CPS returned a negative response with response code requestOutOfRange; ECU: HU_NBT_63_ETHERNET
severity: ERROR
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #186
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Been in contact with bimmertech. It appears they tell me I cannot code the NBT with the Emulator installed, but they can do it for me remotely!

He has had to authorise is coder to do it for me remotely, though how he will do this I have no idea.

I really don't like the idea that somebody has control over what I can and cannot do on my car. Especially given I paid for £300 for this Emulator when I could have got one on eBay for £60. Has anyone come across this before?

If I return it, can I flash the NBT with my own VIN. If I did that what sort of costs would I be looking at to get Maps and Apps FSC codes enabled?

Last edited by steddyman; 01-11-2014 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #187
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Been in contact with bimmertech. It appears they tell me I cannot code the NBT with the Emulator installed, but they can do it for me remotely!

He has had to authorise is coder to do it for me remotely, though how he will do this I have no idea.

I really don't like the idea that somebody has control over what I can and cannot do on my car. Especially given I paid for £300 for this Emulator when I could have got one on eBay for £60. Has anyone come across this before?

If I return it, can I flash the NBT with my own VIN. If I did that what sort of costs would I be looking at to get Maps and Apps FSC codes enabled?
This unable to code with Emulator is news to me. These guys at Bimmer-Tech and Bimmer Retrofit are quite smart, and develop their own custom coding tools, and will have you connect car directly to your router and forward a port on it, and then they code car, and of course you will have no idea what is being done, as you can't see anything.

Are you not able to FDL Code it with the Emulator disconnected? I know VO Code won't work because of VIN, but I would think FDL Coding should be possible.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #188
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I will be able to FDL code it with the Emulator removed, but it takes me a while to get the Emulator out and it was dark again when I realised it wouldn't work.

When I challenged why I couldn't code the car myself, this is the response I got:

Quote:
No, I did not sell you any coding lock. This is how the module works. There is a possibility to code the car but we are not giving any info related to coding.
If you are not satisfied with this option I can only offer you a refund if you return the module.
So they said they will code these 4 settings for me remotely using TeamViewer and some other apps, including tcm801 and E_F_Remote apps which also need installing.

I haven't finished with this NBT yet. Office (txt's, etc) and Apps are not working currently and I will want to update the maps. I don't want to find I paid more than £300 for a device that cripples my coding options. Very annoyed at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #189
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I will be able to FDL code it with the Emulator removed, but it takes me a while to get the Emulator out and it was dark again when I realised it wouldn't work.

When I challenged why I couldn't code the car myself, this is the response I got:

So they said they will code these 4 settings for me remotely using TeamViewer and some other apps, including tcm801 and E_F_Remote apps which also need installing.

I haven't finished with this NBT yet. Office (txt's, etc) and Apps are not working currently and I will want to update the maps. I don't want to find I paid more than £300 for a device that cripples my coding options. Very annoyed at the moment.
Yes, they do it this way as well, but same thing. Here, after TeamViewer Session is established, they will create a VPN Tunnel and come in and blank your screen, so you will still see nothing.

tcm801 is nothing more than Total Commnder File Manager for transferring the files they need. E_F_Remote apps is nothing more than a few EDIABAS files (.prg) that they need to do their coding work.

Assuming Head Unit has or will have a 9C 6NR Apps FSC Code, you need to make sure that besides just coding the 4 iTouch FDL's that for BMW Apps, A4A_REMOTE_APPS = aktiv and CONNECTED_DRIVE = aktiv is coded, and for Office, MACRO_PIM = aktiv is coded.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #190
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Do you think I should return this Shawn? I am very uncomfortable with anyone having this level of control over something installed in my car.

If I do return it, what are my other options to get the system I am looking for? Do the cheap emulators you referenced before not have this problem?

If I pm you are you able to let me know what sort of prices I would need to pay to get all this enabled with my cars Vin?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #191
F30EDR
Private
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire F30

I don't believe they can disable coding with their emulator, but that is BS if they do that. You paid premium and it should allow you to do what other emulators can. Not all socket seem to be connected with their cable, and is likely why it's preventing you from coding. The pre-wired emulator I got has wires on all socket.

I would return that junk and get it from eBay instead. Get the pre-wired ones. It'll costs you more but you won't have to splice and fight with the short cable.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #192
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Bimmertech are now telling me all Emulators would disable coding due to the way they work. Anyone got experience of different Emulators that they have been able to continue coding?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #193
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
This unable to code with Emulator is news to me. These guys at Bimmer-Tech and Bimmer Retrofit are quite smart, and develop their own custom coding tools, and will have you connect car directly to your router and forward a port on it, and then they code car, and of course you will have no idea what is being done, as you can't see anything.

Are you not able to FDL Code it with the Emulator disconnected? I know VO Code won't work because of VIN, but I would think FDL Coding should be possible.
Maybe that's just their emulator. The one that came with my NBT lets me FDL code my HU_NBT fine without any issues.

I removed the legal disclaimer and changed my startup screen last night with no issues at all.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #194
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This is ridiculous. If coding works with other Emulators, it should work with theirs too, and if it does not, one can only assume it is by design that way, because it is not a technological limitation. I don't get it.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 03:33 PM   #195
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Do you think I should return this Shawn? I am very uncomfortable with anyone having this level of control over something installed in my car.

If I do return it, what are my other options to get the system I am looking for? Do the cheap emulators you referenced before not have this problem?

If I pm you are you able to let me know what sort of prices I would need to pay to get all this enabled with my cars Vin?
This is entirely up to you. If it is true that you cannot code car with their Emulator, and can with others, then I would certainly want the other version.

I doubt I would ever go OEM Activation though. For OEM FSC Codes, you are looking at around $700 for Nav, $700 for Voice, and $250 for BMW Apps. NBT also has an additional FSC Code for Text-To-Speech, but I have no idea on the cost of it.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #196
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Just return the emulator. No use in using something that's going to bring you more trouble.

The one I have never interfered with me FDL coding anything so it's not true that all emulators are like that.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #197
F30EDR
Private
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Just return the emulator. No use in using something that's going to bring you more trouble.

The one I have never interfered with me FDL coding anything so it's not true that all emulators are like that.
+1

I can do both VO and FDL coding on my retrofitted NBT with hardware emulator. Even if bimmertech promises to do lifetime FDL coding for you for free, I wouldn't keep it
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #198
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I am not happy I cannot code it myself, but Patryk and Men from Bimmertech have been more than generous and fair in helping me resolve these issues via remote coding. I can understand why there kit costs more with the support they are giving.

I think if I can get all my issues resolved then I will keep it and would actually recommend the Emulator.

Still I have the following problems, don't know if anyone can help here:

1. I have rewired the USB by rotating 180 degrees on the NBT then swapping the Data+/- and 5v/Gnd signals in a USB extension cable. USB keys and Android phones work fine but for some reason any iPhone I have tried, just constantly connects and disconnects about 3 times per second.

2. The Office functions never show me any messages on the phone. All my contacts are there, but it always reports no messages.

3. The BMW Live does not work, though it is enabled. It also reports there was a problem communicating with the network. It is paired with my phone and has a 3G connection.

Appreciate any help and advice.
Appreciate 0